Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

I think the shorter 3 point line is a massive detriment to U.S. players. It's too damn tempting for a 34% low volume shooter to be standing there open, and think, "Gee, this should be an easy shot."

Plus, it's a distance that they never, ever practice or shoot in today's NBA for any reason.

None of that serves as an excuse for settling.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

this has been so frustrating to watch, because it's been evident this entire time that all Team USA needs to do is just play smarter, and we'll win. Spain is out here playing their dream game and yet we've always been within a couple of buckets of them, despite how terrible we've been. it's literally just "play smart and win, ain't and potentially lose."

Just now, shadow_operative said:

we're so fundamentally fucked that even when the ball handler does attack the lane his four teammates just stand still on the perimeter.

That's the game that we're used to now isn't it? It's the Stephification of the Association. I'm not complaining about it but it doesn't serve USA Basketball particularly well when other skilled opponents seem like they can read each others' minds like they're the Harlem Globetrotters. 

Hit some shots in the second half and we should survive. 

3 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

That's the game that we're used to now isn't it? It's the Stephification of the Association. I'm not complaining about it but it doesn't serve USA Basketball particularly well when other skilled opponents seem like they can read each others' minds like they're the Harlem Globetrotters. 

Hit some shots in the second half and we should survive. 

Sadly, Steph's 3's get all the highlights and copycat treatment, not the fact that he moves without the ball more than anyone in the league.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3

We would be so fucked without him. What a commitment to country. 

I'm not saying he's LeBron or MJ. But he arguably has more to lose by participating in this competition than literally any other athlete. And without him we might be cooked right now. 

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Previous history?

Popovich was an assistant coach of that ill fated 2004 Olympic team. To me that entire coaching staff is radioactive for the purposes of Team USA. I would have expected a lot better coaching from Popovich after being absolutely humiliated during that Olympics (3 losses). But he continues to prove me wrong. Hell he didn't even coach the squad that got Team USA qualified for the FIBA World Cup that he ended up coaching to a whopping 7th place finish. He's been nothing short of a disappointment. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Had to throw the jersey on. 

20210803_002305.thumb.jpg.e94793d6d7f288e3e88ade01d1d32ebb.jpg

That cap doe. Throwback to '92 Barcelona Olympics. Greatest basketball squad ever assembled (sans Christian Laettner - Isiah Thomas really should have been on that team).

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Sadly, Steph's 3's get all the highlights and copycat treatment, not the fact that he moves without the ball more than anyone in the league.

If you would like an example of what Steph would look like without the hyperactive off the ball movement, I would like to introduce you to his brother.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

I don't think it's true, but do the last couple years plus the Olympics mean that Pop is a massive fraud and no one understood just how massively great Duncan had to be?

Off topic. Take it to another thread. 

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The NBA / USA and international basketball have switched roles.   We’re at the point where Team USA needs to remember it’s ok to play big people on your team and to rebound and dunk instead of just 5 wing players shooting threes.  There should be inherent advantages to being Team USA.  Anyone can field 5 guys 6’3 to 6’8” who stand around end try to get hot shooting outside.

What weird times.

Douche your vag. We're winning gold. Despite Pop and Tatum's best efforts at fucking it up.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

That cap doe. Throwback to '92 Barcelona Olympics. Greatest basketball squad every assembled (sans Christian Laettner - Isiah Thomas really should have been on that team).

Yeah but IT was kind of a cunt when it came to his relationship with MJ and it's not like it would have mattered. 

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The NBA / USA and international basketball have switched roles.   We’re at the point where Team USA needs to remember it’s ok to play big people on your team and to rebound and dunk instead of just 5 wing players shooting threes.  There should be inherent advantages to being Team USA.  Anyone can field 5 guys 6’3 to 6’8” who stand around and try to get hot shooting outside.

What weird times.

I think this is fair 

To be honest I don't have a lot of the same prejudices that you ask, do, for better or for worse. I have other ones. As an outsider I don't think this is on Pop at all if they fall short of gold. 

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I don't think it's true, but do the last couple years plus the Olympics mean that Pop is a massive fraud and no one understood just how massively great Duncan had to be?

Massive fraud is obviously harsh, but I've said for years that "team first, check your ego at the door" coaches like Pop and Belichick need best players like Duncan and Brady that completely buy in and set the tone. 

A collection of random All-Star talent who won't be together long and are already [mostly] fully formed is a weird setting for Pop.

And, yeah, the player probably deserves more of the credit in the all-time great coach/player combos.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t think he’s a massive fraud, but firing the coach and then keeping himself as the permanent replacement when it became clear they had Robinson coming back and Duncan coming in was a pretty dickish way to start off.  His reputation definitely benefitted greatly from having a top roster for 20 years, much of that being a result of hitting draft jackpots. 

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Massive fraud is obviously harsh, but I've said for years that "team first, check your ego at the door" coaches like Pop and Belichick need best players like Duncan and Brady that completely buy in and set the tone. 

A collection of random All-Star talent who won't be together long and are already [mostly] fully formed is a weird setting for Pop.

Take this stupid bullshit elsewhere. Pop has 5 titles.

6 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

This guy is a series ahead of me and I love him for it. I'm like fuck yeah, here comes a reaper bucket. 

5 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

See my next post. I recommend you put z on ignore. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

wow you're like a full minute ahead of my feed. that play deserved a proper finish.

Sorry guys. I love my guy.

• Hook 'Em 1