Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 4/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, Txslnghrns said:

f92a0eccc89b8eb275b4be9ad0ca4267.jpg
Just poured the last of last years batch. Thankfully I’ve never had to pay more than $70 for any of the 3 bottles I’ve gotten.

That's about what I paid for mine a couple of months ago.  It is a great bottle, but not for freaking $130 retail.

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s shocking how good Still Austin is. They punch waaaay above their weight class. 
Their labels and branding are just aggressively terrible and are going to hold them back beyond a certain point but the whiskey is very good. 
I wonder if they would do a contract run…

How’s the rye? I skipped it when I saw the recipe, 100% rye. North of 95% rye just isn’t my thing. 

The cask strength is terrific for a 2 year old bourbon. They made something in a few years that Balcones couldn’t do in 20+ years. Their aging technique is pretty innovative and they seem to have a good distillate recipe dialed in. Their stuff should continue to get better.

That said, the cask strength is $68. The store picks are around $80. It’s not Garrison Bros price gouging, but it’s not really competitive in their category. Most of the Rebecca Creek MGP bottles are in the mid $50 range. You have to really want a pure Texas bourbon to pay more for inferior/younger product. 

I wish Still Austin well, it’s just not something I’ll buy regularly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How’s the rye? I skipped it when I saw the recipe, 100% rye. North of 95% rye just isn’t my thing. 

The cask strength is terrific for a 2 year old bourbon. They made something in a few years that Balcones couldn’t do in 20+ years. Their aging technique is pretty innovative and they seem to have a good distillate recipe dialed in. Their stuff should continue to get better.

That said, the cask strength is $68. The store picks are around $80. It’s not Garrison Bros price gouging, but it’s not really competitive in their category. Most of the Rebecca Creek MGP bottles are in the mid $50 range. You have to really want a pure Texas bourbon to pay more for inferior/younger product. 

I wish Still Austin well, it’s just not something I’ll buy regularly. 

The Rye is OK, but not on the level of the Bourbon. 

Agreed with your takeaway, but to your point - they are pretty clearly trying to cultivate a customer base that really wants a pure Texas bourbon, from Austin Texas, and are willing to pay for it. That was really the relevance of my point about the label - at some point their targeting will limit their market share, but their bet is pretty clearly that the benefit of being THE Austin bourbon brand outweighs whatever negatives accrue to them as a result. 

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Or what the label looks like. 

If this is true, this puts you in an incomprehensibly small category of buyers, especially when it comes to what you'll decide to buy off the shelf the first time, before you've tasted it. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The Rye is OK, but not on the level of the Bourbon. 

Agreed with your takeaway, but to your point - they are pretty clearly trying to cultivate a customer base that really wants a pure Texas bourbon, from Austin Texas, and are willing to pay for it. That was really the relevance of my point about the label - at some point their targeting will limit their market share, but their bet is pretty clearly that the benefit of being THE Austin bourbon brand outweighs whatever negatives accrue to them as a result. 

If this is true, this puts you in an incomprehensibly small category of buyers, especially when it comes to what you'll decide to buy off the shelf the first time, before you've tasted it. 

I assume Still Austin is going for the corn/grain to glass thing? 

Texas is good at a lot of things.  Producing a tasty bourbon at an appealing price point is not one of the things we are good at.  I’ll assume it’s government red tape driving up the cost of doing business.  But for the foreseeable future I’ll be sticking with the folks in Kentucky that have been doing it for centuries and can deliver a quality bottle for half the price.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Texas is good at a lot of things.  Producing a tasty bourbon at an appealing price point is not one of the things we are good at.  I’ll assume it’s government red tape driving up the cost of doing business.  But for the foreseeable future I’ll be sticking with the folks in Kentucky that have been doing it for centuries and can deliver a quality bottle for half the price.

We don’t have the climate suitable for aging bourbon. Indian (Amrut) whiskey ages in 3-4 years what Scotland does in 10-12. Angels share in India is mind blowing. Similar here. It ages rapidly, harshly, and doesn’t yield a product that can compete with KY 99% of the time. The best analog we have is Brown-Forman which heat cycles their warehouses to create what we have naturally. And even then it doesnt have our spikes / amplitudes. Texas just can’t compete. Just like our wine cant. Some climates are just not suited to this craft. 

