Your 2021 and now 2022 directors cup champions.

SDG

20 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Womens track and field did their part. Winning a baseball title is asking for a lot, but it sure would be sweet.

I'll be honest. I think it would be fun to have a Director's Cup three peat. But it pales in comparison to a baseball national championship. Especially with this team, that didn't seem to have the pieces for it (honestly, still doesn't seem to have the pieces, but someone forgot to tell them that). 

When the baseball team could come in fifth at the CWS that would be one thing, but when Stanford came in 3rd in men's T&F, that changed the math in the wrong direction. 

I'm not bothered by a 2nd place finish. Let's come back and take it next year, if that ends up being the case. It's a sterling showing by the athletic department as a whole. Again. And with beach volleyball coming online, that has the potential to at least let one of the sports have an off year and still maximize points somewhat. I don't think it will happen next year because the pieces won't be in place, but I bet Texas is competing for national championships in beach volleyball very soon. 

Stanford's big advantage, even with the new scoring system, is that with 31 programs overall, they get to use points from the best program results among the 11 sports teams they field above 20. Texas only gets to use the 20 programs they actually field, because there aren't any extras. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I'll be honest. I think it would be fun to have a Director's Cup three peat. But it pales in comparison to a baseball national championship. Especially with this team, that didn't seem to have the pieces for it (honestly, still doesn't seem to have the pieces, but someone forgot to tell them that). 

When the baseball team could come in fifth at the CWS that would be one thing, but when Stanford came in 3rd in men's T&F, that changed the math in the wrong direction. 

I'm not bothered by a 2nd place finish. Let's come back and take it next year, if that ends up being the case. It's a sterling showing by the athletic department as a whole. Again. And with beach volleyball coming online, that has the potential to at least let one of the sports have an off year and still maximize points somewhat. I don't think it will happen next year because the pieces won't be in place, but I bet Texas is competing for national championships in beach volleyball very soon. 

Stanford's big advantage, even with the new scoring system, is that with 31 programs overall, they get to use points from the best program results among the 11 sports teams they field above 20. Texas only gets to use the 20 programs they actually field, because there aren't any extras. 

Let’s win it all  

• Hook 'Em 1

While a 3 peat would have been awesome, here is Texas' finishes since CDC was hired (2018-2019 was his first full athletic season) and the same time period before he was hired

2018-2019: 4th
2019-2020: n/a (COVID)
2020-2021: 1st
2021-2022: 1st
2022-2023: 2nd 

2017-2018: 6th
2016-2017: 8th
2015-2016: 9th
2014-2015: 9th
2013-2014: 6th

Average finish under CDC in 4 season (not counting COVID): 2
Average finish in the 5 seasons before CDC: 7.6

5 hours ago, Mittens said:

Texas has 2nd by a wide margin.

Scoring after T&F was done, with only Baseball to go:

1339      Stanford
1306.5   Texas
1170.75  tOSU
1072.5   UGA
1029.25 USC

Sounds like the Texas claim was premature.  Stanford did slightly better in men's & women's golf, women's tennis, men's track, softball and rowing, which were since May 25.  Texas did slightly better in men's tennis and a good bit better in women's track.

• 3 months later...
On 6/7/2022 at 3:54 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

What's the deal with the soccer coach? 

On 6/7/2022 at 4:47 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

This is the last year on her contract. She will need Big12 title + deep tournament run to get it extended again 

On 6/7/2022 at 4:49 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

I know jack shit about soccer but when you look at the results in the Olympic sports she's falling way behind everyone else. 

I only keep up with soccer thread during the season but doesn't she suck? 

Soccer is looking like the next hire. 

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Soccer is looking like the next hire. 

I know I've said this somewhere before, but Kelly is Plonsky's trophy inside of the AD. She clings to her role. It's basically the last vestige of territory outside of compliance that Plonsky can claim and there is going to be some form of hell to pay if they cut Kelly loose. It will come down to whether the juice is worth the squeeze for CDC. If there's not a lot else going on, maybe it will be worth it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know I've said this somewhere before, but Kelly is Plonsky's trophy inside of the AD. She clings to her role. It's basically the last vestige of territory outside of compliance that Plonsky can claim and there is going to be some form of hell to pay if they cut Kelly loose. It will come down to whether the juice is worth the squeeze for CDC. If there's not a lot else going on, maybe it will be worth it.

Maybe but feels pretty likely that she's going to be fired. After winning B2B Big 12 championships, she didn't even get an extension. I was worried after last year that CDC may have no choice but to extend her simply for winning a bad Big 12 conference. 

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe but feels pretty likely that she's going to be fired. After winning B2B Big 12 championships, she didn't even get an extension. I was worried after last year that CDC may have no choice but to extend her simply for winning a bad Big 12 conference. 

