Bourbon

Jimbaround

16 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

someone explain store picks to me.  guy at goody goody told me that they do not send people to try the juice, they pretty much point and say "we will take that one" without much pomp and circumstance.  if i was steve goody goody i would be picking the shit out of the barrel that i want.

Many receive samples. Some defer to master blender/distiller. A few go to the source. 

I’ve done the sample route and the source route. While I much prefer the distillery approach (obviously - way more fun), I’ve also picked great barrels from samples sent to me.

That said, it’s 100% about your buying power and/or connections. They don’t give everyone the honey barrels from which to select. 

38 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

And on the topic of barrel picks, I’m probably going to select a couple for myself at NBC. I’ll be sure to give everyone here an at cost ROFR based on the outcome. 

Deal

To stay on topic I had a cocktail with the port cognac finished SA last night.

2oz bourbon

1 oz Campari

1 oz Dry Vermouth

orange bitters

I want another for breakfast

• Like 2

Finally finished this bottle of Rebel Yell 10 from ‘16.  It wasn’t quite Heaven Hill’s best work.  Too much peanut on the nose and generic vanilla/oak on the palate. I’m not sure I’ll need to buy these anymore as the MGP and other brands of wheaters get older. 

37D6FF9E-C2FA-42E2-B926-3820B4C7223C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, USCATX said:

Finally finished this bottle of Rebel Yell 10 from ‘16.  It wasn’t quite Heaven Hill’s best work.  Too much peanut on the nose and generic vanilla/oak on the palate. I’m not sure I’ll need to buy these anymore as the MGP and other brands of wheaters get older. 

The HH version has never leaped out at me. I’m not passing it in on the shelf, but probably not asking about it either. 

How soon after y'all open a bottle do you try and finish it? I've been reading bourbon stays good for two years after opening, but that seems short. I've got a number of bottles that are coming up on or just past two years. Do I need to take up alcoholism for the next few months to ensure I don't waste it?

9 hours ago, USCATX said:

Funny enough but I was having RY10 last night as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

How soon after y'all open a bottle do you try and finish it? I've been reading bourbon stays good for two years after opening, but that seems short. I've got a number of bottles that are coming up on or just past two years. Do I need to take up alcoholism for the next few months to ensure I don't waste it?

I have some older bottles that have been open a lot longer than 2 years and I cant really tell the difference.

Someone smarter than me has told me to drink the rest when it gets to about an inch or two from the bottom as it will begin to deteriorate at that point.

He said its more about fullness rather than years.  I'll let the other assholes chime in with their opinions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ve got opens that are over 5 years old and still taste great.
Some I have moved to smaller bottles so there’s less oxygen but who really knows if that affects anything.
Sunlight is your main enemy.
Stored out of it, Bourbon ain’t going bad.
I’ve got a Jim Beam Bowling Pin from 1977 that’s about 3/4 empty now that still tastes good.

In summation, no need to rush to drink your bottles.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, USCATX said:

1 hour ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Maybe that Rebel Yell tasted considerably worse because it's been open 7 years?

I know it starts oxidizing once the vacuum seal is breached and ethanol exposed to air will simultaneously evaporate and pull water vapor out of the air over time. So the whiskey will dilute and lose ABV over time. How much and how fast i don't know. But if it's a high alcohol barrel strength it might be less noticable than an 80 proofer

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Maybe that Rebel Yell tasted considerably worse because it's been open 7 years?

I know it starts oxidizing once the vacuum seal is breached and ethanol exposed to air will simultaneously evaporate and pull water vapor out of the air over time. So the whiskey will dilute and lose ABV over time. How much and how fast i don't know. But if it's a high alcohol barrel strength it might be less noticable than an 80 proofer

I think it has been open around 5 years, for a while those were showing up older than 10 years or with dump dates from years prior.  this one has been compared side by side with plenty of other bourbons and it’s never come out on top.  It’s better than plenty of other options and isn’t bad by any stretch. 

I’ve had plenty of bottles open for years and haven’t noticed significant degradation. With that said I re-organized last month and I’m on a mission to kill bottles that are 1/3 or less full.  

• Like 1

For science.
Between the 2 Origins,
I have to go with the Wheated BiB.
Although the Rye is surprisingly fruity.
Both are very good.
Backups of both will be procured.

Disco #9 is complex as hell.
It’s also delicious.
Gonna need to spend some time with this one after my palate is fully back to 100%.
Week off the brown stuff due to Covid has given me pause on how I’m tasting things.

82756eeefe7d060228b6e1920ee7e333.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

For science.
Between the 2 Origins,
I have to go with the Wheated BiB.
Although the Rye is surprisingly fruity.
Both are very good.
Backups of both will be procured.

Disco #9 is complex as hell.
It’s also delicious.
Gonna need to spend some time with this one after my palate is fully back to 100%.
Week off the brown stuff due to Covid has given me pause on how I’m tasting things.

82756eeefe7d060228b6e1920ee7e333.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg

Excellent. Keeping the Spec's order. Hard to mess up Kentucky distillate over 6 years old. 

That said, Beam says hold my beer. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

Opened a 2021 Coy Hill and a 2018 GTS I’ve had sitting. Not a fan of the Coy Hill, I’m not sure I care anything about having another pour of it. The GTS on the other hand was worth the couple hundred bucks I paid for it before things got stupid.

18 GTS makes many things taste disappointing in comparison.  But I’d you’re in Austin I’ll trade you a Russell’s single Rickhouse for that open Coy.  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, RichUT said:

The oxidization argument is horse shit. There is no reasonable timeline where it goes bad.

No, oxidation is scientifically proven. 

And it doesn't make it "go bad". It won't take on a rotten flavor or anything. It causes ethanol to dilute due to water vapor from the air being pulled in and ABV to drop further from ethanol evaporation. Similar to what happens when the whiskey is sitting in barrels. If you don't mind the whiskey being watered down some then keep it as long as you want.