Bourbon

Jimbaround

26 minutes ago, cknight said:

Costco had a Rebecca creek double barrel store pick that I was told was MGP; does anyone know if that is true?

Also, bought a 14 year old tincup that is MGP; excited to try even if it’s only 84 proof

A notoriously cheap friend really likes the Tincup. It must be really good if it got him to reach for his wallet. 

46 minutes ago, cknight said:

Costco had a Rebecca creek double barrel store pick that I was told was MGP; does anyone know if that is true?

Also, bought a 14 year old tincup that is MGP; excited to try even if it’s only 84 proof

Those 5 year RC double oaks are MGP but kind of mediocre. We tasted through a few for a local club and ended up passing.  I don’t like the EC toasted at all and they were in that ballpark and nowhere near as good as an OF1910 or WR Double Oak.  

Still Austin is twice the whiskey GB is at half the cost.

Still is better than GB, but this isn’t an either/or situation. I have both brands in my bar and I’m happy about that. I don’t know why everyone still has to come out of the woodwork to shit on GB pricing 13 years later. It is what it is.

49 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How's are the Still Cask Strength picks at Spec's and Total Wine? I'm not touching them at 80 bucks, but I'd like to hear more about them. 

Regular cask strength was hot and young tasting, haven’t had the picks yet.  For that price at that age I would pass. New Riff single barrels are about the only thing I’ve had at four years that I cared about. 

About 6 months ago I decided to switch from going to the big local chain liquor store, and go to a local, but really well stocked one to see if I could develop a relationship that would pay dividends when it came to getting some good stuff. Prices a pretty comparable and I usually end up paying just a few dollars more. I've gotten to know one of of the clerks and asked for some recommendations on things, and then bought what he suggested. I was in there today and said I really liked his recommendation. When I was checking out, he reached below the counter and took out this and said it was really good. First time he's pulled something out that wasn't on the shelf. It was $75.00, and thought about passing but figured even if it wasn't that good it couldn't hurt to keep building the relationship for other future items I may really want but aren't out for the general public. What say you Surly? Did I get something decent, at a good price?

20230226_130058.thumb.jpg.55d68be9f491c0e82222a7bcb89b00af.jpg

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

At msrp it should have been $65 out the door so you didn't get absolutely hosed, but I wouldn't pay that for it. And honestly, idk that I would pay more than about $45 before tax for it either. It's not a bad bottle, but I don't find it to be worth what they're charging for it

this.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

At msrp it should have been $65 out the door so you didn't get absolutely hosed, but I wouldn't pay that for it. And honestly, idk that I would pay more than about $45 before tax for it either. It's not a bad bottle, but I don't find it to be worth what they're charging for it

2 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

this.

Thanks. If it leads to getting something nicer in the future, then it will have been worth the $20.00 investment.

12 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Absolutely worth it if that's the case, and you didn't get bent over for it either. I've got a couple; one of which is an 8 year 11 month bottle. I like it a lot, just not for that much 

Doesn't show in the pic, but it's an 8 year 10th month bottle. Saw some things on line that msrp is between 70 and 100. So maybe not a bad deal, straight up, after all. 

Edited by Mo Horn

4 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

Son of a bitch. I haven’t seen a single one of those just out on the shelves in Dallas in years. And you just casually pick all of them up on the same day….a Sunday!?

I’m fucking moving. 

It's them "Hollywood" connections. 

If we convincingly started a company called "Surly Pictures" and contacted the bourbon people about making a movie about them I bet they bend over backwards to load us up with all the Pappy and Stagg. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RichUT said:

We got a bottle of the double barrel JD special release and it was universally despised. I don’t know what they were shooting for with that one but it didn’t work at all. It almost tasted like BBQ a and not in a good way.

You must have gotten a stinker.  The one I have is great.

21 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

Son of a bitch. I haven’t seen a single one of those just out on the shelves in Dallas in years. And you just casually pick all of them up on the same day….a Sunday!?

i mean, you can do some shit and be like what the fuck but hey never on no sunday.

2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

This is how I picture HG in the grocery store.lauren hashian win GIF

i would describe it more like my girl goes back into the stash room and i'm like this for 3-5 minutes:

Episode #25: Return to Castle Groupon from Just The Tip | Podcast Episode  on Podbay

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Stopped in a random small town store today while driving between offices and picked up a Bookers and Stagg Jr at retail pricing. They had several decent options, but most were retail plus something which I wasn’t paying in a storefront.

if you didn't exchange numbers with the clerk there and explain how beneficial a future relationship with you would be, you fucked up.

5 hours ago, huge said:

With those 2 at retail I would have been interested in seeing what else they had.

But we trust your judgement.

I swear I responded but it’s not here.

They had the Willett 8 year Wheated at $399, an Elmer T Lee around $250, a WLW and Handy for $800 (may try and talk them down on the WLW), and several other things that I don’t remember pricing on. I grabbed those two because they were inexplicably at retail.

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

I swear I responded but it’s not here.

They had the Willett 8 year Wheated at $399, an Elmer T Lee around $250, a WLW and Handy for $800 (may try and talk them down on the WLW), and several other things that I don’t remember pricing on. I grabbed those two because they were inexplicably at retail.

Man, that Willett Wheated is trash at retail and nobody should be paying over unless they absolutely must show their friends how bad their taste is in bourbon.  I’d buy the hell out of an $800 WLW though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

I spotted a bottle of VW 12 year at a London bar last night and was curious to see what they were asking for a pour. €12.50 for a single and €25 for a double.

I quite enjoyed my double.

This is the real hunting these days.  Looking at a whiskey list and picking out something you want that’s also a great value is still a thing even though finding retail rare bottles is over.  Late last year I took a client to a cigar bar where they had $6.50 pours of Weller Single Barrel.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichUT said:

I spotted a bottle of VW 12 year at a London bar last night and was curious to see what they were asking for a pour. €12.50 for a single and €25 for a double.

I quite enjoyed my double.

I had some Pappy at an Aussie bar in London in 2013.  I forget which one but I do remember it was relatively reasonable.  Told the bartender I was a Texan and we talked bourbon for a while.

Finally finished this bottle of Rebel Yell 10 from ‘16.  It wasn’t quite Heaven Hill’s best work.  Too much peanut on the nose and generic vanilla/oak on the palate. I’m not sure I’ll need to buy these anymore as the MGP and other brands of wheaters get older. 
37D6FF9E-C2FA-42E2-B926-3820B4C7223C.thumb.jpeg.1c865acce87de1ee4d02071192f7ea8b.jpeg

I just got one today. Says it was barreled in ‘09. I know the age statement says 10 years. But is it possible that the age statement is just a minimum time in the barrel? Based on my maffs this is 13+ years old.
d64cde41e9aaf99ee76f6c2257144f64.jpg

I’m a big fan of peanuts and vanilla. I know some are down on the product but the quoted post piqued my interest. Looking forward to opening this up tonight.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Too bad I had to quit drinking brown liquors five or six years ago. It’s even getting difficult to drink plain Margaritas any more. 
Vodka in very moderate amounts still works for me ok.

I saw Armybrat commented in the thread and I expected him to post about this awesome Old Crow he drank at Lincoln’s Inauguration. I’m disappointed. 

• Like 1