Texas Tech @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Mike Hardge called this. Said we would win 2/3 vs osu, get swept by tech, and sweep tcu

so i guess we are sweeping tcu next weekend

Tech swept us? I missed that I guess.

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Pierce is going to have to find a Third Baseman because Cam Williams ain't it. Going to have to figure something out because right now they don't have an option

Yeah he's pretty rough over there. I like his bat, but he's not a 3B.

23 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Don't give a fuck if it was outside. Down 0-2 with bases loaded and 2 outs in the most pivotal game of the season. If it's anywhere close you gotta fight it off.

Yep. Too fucking close to take even in a normal AB, but in that situation? Yeah, you gotta protect the plate & don't leave it up to blue.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Stehly? Move Cam to left? 

Nothing you can do, Stehly has a better glove but not so much that you are willing to trade the power when both him and Stehly strike out at similar rates. I can't remember if Ivan played 3B at Odessa but even if he did you aren't going to throw a guy at 3B with 7 games left in conference play when he has hardly played the field at all this year.

They are pretty much fucked at 3B the rest of they year. If I was managing the team I would be bringing in Stehly as a defensive replacement in the 7th or 8th of any game we are leading the rest of the way.

If Cam isn't at best a DH for this team next year that will be no bueno. When you are fielding .893 at your position in college while being able to work with Troy Tulowitzki every day, that says all you need to know about your ability to play that position.

Edited by chase25

5 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Could his ineptitude in the OF be more detrimental than Kennedy/Porter's "bat?"

Yes. Cams not horrible at 3rd, he’s just the least impressive of a solid infield core. Although, Zubia has had some head scratching plays but nothing like his previous seasons. 

11 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Yes. Cams not horrible at 3rd, he’s just the least impressive of a solid infield core. Although, Zubia has had some head scratching plays but nothing like his previous seasons. 

I know. No one's changing positions this far into the season.

This series loss will help us in the long run and be a wake up call in the meantime. Texas played good baseball at okie st and probably came into this series a little to cocky against a well coached ball club that just lost a home series to Baylor. Combo that with Ty having an unusual bad outing and tech playing perfect clutch defense, and well it is was it is. Learn from it, grow from it and be ready to play a big series against tcu. 

What’s the thought on Pierce’s management in this stretch, especially this game?

I know this stuff tends to be hindsight 20/20, but Stevens gave you 5.1 IP in a scoreless game and you sit through a walk, 2HBP, a WP, 2 1B, and 2 2B before you pull him in the next inning? Feels like you’ve gotta trust Witt or Quintanilla to get you 2 outs before the game gets blown out. 2-3 runs instead of 5 and its a different story.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

What’s the thought on Pierce’s management in this stretch, especially this game?

I know this stuff tends to be hindsight 20/20, but Stevens gave you 5.1 IP in a scoreless game and you sit through a walk, 2HBP, a WP, 2 1B, and 2 2B before you pull him in the next inning? Feels like you’ve gotta trust Witt or Quintanilla to get you 2 outs before the game gets blown out. 2-3 runs instead of 5 and its a different story.

Game 1 I thought he did all he could do, Madden didn't have his best stuff and you got through the game with Shifflet and Cobb all while still having a chance to win.

Then game 2 started, Antico leads off with a single (great start) and now we have our best hitter in Daly coming up and you....sacrifice bunt in the 1st? The suspension of the game saved Tech, gave their bullpen a day off. Stevens got into a similar jam against Okie State last week and got out of it, just a gut feeling you go with as a manager, sometimes you're right and sometimes you're wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will say the hook on Kolby should be quicker than last week and if he struggles today you have to seriously think about moving Hansen to Sunday.

As I type Tech has back to back singles to start the game...

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

I will say the hook on Kolby should be quicker than last week and if he struggles today you have to seriously think about moving Hansen to Sunday.

Hansen is about to be moved this this Sunday

6 minutes ago, chase25 said:

How’s 4 batters sound. What an abortion of a series.