Your 2021 and now 2022 directors cup champions.

SDG

30 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know jack shit about soccer but when you look at the results in the Olympic sports she's falling way behind everyone else. 

She can recruit. She can’t coach at all. Wasting some real talent  

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Who would Texas hire if they got rid of her? 

Based on who Del Conte as hired in the other Olympic sports I would trust any coach he hires. 

The TCU coach, Eric Bell, hopefully. It’s his if he wants it 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And the fact that he’s a guy is working against him, after we have replaced previous plonsky hires with men in softball, basketball, and track.  And volleyball having a male coach as well. 

It’s not Plonsky’s damn call anymore.  Even her muff bud Jody told CDC to go get Vic. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s not Plonsky’s damn call anymore.  Even her muff bud Jody told CDC to go get Vic. 

She's definitely been demoted off the map. 

I don't even see her in pictures anymore with the Olympic sports. My niece told me that she's never had any interaction with Plonsky. They have some other lady that's in charge with Del Conte. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't even see her in pictures anymore with the Olympic sports. My niece told me that she's never had any interaction with Plonsky. They have some other lady that's in charge with Del Conte. 

This development makes me very gruntled.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is barely a job 😂

The 2021-22 year is her 34th at The University of Texas. She is executive senior associate athletics director/chief of staff and is UT’s senior woman administrator for Big 12 Conference and NCAA governance.

She supervises staff leaders in student services: academics/learning, 4EVERTEXAS (career and job preparation/leadership and personal development), compliance/risk management and sports medicine/health and wellness/strength performance. The latter area also includes nutrition, behavioral health and applied sports science.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Is Plonsky even active anymore at Texas?

My niece says the person that shows up to all their rowing events and handles everything is Baumgartner (?). Know nothing about her but saw that Texas recently hired her from Rutgers. 

Baumgartner joined Texas Athletics in August 2021 as Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director for Sports Administration. 

In her role, Baumgartner provides supervision of head coaches, directors of operations and program administrators for all 20 sports. She is the liaison to all areas within the athletics department that interact and support sports programs and is responsible for monitoring student-athlete recruitment, experience, academic progress and welfare. She also is responsible for assisting each sports program with development and monitoring of budgets and approval of expenses.  

In addition, she oversees equipment operations and serves as liaison to Nike. She is a member of the Vice President/Athletics Director's senior management team and assists with the department-wide strategic planning efforts. 

56 minutes ago, Js1 said:

45 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This development makes me very gruntled.

Plonsky still has plenty of political clout within the AD and she’s still involved on a daily basis. I don’t want to go into details for obvious reasons but I can tell you these things with certainty. And yes, the optics do matter and not just as far as she is concerned. Everyone there really, really wants Kelly to work out, even though it’s obvious to all of us that that is simply fantasy at this stage. 

On 6/7/2022 at 6:40 PM, closetojumping said:

Plonsky still has plenty of political clout within the AD and she’s still involved on a daily basis. I don’t want to go into details for obvious reasons but I can tell you these things with certainty. And yes, the optics do matter and not just as far as she is concerned. Everyone there really, really wants Kelly to work out, even though it’s obvious to all of us that that is simply fantasy at this stage. 

This, unfortunately. Plonsky’s influence will go away the day she retires. And that can’t happen soon enough.

The only dead weight remaining in the Olympic sports is the soccer coach. 

This is the last year of her contract correct? There's no way Del Conte can see the success of all these other sports and believe soccer is producing good enough results. If this is the last year of her contract they need to do something serious next year to justify an extension. 

Anything other than a top 4 or 8 finish should be time for a change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• SDG changed the title to Your 2021 and now 2022 directors cup champions.
22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Olympic is the nice way of saying money losers.

Which programs actually make money at Texas besides football? I'm guessing men's hoops probably does. The only other two that might would be women's hoops and baseball. Would those be the only four "non-Olympic" sports?

