These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

45 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I just looked at that. For the nearly same price of the Mojo cab and 4 new speakers I can buy a brand new Marshall 1960a already loaded. I see a few used ones in my area for half that on CL. I need to think about it. I'm in no rush.

And this is why I don't have a DIY Pro.  I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to do it as a learning exercise, that's fine.  But economically, Fender can make me one that's probably better quality, cheaper.  Though the new ones are running $2k.  The Steel King comes up every now again on a deal, so I'm eyeing those as well. 

@Foggy Notion, if you find either of those, the 15" version of the Pro, or a Steel King, lemme know.

6 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Yeah, for sure man! I'll keep an eye out for both of those.

I saw a Steel King a month or two ago on either San Antonio or San Marcos CL, but I'm not seeing it now. I wanna say it was around $800.

Yeah, that's crazy money for a Steel King.  I saw one (briefly) on Reverb for under $300 and while I was dicking around thinking about how I could add it into the flock like ET hiding amongst the stuffed animals, someone else bought it.

If I could find one for $300-$400, all in, that'd be good.

I just pulled the trigger on a demo model 1960AX with 25w Celestion Greenbacks that Sweetwater cut me a hell of a deal on. At he end of the day, the fact that a Marshall is gonna hold resale value over something custom won out.

bb96c3f4d32ef536e4517df3ac739f15.jpg

You have no idea how hungry I am for the other half of this stack now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I just pulled the trigger on a demo model 1960AX with 25w Celestion Greenbacks that Sweetwater cut me a hell of a deal on. At he end of the day, the fact that a Marshall is gonna hold resale value over something custom won out.

bb96c3f4d32ef536e4517df3ac739f15.jpg

You have no idea how hungry I am for the other half of this stack now.

Avatar and Mojo cabs are cool if you're building a clone head, but a real Plexi head demands a Marshall cab with basket weave grill cloth.

You're in business now, man. Be patient and see if you can pick up a used matching base cabinet on the cheap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foggy Notion said:

Avatar and Mojo cabs are cool if you're building a clone head, but a real Plexi head demands a Marshall cab with basket weave grill cloth.

You're in business now, man. Be patient and see if you can pick up a used matching base cabinet on the cheap.

Preach.

Crisis averted.

I would think a Fender Rumble 350 would be able to hang for a while. Then again, you have that look in your eye like you are going to take no quarter. RIP Rumble 350.
Ya, it does alright against the cranked Super Reverb and Dual Rectifier. I can probably let her hold off the 8x10 cab at least until our 1st stadium tour.

I bought an early model blue line SVT head and 8x10 cabinet for my bass player back in the late 90s when I was gigging regularly. There's nothing like it. It's a bass player's equivalent to a Marshall stack. But yeah, it was too much amp for a most of the smaller clubs we played.  

There were a couple times we had to lug it up a flight of stairs to play a club that was on the second floor. That sucked. We eventually got a 4x10 cab which was a lot more manageable and still sounded pretty good.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Those amp stands are nifty. Cheap and sturdy and easy to set up.

One thing I read was that the pics are wrong: you want to set them up with the long legs on the bottom. That seems to be true.

9feaec188e006937fa38c67ca11d9221.jpg

Nothing but quality.

I just got a 1x6 piece of mdf like 8 feet long. Painted it silver then bolted it into the studs with big lag bolts. Then screwed the hangers to the mdf. There’s probably a way to make it look better but it works really well and is sturdy af.

c78e37df88cfcb6bce10086d41dd5f5b.jpg

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

I'm loading these up and taking them across town later this afternoon to a studio where some good friends of mine are about to start recording their next album.

I rarely have them in the same room all at the same time so I figured I'd take a quick family portrait.

20190423-132425.jpg

Looking at that Super like Blake Lively in a pair of thousand dollar relic'd jeans....damn, just damn

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Looking at that Super like Blake Lively in a pair of thousand dollar relic'd jeans....damn, just damn

The Super Reverb is a Franken-amp. The chassis is from late 1968, but it's in a blackface cabinet from 1967 so it doesn't have the drip edge you normally would see on a '68. It has a pair of stock Oxfords and a pair of old Jensens. AUTF blackfaced it for me. It looks like shit, but sounds like heaven.

The Vox is an AC30/6 Top Boost reissue from 1997. The Marshall is a Bluesbreaker reissue, also from 1997. Both amps have a pair of stock Celestion greenbacks. These were my gigging amps I used when I was playing regularly in the late 90s and early 2000s.

The Deluxe Reverb is a real '68 I bought a couple years ago. It wasn't working when I got it. AUTF took care of it and brought it back to life.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I fucking hate it when some asshole is taking up the overhead bin with his Plexi.

That's the only cargo that would not make me rage at annoying carry-on-everything people. "Everyone stand back and shut the fuck up! Give the man some space."

• Like 2