Bourbon

Jimbaround

I’ll get flamed, but the what the hell. I drink it in moderation. Nightmare hangover fuel, but yes it tastes very good. 

How much do you drink that you get a hangover?
I put away my fair share of whiskey and I can’t remember the last time I had a hangover, regardless of what whiskey it was.
TexAgs has a New Riff barrel too now. They’re really putting us to shame fellas. 

New Riff is overrated. And it’s not even distributed in Texas yet.

5 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

How much do you drink that you get a hangover?
I put away my fair share of whiskey and I can’t remember the last time I had a hangover, regardless of what whiskey it was.
New Riff is overrated. And it’s not even distributed in Texas yet.

TexAgs did a RC Double Barrel pick as well. They claim it’s good. As it was suggested upthread, we should do a Surly pick. 

I always get hangovers if I drink a fair amount of anything. Usually pretty manageable. Nothing a cup of coffee can’t fix. But OF100, Willett Pot Still, and mint juleps give me splitting headaches the next day. 

I’m giving a skeptical friend a sample of the JD Twice Barreled. 

I’m hopeful for the American Single Malt category, but I think it works best when it’s finished. Sherry casks are good, but other fortified wines should work as well. It’ll be interesting to see how the industry plays with it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Logistics of a surly pick would be a nightmare.
There’s guys in DFW, Austin, Houston, etc, you’d have to get samples to, decide what store to go through.
Personally I wouldn’t recommend it, I’m involved with probably 35-40 picks a year and a lot of times it’s just a big pain in the ass.

16 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

There’s guys in DFW, Austin, Houston, etc, you’d have to get samples to, decide what store to go through.
Personally I wouldn’t recommend it, I’m involved with probably 35-40 picks a year and a lot of times it’s just a big pain in the ass.

Delivery at a home game?

Or Lee Harvey’s OU Weekend Happy Hour. 

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Correct.  I thought we were just here to post unicorns and share a few random cheap bottles that don’t suck. 

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:21 PM, BigDHornfan said:

i just assumed 2-3 of y'all would make the pick and the rest of us would just kick in.  where is the trust, fellas?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I will preface this with I fucking love the JD barrel proof sib’s and the ryes,
But I don’t get the Sinatra.
Why pay so much for Gentleman Jack that’s 85 proof instead of 80 and aged in a barrel with grooves in it?
Biggest marketing scam Jack does.

90 proof sir and it’s a liter.

I decided that I like JD enough that I should try every release I can get my hands on. 

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

I meant 90 lol
I was thinking 45% and had a stroke evidently.
I’ve had it and it’s just not worth the $ and I’m past the point in collecting bottles just to collect them.
And I have no room.
I honestly don’t know why I buy anything anymore.

It’s not priced well. The last release was in Spring 2022, and I don’t think they’re bringing it back. I figured if I don’t buy one now, I might not see it again. 

I don’t remember it being a glass case turd. It was usually gone in a couple months. I don’t remember seeing it after Father’s Day 2022. 

Maybe it tastes like JD prior to 1987 when they proofed it down from 90 to 86. I guess I’m paying to find out. 

I believe the TexAgs guys use Oak Liquor Cabinet to distribute their picks. Logistics would be challenging, but there’s a road map on how to do it. 

I know Raj well. My group is just a couple miles away and we’ve done three picks with Oak (Lucky 7, Blue Note JJ, and Penelope) that are hitting in the next couple months. If there is legit interest here, I could probably broach the subject with him.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Been looking for this one.  Happy to pay $65.  C55B3BAB-F69C-472F-8421-BA34A09FB053.thumb.jpeg.a1fdb681690a7dfacc6c1ad4a951d95a.jpeg

Good for you man. The punk rock Spec’s Houston bourbon guy looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked about it today. They love to tell me they had Eagle Rare 20 minutes ago/marketing technique, but I kind of believe him. He’s on too much mescaline to lie. 

I’ll never say no again to EHT anything, but probably only calling in favors for BP and Rye. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/24/2023 at 4:59 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s not priced well. The last release was in Spring 2022, and I don’t think they’re bringing it back. I figured if I don’t buy one now, I might not see it again. 

I don’t remember it being a glass case turd. It was usually gone in a couple months. I don’t remember seeing it after Father’s Day 2022. 

Maybe it tastes like JD prior to 1987 when they proofed it down from 90 to 86. I guess I’m paying to find out. 

my grocery store has the sinatra. going tomorrow, will let you know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/21/2023 at 7:24 PM, henrygandorf said:

i just assumed 2-3 of y'all would make the pick and the rest of us would just kick in.  where is the trust, fellas?

i lurk here but that's what i thought as well, makes it easier/simpler to actually make it happen

So last couple weekends have been fruitful.

Last weekend I got a Stagg for $200 (I know but I’ve be looking for 3 years and finally decided I’d pay a marked up price to get what I wanted. Dons in cedar park…

Picked up a backup Rebecca creek Spanish oak - this is a good bottle for $60, happy to have a backup.

Picked up one of oak liquor’s eagle rare store pics today. Love me some OLC

Picked up a lady bird GB today from a twins.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So last couple weekends have been fruitful.

Last weekend I got a Stagg for $200 (I know but I’ve be looking for 3 years and finally decided I’d pay a marked up price to get what I wanted. Dons in cedar park…

Picked up a backup Rebecca creek Spanish oak - this is a good bottle for $60, happy to have a backup.

Picked up one of oak liquor’s eagle rare store pics today. Love me some OLC

Picked up a lady bird GB today from a twins.

Hopefully Eagle Rare picks make it this way. Dandy would be best. Lines should be manageable. 

Went to a local Facebook bourbon group gathering tonight. There were 50 different bottles that people brought to share. Tried several different things, and had a great time. We won the door prize. 25 different pours to taste and comment on. It was a great night.

FB_IMG_1685242287171.jpg.ed51aa3132c9d12adb9837130df463fe.jpg

• Like 1

This rye is good, but not $180-$190 good.  It’s pretty classic MGP with more oak dryness than average from the age, but feels very muted because of the low proof.  It reminds me of the Bulleit 10 yr where they seem to be aiming for an older high rye bourbon profile instead of embracing the herbal notes of the rye.  I’m not quite at regret, but I wouldn’t grab another one. 

3E294B46-0540-4098-972D-5DA0D951BC73.jpeg

• Like 1