These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

Victoria has been teasing this forever. I guess it has arrived - the Chicago-lux - their take on the 1959 5F11 Vibrolux. 

rpy8ik2wovqe7krvgfvq.jpg

Designed exclusively for Chicago Music Exchange. This amp is not available anywhere else!

The Chicagolux is our exact recreation of the classic 1959 "5F11" tweed Vibrolux style amp. The only modern elements are a standby switch, bias-measuring resistors, and adjustment pot. Like all Victorias, only the finest period-correct components are used including USA-made Allen Bradley resistors, custom USA-made Victoria capacitors, solid 22G pushback wire, USA-manufactured Triad-designed power and output transformers, USA-made Eminence 10" speaker and grown in the USA solid pine, hand-tinted cabinetry. The Chicagolux is a virtual trip back in time to one of the greatest small wattage amps ever made.

14W

3 inputs

Bias modulation tremolo

$1,899.00 is not a bad price at all either. It just seems like a Tweed Deluxe with Tremolo. Except these videos suggest more headroom and a little bit more smoothness.

Here are some 5e3 1959 Tweed Deluxe demos (sounding badass). Victoria calls its version of this 20112. 14 watts just like the original and also the Vibrolux.

Here are some 1959 5F11 VIbrolux

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

Ok need some advice.

We’ve been writing some originals in the realm of; Son Volt/Petty/Jayhawks, etc.

Will probably start playing out in a few months, but I don’t want to drag my full cabinet around.

What combo amp would pair up with an SG best?  

So much for the Black Magick...

https://www.sundragonamp.com/

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin I, JP presents Sundragon, an amplifier that gives guitarists the opportunity to enjoy the sounds he created to shape the future of Rock and Roll.

Sundragon is a faithful recreation of the amp that Jimmy used exclusively to create the groundbreaking sounds on Led Zeppelin I and other notable recordings, such as Joe Cocker’s With a Little Help from My Friends.

A limited edition run of 50 hand built amps will be made throughout 2019, all signed by Jimmy Page.

Jimmy’s original amp started out life as a Supro Coronado. After falling out of the back of the band’s van during an early pre-Zeppelin tour, the amp was restored and modified in significant ways. Jimmy realised that the sonic palette of his amp had changed to something new and unique. After being shrouded in mystery for more than 50 years, Jimmy has decided to share this extraordinary amplifier with the world.

Working together closely with Mitch Colby and Perry Margouleff they have recreated this legendary amp for the first time.

“I had been impressed with the forensic analysis both Mitch and Perry had put into the research of the sonic reproduction of the original Supro amp to arrive at the Sundragon”, said Jimmy.

A limited edition of only 50 Sundragon amps will be hand built by Mitch Colby and signed by Jimmy Page. The amplifiers will be available throughout 2019 and a standard model will follow later in the year.

And I guess Page finally "remembered" the Zep 1 amp was a modded Coronado.

Edited by Deej

azon1ypmxan1bc6b0wgp.jpg

This seems kind of cool.  Fender has needed to take the boutique amp thing by the horns.  Almost everyone has copied their circuits and went back to hand wired point to point.  No reason why Fender shouldn't make their own amps that way (or versions of them).  

https://reverb.com/news/fender-unveils-the-chris-stapleton-62-princeton-amp-updates-duff-mckagan-signature-p-bass

22 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Why Fender would ever make an amp without reverb is completely lost on me. Fender spring reverb is one of the best sounds in the world.

While I understand the sentiment, there are reasons.  Space, for example.  I have a champ that has a killer overdrive, but no room for a reverb tank.  If I needed reverb, I could get it in a pedal. 

Speaking of headroom.

As much as I love my Marshall Class 5, it doesn't have nearly enough headroom now that I have a drummer and bass player. It's great for practicing by myself and it sounds good with the band, but it doesn't have enough balls.

I'm playing through a Fender / Shaggy Screamer now but I want a Marshally crunch for what I'm trying to do. I have a nice Peavy head here I need to try. The drummers girlfriend has a Mesa Dual Rectifier she wants to sell me so I'll try that. If those dont scratch it I will look for a Marshall 70s era Super Lead. That's the sound I'm looking for. I hate buying another amp though. I have too many as is.

11 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Speaking of headroom.

