Promising Young Woman

Beau Vine

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Giving this its own thread because it's up for Best Picture.

Other than the cringeworthy Paris Hilton song scene, I freaking loved this movie.  I think Carey Mulligan get the Best Actress Oscar and the screenplay is pretty deserving.  

i agree with everything you've said except the paris hilton song.  the absurdity in that scene showed how hard it was for her to let go of her edge and actually have a real life, move on, and possibly be happy.  that was her constant struggle, and the growth she showed through the film was towards that end.  until other things happened.

really enjoyed it, overlooking some minor plot inconveniences.

Spoiler

the only part that bugged me a little was her pulling her little game seemingly at the same bars and clubs over and over.  may only work in nyc or possibly in la if you included the outer areas.  it showed her twice running into someone who "recognized" her - richard splett and her boyfriend.  considering the number of tallies in her book, that shit would've happened a lot, and she really could only use each bar once, maybe twice, if you consider a bit of reality.

the setups and the end game kinda reminded me of the ellen page movie, "hard candy".

• Hook 'Em 1

Loved the movie, particularly how they cast everyone except the best man against character, but I hated the ending.  

Spoiler

Either have him get away with it, or allow her to have her revenge.  Instead they tried to split the difference and it fell very flat for me.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 2:06 AM, Bateshorn said:

Loved the movie, particularly how they cast everyone except the best man against character, but I hated the ending.  

Hide contents

Either have him get away with it, or allow her to have her revenge.  Instead they tried to split the difference and it fell very flat for me.

Spoiler

Yeah, was her plan just to slice him up a bit writing Nina and if I get murdered...yolo.  I'll just have them arrested during the wedding at the same time I send a scheduled text.  Also the existence of the video being a surprise to so many didn't add up, since Brie said it was passed around.

But pretty good flick.  Thought Mulligan was good going from obsessed, and depressed to fun, cute, falling in love.  I predicted how that would end but wasn't sure how.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:06 AM, Bateshorn said:

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed completely, I though it was great until the ending:

Spoiler

I wouldn't mind that she died if they would have presented it as a bleak or unsatisfying ending but it was so weird how it was played like it was supposed to be cathartic. The first part of the movie showed all these ways the institutions (school, law enforcement, legal system) had failed her friend and led to her suicide.

Then...the movie ends with her murder and it's suppose to be a big "got'em!" when the rapist gets arrested. After the first 3/4 of the movie that we watched why are we supposed to feel satisfied that any hope for justice is back in the institution's hands and it cost another girl's life to get it there? If it was just trying to subvert revenge movie tropes fine but the tone during the ending felt way off if that's the case. 

I guess it's a positive for this movie that I seem to keep thinking about it a few weeks after I watched but mostly I'm just kind of baffled by what they were going for.

• Hook 'Em 1

I tried to see this last weekend but it was only in a couple of theaters and sold out at the only time I could see it.  (Weird as hell seeing a movie sold out, but whatever).

Is it for rent anywhere on streaming platforms yet for less than $20?

Edited by Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Good movie. Count me as another that didn’t like the ending though. 

Also, the type of guys that are going to try to take advantage of a passed out chick in their apartment probably aren’t going to have an issue knocking her around after they find out she was fucking with them. 

Edited by 4th&Five

• 3 weeks later...