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The Rebecca Creek Bottled in Bond is actually pretty damn good for $50. It’s their own juice and I had a sampling of it a few weeks ago at the distillery. There’s a hint of the “Texas funk”, like a mesquite note, but it fades quickly.

I’m definitely not a huge fan of Texas whiskey outside of Still Austin and most of RC’s own juice isn’t great, but give the BiB a shot if you’re looking for something new to try. 

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

Nope, should I?

I mention it because they also claim grain to glass out of Lewisville. I’m almost to the point where I want to call the distillery and ask what Houston bars serve it. It’s 60:40 malt/red winter wheat aged 5 years. Bourbon Pursuit gave it a well above average rating. They do go grade on a curve for products outside of Kentucky/Lynchburg. 

It’s pretty low risk at $54.99 a bottle. If I don’t like it, throw it in the cocktail bottle pile, but I worry the Texas funk rears its head. And they also distill that Witherspoon crap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Marylanders, what’s the latest on Sagamore Bottled in Bond? I believe they’re finally selling their own distillate. 

The BiB is their least impressive offering IMO. It’s basically their standard bottle with a higher price point… there’s no discernible, or worthwhile difference.

Do wish I was back in Baltimore for their anniversary right now though… they have some fun distillery-only options right now.

12 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

The BiB is their least impressive offering IMO. It’s basically their standard bottle with a higher price point… there’s no discernible, or worthwhile difference.

Do wish I was back in Baltimore for their anniversary right now though… they have some fun distillery-only options right now.

Is the 8 year, 115 proof their best widely available product? 

Personally with are so many options in all categories of alcohol word of mouth/online is more important than kick ass labeling.  When I find myself in front of a shelf without an intended purchase I more often than not go with what I know.  I have been burned way too many times by an attractive package with a dogshit product.

The Still Austin branding looks much more like a wine brand than a whiskey.  I assume that’s intentional to stand apart on the shelf.

• Like 1

The third Origins finally hit.
This one is damn solid.
It’s a 95/5 rye, so Bill is not gonna like it.
It’s got a ton of layers to it.
442a3eaab1a3a1d2586284d36fb188b7.jpg

Bill will only like it if someone with a blog says it's good. If it has an age statement. If it says distilled in Indiana. If someone with a podcast and/or blog says it's good
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

The third Origins finally hit.
This one is damn solid.
It’s a 95/5 rye, so Bill is not gonna like it.
It’s got a ton of layers to it.
442a3eaab1a3a1d2586284d36fb188b7.jpg

Ha. You’re probably right. I’m surprised they went with a 95:5 mashbill. I was hoping for a more traditional, barely legal Kentucky rye. 

The cherry wood finish is mildly interesting. Another try it before you buy it for me. 

Ha. You’re probably right. I’m surprised they went with a 95:5 mashbill. I was hoping for a more traditional, barely legal Kentucky rye. 

The cherry wood finish is mildly interesting. Another try it before you buy it for me. 

Isn’t it like a $50 bottle? What are we really worried about at that price point?

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

$70. 

I didn't particularly care for the Origin bourbons, and I really don't like the direction of Discovery is headed,  so I'm being cautious with the brand. 

What is disconcerning about the Discovery series to you?
#10 looks very promising.
Bardstown Bourbon Company Discovery Series Blended Bourbon Spring 2023 |  Shop Online - DramStreet.com

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

What is disconcerning about the Discovery series to you?
#10 looks very promising.
Bardstown Bourbon Company Discovery Series Blended Bourbon Spring 2023 |  Shop Online - DramStreet.com

I’d like for them to bring back the all Kentucky blend, or the Kentucky-Indiana combo. I understand sourcing is difficult and expensive, but the brand has suffered. Discovery is a shelf turd in Houston now. 

Most bottles at that price point are "shelf turds" right now, but that's a byproduct of recessionary fears and a pull back in discretionary spending vs. the whiskey not being good.

BTW, the shelf turd mindset only proves the argument for intentionally making a product scarce. People are such fucking sheep. If it's hard to find it's because everyone else wants it so it must be great, which only perpetuates something being hard to find. If there is plenty of supply, it must mean that people don't want it so it must be a turd and then it sits around. 

Other than number 5, I've never had a Disco I didn't love.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Most bottles at that price point are "shelf turds" right now, but that's a byproduct of recessionary fears and a pull back in discretionary spending vs. the whiskey not being good.

