Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I saw Armybrat commented in the thread and I expected him to post about this awesome Old Crow he drank at Lincoln’s Inauguration. I’m disappointed. 

I like it even better when he talks about drinking mezcal with Pancho Villa and Teddy Roosevelt.  

• Like 1

Old Crow has never passed my lips. 
Drank a few bottles of Four Roses during my UT days.

On Fridays I’d go to the Austin Blood Bank to sell a pint of of the red stuff, then to a liquor store to buy a $3.99 fifth of the FR, and to 7-11 for a 99 cent gallon jug of Coke or 7Up. That covered the libations for my weekend.

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Old Crow has never passed my lips. 
Drank a few bottles of Four Roses during my UT days.

On Fridays I’d go to the Austin Blood Bank to sell a pint of of the red stuff, then to a liquor store to buy a $3.99 fifth of the FR, and to 7-11 for a 99 cent gallon jug of Coke or 7Up. That covered the libations for my weekend.

We’re not so different my friend. My parents gave me $50 a week and I made many Abel’s and 6th Street adventures. 

I was making an old age joke. Old Crow was like choice Pappy in the 19th century according to historians. Right now it’s mixer dogshit. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just found this in the back of our home office closet. I think it is from 2010, when I bought the 6 bottle case in Fredericksburg. 
Gave 2 to my sons & drank two. 
Dunno if it is worth keeping. 

59D426E4-2401-439E-B198-9209480EEF6C.thumb.jpeg.ca6c78ce421ccf728cd911d3ccc10453.jpeg

That’s awesome. I’m sure there would be some level of value associated with it amongst GB fans. I’m a pretty big GB fan and I’ve never even seen that before, so I’m sure it’s on the rare side.
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 5:01 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Got this in the mail today.
Been a big fan of 291 for a bit and this maple finished Rye is an oatmeal cookie in a bottle.
It’s pretty sweet but the heat counters it nicely.
b0d000a1e53c8844c65b2b9f3c67eb53.jpg

Maple finished ryes are fantastic. Marries very well with the rye spice. Love me some maple/honey cask finished bourbons too. 

FF8F181F-3ED4-43C6-B45E-C2D66E8FA303.jpeg

CF8BC1A3-050D-4EC9-8793-62CFA7980C79.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

Did some rearranging today and found one I completely forgot I had.
Also one of the most polarizing bottles Woodford ever released.
I love it.
c0da32dfe996a0e5eb7919d4243b8f9b.jpg

That one really is kind of interesting, far better than the five malt stouted which was just plain insulting.  

And speaking of Malts, time to see what side of the Surly bourbon divide I’m on for the ‘22 special release JD.  

9D89BAA8-59A0-4EA8-B019-6820E50B45A0.jpeg

• Like 1

Speaking of Woodford, I picked up a bottle of Double XO Blend in Heathrow on my way back home Friday. It’s in the current Master’s collection bottle. The bottle claims it’s finished in “heavily toasted & in XO Cognac casks”. I don’t think there is a US release planned but it’s one of the better Woodford products I’ve had in a minute.

• Like 1

This is tremendous, easily the best Jack I’ve had outside of Coy Hill.  Crazy dark with a viscous and oily mouth feel, lots of fruit and oak on the palate and a long brown sugar and lightly drying finish.  The nose is a little weak with mainly alcohol vapor, which is weird considering the depth of flavors.  

I really liked the PHC double barreled this year, but this might be better for 1/3 secondary and 1/2 retail. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Speaking of Woodford, I picked up a bottle of Double XO Blend in Heathrow on my way back home Friday. It’s in the current Master’s collection bottle. The bottle claims it’s finished in “heavily toasted & in XO Cognac casks”. I don’t think there is a US release planned but it’s one of the better Woodford products I’ve had in a minute.

That’s been all over the auctions, might need to grab one. Weird that it’s euro market only, that’s not really the Woodford game. 

This is the real hunting these days.  Looking at a whiskey list and picking out something you want that’s also a great value is still a thing even though finding retail rare bottles is over.  Late last year I took a client to a cigar bar where they had $6.50 pours of Weller Single Barrel.  

I would have gone home on a stretcher…

10 hours ago, USCATX said:

This is tremendous, easily the best Jack I’ve had outside of Coy Hill.  Crazy dark with a viscous and oily mouth feel, lots of fruit and oak on the palate and a long brown sugar and lightly drying finish.  The nose is a little weak with mainly alcohol vapor, which is weird considering the depth of flavors.  

I really liked the PHC double barreled this year, but this might be better for 1/3 secondary and 1/2 retail. 

For their first Single Malt, I thought they really hit it out of the park.  It's going to be a regular release soon at 100 proof.  I will always have a bottle on the shelf.

15 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

For their first Single Malt, I thought they really hit it out of the park.  It's going to be a regular release soon at 100 proof.  I will always have a bottle on the shelf.

With the sherry finish or just regular malt?  I keep hearing about the American malt revolution but this was the first one that really did it for me.   

8 hours ago, USCATX said:

With the sherry finish or just regular malt?  I keep hearing about the American malt revolution but this was the first one that really did it for me.   

Here's the information.  I was a little off, the Single malt is going to be 90 proof and sherry finished.  But it's international travel release only for now.  Damnit.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2022/10/jack-daniels-american-single-malt-whiskey-to-launch-next-year/

1 hour ago, next2naus said:

anyone (not Neonmoon, he has spoken already) familiar with these guys? https://drinkrangercreek.com/whiskey

work is using them for an event, is it tasty? which products have you tried?

