The 2018 Hunting Thread

Bert Orange

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This may have already been brought up, but anyone here protein supplement with cottonseed?  Looking specifically at Rowena Milling.  Figure I can get close to 1,000# in the truck, covered with a tarp.  @ $300/ton +/-, not a bad option, I'm thinking.

Give it time to get out of the bucks' systems prior to the rut.  Gossypol (natural toxin in cotton) can affect deer in many different ways; one of which is causin problem with their ability to reproduce.

8 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Give it time to get out of the bucks' systems prior to the rut.  Gossypol (natural toxin in cotton) can affect deer in many different ways; one of which is causin problem with their ability to reproduce.

So two windows, pre and post rut?  Approximately how much time does it get out of their system?

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

So two windows, pre and post rut?  Approximately how much time does it get out of their system?

Stop feeding cottonseed (removed any leftovers, as well) as the bucks' remove the velvet from their antlers and then start again as normal supplementing after the rut.  

Gossypol can render the bucks temporarily sterile.  Stop feeding it so they can get the gossypol out of their systems in time for the rut.

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I'm going to officially pull the plug on the opener this weekend and push it back to next weekend.  What a letdown.

I'm supposed to fly in on Monday and hunt Tues. and Wed. around S.A.

Is it already a quagmire down there?  I'm wondering if I'll get the call from my host that we are washed out.

10 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm supposed to fly in on Monday and hunt Tues. and Wed. around S.A.

Is it already a quagmire down there?  I'm wondering if I'll get the call from my host that we are washed out.

San Antonio has already had 6 inches of rain in the last 7 days and going to get at least a few more this weekend.  And rain in the forecast every day until next Thursday.

Good luck.

The family doesnt want to go to our ranch near junction this weekend. I have had three friends puss out because of rain forecast. I am going by myself for a weekend of relaxation. I cant wait. Fuck the rain. May pull a 16 hour hunt, dove then night hunt hogs then dove hunt the am. Freeeeeedom!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

The family doesnt want to go to our ranch near junction this weekend. I have had three friends puss out because of rain forecast. I am going by myself for a weekend of relaxation. I cant wait. Fuck the rain. May pull a 16 hour hunt, dove then night hunt hogs then dove hunt the am. Freeeeeedom!

L I V I N! Just keep your phone handy or be careful; don't want to be like that guy that was upside down in a treestand harness for 24 hours. 

2 hours ago, 686 said:

L I V I N! Just keep your phone handy or be careful; don't want to be like that guy that was upside down in a treestand harness for 24 hours

I am less worried about the tree stand and more worried about the whiskey I will drink during the usc game. Lord help me. 😂

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 7:13 PM, 686 said:

As soon as the first September cool front comes though, I start getting the deer stand itch myself.

October is a great time to eliminate some swine.  Addresses the itch to get in the woods, sit in the  stand, watch / scout some deer....and spill some (pig) blood.  Win-win-win!

October is a great time to eliminate some swine.  Addresses the itch to get in the woods, sit in the  stand, watch / scout some deer....and spill some (pig) blood.  Win-win-win!

This idea has merit. I need to take some time and get my food plots planted around the first of October as well.

We played in the mud in Live Oak County this weekend for South Zone opener.  We had a commitment Saturday morning, so we didn't make it down there until 3 PM Saturday.  Sat on the patio and watched it rain until 6 PM.  Got an hour of hunting in before it opened up again.  It was a damn shame too.  Both my 10-yo son and I were shooting lights out.  The birds werent flying like crazy, but they were coming in to the Mojos in manageable quantities.  The boy had three birds in about 10 shots, and I hit six of eight.  They were slow the next morning, and we only got three more between us.  Fun times, but muddy and messy. 

I decided to get the crossbow that was on sale at Academy last month and finally found time to put it together and sight it in. After getting the scope squared away after 15 shots, I got it dialed in pretty good. Now just going to practice with it and hope I get a retarded deer that will get within 40 yards of my tree stand.
First pic is at 10 yards and second is at 20 yards. Going to get it out to 30 yards next time but probably won't practice much outside of that. From my stand to the feeder is 22 yards.f1c9851018e5557751a04a694b6b840a.jpg7fb19beb0f6b8819d6d6377c4460c6b8.jpg

• Like 1

We went on opening weekend just due east of Uvalde. We limited out off a field and a watering hole.