BTW, the shelf turd mindset only proves the argument for intentionally making a product scarce. People are such fucking sheep. If it's hard to find it's because everyone else wants it so it must be great, which only perpetuates something being hard to find. If there is plenty of supply, it must mean that people don't want it so it must be a turd and then it sits around. 

whats the price now?  Last one i got was 7 i think and it was overpriced at 130.  very overpriced.

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

I don't think that's the particular issue with Bardstown right now. The "problem" is they are shelving almost their entire lineup at Spec's. There aren't one or two options. Closer to 8 or 9. Most in the $125-150 range. Which one do i pick? I'm not spending over $1000 to get them all. 

Starting to notice whiskey brands mimicking the vodka world by offering too many products in order to dominate the shelf space. IMO it's not a well thought out plan. 

A year or two ago, I would just by the newest Disco they dropped if I saw it on a shelf. Now I don't know what the hell to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't think that's the particular issue with Bardstown right now. The "problem" is they are shelving almost their entire lineup at Spec's. There aren't one or two options. Closer to 8 or 9. Most in the $125-150 range. Which one do i pick? I'm not spending over $1000 to get them all. 

Starting to notice whiskey brands mimicking the vodka world by offering too many products in order to dominate the shelf space. IMO it's not a well thought out plan. 

A year or two ago, I would just by the newest Disco they dropped if I saw it on a shelf. Now I don't know what the hell to do. 

And a year or two ago you were unlikely to find it more than 2-3 weeks after the drop. The "gotta catch em all" mentality definitely needs to be broken. That's the kind of shit that leads to all the hoarding and secondary market shenanigans. When it comes to Discovery, there is a finite amount of it they can make given that it's 100% sourced. So the line expansions of products that have comparable quality help to increase aggregate supply.

You seem to view this as a problem, where I view it as ideal. Sure, you have to do a little bit of homework to figure out which one bottle to buy, but at least you have options. 

I think Bardstown is in a tough spot. They’re of course transitioning from sourcing to distilling. I’d imagine this frayed their relationships with MGP and the big contract distillers in Kentucky. Probably why they had pick up barrels from Georgia. Origins was much better than that shit Smooth Ambler distilled in West Virginia, so they’re off to a good start. 

Hopefully they can produce a consistently good 8 year old and up high rye and wheated bourbon priced around $50. Origin High Rye Bourbon opened up pretty well and was a nice supper. The wheater needs some work. I like that they’re open to experimentation with the infrared and cherry wood finishes. There’s a lot to like there, but I’m currently fading Discovery. 

I loved Discovery 2-4. Bring it back! 

This is why I love this thread. Everybody has a soft spot for certain distillers. 

I love Jack. I acknowledge I got the Jack 2022 Special Release wrong. Damn that was good. It won’t happen again. 

Rich loves Bardstown. 

Greenspoint is off somewhere in the Heights boot chugging $200 bottles of Garrison Bros.

Party Taco is our resident DMV expert.

Yev is our pick guy. 

Bert is our dusty guy. 

BigD is hard to nail down given the size and variety of his collection. I’d say anything that pairs well with a cigar will get it done. 

I love Whiskey.
My go to is MBSR. Love it.
I too love JD. Have my whole adult life.
I am also a Balcones Single Malt and a Bardstown whore.
I’ve got pretty much everything they have released except for the fusions. Those just weren’t my jam.
Been on a big Old Forester Barrel Strength SiB kick lately with cigars.
They pair nicely.

56 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I love Whiskey.
My go to is MBSR. Love it.
I too love JD. Have my whole adult life.
I am also a Balcones Single Malt and a Bardstown whore.
I’ve got pretty much everything they have released except for the fusions. Those just weren’t my jam.
Been on a big Old Forester Barrel Strength SiB kick lately with cigars.
They pair nicely.

Yeah after refreshing my memory, I’d say the Michters Barrel Strength Rye is your bottle. Outstanding choice. I’m sad that I didn’t buy a couple cases when Village Liquor Houston had it behind the counter for $80. 

5 minutes ago, RichUT said:

And:

Still Austin
Bookers/Little Book
Barrell
Remus Repeal
Michter’s

Not to mention all the usual suspects.

I really only steer clear of Jack Daniel’s (the 12 year is good) and anything Elijah Craig.

Yikes on Jack and EC. Different strokes for different folks. I feel we can work some trades.