Bourbon

Jimbaround

19 hours ago, Slacks said:

So... How do we get a list of the things to buy in this place? 

I'm a newb, but I like the Bourbons.

I’d ease it into. Old Forester 100 is terrific and $26 for a liter. OF’s master taster or whatever the hell they called Zykan said in a podcast that it contains 8 year old product. 

You’re going to have to spend a little more for rye. Bulleit 12 year is very approachable and $45 a bottle. 

On 5/9/2024 at 10:25 PM, Slacks said:

So... How do we get a list of the things to buy in this place? 

I'm a newb, but I like the Bourbons.

most people recommend angels envy as a starter bourbon.  if you're a newbie i would try all those that carl suggested.  store picks i would not recommend since you have to experience the nuance of knob creek before you can appreciate a store pick of knob creek.  makers mark, knob creek, and buffalo trace would be the three mass-batch, on the shelf, <$50 bottles and brands to start with and branch out from.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@USCATX come out and play. Good week at work, and I got 2. What the hell, I’ll crack some RC16.

IMG_1893.thumb.jpeg.cae72431b2ad5e957540ec37370d0213.jpegIMG_1894.thumb.jpeg.5d9918acf15e8eb83e2d01bea17df047.jpegIMG_1899.thumb.jpeg.725fa59523de3dde3c6d725727434b61.jpeg

i have that botte, but didnt remember the story on the back.  what distilleries have closed since 2010?  that surprises me since the onset of the bourbon craze started soon after that.

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

i have that botte, but didnt remember the story on the back.  what distilleries have closed since 2010?  that surprises me since the onset of the bourbon craze started soon after that.

It’s high rye MGP. Any distilleries that closed, MGP likely put out of business. 

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

most people recommend angels envy as a starter bourbon.  if you're a newbie i would try all those that carl suggested.  store picks i would not recommend since you have to experience the nuance of knob creek before you can appreciate a store pick of knob creek.  makers mark, knob creek, and buffalo trace would be the three mass-batch, on the shelf, <$50 bottles and brands to start with and branch out from.

I always recommend starting out with Makers.  I think it’s a little on the sweeter side but it’s otherwise just so squarely middle of the road.  Knob Creek and BT are more interesting once you’ve developed a little bit of a palate.    

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s high rye MGP. Any distilleries that closed, MGP likely put out of business. 

the stories on the back label usually come across as fluff and hogwash.  some kind of marketing ploy to make the bourbon stand out when there is nothing in the bottle to make the bourbon stand out.   i'm not saying its bullshit, but a distillery closing in the last 20 years is like a munitions plant closing during wartime.  there's just too much demand.  ive heard of thefts, and fires, and massive spills, and mergers and buyouts, but am not aware of any closures.

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

There are lots of good Old Forester or Four Roses bourbons that are around $50, readily available, and a step above the mass batch ones. The OF1920 is great. So is Four Roses Single Barrel.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

Thanks. I guess I need to reclassify myself. I'm not a newb, but not a connoisseur.

I've have a lot of different bourbon's. I have

Eagle Rare, Michters, Weller 12, Basil Hayden 10, Stagg, and Bookers on the shelf now. 

I've had Weller, 1792, Four Roses, Yellow Rose, Angels, Rare Breed, Sazerac Rye, Sagamore Rye, Bullet, Bullet Rye, Woodford Reserve (and Barrell Select), Whistle Pig (and Rye) and a bunch of others I can't recall.

What I don't know is why one is supposedly better than the other and which are must gets or what is a great bargain, etc.

I suppose I could find some lists on the listservnet.

On 5/10/2024 at 6:47 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

@USCATX come out and play. Good week at work, and I got 2. What the hell, I’ll crack some RC16.