It was my 2nd time dove hunting there but last year it was slow which from my friends apparently that was not normal. But what surprised me is they were all mourning dove. Not white winged.

Great time, lots of beer, we smoked a pork butt... just that game sucked.

Edited by RD3

11 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I may have asked this up thread but I’m lazy.

Has anyone used the Full Boar or sub X rounds while hunting with a can? I shoot a 300 BLK with a can as my pig rig and had heard mixed reviews on the Sub X but not much on the Full Boar.

This is second-hand, but a former hunter of ours had a SBR 300 BLK with a built in suppressor that his kids hunted with.  Depends obviously on the range.  These were all 70-80yd shots and he liked not having to have them wear ear protection so he could take them through the shot (plus it was just a cool as rig).  Used sub-sonic rounds.  Not sure if this helps or not.  I'll show myself out now....

What ammo did he use? Most .308 projectiles don’t expand reliably subsonic.

This is where I’m at.
The SubX round is 190 grain so it’s nearing sub levels but the reviews on tumbling are mixed. Most of my pig shots are within 100 yards so it might be alright.

Full boar is 110 grain but I’ve shot that weight through my can before just curious if any others had used it.

What ammo did he use? Most .308 projectiles don’t expand reliably subsonic.

This is where I’m at.
The SubX round is 190 grain so it’s nearing sub levels but the reviews on tumbling are mixed. Most of my pig shots are within 100 yards so it might be alright.

Full boar is 110 grain but I’ve shot that weight through my can before just curious if any others had used it.

I hunt with both a .308 and 300blk canned gun.  Shoot both supers and subs in both.

Best expansion with penetration I have found shooting subs comes from Lehigh Defense 194 gr "Maximum Expansion" rounds out of my Blackout. 

It's my go-to if I know I'm hunting somewhere tight and just want to shoot subs.   

If I'm not sure the distance of any particular shot, I just run supers and don't worry about it - still comfortable to shoot and I'm not constrained by length of shot as much.

If I'm hunting with my .308 and a can, I just shoot my normal rounds and enjoy the relative quiet.  I haven't played with any of the .308 subs enough to recommend or warn, as I'm happy with how the Lehigh bullet performs and I don't need to reinvent that wheel.

1 hour ago, 686 said:

Pulled cards last week. Most of the velvet is knocked off. Pigs have not shown up on camera since the rain started.

e2b3bd5d2775ece45bfe4c75660f2329.jpg

Got one other little issue to deal with:

a64c7ecd236580a62fce881d18b443e7.jpg

Dewd.  Two VERY nice 10's!!!  I'd have a case of the happy-pants after pulling that card!

One with height, and the width on the other.  Where is this at?  And are the cows yours or a neighbor?  Just throw up some panels as stated.  With all this rain, easy to get t-posts in the ground.  Make it round to help keep out pigs.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Dewd.  Two VERY nice 10's!!!  I'd have a case of the happy-pants after pulling that card!

One with height, and the width on the other.  Where is this at?  And are the cows yours or a neighbor?  Just throw up some panels as stated.  With all this rain, easy to get t-posts in the ground.  Make it round to help keep out pigs.  

Thanks, I think they are both 6+ years old, so definitely potential takers for this year. This is west of Lampasas. The cows are in our south pasture, but the calves have found a gap in the fence, I'll have to go fix it. 

• Like 1

4 days till teal season. Who all is going out? I've got a few hanging out in the wetlands that I'm taking some kids out to hunt.

17 between 4 of us before we got shutdown by the remnants of that tropical system. ~2ish hrs of legal shooting before we were rained out. Last Sat in Colorado Cnty over rice. My back still hasn’t healed from the mosquitos, but the blood loss helps the ABV power of domestic lights and cold. Only group over 3 ducks we saw was the very last group ahead of the sheets of rain 500 yards out. Slow sporadic action of onesies twosies all morning.

Buddy is going to give it another go over the same pocket tomorrow morning, but I’m sure he’s going to get wet and miserable.

Scrubbed our dove hunt outside of Caldwell this weekend. Property owner reported “Z-E-R-O” birds. They had no measurable precipitation for 60+ days this summer, then 4.5” the week before the opener. Frustrations of a TX bird hunter.

• 2 weeks later...