The 2018 Hunting Thread

Bert Orange

Winch-feeders:  Hang 'em high, to the specific.  They have pretty long tripod legs.  Anyone think with tie-down you could get one in the bed of a pickup?  Thinking of heading in Angelo and picking another one up?

West Texas Game Feeders
The site says "easy to assemble" so it looks like the 3 legs come individually to be put together to the plate on top. You would have several feet hanging over the tailgate, but pick up red cloth or ribbon to tie to the end, strap them down and you should be good to go.

15 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
22 hours ago, BabaYaga said:
Winch-feeders:  Hang 'em high, to the specific.  They have pretty long tripod legs.  Anyone think with tie-down you could get one in the bed of a pickup?  Thinking of heading in Angelo and picking another one up?

West Texas Game Feeders

The site says "easy to assemble" so it looks like the 3 legs come individually to be put together to the plate on top. You would have several feet hanging over the tailgate, but pick up red cloth or ribbon to tie to the end, strap them down and you should be good to go.

So they are 14ft long legs.  Taking buddies Tundra with it's anemic little 5.5ft bed.  That's a lot to hang off the ass of a truck.  Even with red tape.  Dammit, I need a trailer.  

10 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:
So they are 14ft long legs.  Taking buddies Tundra with it's anemic little 5.5ft bed.  That's a lot to hang off the ass of a truck.  Even with red tape.  Dammit, I need a trailer.  

Rent a uhaul trailer one way, if that keeps prices in line.

Found one!

On 10/2/2018 at 9:27 AM, BabaYaga said:

West Texas Game Feeders

We love them. Have 2. Worth it. The raccoons are skinnier now.  

10 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Make sure you guys keep checking those cable connections on the hanging feeders. Had a buddy nearly get hit when he cranked his up and it gave loose.

Roger that.  I've also heard of guys up on ladders, falling off, and getting tangled up in, or even getting impaled on t-posts, fencing, or stakes anchoring the feeder legs.  

Been trying to triage a feeder with an old timer.  Low to the ground, opened the top and a M-Fing swarm of wasps tried to murder me.  So I screamed like a girl and tripped over my own feet.  Had I been up on a ladder.....

Decided to put in a food plot for the deer. It took over 10 hours to rip through the grass to get a good seed bed so I hope it's worth it.2a8d67740364babc8b98c16c84e3b377.jpg

Where about is your place? I have had good results with Turner Seed mix, but it’s more expensive than BWI and harder to find. I wish I could have planted last week, hopefully this week.

56eaa4f95134c859a2771e9b3de5e33e.jpg

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Roger that.  I've also heard of guys up on ladders, falling off, and getting tangled up in, or even getting impaled on t-posts, fencing, or stakes anchoring the feeder legs.  

Been trying to triage a feeder with an old timer.  Low to the ground, opened the top and a M-Fing swarm of wasps tried to murder me.  So I screamed like a girl and tripped over my own feet.  Had I been up on a ladder.....

I built one of these for the lulz, but I sure do love sitting drinking a beer and not walking up a ladder over and over. I did have an old blower and extra pvc lipe laying around. Just had to buy a trash can.

Edited by HOOKEM4

Where about is your place? I have had good results with Turner Seed mix, but it’s more expensive than BWI and harder to find. I wish I could have planted last week, hopefully this week.

56eaa4f95134c859a2771e9b3de5e33e.jpg
My place is in Ellis County. First time planting a food plot so wasn't going to go with the expensive Turner Seed mix.

We have 14 just like that, we had the top plate made to accept legs and rigged our own, but an identical design and they've been great.  Very sturdy as long as the winch and cable are sized properly.  One tip is to always leave the winch handle in the up position so a deer or cow doesn't rub on it and release the brake.

Also, NEVER grab for the handle if it slips when cranking it down. It'll bite you!

On 10/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, Both Tacos said:

My place is in Ellis County. First time planting a food plot so wasn't going to go with the expensive Turner Seed mix.

How many acres did you plant and what proportion is that to your place; and how did you plant (fertilize, disk, throw seed, drag?)?  I've been food plotting for about 10 years on various places. In my experience, its all about soil prep and planting methods/techniques; so if your results aren't what you hoped, don't get discouraged, just look at what you could be doing differently on your technique and implement that next time. 