As much as I love my Marshall Class 5, it doesn't have nearly enough headroom now that I have a drummer and bass player. It's great for practicing by myself and it sounds good with the band, but it doesn't have enough balls.

I'm playing through a Fender / Shaggy Screamer now but I want a Marshally crunch for what I'm trying to do. I have a nice Peavy head here I need to try. The drummers girlfriend has a Mesa Dual Rectifier she wants to sell me so I'll try that. If those dont scratch it I will look for a Marshall 70s era Super Lead. That's the sound I'm looking for. I hate buying another amp though. I have too many as is.

200.gif

• Like 1

5F6-A (Bassman) Type Amp.  You get Fender.  You get a little Marshall.  You get enough headroom, but it's not earsplitting when it starts to break up.  And, despite the fact that I always considered myself to be a person who preferred 12" speakers, there is something absolutely magical about 2 ohms into a 4x10 of AlNiCo speakers in a live scenario.

Mine's a Victoria reloaded with 20 watt Webers.  YMMV.

Edited by dcbc

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

I went to guitar center and played a Nashville Tele through that new Supro Blues King. Pretty fun. Just like all your moms, she’s a dirty little thing.

With the master knob you don’t even really need the drive setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That thing is my wheelhouse. (The amp, and maybe your mom.)

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2019 at 5:35 PM, Deej said:

Yep. This will pretty much get you there, if you want that Fender sound, plus on board spring reverb units can be a bit fragile if you're loading in and out a lot.

34341b492d74b2a95f996b54edf0cdd4.jpg

BRING IT BACK, BOSS!!! RAWRRRRR!!!! There's one for sale at Rockin Robin for $250, and I'm still tempted. 

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Someone will be cloning the "Sundragon" within months and that person will be making a lot of money. 

I hope so. I know I can't afford one of the 50 hand-built ones. I'm sure the production models won't be cheap, either.

My guess is that Fender is the holdup here.  Why would they want competition for their own gear?

Chad with the smart thinking. Fender must have planned the jump into the pedal market about the time this was discontinued. Yet Fender’s initial “marine layer” reverb pedal didn’t even have a spring setting. But now they sell a trem/verb combo a la the strymon flint. (For $270). It has “63” “65” and “plate” settings.

Boss surely must own the COSM technology. I wonder if they will apply to the next version of their verb (waza maybe?). Just drop the fender label and make a verb with a “1963 spring tank” setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Thoughts on this?

40467149_10216913978912057_7968973928355

40444562_10216913979632075_6282445059828

40451962_10216913981152113_2172972440655

That is a great amp, and I like the blonde tolex.  But truth be told, if you aren't playing large venues, it's far, FAR more amp than most people need.

So you should totally get it.  

Buy a some icee hot and a back brace while you're at it.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

And I have a Twin, in my music room.  It rarely goes up beyond 2.  And I've played a lot of gigs since I put it there about 6 years ago.  I've not played it out in probably 10 years.  I usually play a mic'd up Princeton if I'm playing guitar.  

Sold the same blonde tolex Twin to partially mollify the gnawing guilt that came with a Supro purchase. I miss the searing power but not the lugging heft. 

I keep talking about buying one, then I don't.  Because I use the Twin mostly for cleans now.  My Champ and Princeton both break up nicely without an attenuator.

Drop a notification on eBay to watch for 4 Ohm Hot Plates and just sit on it until one comes across for >$150 (the 4 Ohm is the least popular version and has a buyer-friendly resale value). With patience you'll come across one for $125 or so out the door. That's not a lot of scratch to unleash the chained fire-breathing dragon you got sitting in the corner. 

No offense to Princeton in the slightest, but when a Twin is pushed it's an entirely different animal.

• Like 2

Thank you.

It seems like it's a great amp for the $$$.

I'm not a huge pedal guy, so I need a little overdrive in the dirty channel.

They are great amps. I have one. Our other guitarist uses it.

The day I bought it I went to the store all set to fall in love with a $2500 boogie. I came home with a $500 peavey because it was the better amp.

Goes from great clean to all the dirt you want. They should give this thing a boutique name and sell it for 2 grand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

They are great amps. I have one. Our other guitarist uses it.

The day I bought it I went to the store all set to fall in love with a $2500 boogie. I came home with a $500 peavey because it was the better amp.

Goes from great clean to all the dirt you want. They should give this thing a boutique name and sell it for 2 grand.

So I should just get one?