Bourbon

Jimbaround

37 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

So the $205 at the store in Ruidoso is not a good deal eh?

I mean if you want something good to drink on a ski trip and $50 doesn’t matter to you then why not?  

Little Book 01 tonight, back when Little Book was good and $89.  

7857CD4C-9ECC-4560-A55F-E1949A1BA37F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, stork642 said:

Random question.  The last two Weller FP’s I’ve gotten have been SPs and every time I see one posted they are SPs.  Is there a reason there are only SPs available of Weller FB?  Not seeing that with other Weller products.  

cases of wfp are hard to come by for stores, but if you buy a barrel, you get your ~185 bottles.  bingo bango, there are more store picks out in the world.  sounds like one of them good problems.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

You do you, but THH drinks much more like a bourbon (and a damn fine one) to my palate. I’m sure the 51% mash bill has a lot to do with that.

i have actually had it before and did like it quite a bit. more than mwnd which is one of the other high-end ryes in my collection. 

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

saturday night surprise in the grocery store stash room. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b08024c3ab4bb872c37835351148e3ad.jpeg

thing is, i don’t love rye. who wants to play “let’s make a deal”?

Based on your pictures from stopping by the grocery store, the list of things you can’t get your hands on has to be short. Anything out there you know you are interested in? I might be willing to part with my handle of Buffalo Trace I haven’t opened yet.

• Haha 1

Dumb question amnesty requested.

Going on 3 day trip to Big Bend with work buddies. Will have some downtime/ book readin/ bourbon sippin time but also some socialization and most likely opportunities for sharing said bottle.  If i take one bottle in that situation, what would you recommend for sharing with folks who are possibly a bit more casual in the approach to libations?  My gut said take a EC or Buffalo Trace and call it good, but possibly a JD single barrel or Still Austin?  Ultimately, just take what I want to drink and might be willing to share, right?

or just take 2 bottles...

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Going on 3 day trip to Big Bend with work buddies. Will have some downtime/ book readin/ bourbon sippin time but also some socialization and most likely opportunities for sharing said bottle.  If i take one bottle in that situation, what would you recommend for sharing with folks who are possibly a bit more casual in the approach to libations?  My gut said take a EC or Buffalo Trace and call it good, but possibly a JD single barrel or Still Austin?  Ultimately, just take what I want to drink and might be willing to share, right?

Take the Jack SiB BP. 

1 hour ago, slorch said:

In these situations I tend to go for a decent Four Roses or an Old Forester 1920 . Either one is usually easy to find, not super expensive, and they tend to drink easy.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

This calls for a liter of Early Times.  It goes down easy for the casual bourbon guy who likes it over ice or with ginger and other people can drink it straight and enjoy.  

Both fairly interesting bottles @BigDHornfan. I picked up a store pick of Wilderness Trail some years back because my office neighbor grew up in Danville, Kentucky. I’ve never bothered to open it. I think it’s BiB, but I’d have to dig it out and look.

Can you tell us more about the Jack pick? I’ve seen it around on the internet, but I don’t know much about it. 

1 hour ago, USCATX said:

Balcones Rye, Ironroot Harbinger and Iron Wolf.  

Yeah Balcones should sell 50 ml of their entire line. They’re good for about one pour, and you want to move on. 

Because of their price point, I’m going to hate on Balcone. Apologies in advance: 

Pot Still

Every single malt except Shiner 

Baby Blue Corn

It looks like more aged Garrison Bros is coming to market, but the price point has to down some.  Total wanted  $170 for it! 

On 3/13/2023 at 7:45 PM, slorch said:

I suggest JD Coy Hill 153.2 proof.  That’s how you find out who your true friends are.  Well maybe not.  I agree you can’t go wrong with OF 1920.  But I you take the Coy Hill we’re going to need a detailed recap of the events.  

On 3/13/2023 at 5:45 PM, slorch said:

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. It's my favorite bourbon and when I introduce it to others it usually gets a good reaction. 

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Happy to be wrong on my assumptions about this one. I have no idea what’s going on, but it’s fun. Maybe the best root beer of your life with a fruit note finish? Only whiskey can do weird shit like that.  It’s up there with the recent Birthday Bourbon selections. 
BEC9A567-A823-4D7D-A573-897BB82DCAC2.thumb.jpeg.d508f0bfa919c7d7ca006dcc625931ab.jpegC6A20A64-4750-436E-A656-A37FEB51C912.thumb.jpeg.4552f14bddb9fbd550fb0fc6cb2a643f.jpeg0F13B3E2-2E30-41C7-BC0D-4BF143AC26F6.thumb.jpeg.80f1dd4338c0ac1b85d0c838743a8c5b.jpeg

It tastes good

On 3/7/2023 at 6:53 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Here's the information.  I was a little off, the Single malt is going to be 90 proof and sherry finished.  But it's international travel release only for now.  Damnit.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2022/10/jack-daniels-american-single-malt-whiskey-to-launch-next-year/

Any plans to move it from duty free shops to a wide release or distillery gift sho[? Other than the proof and a couple years, I would think it would be relatively close to the 2022 Special Release. 

It’s very different. Our group was excited to pick one up and nobody liked it. It’s great on the front palate, but the finish is where all the grapefruit and walnut notes appear and it just didn’t work for me.

I flipped our opened bottle for a WFP and ER store pick combo.

I just spent an hour teaching my sophomore chemistry (F you, molar mass!) and decided to open this as a night cap.  Damn, Jack is just killing it right now and this leathery, oaky medium proof goodness could easily be mistaken for some of the best MGP I’ve ever had.  It’s a steal at $80 MSRP and I don’t even hate it at $300-$350 secondary. 

1DB6D473-4B36-4B63-8F5D-97C17C3E3BC1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

I know this is a bourbon thread, but I’m gonna throw in a recommendation for a highly sippable, inexpensive scotch. Johnny Walker Green (blend of 15 year old single malts) is absolutely delicious. Smooth with a light smoky finish. It gets really good reviews and you can find it for $50.

Another delicious whisky is the Nikka Yoichi. Not sure how to describe it other than it’s delicious with a lingering light smoky finish. It costs around $90.

Between the Johnny Green and Yoichi, I’m pretty set but am always open to something with a medium body and long smoky finish.