IMG_1893.thumb.jpeg.cae72431b2ad5e957540ec37370d0213.jpegIMG_1894.thumb.jpeg.5d9918acf15e8eb83e2d01bea17df047.jpegIMG_1899.thumb.jpeg.725fa59523de3dde3c6d725727434b61.jpeg

This is the best Texas bourbon of all time.  And by Texas bourbon, I do mean 16 year MGP going for way less than any barrel proof high age MGP I’ve ever seen.  It’s really good and I have an embarrassing amount of backups. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, USCATX said:

This is the best Texas bourbon of all time.  And by Texas bourbon, I do mean 16 year MGP going for way less than any barrel proof high age MGP I’ve ever seen.  It’s really good and I have an embarrassing amount of backups. 

So, if one were making a list, this would be on said list?

I picked up one of the higher proof RC16's and it was severely over oaked. I disliked the first pour but came back to it 2 weeks later to give it another shot. I couldn't even finish that pour, and I never pour whiskey down the drain.

All I am saying is that YMMV on that one. Given the price point, I'd want much more of a sure thing. 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

image.png.b89d551c9766f3646907878b578aba2f.png

Who has $7500 burning a hole in their pocket?
Go fuck yourself Buffalo Trace.

just what we needed, another unicorn.   they have a vodka that's outrageously priced too.  i'll take the wheatley for $20, thank you.  

On 5/11/2024 at 2:02 PM, Hornlover said:

There are lots of good Old Forester or Four Roses bourbons that are around $50, readily available, and a step above the mass batch ones. The OF1920 is great. So is Four Roses Single Barrel.

I am probably a heretic, but I prefer the Four Roses small batch to the single barrel.

Different strokes for different folks.  Since BT uses two different mashbills and five different yeast strains for a total of ten different combinations, they have some variety to play with.  I searched online to try to find the breakdown, but no luck.  Small batch is a blend of several of those varieties, whereas single barrell is just one of them.  The standard issue single barrels are always the same variety, but the private label single barrels can be any one of the ten.  BT fanatics try to collect store picks of all ten for comparative (and bragging) purposes.

Bottom line - drink what you like!  If it's less expensive, then bonus!

2 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

Different strokes for different folks.  Since BT uses two different mashbills and five different yeast strains for a total of ten different combinations, they have some variety to play with.  I searched online to try to find the breakdown, but no luck.  Small batch is a blend of several of those varieties, whereas single barrell is just one of them.  The standard issue single barrels are always the same variety, but the private label single barrels can be any one of the ten.  BT fanatics try to collect store picks of all ten for comparative (and bragging) purposes.

Bottom line - drink what you like!  If it's less expensive, then bonus!

Are you referencing Four Roses in this paragraph? 

5a46e4c0de795f22e80525785fbd6d03.jpg
I do like a good rye. There are some that I prefer. Some that I’m still trying to appreciate (looking at you Bulleit 12). But I saw this one on the shelf. Less than $40. I figured rather than hunt juice that is almost an impossibility to find, why not start trying some of these other readily available choices. There was one called Rocket Top from the same distiller but it was more than double the price. I’ll give this a spin and if I like it maybe I’ll spring for the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

5a46e4c0de795f22e80525785fbd6d03.jpg
I do like a good rye. There are some that I prefer. Some that I’m still trying to appreciate (looking at you Bulleit 12). But I saw this one on the shelf. Less than $40. I figured rather than hunt juice that is almost an impossibility to find, why not start trying some of these other readily available choices. There was one called Rocket Top from the same distiller but it was more than double the price. I’ll give this a spin and if I like it maybe I’ll spring for the other.

I think Redwood Empire puts out quality juice for the price based on my own tastings and reviews I've read.  I like Lost Monarch quite a bit, esp. for around $33.   It's one of my favorite "under $40" bottles.  The cask strength Pipe Dream took some getting used to, but it grew on me. 

Let us know what you think of the rye.  Don't think I've seen Rocket Top out in the wild, but I tend to lean toward bourbon instead of rye, so I may have simply overlooked it on the shelf.