Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

Smoke wagon. Yeah it’s walnut hill. image.thumb.png.8de185581dc81c8ee5705af9ec886026.png

My specs can’t give away smoke wagon right now. 

Blenders Select Rye sounds interesting. How’s the Malted Rye? Just couldn’t pull the trigger for $80. 

I’m trying to figure out where Smoke Wagon went wrong. Not their pricing. Aged high rye MGP costs what it costs. Not their marketing. Cool bottle and Chepenik has quite the social media following. I think they just made too much. U/U still tastes terrific, but I’m not motivated to buy another bottle when I already have 3 and it’s readily available everywhere. 

On 6/21/2023 at 10:09 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Blenders Select Rye sounds interesting. How’s the Malted Rye? Just couldn’t pull the trigger for $80. 

I’m trying to figure out where Smoke Wagon went wrong. Not their pricing. Aged high rye MGP costs what it costs. Not their marketing. Cool bottle and Chepenik has quite the social media following. I think they just made too much. U/U still tastes terrific, but I’m not motivated to buy another bottle when I already have 3 and it’s readily available everywhere. 

Secondary bourbon market in Texas has major ADD issues. Smoke Wagon collected dust in almost every market except ours for some reason. Once the shine wore off it was onto another bullshit bottle. I think the newest craze is the Rebecca Creek double oak. 

Official “In” Post - Pickled Liver Society Charity Barrel #385

7 year MGP - 123.92 proof (second highest of this 3XX run but drinks much lower). 

Very excited to offer up this most excellent cherry bomb pick benefitting a charity very near and dear to those involved with it. EVERY dollar (not profit - every single dollar) is going to benefit Houston’s MD Anderson Cancer Center. To eradicate this terrible silent killer and offer some hope to those battling this f&@king monster. 

We have exactly 86 🍼 to offer in total. And ask that you please limit to 2 max. Will do my absolute best to accommodate everyone.  Please fill out the google doc attached. 

Cost: 120 per 🍼 plus 20 🛳️ flat (up to 2)

We greatly appreciate your support and F@ck Cancer!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10IkuGcgu0D15O3qqRO3hH_9Ls77e-q7VTKbUQHri4ys/edit

A5DC8BB8-1F15-41F9-89A8-55DE768F3817.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

BEP is a hot mess. Glad I tried it, but I won’t buy a second bottle. 

Private Select sets a high bar, but their special releases should be better. 

Most of the special editions aren’t better than Maker’s 101.  None of it rises to any level of greatness. 

On 6/23/2023 at 12:35 PM, HRSchenker said:

Secondary bourbon market in Texas has major ADD issues. Smoke Wagon collected dust in almost every market except ours for some reason. Once the shine wore off it was onto another bullshit bottle. I think the newest craze is the Rebecca Creek double oak. 

Of course I say this and check out Spec's on Walnut Hill late Saturday night. So many Smoke Wagon UCUF on the shelf. Not moving at all. 

I have no idea of the particulars, but the Smoke Wagon case study is a fascinating one.

As everyone has said, it's readily available with cases stacked up at Spec's. I walked into a Total Wine the other day, and they had a "Limit 1" and sold out shelf of SW UU. So the Total Wine customers aren't fully aware of the SW glut at Spec's. 

I wonder if Chepenik overextended on his purchase of MGP barrels and now has too much juice. I also think they have too many SKUs now and it's had a negative affect on buyers. A couple of years ago it was Small Batch and Uncut/Unfiltered. Pretty easy decision if you found it on the shelf. Now we've added Uncut the Younger (this is dumb), their cheaper $30 product with different themed bottles, and 3 different ryes. What used to be an easy decision has become complicated. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 1:24 PM, Bert Orange said:

Official “In” Post - Pickled Liver Society Charity Barrel #385

7 year MGP - 123.92 proof (second highest of this 3XX run but drinks much lower). 

Very excited to offer up this most excellent cherry bomb pick benefitting a charity very near and dear to those involved with it. EVERY dollar (not profit - every single dollar) is going to benefit Houston’s MD Anderson Cancer Center. To eradicate this terrible silent killer and offer some hope to those battling this f&@king monster. 

We have exactly 86 🍼 to offer in total. And ask that you please limit to 2 max. Will do my absolute best to accommodate everyone.  Please fill out the google doc attached. 

Cost: 120 per 🍼 plus 20 🛳️ flat (up to 2)

We greatly appreciate your support and F@ck Cancer!

A5DC8BB8-1F15-41F9-89A8-55DE768F3817.jpeg

I do not want to out anyone, so would Messers Pace, Ramsey and Krenzke please shoot me a DM to get these settled?

many thanks

Edited by Bert Orange

On 6/1/2023 at 8:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Green River Bourbon ain’t bad for $35. Good nose and palette, thin finish. It’s a high rye 5 year old bourbon from a new distillery that was acquired by Bardstown in 2022. It’s better and cheaper than the high rye Origin Series. I can see why they bought out the competition. 

I’d compare to a high rye MGP of a similar age/proof. 

Yep, Green River has good juice. Their $35 high rye and wheated bourbons are gonna move once the word trickles out. 

I've been laughing my ass off at this all morning long. Within a year Smoke Wagon has gone from being impossible to find under $150 on secondary to being relegated to an end cap. Fuck Tilted Bottle, fuck the guy who runs it, and fuck Specs for ruining the bourbon market in Texas.

20230630_100759.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I've been laughing my ass off at this all morning long. Within a year Smoke Wagon has gone from being impossible to find under $150 on secondary to being relegated to an end cap. Fuck Tilted Bottle, fuck the guy who runs it, and fuck Specs for ruining the bourbon market in Texas.

20230630_100759.jpg

The only thing that changed, and it’s the single biggest change, is that aged stocks of MGP disappeared. So every reputation of every NDP sourcing MGP changed with that change. Smooth Ambler isn’t bottling the old stuff either. Because they have no more. 

He’s trying to keep his business humming on a name / history, without the product. 

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:17 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Prepare to have your minds blown. First sip of Maker’s 46 Cask Strength was just now. 
IMG_1163.thumb.jpeg.908cac580de2c2e6971ac615997a48bf.jpeg

Got one at specs. $10 cheaper than bills jr. This is delicious with a big ice cube. 

Tell me more about Cinnamon Roll Man…

It’s our club pick of a litchfield rye.
It tastes like red hots/cinnamon rolls. In a good way, not like fireball.
It’s our 3rd one we’ve done.
Litchfield is out of Connecticut and they have some pretty good whiskey.
47afbc5dd56824d00f39db36836e728c.jpg
You can get a pretty good Goody Goody pick of one in the DFW area
  • Like 1