I haven’t had it and I don’t plan on trying it. Is it a tasting or a cocktail thing? Cocktails would be better, but either way at you should be fine. 

I recently attended a nice NAPE Reception where they had a Horse Solider Bourbon (piss) tasting. Despite serving a terrible product people went wild for it because it’s novel and fancy.  Many of your guests don’t know or don’t care what good bourbon tastes like. They just want something free. 

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Well today was another good one.
I’ve been a trading fool lately.
Dealing with Bill a couple of weeks ago was the catalyst that enabled me to eventually end up with this beauty.
d064dde1d0209c1030839dbc0b2e2840.jpg

Parlaying OF King Ranch and some other stuff into WLW is like the guy who traded up from a paper clip to a house.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2023 at 8:45 PM, USCATX said:

And speaking of Malts, time to see what side of the Surly bourbon divide I’m on for the ‘22 special release JD.

Jack Daniels is like Budweiser - they know more about what they do and have more precise control over what they make and sell than anyone else in the world. If a guy from upstairs  wakes up one morning and decides they should sell 40k bottles of a super viscous 8 year old wheater that smells like strawberries and tastes like caramel with butter cookies on the mid palate, he makes a phone call and 9 years later it hits the market, with a fully realized brand campaign and shelf space ready to go. 

The whiskey business revolves around brand position and JD is the pinnacle of that model, not the exception. They optimize for dollars and that requires, among other things, restraint. In fact they are more restrained by their brand than virtually anyone. But whether they can produce truly great whiskey when they want to isn't about capability for them. Take the JD label off any of their special releases and call it Old Frogdick of Bardstown and the neckbeards would give out HJs in the parking lot for a chance at a bottle. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Jack Daniels is like Budweiser - they know more about what they do and have more precise control over what they make and sell than anyone else in the world. If a guy from upstairs  wakes up one morning and decides they should sell 40k bottles of a super viscous 8 year old wheater that smells like strawberries and tastes like caramel with butter cookies on the mid palate, he makes a phone call and 9 years later it hits the market, with a fully realized brand campaign and shelf space ready to go. 

The whiskey business revolves around brand position and JD is the pinnacle of that model, not the exception. They optimize for dollars and that requires, among other things, restraint. In fact they are more restrained by their brand than virtually anyone. But whether they can produce truly great whiskey when they want to isn't about capability for them. Take the JD label off any of their special releases and call it Old Frogdick of Bardstown and the neckbeards would give out HJs in the parking lot for a chance at a bottle. 

out on the hj's from the neckbeards, but in for Old Frogdick.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Take the JD label off any of their special releases and call it Old Frogdick of Bardstown and the neckbeards would give out HJs in the parking lot for a chance at a bottle. 

This made me laugh, but I think that might be taking it a little far.  Coy and this malt are really good, but that rye really didn’t do it for me at all.  The heritage barrel special release is good in the way that Rock Hill Farms is good, but I’m not going crazy for it.  Making something like WLW or GTS must be really hard or more distilleries would be cranking out halo products. 

55 minutes ago, USCATX said:

This made me laugh, but I think that might be taking it a little far.  Coy and this malt are really good, but that rye really didn’t do it for me at all.  The heritage barrel special release is good in the way that Rock Hill Farms is good, but I’m not going crazy for it.  Making something like WLW or GTS must be really hard or more distilleries would be cranking out halo products. 

Not the least of which is aging whiskey 12-15 years is expensive and less profitable than tons of 4 year old shelf handles. 

On 3/7/2023 at 12:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I haven’t had it and I don’t plan on trying it. Is it a tasting or a cocktail thing? Cocktails would be better, but either way at you should be fine. 

I recently attended a nice NAPE Reception where they had a Horse Solider Bourbon (piss) tasting. Despite serving a terrible product people went wild for it because it’s novel and fancy.  Many of your guests don’t know or don’t care what good bourbon tastes like. They just want something free. 

it's a tasting event, we are sending people tasting kit for a virtual event

3 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Not the least of which is aging whiskey 12-15 years is expensive and less profitable than tons of 4 year old shelf handles. 

This is a tangent but aging whiskey 12-15 years is usually 4-6 years too many.
There are only a small handful of specific expressions that make it work, and even Pappy gets worse past 15.

Probably 3/4 of what’s for sale on the market with a 12 year age statement is past it’s prime. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So what are expecting here? A ton of Blanton’s, Antique, and Stagg Jr? I could certainly live with that. 

sure, in 7-10 years.

23 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Well today was another good one.
I’ve been a trading fool lately.
Dealing with Bill a couple of weeks ago was the catalyst that enabled me to eventually end up with this beauty.
d064dde1d0209c1030839dbc0b2e2840.jpg

One of the best scenes that showed the skill in sales that Dwight and Jim  possessed. : r/DunderMifflin

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@BigDHornfan can you elaborate on the final terms of the trade?

It's gonna piss you off.  but here you go...
Traded 2 Old Forester King Ranch's for your Weller Single Barrel. 
Traded the Weller Single Barrel and $500 for EHT Four Grain.  

Sold the Four Grain for $1500 and bought the William Larue Weller.

Add in shipping costs and gas to go pickup the 4G, and cost for the OF King Ranch's, all together the WLW cost me around $750.   Half of secondary.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

It's gonna piss you off.  but here you go...
Traded 2 Old Forester King Ranch's for your Weller Single Barrel. 
Traded the Weller Single Barrel and $500 for EHT Four Grain.  

Sold the Four Grain for $1500 and bought the William Larue Weller.

Add in shipping costs and gas to go pickup the 4G, and cost for the OF King Ranch's, all together the WLW cost me around $750.   Half of secondary.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4