I'm honestly curious because I bet people might draw the cutoff line differently. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Which programs actually make money at Texas besides football? I'm guessing men's hoops probably does. The only other two that might would be women's hoops and baseball. Would those be the only four "non-Olympic" sports?

I'm honestly curious because I bet people might draw the cutoff line differently. 

WBB does not typically turn a profit at Texas.  Football, MBB and Baseball are the 3 that come out ahead. 

And yes, "non-revenue" is the term for all the other sports.  You can call them Olympic sports if you really want, but it's a bit of a stretch to call soccer, golf, WBB and tennis "Olympic sports" since people go pro in them year-round and softball has only been in 5 Olympics ever, with a 12 year gap from 2008 to 2020 and will not be in Paris in 2024. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The reason I don't like using the "non-revenue" term is because the revenue sports change. Hasn't softball been a revenue sport recently? 

I'd honestly be shocked if softball made money recently.  I'm welcome to see evidence otherwise.  

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Okay I should say I'd be shocked if *Texas* softball was a money maker.  If it is, probably just barely. I'd hope with Mike at the helm at McCombs and Vic's back to back Elite 8 appearances, WBB ticket demand should be high for Moody and they'll be in the black soon enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas baseball doesn’t make money every year, does it?  My understanding is that they and womens basketball usually operate more or less around break even most years, sometimes making money and sometimes losing money, but nothing significant either way. That could be dated information. 
Everything @closetojumpingsaid is accurate as it pertains to the UT approach to sports. 
If the SEC money rolls in the way we anticipate I see no reason not to add mens Soccer and Lacrosse and Womens gymnastics, lacrosse and pole dancing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How much do those other sports cost to fund on a yearly basis? Does anybody have a general estimate of what it costs to fund a sport such as men's soccer?

I agree and simply from a financial standpoint. Funding those sports is nothing for the Texas athletic budget considering the SEC money that's about to be coming in. 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

How much do those other sports cost to fund on a yearly basis? Does anybody have a general estimate of what it costs to fund a sport such as men's soccer?

I agree and simply from a financial standpoint. Funding those sports is nothing for the Texas athletic budget considering the SEC money that's about to be coming in. 

Men's soccer is expensive. It's a big roster and men's soccer coaches (at least - the ones worth a shit) command decent salaries. 

So, it’s really hard to find specific numbers on baseball. I’m sure we lost lots of money during the pandemic when we didn’t have an actual baseball season but most of the costs would have been absorbed. I won’t count that. 
As recently as 2016 the baseball program lost something like $98,000. I know we made money in 2019 on baseball. I would assume we probably did this year as well. 
Interestingly enough (to me at least) it costs a shitload to run a baseball team.  Like costs of 5.5 or 6 million at UT. I know my buddy at GA State has a budget much much smaller than that (6 figures) so other than salaries I’d love to see what else we spend money on that a program like his doesn’t. 
Womens basketball in some places makes money. Here in the past it has even been a money maker. But it brought in less than 3 million and lost almost 2 million the year I saw figures for everything on. I don’t know if that’s the bottom falling out of interest in the late 2010’s or not- would love to see figures from the most recent year with a good squad. 
All the other sports (didn’t check volleyball) make way less than they spend. At least as of the last pre pandemic year. Won’t see what this academic year did (first mostly post pandemic) until January of 23 I believe. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Men's soccer is expensive. It's a big roster and men's soccer coaches (at least - the ones worth a shit) command decent salaries. 

Men's soccer is 9.9 scholarships. 27 max can travel.
Of the nonrev sports, Hockey, Baseball, Track & Field/Cross Country, Lacrosse all have more scholarship athletes.  Wrestling and Swimming & Diving also have 9.9.
Haven't seen anything that shows a Men's Soccer HC being paid north of $200K, but admittedly that info isn't as available as FB/BB HC salary.

18 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The reason I don't like using the "non-revenue" term is because the revenue sports change. Hasn't softball been a revenue sport recently? 

