Bourbon

Jimbaround

I’m not real thrilled where Lux Row is headed. Rebel 10, gift shop stuff is still good, but the Ezra and Rebel Distiller Collection picks have been disappointing. And they’ve jacked up the price of Ezra Brooks 7 from $35 to roughly $70.

I tried to get into another Rebel DC pick recently, and I just couldn’t do it neat. 

On 5/27/2023 at 10:05 PM, Mo Horn said:

Went to a local Facebook bourbon group gathering tonight. There were 50 different bottles that people brought to share. Tried several different things, and had a great time. We won the door prize. 25 different pours to taste and comment on. It was a great night.

FB_IMG_1685242287171.jpg.ed51aa3132c9d12adb9837130df463fe.jpg

Did our first tasting of what I won last weekend. Us and another couple tried 1-9, and then skipped to the Port Charlotte Scotch to end the night. Interesting the different tastes in just the 9. My favorite of the night was Weller Single Barrel. 

7 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Did our first tasting of what I won last weekend. Us and another couple tried 1-9, and then skipped to the Port Charlotte Scotch to end the night. Interesting the different tastes in just the 9. My favorite of the night was Weller Single Barrel. 

Well shit, I better stop trading Weller SiB then. 

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Unless of course you want to trade it to me; although, I doubt I have anything you'd deem worthy of trading for. Lol

I traded a bottle to BigD for two bottles of Old Forester King Ranch. Fair deal. I needed it fast. 

OF King Ranch is supposed to be in their regular Texas lineup. We’ll see. Its 105 proof, 7 year old Old Forester sold only in Texas. And it’s damn good. That it is ripe territory for flippers. 

On 6/2/2023 at 2:17 PM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

My first Liqour guy found himself a tough situation. He’s a nice guy, I feel bad all around for this.

https://fox7austin.com/news/leander-liquor-store-clerk-fatally-shoots-theft-suspect-police-investigating

"Nice guy" decides that walking out with a free bottle of booze deserves the death sentence, sure.

I won't be visiting his establishment again.

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Not sure if this is even available anymore, but grab if you see it. Reviews are amazing.  Around 135 proof I believe. 

Double_Oaked_Bourbon_Cut_Out_smallest.jp

Reddit review claims it’s fetching $400  in the secondary market. What’s MSRP?

edit: Looks to be $80. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I traded a bottle to BigD for two bottles of Old Forester King Ranch. Fair deal. I needed it fast. 

OF King Ranch is supposed to be in their regular Texas lineup. We’ll see. Its 105 proof, 7 year old Old Forester sold only in Texas. And it’s damn good. That it is ripe territory for flippers. 

I stood in Total Wine on Hwy 6 in Houston with a bottle of OF King Ranch in my hand and put it back on the shelf a year or so ago.  /csb

5 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I stood in Total Wine on Hwy 6 in Houston with a bottle of OF King Ranch in my hand and put it back on the shelf a year or so ago.  /csb

Yeah you should have bought it. I guess it’s priced OK at $70. I can’t imagine hauling charcoal from Kingsville to Kentucky is cheap. It checks  the Texas themed bourbon distilled in Kentucky box. It was a very popular gift at my office. 

Optimistically it’ll follow the same path as 1910. Red hot first release. Comes back 8-10 months later, and the cools off considerably. Regular shelf item by year 2. 

But again, it’s distiller, age, proof, and Texas only release could make it a tough get. I have 1 bottle bunkered. I hope it comes back before Christmas, and I’ll try and load up then. 

A lower proof, non age stated Weller single barrel is not worth anywhere near what people pay for that shit. It’s just stupid. Single barrel has jumped the shark.

Weller full proof kicks its ass consistently, and yet that goes for less than half the value. I’ll take that please. 

2022 OFBB is good. It isn’t great. In fact, the 117 beat it unanimously in a four person blind SBS we did recently. I wouldn’t kick it out of bed. 

The PHC double barrel is a B+. Solid pour. Not exceptional. I’d probably rate it a tick above the OFBB. But not by much. 