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/idaho-wildlife-official-urged-to-resign-over-photo-of-baboon/article_4aa6fa4f-9d72-5c93-ab1f-bbde6616ded8.html

what's the verdict?  does this dude deserve all the shit that he's getting.  i'm of the mind that just because it's legal doesn't mean that you should. 

taking an entire family of baboons...not sure why.  what's he going to do with them?  mount them so he can show his kids that he shoots baby animals?

51 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

just read that baboons are a nuisance approaching the levels of feral hogs in the states.  if this is true and they are anything as destructive as hogs, then the only thing this dude did wrong is not killing more.  

They are worse than hogs. They climb fences and like to tear the thatched roofs off houses. There are tons of them. Several ranchers I met shoot every one they see.

Edited by 686

“Fischer and his wife shot at least 14 animals in Namibia, according to the photos and descriptions included in the email he sent to more than 100 recipients. The species included giraffe, leopard, impala, sable antelope, waterbuck, kudu, warthog, gemsbok (oryx) and eland.

The first animals were four baboons shot by Fischer, which put that photo right at the top of his email. He wrote that his wife wanted to watch him hunt at first because it was her first trip to Africa. Fischer was making his third trip.

“So I shot a whole family of baboons,” Fischer wrote below a photo of him smiling while posing with the four baboons. “I think she got the idea quick.”

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/idaho-wildlife-official-urged-to-resign-over-photo-of-baboon/article_4aa6fa4f-9d72-5c93-ab1f-bbde6616ded8.html

I hunt, I fish, I eat meat, but the whole thing is still strange. I don’t get the trophy hunting deal and I sure don’t get slinging photos around after the fact. The list of animals above from one hunting trip just doesn't compute with my view of hunting or even wildlife management. Additionally, as a fish and game commissioner you have to realize the optics on that aren’t good in today’s environment. Posing the juvenile baboons is beyond stupid.

Lol no. Maybe if you are looking to get butt hurt about something. They’re animals.

Sure.

But if you’re utterly oblivious to how that looks, then you’re not doing yourself any favors.

I’m no greenie. I’ve killed literally thousands of animals. My family just ate some kickass venison chili tonight. But if my wife and daughter saw the baboon pic, they wouldn’t think very highly of hunting in that moment. Why invite completely expected negative responses and thoughts about hunting when you don’t have to?
  • Like 1

A quick CSB:

Our Professional Hunter was driving us back from the ranch to Joburg after our hunt, and we’re on a road about like 281 west of Austin. We come around a curve and there are about 20 baboons lazily sitting in the middle of the road ahead. As we get to about 1/8 mile from the animals, the PH floors the accelerator. We’re all like WTF/ in disbelief, but the baboons slowly start to split up and head to the shoulder. The PH then steers toward(!) a group of them (we’re all thinking this is going to be a huge mess and I hope we don’t roll the truck), but they scatter a few seconds before we pass by at 90-100mph. The PH then explains that it is “impossible” to hit a baboon; they always get out of the way. He actually said they tried it in a friend’s Nissan GTR at ~150mph and still couldn’t hit them. (These guys are obviously kinda adrenaline junkies)

Africa; it’s like a whole other country.

Sure.

But if you’re utterly oblivious to how that looks, then you’re not doing yourself any favors.

I’m no greenie. I’ve killed literally thousands of animals. My family just ate some kickass venison chili tonight. But if my wife and daughter saw the baboon pic, they wouldn’t think very highly of hunting in that moment. Why invite completely expected negative responses and thoughts about hunting when you don’t have to?

Maybe his kids are unfamiliar with what he does for his day job. I would expect this given his employment.

19 hours ago, crash_davis said:

what's the verdict?  does this dude deserve all the shit that he's getting.  i'm of the mind that just because it's legal doesn't mean that you should. 

taking an entire family of baboons...not sure why.  what's he going to do with them?  mount them so he can show his kids that he shoots baby animals?