In the context of NCAA athletics, it means all sports other than football and men's basketball. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.  Those sports don't even operate in the black at the majority of NCAA institutions.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, it’s really hard to find specific numbers on baseball. I’m sure we lost lots of money during the pandemic when we didn’t have an actual baseball season but most of the costs would have been absorbed. I won’t count that. 
As recently as 2016 the baseball program lost something like $98,000. I know we made money in 2019 on baseball. I would assume we probably did this year as well. 
Interestingly enough (to me at least) it costs a shitload to run a baseball team.  Like costs of 5.5 or 6 million at UT. I know my buddy at GA State has a budget much much smaller than that (6 figures) so other than salaries I’d love to see what else we spend money on that a program like his doesn’t. 
Womens basketball in some places makes money. Here in the past it has even been a money maker. But it brought in less than 3 million and lost almost 2 million the year I saw figures for everything on. I don’t know if that’s the bottom falling out of interest in the late 2010’s or not- would love to see figures from the most recent year with a good squad. 
All the other sports (didn’t check volleyball) make way less than they spend. At least as of the last pre pandemic year. Won’t see what this academic year did (first mostly post pandemic) until January of 23 I believe. 

Per the AAS for revenue in the top 4 sports (pre-COVID and the COVID-year)

MBB 2018-2019: $16.7m in revenue (13.5m for 2019-2020 bc of COVID)
WBB: $2.5m ($2.1m COVID)
Baseball: $6.1m ($2.9m COVID) - that was a big deal because baseball ticket revenue went from $1.5m to $451k bc of the cancelled season
Softball: $1.3m ($935k COVID)

Softball ($2-2.5m) and WBB ($3m or so) take a loss based on what they spend.  Baseball ($4m or so) and MBB ($11-13m) come out ahead.  I think we are one of the handful of D1 baseball programs who spend that much but our revenue in baseball justifies it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading the aggy track and field thread and they actually have some rational posters over there. 

Spoiler

This is infuriating if true. If he's not on board he needs to be let go and get someone who will. We've pumped millions into a program that's not even elite anymore…on top of that we finished 25th in Directors cup…Aggie sports are not in good shape over all…

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Not looking good for the home team this time around:

Think there's probably going to be some shifts after Outdoor Track and Field. 

His projections (based on the polls) are probably overvaluing where Stanford will actually finish at the NCAA championships. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The polls are probably undervaluing Texas men's outdoor track and field too. Based on his projections (the polls), Texas is expected to finish 12th.

They finished T-6th at the Indoor Championships. 

Then you have women's track and field, which can only get fewer projected points.

On the other hand, baseball has a ton of room to increase over their projected points since they're not even a regional host, whereas Stanford is projected to be a super regional host. I'd rather be in Stanford's shoes in that regard, but there is a lot of room to improve on the projected standings. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Then you have women's track and field, which can only get fewer projected points.

On the other hand, baseball has a ton of room to increase over their projected points since they're not even a regional host, whereas Stanford is projected to be a super regional host. I'd rather be in Stanford's shoes in that regard, but there is a lot of room to improve on the projected standings. 

If the women's team doesn't win it all I might reach the conclusion they're cursed. 

It's on our home track, Texas should be the favorite based purely on the roster, and everyone is healthy to date. But as we saw in the Indoor Track and Field Championships it just takes 1 sprinter injury to skew the results. 

• 2 weeks later...

Stanford went on a run at the end of the year like we did last season. Softball, rowing, and men's t/f finished better than their seeding/projection. 

It's also crazy the final team scores in men's track and field. Stanford 3rd with 44 points, LSU 43 points, ASU 41 points, and Tech 34.5 points (10 points lost from DQ). One event where Stanford finishes 3rd instead of 1st likely drops them to 6th in the team standings and potentially 7th if Tech doesn't get DQ'ed. I wonder what that swing would have done in the final standings point-wise?