Bourbon

Jimbaround

19 hours ago, Brew said:

Picked up a Bardstown Founders and a Penelope Barrell Strength PS today to try something different. 

I can't think of anything I can find on a shelf right now i like as much as a neat sipper than the Penelope barrel strength bottle I have. Tons of caramel sweetness on the nose but it's more muted on the palate so not too sweet. Just a tiny bit of a pleasing oak note. Very recessed alcohol heat for 112 proof. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

I can't think of anything I can find on a shelf right now i like as much as a neat sipper than the Penelope barrel strength bottle I have. Tons of caramel sweetness on the nose but it's more muted on the palate so not too sweet. Just a tiny bit of a pleasing oak note. Very recessed alcohol heat for 112 proof. 

There were 7-8 on the shelf, does that mean I should go back and buy the rest of them to get ahead of the coming shortage?

19 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I preferred the Wheated.
But they are both good.

Wheated is good, probably better than the young MGP like white label Redemption.  Way different profile than Weller or Heaven Hill wheated, but decent in its own right. Of the two the Old Soul is vastly superior but 2x the price. 

3 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Wheated is good, probably better than the young MGP like white label Redemption.  Way different profile than Weller or Heaven Hill wheated, but decent in its own right. Of the two the Old Soul is vastly superior but 2x the price. 

Big fan of the high rye Old Soul.  Goody Goody usually has a store pick of it available for $60

24 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So some douchebag in an ascot is why I can’t buy decent bourbon at my local liquor store? I hate this god damn country. 

Yeah, I suspect Minnick can get anything if he promises a social media post in exchange. 

Henry probably knows for sure, but Minnick's I'm just a normal guy shtick is tiresome. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, I suspect Minnick can get anything if he promises a social media post in exchange. 

Henry probably knows for sure, but Minnick's I'm just a normal guy shtick is tiresome. 

I’m waiting for him to create oppressed black man shtick. Wouldn’t shock me. He’s a pandering shitstain. 

6 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

GB Balmorhea feels like a decent buy at $155 instead of over $200

If you like it I guess. It’s at least interesting if a bit unlovable.  If I had to spend $200+ on Texas bourbon I’d go with Still Austin for $38 and put the $162 on the Utah money line next time they play USC. 

I think gb has a love it /hate it profile. It’s definitely got a sweet corn and heavy wood set of notes. I personally find their regular stuff (smb and sib) to be mediocre and way over priced, but I find their high end stuff, like last year’s cowboy and this years Guadalupe or balmorhea to be very good. In fact, I think last year’s cowboy was one of the best whiskeys of the year. I do agree though that even for their good stuff, it is 2x what I would think the price should be. But there is nothing like it either, so it’s the only game in town for those that love it.

• Like 1