The only mistake he made was sending out the pictures. Need to have more awareness than that. A friend of mine and his wife own a Veterinary business. They went on Safari last year and he wound up posting a bunch of pictures of a dead zebra, elephant, lion, etc etc etc. I thought for sure he committed professional suicide but I never heard about any complaints. Animal lovers are usually an unforgiving bunch. 

The only mistake he made was sending out the pictures. Need to have more awareness than that. A friend of mine and his wife own a Veterinary business. They went on Safari last year and he wound up posting a bunch of pictures of a dead zebra, elephant, lion, etc etc etc. I thought for sure he committed professional suicide but I never heard about any complaints. Animal lovers are usually an unforgiving bunch. 

Well, it ain’t just the treehuggers. Middle of the road people who are fine with hunting in general (think my wife and daughter) would be turned off by those pics.

So, you’re right - the pics were the mistake.

Baboons in Africa are a bigger problem than hogs in Texas.  Ranchers kill every one they can.   In Windhoek, all of the homes have electric fencing to keep the baboons out.  

Without a doubt, the picture with the family of baboons was a huge mistake.  Hard to believe he would post that.

Idaho wildlife official resigns after killing baboon family

The Associated Press
  • October 16, 2018 02:30 PM

Updated 57 minutes ago

BOISE, IDAHO 

A top Idaho wildlife official has resigned amid outrage over a photo of him posing with a baboon family he killed during a hunting trip Africa, ending days of turmoil for a state where big game hunting is popular but critics said the photo was seen as unsportsmanlike by hunting enthusiasts.

Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter said in a statement that he asked for and accepted Blake Fischer's resignation on Monday, three days after the Idaho Statesman newspaper published the first report about a photo of Fischer smiling with four dead baboons propped in front of him.

The photo and others of Fischer and his wife shooting at least 14 animals in Namibia were accompanied by descriptions in an email that Fischer sent to more than 100 recipients. Fischer has said he did nothing illegal, unethical or immoral.

He didn't apologize for killing the baboons but said in his resignation to Otter that he "recently made some poor judgments that resulted in sharing photos of a hunt in which I did not display an appropriate level of sportsmanship and respect for the animals I harvested."SIGN ME UP!

The baboon family photo showed blood visible on the abdomen of the smallest baboon, its head lolling back to rest on the chest of one of the dead adult baboons. Fischer killed them using a bow and arrows, visible in the bottom of the picture.

It drew condemnation from longtime Idaho hunters, including Otter, who is 76 and said Tuesday that he has "hunted and fished all my life."

"I would never have done that, and I would never encourage anybody to do that," Otter told The Associated Press in an interview.

The photo of Fischer with the dead baboons hurts Idaho's reputation as a hunting and fishing paradise, Otter said.

"I think it's tainted," he said. "Fortunately, he has resigned. We'd like to get this behind us because this is not us."

Fischer was one of seven members on the Idaho Fish and Game Commission. Otter appoints commissioners and under Idaho law can also remove them. Otter initially appointed Fischer in 2014 and reappointed him in June to a second four-year-term.

"I have high expectations and standards for every appointee in state government," Otter said. "Every member of my administration is expected to exercise good judgment. Commissioner Fischer did not."

Fischer and his wife during their Africa trip also killed a giraffe, a leopard, an impala, a sable antelope, a waterbuck, a kudu, a warthog, a gemsbok (oryx) and an eland.

Fischer has a business in southwestern Idaho that sells irrigation products used by ranchers and farmers. He did not return a telephone message seeking comment that was left at his business on Tuesday.

Most of the photos with the animals were posed, like typical big game hunting photos from Idaho and other western U.S. states showing hunters with dead deer, elk and mountain lions.

After the baboon photo was made public, at least two former Idaho Fish and Game Commission members to call for Fischer's resignation.

"Sportsmanlike behavior is the center pin to maintaining hunting as a socially acceptable activity," former member Fred Trevey said in an email.

The commission Fischer served on makes policy decisions about Idaho's wildlife, and it often manages game populations through hunting and fishing regulations.

Those regulations are intended promote ethical wildlife hunting. Some of Idaho's policies, such as on wolf and grizzly bear hunting, have been challenged in federal courts.

Otter said he has received several applications to fill the open commission seat but had no timeline for naming a new commissioner.