The 2018 Hunting Thread

Bert Orange

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Concho county, south of OH Ivie.

Won't go to my joint in Uvalde until the 14th.  We'll hunt tanks and puddled up river.  Taking customers to sunflower and sesame fields.  Outfitter says WWs are on the irrigated fields. 

Hope you bag some.  Have fun. 

Won't go to my joint in Uvalde until the 14th.  We'll hunt tanks and puddled up river.  Taking customers to sunflower and sesame fields.  Outfitter says WWs are on the irrigated fields. 
Hope you bag some.  Have fun. 

Yep, after this we’ll hunt our lease bear town. Mostly stock tank shots. But this was a good road trip.

Hunting over a stocked tank.  Lost 2 dove to hungry bass ... swallowed whole within seconds of hitting the water.   Those fish are probably still burping feathers this am.  Hadn’t ever sent that before but not surprised.  In my yooot we had some top water lures that mimicked baby black birds flopping wings on the water.  Still a bit odd to see it happen live. 

• Like 1

Limited in 25 minutes in a sunflower field in McCook outside of McAllen. About a box and half for a .430 average. Need to improve...

On another note, found a true hunter show, a man I envy and wish I could have the honor to meet...…..Steve Criner is the Dog Soldier.

https://www.carbontv.com/shows/dog-soldier-the-tactical-predator-hunter/seasons/1/clips/1/

Search dog soldier on amazon prime and one of his season's is up. This man is a true hunter. "Coyotes are made to kill, and we're made to kill'em"

https://www.amazon.com/Chapter-1-Made-For-Killin/dp/B07DVWGBRM

3 hours ago, thestud said:

Limited out yesterday morning, afternoon and this morning. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

I know a big group that got ticketed last year on opening day like that.

Some GW's don't check anyone in the AM.....just observe from a distance and then return to the same field that evening....and then bust you for being over limit.

Not passing judgement....just relaying something to be conscious of.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 5:28 PM, Brisketexan said:

At our evening hunt. Hot as usual on opening day. Found a shady spot. Got a coupla coldbeers. Even if we don’t get shots, nice to be out.

Dry out here, and the food plots didn’t really take because no rain. We’ll see if mojos help.

Horns suck shit through a straw. Same old same old.

I drank more beers than fired rounds on our evening hunt out in Haskell County yesterday.  Dry as shit out there

Every year I hunt out near Abilene and it really does differ yearly. I think it was so hot this year that we were just shooting natives, the migratory dove hadn't come down yet.

That being said, like every year, I was a horrible shot and should have limited out by 10am, but instead shot 12 birds over the course of an AM and PM. 

7 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Every year I hunt out near Abilene and it really does differ yearly. I think it was so hot this year that we were just shooting natives, the migratory dove hadn't come down yet.

That being said, like every year, I was a horrible shot and should have limited out by 10am, but instead shot 12 birds over the course of an AM and PM. 

That’s exactly the case.   2 years ago I limited out Friday evening in 15 minutes then Took 45 mins for me to limit out Saturday morning suffering through a mean hangover.   This year they just haven’t had any rain.  My uncle usually has a few hundred acres of sunflowers for them to feed on.   They died months ago.  Just up and down out there.   He said he’s had 2 inches of rain since last August, and that’s with about 4 different measuring spots he has out there.  Just bad luck this year 

Edited by Trey3216

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

That’s exactly the case.   2 years ago I limited out Friday evening in 15 minutes.  Took 45 mins for me to limit our Saturday morning suffering through a mean hangover.   This year they just haven’t had any rain.  My uncle usually has a few hundred acres of sunflowers for them to feed on.   They died months ago.  Just up and down out there.   He said he’s had 2 inches of rain since last August, and that’s with about 4 different measuring spots he has out there.  Just bad luck this year 

Glass half full: Not having a lot of the sun flower meant that I didn't lose a few birds I couldn't find in the thigh high or hip way stuff. This year I could see it all lol.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:15 AM, Reagan1k said:

Hunting over a stocked tank.  Lost 2 dove to hungry bass ... swallowed whole within seconds of hitting the water.   Those fish are probably still burping feathers this am.  Hadn’t ever sent that before but not surprised.  In my yooot we had some top water lures that mimicked baby black birds flopping wings on the water.  Still a bit odd to see it happen live. 

Nature says "hi."

13 hours ago, deadshank said:

Friggin' gorefest. 

