Bourbon

Jimbaround

4 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

How was that Hidden Barn, Mo? I was scammed on the only bottle I was able to track down and then gave up…

I haven't tried any of them yet. Just won it last night, and had already had an evening of tastings. Will do some tastings over the next few weeks. No way I can do it all in one sitting.

I was able to try several things last night that I'd never had. There weren't any allocated ones, or anything like that. Just bottles of what people enjoy, and a few things you don't see on the shelf every day. Someone did bring a Blanton so that was probably the rarest thing there. 

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Went to a local Facebook bourbon group gathering tonight. There were 50 different bottles that people brought to share. Tried several different things, and had a great time. We won the door prize. 25 different pours to taste and comment on. It was a great night.

FB_IMG_1685242287171.jpg.ed51aa3132c9d12adb9837130df463fe.jpg

Did y’all rank them? I’m curious about the Remus Gatsby. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I just have to laugh at this point. Fing California.

this is also a case of my relationship building with a woman at my neighborhood grocery that goes back 5-6 years since well before she became spirits manager. she knows who i am and what i am about. got real lucky she ended up where she did. 

relationships are everything. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this is also a case of my relationship building with a woman at my neighborhood grocery that goes back 5-6 years since well before she became spirits manager. she knows who i am and what i am about. got real lucky she ended up where she did. 

relationships are everything. 

Not hating the player or the game. I’m just saying that would never happen in Houston. Ever. That’d in some employee’s trunk/Facebook in under an hour. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not hating the player or the game. I’m just saying that would never happen in Houston. Ever. That’d in some employee’s trunk/Facebook in under an hour. 

100%.

liquor at groceries, pharmacies, and convenient stores creates a completely different dynamic. i never score from big box like bevmo or total wine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did y’all rank them? I’m curious about the Remus Gatsby. 

I don't think they're ranked. The admins of the group just put them together. As we taste them over the next few weeks, we'll keep notes and do some ranking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Eh, before my GG hookup left the company, he’d do that for me every Xmas.
There are still some people at stores that just want bottles to end up where they will be opened and enjoyed.
I just don’t know any of them anymore.

19 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Eh, before my GG hookup left the company, he’d do that for me every Xmas.
There are still some people at stores that just want bottles to end up where they will be opened and enjoyed.
I just don’t know any of them anymore.

I’d like to think my Spec’s people share that philosophy. They’ve said as much, but they follow orders. I think if they found a bottle of WLW stashed away, one of two things would happen. 1) They’d call their top commercial clients until they find a taker. 2) They put it back in the stash room and pull it out again for the December drop. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d like to think my Spec’s people share that philosophy. They’ve said as much, but they follow orders. I think if they found a bottle of WLW stashed away, one of two things would happen. 1) They’d call their top commercial clients until they find a taker. 2) They put it back in the stash room and pull it out again for the December drop. 

what you’re describing is like my k&l situation. they’ve always got stuff in the back because they have a 300+ bottle lottery at the end of every year. 

grocery stores are a whole different thing. the good spirits managers try to take care of their local shoppers and avoid flippers.

if a stranger wandered in and asked about a stash room they’d be like wtf are you on about?

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what you’re describing is like my k&l situation. they’ve always got stuff in the back because they have a 300+ bottle lottery at the end of every year. 

grocery stores are a whole different thing. the good spirits managers try to take care of their local shoppers and avoid flippers.

if a stranger wandered in and asked about a stash room they’d be like wtf are you on about?

A store down the road hung a sign recently stating they’ll only sell allocated bottles to regulars, and flippers would be wise to keep moving. 

I agree with their philosophy, but money talks and bullshit walks. They’re asking $115 for Kosher Rye and $326 for Remus Gatsby. Pretty hefty mark ups. 

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Nuts.

The cast of Billions usually passed around a bottle of Michter’s Celebration at season wrap parties. That’s a $6k bottle, and I’m imagine Michter’s hooked them up in exchange for prominently displaying their bottles in episodes.

Some of those Red Hook Ryes got insane returns at auction. In the $20-30k range. $100k for brown water is sinful. 

Speaking of ridiculous pricing, I recommended Kentucky Owl Bourbon to a coworker recently. He said he needed something good, didn’t care what it cost, and didn’t want to use secondary sites. 

I’m gobsmacked they increased the price an additional $100 dollars to $400. I think I bought Batch 2 for about $289 and it was a stretch then. But yeah, pretty good.

I wish these liquor stores would just give in and put Confiscated on sale. Spec’s and Total haven’t budged from $140. Also good, but priced about $80 too high. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Initial impression. ER17> DEVR thanks to proof. ER17 is 101 while the DEVR we had is from 2019 and is 90 proof. We sampled DEVR, ER17 and regular ER and regular ER took a big step up in my book. You can definitely differentiate between DEVR and regular ER, but not by as much as you’d expect.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Bert Orange said:

Don’t be too quick there. The lower proofs I have opened are better than the two high proofs SBS. 

Though I haven’t tried barrel 5 in full disclosure. 

Handy RC16 proof list for those hunting…

Barrel     Proof
4    101.6
5    93.4
6    103.7
7    103.6
8    104.1
10    100.2
11    100.4
12    104
13    98.2
14    103.1
15    98
16    104.5
17    105.1
18    104.3
19    104.5
20    102.7
21    127.4
23    128
24    130.7
25    132.1
26    124.4
27    131.5
28    124.9
29    125.4
31    128.5
32    126.5
33    128
34    131.9

22 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Don’t be too quick there. The lower proofs I have opened are better than the two high proofs SBS. 

As far as 93.4 proof goes, the RC16 is great.  Had my first pour last night.  At $220 I would want to find one at a higher ABV and compare.

70263c71d6c1d2d52ea3f2b61e3759f2.jpg

So the new 131 is very good.

But OG is truly Special in my estimation.

The new one is a reasonable $62 expression of the SR. But the SR is one of my all time pours. I feel like ZZTop wrote Legs about that Rye.

If this ends up being always available, Huzzah!

• Like 2

Green River Bourbon ain’t bad for $35. Good nose and palette, thin finish. It’s a high rye 5 year old bourbon from a new distillery that was acquired by Bardstown in 2022. It’s better and cheaper than the high rye Origin Series. I can see why they bought out the competition. 

I’d compare to a high rye MGP of a similar age/proof. 

Ok, this Nulu DO is fascinating… it has very little in common with any other Double Oaked product I’ve had to date.

It’s more like a Double Toasted, which obviously doesn’t exist, but damned if that doesn’t shine through. Gonna give this some run, but the nose is full of hickory smoke and I’m compelled to return to this glass.

• Hook 'Em 1