Secondary clearly values it:

OFBB > PHC 16 = WSiB > WFP

Not sure how they have PHC13 heavy char rye left over. Was that a mistake?

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Hotter take, 2012

Probably not wrong.  Birthday Bourbon struggles so hard in a blind test.  You really have to like the idea of it to make it work out.  The crazy low bottle counts are the only thing propping the secondary prices up. 

28 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Hotter take, 2012

giphy.gif

BTW - I'm a huge Old Forester Stan, both from a product standpoint and an admirer of well executed portfolio marketing strategy. I don't think there's anybody who comes close to how well Brown Forman has positioned the whole product line in market, maybe BT?  The Old Forester line is proof that overshot aging and goofy single barrel special releases aren't required if every product in the line is distinct from each other and also occupies a different niche of high-value product market fit. Birthday is their product for the chase bottle crowd, and it isn't elite anymore. But maybe it doesn't have to be, because 1910 and 1920 are both elite, and you can always get those if you want to actually drink elite bourbon. If you want to chase a bottle or posses something expensive and hard to find, Birthday is a fine choice. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I like the creativity of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Fruit bombs, cherry cola, they’ve produced some fun bottles going back to 2017. We’ll see if that changes with Zykan gone. I believe 2022 was her last pick. Her palette was pretty outside of the box, and I think it helped them work around younger, and lower proof distillate. Which I’m sure lead to more bottles sold. 

I do remember a lot bitching from traditionalists that believed OFBB should taste the same every year. Like Pappy or BTAC.

If you want to ever see what Brown Forman can do in its extreme heat cycle form, pick up a King of Kentucky. Any year. Any bottle. And it will cement for you what making pinnacle bourbon looks like. And agree outside that, they make a damn fine shelf product for regular consumption. 

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like the creativity of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Fruit bombs, cherry cola, they’ve produced some fun bottles going back to 2017. We’ll see if that changes with Zykan gone. I believe 2022 was her last pick. Her palette was pretty outside of the box, and I think it helped them work around younger, and lower proof distillate. Which I’m sure lead to more bottles sold. 

I do remember a lot bitching from traditionalists that believed OFBB should taste the same every year. Like Pappy or BTAC.

I like the creativity too, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the line. I compare it to the Ardbeg Committee releases- not often the best thing they make, but a fun thing they'll do once a year for the people who want to engage with the company's product that way. 

12 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

If you want to ever see what Brown Forman can do in its extreme heat cycle form, pick up a King of Kentucky. Any year. Any bottle. And it will cement for you what making pinnacle bourbon looks like. And agree outside that, they make a damn fine shelf product for regular consumption. 

I've never had it, but you're convincing me. Have you ever had one of the Old Forester President's choice releases?

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I like the creativity too, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the line. I compare it to the Ardbeg Committee releases- not often the best thing they make, but a fun thing they'll do once a year for the people who want to engage with the company's product that way. 

I've never had it, but you're convincing me. Have you ever had one of the Old Forester President's choice releases?

I have. In fact, had the flight at OF in Louisville row of OFBB, PC and 117. 117 was the standout. 

There is almost no equal to King of Kentucky. Folks that try it become spoiled for life. I’m one of them. I went all in. It’s my top 3 pours all time. Made it so much more enjoyable when it was 800-1000. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

"Nice guy" decides that walking out with a free bottle of booze deserves the death sentence, sure.
I won't be visiting his establishment again.

I haven’t spoken to him and the reports I saw were light on details, so I don’t really know what happened but he is a nice guy. Maybe he got caught up in the heat of the moment when 3 people were walking out with his product, maybe the situation is different from how the story painted it, idk. It’s a tough situation all around bc a person has a right to defend their property and business from robbery, but taking a life over a $40 bottle sounds unjust.

4 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I have. In fact, had the flight at OF in Louisville row of OFBB, PC and 117. 117 was the standout. 

There is almost no equal to King of Kentucky. Folks that try it become spoiled for life. I’m one of them. I went all in. It’s my top 3 pours all time. Made it so much more enjoyable when it was 800-1000

I need to try that KoK. That and a purple top that isn’t Willett’s distillate are about the only things that I haven’t been able to try.