Life eats life.  My wife this one friend who just anthropomorphizes the crap out of bears online.  Wants to be around them.  Thinks they are natures cuddle toys.  Told her to listen to the Steve Rinella podcast from Afognak island and his bear story.  Of look at the #natureismetal video of the bear eating a screaming doe in a someone's backyard.  They don't clamp down on your windpipe and kill you quickly like cats do.  They just eat you ass first, while you are still alive.  Damn monsters.....

And if you've never had bear sausage....you're missing out.  Wouldn't want to have to prepare it (parasite-heavy meat), but it's damn good.  

took my 10 year old down to a spot in Lytle just south of san Antonio.  We had access to a huge field of sunflowers.  The sheer volume of birds was absolutely argentina levels.  Kiddo shot about 400 rounds, and hit 13 birds.  Not bad considering he'd never shot a shotgun, nor ever fired at a moving target ever.  Everyone else easily limited out.  I hadn't been bird hunting in so long I had forgotten how fun it was. Can't wait to go back.  I need to get a new gun for me and the kiddo. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Life eats life.  My wife this one friend who just anthropomorphizes the crap out of bears online.  Wants to be around them.  Thinks they are natures cuddle toys.  Told her to listen to the Steve Rinella podcast from Afognak island and his bear story.  Of look at the #natureismetal video of the bear eating a screaming doe in a someone's backyard.  They don't clamp down on your windpipe and kill you quickly like cats do.  They just eat you ass first, while you are still alive.  Damn monsters.....

And if you've never had bear sausage....you're missing out.  Wouldn't want to have to prepare it (parasite-heavy meat), but it's damn good.  

Yep.  The equating of animals, especially predators, to cuddly play dolls is stupid.  The Christmas time Coca-Cola commercial with the playful polar bears is awful and sends out the wrong message.  Those bears would play with you all right.  Play with your guts after they ripped off your face.

Heck, just last night, the NBC Nightly News had a segment on some safari in Africa where a friggin' lion was up with the photo safari people in the vehicle.  For some reason the lion was just playing around and everybody had their cell phones out taking video.  I thought that interaction could turn for the worse in a hearbeat.  What the F was the outfitter thinking allowing that to happen?   Now some of the customers could think that interaction with lions is normal lion behavior.  Wow.

Edited by deadshank
ending sentences with prepositions
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 7:15 AM, Reagan1k said:

That's when a hunting trip would become a fishing trip for me.

19 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

That's when a hunting trip would become a fishing trip for me.

Ponds are too low and there's way to much grass to fish it right now.  Also not sure how many fish would survive a fight with the condition of the tanks,  but when the water levels are right we pull in bass and crappie till it ceases to be fun.   I never would have guessed stock-tank crappie could get this big in central Texas.

I fish as much as I hunt early season when the weather is nice.  I've had a day where I caught bass/crappie, shot ducks, deer, and a hog, and watched turkey all from the same spot on a bucket.

It was my personal outdoors GrandSlam day. 

• Like 2

took my 10 year old down to a spot in Lytle just south of san Antonio.  We had access to a huge field of sunflowers.  The sheer volume of birds was absolutely argentina levels.  Kiddo shot about 400 rounds, and hit 13 birds.  Not bad considering he'd never shot a shotgun, nor ever fired at a moving target ever.  Everyone else easily limited out.  I hadn't been bird hunting in so long I had forgotten how fun it was. Can't wait to go back.  I need to get a new gun for me and the kiddo. 
Did you go out with Double H Outfitters?

22 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

White wings?

18 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Ponds are too low and there's way to much grass to fish it right now.  Also not sure how many fish would survive a fight with the condition of the tanks,  but when the water levels are right we pull in bass and crappie till it ceases to be fun.   I never would have guessed stock-tank crappie could get this big in central Texas.

I fish as much as I hunt early season when the weather is nice.  I've had a day where I caught bass/crappie, shot ducks, deer, and a hog, and watched turkey all from the same spot on a bucket.

It was my personal outdoors GrandSlam day. 

That's friggin glorious.  In my household, that is referred to as "super happy fun day".

The closest I've come to that is during the winter dove season about 15 years ago.  We managed to kill a limit of dove on a Sunday morning at my buddy's ranch in George West over a big tilled under milo field.  We ate breakfast and headed over to the other side of the ranch and busted a limit of quail by mid afternoon.  We cleaned birds and everyone drove back home.  My deer lease was about 30 miles south of there, and I was chasing an old 8-pt buck that I'd seen driving around the weekend before, so I stayed late and drove down thereto sit in the windmill blind on the far western edge of our lease.  That old buck walked out just before dusk and I whacked him.  Field dressed him in the dark and drove back home.  Long day, but so much fun.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I have a few Remington 870 Express synthetics, new in the box, never fired, for $250 if anyone is interested. Centex area.