These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

15 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Drop a notification on eBay to watch for 4 Ohm Hot Plates and just sit on it until one comes across for >$150 (the 4 Ohm is the least popular version and has a buyer-friendly resale value). With patience you'll come across one for $125 or so out the door. That's not a lot of scratch to unleash the chained fire-breathing dragon you got sitting in the corner. 

No offense to Princeton in the slightest, but when a Twin is pushed it's an entirely different animal.

Done.  Let's see how long it takes me to find one.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:55 PM, tbone_ said:

Why Fender would ever make an amp without reverb is completely lost on me. Fender spring reverb is one of the best sounds in the world.

I used to feel that way.  Now I have four tweed type amps and only the 70s Deluxe Reverb with the onboard effect. 

That said, I have a Catalinbread Topanga that gets the job done well enough that I sold my RealTube 921 Stereo Reverb, which, as much as I like the onboard stuff, crushed any reverb I've heard.  But it was a rack unit and the power supply had a shelf life.  So I sold it along with a Princeton Reverb to by my 52 AV Tele.  Priorities.

My son wanted a small amp for his bedroom and he has a birthday coming up so I got him a Blackstar Fly 3 w extension cab. Hope he likes it.

I don't know what it is about my kid but he likes music that's before my time like Sabbath, Rainbow and the Scorpions during the Schenker and Roth era, pre-spandex. How do they even get exposed to this stuff? Its not coming from me (or my wife).

• Like 2

For me it is tube or nothing. I’m not even sure my old ears can even tell the difference anymore. Not to mention it’s a pain in the ass keeping up with the tubes. But there is just something about the glow. 

So fuck it, I picked up another one of these Lonestars. They are god ugly, but man they get nasty loud.

C5-BBBB37-F864-48-DB-ABEF-122186457-A69.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Details please?  

This is somewhere around a 63/64.  It has mismatched speakers that were used in 62, but it also has top boost and  vent covers are plastic rather than brass, which indicates a later than 62 age.  It belongs to a friend and luckily, he hasn't had time to pick it up (I dropped it at Slemmons to get some work done) yet.  On the other hand, I haven't had a chance to play through it at all yet.  So there it sits, taunting me until I have a spare few moments to light it up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Can it be a vintage vox thread?

When are you going to let that bad boy rip?

Whenever Chad Jr. and Mrs. Fuck give Sr. a minute's peace.  Seriously though, between work and shuffling Chad Jr. around to his various activities, I've been letting my own practice schedule lapse.  We are, however, playing a street dance during the summer, so I'd better get started practicing for that...

There’s a pretty thorough article from a while back comparing the reissue supers to the vintage bf. guitar player magazine I think. Consensus they were very close. I bet deluxes are similar.

Edit: found it
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.guitarplayer.com/.amp/gear/and3965-fender-super-reverb-reissue-vs-1964-fender-super-reverb

Also, I have heard really good things about the current 68 deluxe reissues

There’s a pretty thorough article from a while back comparing the reissue supers to the vintage bf. guitar player magazine I think. Consensus they were very close. I bet deluxes are similar.

Edit: found it
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.guitarplayer.com/.amp/gear/and3965-fender-super-reverb-reissue-vs-1964-fender-super-reverb

Also, I have heard really good things about the current 68 deluxe reissues

I would hope so, they list for over a grand.

I might have asked this before but how do the Fender DR reissues stack up against the vintage models? Seems like they are available used for around $750 whereas the originals have gotten pretty pricey.
Check out the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. You'll save quite a bit over the '65 RI with the option of the tuned channel in addition to the Blackface channel. It's the best deal Deluxe Reverb going. (The custom channel is a tuned up Bassman stack designed for modern pedal playing.) And it has that sexy sexy drip edge.
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2019 at 2:30 PM, ajax said:

My son wanted a small amp for his bedroom and he has a birthday coming up so I got him a Blackstar Fly 3 w extension cab. Hope he likes it.

I don't know what it is about my kid but he likes music that's before my time like Sabbath, Rainbow and the Scorpions during the Schenker and Roth era, pre-spandex. How do they even get exposed to this stuff? Its not coming from me (or my wife).

My son loved his amp. He was so stoked. He immediately plugged in and started playing Sails of Charon.

• Like 4

I have that little 5 watt Panama head, and I have fallen back in love with it. 5F1 circuit. It kept crapping out on me, but finally got around to getting a stash of the mini-rectifier tubes, and replacing the stock tube solved it. Little thing smokes.