These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

On 2/27/2019 at 5:30 PM, ajax said:

My son wanted a small amp for his bedroom and he has a birthday coming up so I got him a Blackstar Fly 3 w extension cab. Hope he likes it.

I don't know what it is about my kid but he likes music that's before my time like Sabbath, Rainbow and the Scorpions during the Schenker and Roth era, pre-spandex. How do they even get exposed to this stuff? Its not coming from me (or my wife).

Smart phones and youtube, Spotify, and Shazam.  Just took a road trip with the 17 year old and her(no pix) playlist stunned me.  I had no idea she knew all that music from decades before she was born..

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

On 3/7/2019 at 3:35 PM, ajax said:

My son loved his amp. He was so stoked. He immediately plugged in and started playing Sails of Charon.

That song is badass. It was apparently a big influence on Dave Mustaine (which makes sense - Sails of Charon sounds like it could be a track on Rust in Peace).  Here’s an hilarious article on Mustaine’s Scorps fascination, complete with a dressing-down of his stunted perspective on sexuality:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/05/30/dave-mustaine-says-these-are-the-six-best-scorpions-songs/

I'll tell you what not to buy.  I have a Boss Harmonizer but found out what I really wanted was either that Boss Octave or a Pog....probably a Micro Pog.  The Harmonizer just has too many choices.  Plus, it HATES when you bend strings.  Completely different style of playing and is generally pretty useless when you strum.  It is fun to mess around with but I've never been able to use the Harmonizer outside of the mod effect on it.   I think the octave pedals handle bends a little better.   

One cool thing with either the Harmonizer or an Octave pedal is you can get some cool organ tones when you mix in some delay.   A buddy has some cheap Mooer or Donner Octave pedal they don't make anymore and when he dials in the right delay, it sounds as good as those dedicated organ pedals.  

I messed with an MXR blue box, but it is too limited as an octave pedal.  It all sounds like you are playing Super Mario.  

Isbell uses a POG on "Flying Over Water".  That's the sound I want.  

I think Im between the Boss Octavizor and the Electro Harmonics Pitchfork. What intrigues me about the Pitchfork is that I can set it so it's only active while my foot is on the button. I only have a need for it in a couple of brief places, so that seems easier than turning it on then off. The Boss looks like a lot of options too, I only need this for one job.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought it would never happen, but I found a 1964 Oxford 12K5-6 speaker for my 64 DR. I've been on the verge of buying an Eminence Allesandro GA-SC64 for the past couple months, but kept holding out, hoping for a period correct 12K5-6. This one popped up on Ebay last week on a 7 day auction. I messaged the seller and agreed on a Buy It Now price and bought it. 15th week of 1964 which is perfect for an amp made in May of 64. This one has been reconed which is fine with me. I'll be making an appointment soon with the restoration dude to have the baffle built and grill cloth installed. 

20190404-123133.jpg

20190410-200920.jpg

20190403-151334.jpg

The seller is a woman whose husband built effects pedals and owned a vintage music store. He passed away about 10 years ago, and she's starting to sell all his music stuff she's had in storage. When she shipped the speaker, she packed it with a bunch of pages from a 1997 Vintage Guitar magazine. I'll post a couple pics of some of the ads in the guitar thread just to remind y'all how much the prices have gone up on vintage guitars over the past 22 years.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

What else does she have? Asking for a friend.

I'm not sure she even knows what all she has. She said she has a lot and is slowly going through it all, trying to figure out what she has. She's mostly been listing vintage speakers of all types in various condition. She's selling them pretty cheap too because she doesn't know how to test them, so they are all being sold untested, as is. I asked her to keep an eye out for a blackface DR faceplate cuz the guy in Thailand who makes the repros stopped responding to my emails. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Mea culpa, GC had these on sale the other day for $17 and I forgot to post here. I ordered four, will report back.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Deluxe-Amp-Stand.gc

I own one they are awesome. not sure its the same brand but same stand.  you'll love it, im 6'2 and when I stand and play adjusting the knobs is like a half stack height for me which is perfect

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Just buy a half stack. Or even better a full stack and you don’t have to lean over at all.

The problem with these is the angle. You can’t set your beer on the top of the amp.

I don't put anything on my half stack in fear of spilling it on the head

I'm not sure she even knows what all she has. She said she has a lot and is slowly going through it all, trying to figure out what she has. She's mostly been listing vintage speakers of all types in various condition. She's selling them pretty cheap too because she doesn't know how to test them, so they are all being sold untested, as is. I asked her to keep an eye out for a blackface DR faceplate cuz the guy in Thailand who makes the repros stopped responding to my emails. 
I think its ki da co that your 64 has a factory installed silver faceplate FWIW.

27 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
15 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Read more  

I think its ki da co that your 64 has a factory installed silver faceplate FWIW.

I'd probably be more ok with it if I could confirm somehow that it was factory installed. The previous owner told me that it came back from Fender with the silver faceplate, but that was the story told to him by the friend that he got the amp from. I haven't been able to find any reference that Fender ever did this to any other amps that came in for service so I have my doubts. I think it's more likely that someone swapped faceplates in order to pass off a working silverface as an older blackface amp. 

I haven't tried to contact Fender to ask them about it. I'm gonna do that and see what they say.

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Mea culpa, GC had these on sale the other day for $17 and I forgot to post here. I ordered four, will report back.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Deluxe-Amp-Stand.gc

I have one as well.  Blues Jr sits on the top and Class 5 leans underneath it.  I need to pick up two more.  Thanks for the info.  

Those have yet to go on clearance at Guitar Center, even though they are no longer being produced as far as I know. I've looked into converting a generic fridge to something similar and saving some coin. But the music room needs a beverage solution one way or another.

Edited by BoomMF

That's cause I'm trying to dial in a particular sound hula. I almost have it with my Les Paul through that pedalboard into the Super Reverb. I'm going back to square 1 with the Marshall, but I think it will take me where I'm trying to get; and I think I will need fewer pedals to get there so maybe I coulda saved some of that money.