Feels a bit like Connie Clark and Karen Aston - let Kelly ride out the contract through this season and then not renew it.  That seems to be CDC's MO with these Plonsky hires.  In both those cases, the details were contracts were not renewed.  CDC was very graceful in making it look like Connie's decision to retire, but in both cases, the official line was "contract not renewed/extended." 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Feels a bit like Connie Clark and Karen Aston - let Kelly ride out the contract through this season and then not renew it.  

I think she's almost certainly gone. If Texas was going to extend Kelly, they would have done it after she won B2B Big 12 championships. 

CDC has said several times that he wants "top 10 programs" and Kelly has never done that here with plenty of time. Also, I believe the only other coach at Texas that hasn't produced a top 10 finish is Sark and he's currently ranked #3 this year. She sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to other coaches producing results at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

All of the individual sports have their own threads, so is this the best place to have a running update of all of the rankings/standings?  I was hoping we could go 19 for 19 or whatever in Big 12 championships on our way out.

Can some of you guys who follow all of this help me out?  Bold means the season is completed.

Fall

Women's Soccer - Big 12 Champion - Sweet 16

Football - ranked #7 - Big 12 championship game Dec 2

Volleyball - ranked #4 - Big 12 Champion

Winter

Men's S&D - ranked #13 - Big 12 Championship Feb 27-Mar 2

Women's S&D - ranked #2 - Big 12 Championship Feb 27-Mar 2

Men's Basketball - ranked #15

Women's Basketball - ranked #12

Men's Indoor T&F

Women's Indoor T&F

Spring

Baseball

Softball

Men's Outdoor T&F

Women's Outdoor T&F

Men's Golf - ranked #14

Women's Golf - ranked #5

Men's Tennis

Women's Tennis

Women's Rowing

Beach Volleyball

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They should also add a lot more points this year in men's cross country. Finished 7th this year. 

Yep, forgot about them.

Football should put up some good points (60+ if we finish in the top 10). Volleyball is probably good for 64 minimum as a Sweet 16 team and potentially more depending on where we get sent 

On 11/25/2023 at 9:25 AM, Yesh said:

All of the individual sports have their own threads, so is this the best place to have a running update of all of the rankings/standings?  I was hoping we could go 19 for 19 or whatever in Big 12 championships on our way out.

I think we all know who's going to win the B12 championship in softball but overall we stand to take a lot the hardware with us.  Should be a fun full season.  Then we get to say,

"Goodbye, and good luck."

It should be noted, for the most part, the 4 CFP teams finish the season ranked 1-4, barring something weird like FSU beating UGA.  Texas will probably finish no worse than 5th in the final USA Today Coaches Poll. 

So 75-100 points there - 5th place is 75, 4th place is 80, 3rd place is 85, 2nd place is 90 and national champions get 100. 

64 points from soccer and 64 points, so far, from volleyball. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just stumbled across the thread this morning and started looking at the history of the competition. I remember learning about the Directors' Cup way back when Chris Sims and our best were on the cover of SI head to head with all the Stanford Olympians - looked like an X-Men comic book cover.

Anyway, I'm noticing we haven't had much in-conference competition (Nebraska never finished top-10 after we joined the B12, and TAMU didn't show up in the top-10 until moving to the SEC.) It will be interesting and fun to have in-conference competition next year from Florida, who've had more top-10 showings than us. The SEC also has a ton of teams that have at least shown up in the top-10 once or twice: LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee. I'm curious to see how the SEC competition will affect our Cup standings.

Anybody know how our sports programs line up with the SEC schools' and their strengths? I have no clue about the SEC Olymic sports.

9 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Anybody know how our sports programs line up with the SEC schools' and their strengths?

image.png.cb9fd8ee613bdf2f5f6730486f2410ab.png

Last year's final numbers - 6 in the Top 15, 8 in the Top 25, 11 in the Top 40...with UT and OU, that's 10 in the Top 25
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/sidearm.nextgen.sites/nacda.com/documents/2023/6/27/Final22.23Standings.pdf

15 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Anybody know how our sports programs line up with the SEC schools' and their strengths? I have no clue about the SEC Olymic sports.

We are moving into a stacked softball conference - OU, UF, LSU, Georgia, Arky, Tenn. Gonna be tough. Probably going from top 3 Big 12 to top 5 SEC

WBB is going to get more difficult - SC and LSU, Tenn to an extent. Going from top 2 in the Big 12 to top 3-4 in the SEC

Baseball is going to hit a meat grinder - LSU, Vandy, UF, Ole Miss, Arky, aggy, Tennessee. That one scares me a little. 

Volleyball will finally have some legit competition - Tennessee, UF, Kentucky. Say goodbye to 18-0 or 17-1 conference seasons, but Texas will still be a top 3 SEC team every year

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Baseball is going to hit a meat grinder - LSU, Vandy, UF, Ole Miss, Arky, aggy, Tennessee. That one scares me a little. 

No doubt baseball will be much harder, but hopefully, it will just make the team better when they get to the postseason. You can't argue with our results there.

Hopefully the increased difficulty in Baseball will be balanced by an easier Basketball lineup. We'll have a new KU at the top of the heap, but the field will be weaker overall.

18 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

No doubt baseball will be much harder, but hopefully, it will just make the team better when they get to the postseason. You can't argue with our results there.

Hopefully the increased difficulty in Baseball will be balanced by an easier Basketball lineup. We'll have a new KU at the top of the heap, but the field will be weaker overall.

Yes, MBB gets a breather by far. No more Baylor, KU, KSU, UH, ISU. 

Edited by Js1

21 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

I don't think it makes it harder either when it really matters. 

Look at how many regional and super hosts the SEC always gets in baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to see why we'd finish worse than 4th.  Any CFP team should finish in the top 4.  I feel like they'll just give the winner #1, runner up #2 and Texas/Bama finish 3 and 4. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Seems like we are well-positioned. 

Most of our best sports are in the Spring. 

Yep. In good shape with WBB, tennis, softball, baseball, S&D, and track in the spring. 

It's tough, bc with Stanford, we pretty much will cancel each other out (typically) in rowing, softball, WBB, tennis, WS&D nad baseball.   Gonna come down to outdoing them in T&F/men's S&D. We need them to have a down year in softball, tennis, baseball. 

And UNC, we usually cancel each other out in tennis.  They're going to kill us in MBB points, but we should do a lot better than them in most other springs sports. 

The fall sports are really what have been holding us back. 

1) Football (playoffs this year)

2) Soccer (made Sweet 16 this year)

3) Men's and women's cross country. Texas tends to prioritize sprinters over distance runners so this is a sport we struggle in. However, Texas had a really good cross country season on the men's side this year. 

• 4 weeks later...

Fall

Football - Big 12 Champion - Ranked #3

Volleyball - Big 12 Champion - National Champion

Winter

Men's S&D - ranked #9 - Big 12 Championship Feb 27-Mar 2

Men's Basketball - Rodney Terry sucks

Women's Basketball - ranked #5

Men's Indoor T&F - ranked #4 - Big 12 Championship Feb 23-24

Women's Indoor T&F - ranked #4 - Big 12 Championship Feb 23-24

Spring

Baseball - ranked #16

Softball - ranked #8

Men's Golf - ranked #16

Women's Golf - ranked #8

Men's Tennis - ranked #3

Women's Tennis - ranked #10

Men's Outdoor T&F

Women's Outdoor T&F

Women's Rowing

Beach Volleyball

3 hours ago, Yesh said:

Fall

Football - Big 12 Champion - Ranked #3

Volleyball - Big 12 Champion - National Champion

Winter

Men's S&D - ranked #9 - Big 12 Championship Feb 27-Mar 2

Men's Basketball - Rodney Terry sucks

Women's Basketball - ranked #5

Men's Indoor T&F - ranked #4 - Big 12 Championship Feb 23-24

Women's Indoor T&F - ranked #4 - Big 12 Championship Feb 23-24

Spring

Baseball - ranked #16

Softball - ranked #8

Men's Golf - ranked #16

Women's Golf - ranked #8

Men's Tennis - ranked #3

Women's Tennis - ranked #10

Men's Outdoor T&F

Women's Outdoor T&F

Women's Rowing

Beach Volleyball

Rodney Terry isn't the answer, but if Abmas and Disu get hot together in the tournament, they're a 2nd weekend team and Texas would get solid points off of that. 

Texas baseball is underranked at 16. I think I saw them at 8 in another poll. If the freshmen live up to the hype and the injured guys come back strong on the mound, Texas will go to Omaha.

I assume the T&F teams will be top 10 at least in the outdoors and that the Rowing team will be top 4. Obviously Beach Volleyball needs more time and they will not be contributing this cycle. 

I feel like it sounds entitled to state that I think Texas has more national titles in them this cycle, but it really does feel that way with all of these highly ranked teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I feel like it sounds entitled to state that I think Texas has more national titles in them this cycle, but it really does feel that way with all of these highly ranked teams. 

Men's tennis is a legit title contender
Softball looks like a legit title contender
T&F look like title contenders
Women's S&D looks like title contenders
WBB, while likely not a contender, looks like an Elite 8 / Final Four team 
Rowing is always a contender

Also never want to count out Eddie Reese

The moral of the story is deep runs for bracket sports (WBB, men/women tennis, softball, baseball) and high finishes for the non-bracket sports (rowing, S&D, T&F).  And if MBB can win 1 (or 2) NCAAT games.  And try to go deeper than Stanford in most of the sports, haha. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Texas should score more points than Stanford and Arky for MBB as neither of them are going to even make the tournament.  Texas will score more than arky for WBB; probably will be close to a push for WBB with Stanford. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1