Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

9 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, why does Mulkey refuse to speak about Griner?

I believe she’s said she addressed it in the spring and coach speak about it being a distraction from her press sessions being about LSU and her players. 

But she’s a piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

If Mulkey knew she was gay when she played there, and I’m guessing she did, would that have been an issue at Baylor?  Or did they just not address it?  I’m sure that’s not uncommon in many schools.

It’s been widely reported KM knew and told her to shut up and keep it under wraps. Then KM tried to get that person who reported fired 

https://www.insider.com/kim-mulkey-tried-fire-reporter-brittney-griner-hide-sexuality-baylor-2021-4?amp

• Hook 'Em 1

To match the charity game between Texas and Arky in MBB, the WBB team will face-off against DePaul.  That's Sonya Morris' former team. 

I'm all for facing off, even just for a charity exhibition, against an NCAA tournament-level team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

#15 and #32 rated recruits for Texas + 6'9 post player for the class of 2023 (so far). 

We lose Sonya Morris for sure and Anissa may move on.  Shaylee Gonzales has a medical RS year she can use.  We are using up 14 scholarships right now, so minus 2 + 3 incoming is the full 15 if Shaylee comes back.  I have read Boutilier may pay her own way though.  Shaylee's NLI is pretty substantial too. 

Someone like Masudi could transfer, just as Kobe did with her degree. 

Texas will probably have some very interesting creative scholarship/roster moves in the offseason again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Blair is only in her mid 20s correct? 

Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself but it would be cool if Texas could get 10 more years from Vic and then have Blair waiting to take over. 

When nepotism is brought up in WBB I always think back to the son of legendary coach Pat Summit getting the head coaching job at Louisiana Tech in his mid 20s, and then he knocked up one of his players. That didn’t work out well, but thanks to biology we wouldn't have to worry about Blair knocking anyone up!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

When nepotism is brought up in WBB I always think back to the son of legendary coach Pat Summit getting the head coaching job at Louisiana Tech in his mid 20s, and then he knocked up one of his players. That didn’t work out well, but thanks to biology we wouldn't have to worry about Blair knocking anyone up!

That was an absolutely terrible hire.  He had 2 years of assistant coaching experience right out of HS before he got hired by LA Tech. 

FYI, he divorced his wife and married that player.  He doesn't coach anymore and runs his mom's foundation but also gets $173,000/year from her state pension. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Stanford series may be dead as long as Vic and Tara are both in charge.  And I don't blame Vic one bit. 

The game has evolved, the players have become bigger and stronger in the 87 years since Tara started coaching and pretending that WBB is supposed to polite, gentle and soft is doing a disservice to the sport, and a big reason why a lot of tall girls are playing volleyball over basketball.  If you are telling little girls it's not supposed to be a physical game, the first scrum for a loose ball or a rebound or getting banged around in the post is going to surprise them.  

Plus the running, lol.  You play for Vic, you better enjoy running. 

Considering our team then did this:

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

Texas gets 2 on the preseason list - Harmon and Moore

Preseason POY: Joens (ISU)

Preseason NCOY: Blackwell (Baylor)

Preseason FOY: Littlepage-Bugg (Baylor) 

Shaylee and Sonya were honorable mention. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas gets 2 on the preseason list - Harmon and Moore

Preseason POY: Joens (ISU)

Preseason NCOY: Blackwell (Baylor)

Preseason FOY: Littlepage-Bugg (Baylor) 

Shaylee and Sonya were honorable mention. 

Honorable Mention
Ja’Mee Asberry (Baylor), Dre’Una Edwards (Baylor), Zakiyah Franklin (Kansas), Taiyanna Jackson (Kansas), Ana Llanusa (Oklahoma), Shaylee Gonzales (Texas), Taylor Jones (Texas), Sonya Morris (Texas), JJ Quinerly (West Virginia), Madisen Smith (West Virginia)

And Taylor Jones makes 3 for H.M.

Going to be a great year. 

26 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas has done a better job keeping Joens in check than just about every other Big12 team in the past couple seasons. She scares the shit out of other teams not named Texas

Texas continuously forces ISU into season high in turnovers and season low in shooting %.  Vic has never lost to them, going 3-0 in back to back seasons (home, road, neutral). 

There's a reason Texas is #3 in Creme's top 25 and ISU is #9

UConn down, Texas up in final 2022-23 women's college basketball Way-Too-Early Top 25 (espn.com)

3. Texas Longhorns

Previous: 5

Much like his teams at Mississippi State, Vic Schaefer's Texas clubs just keep getting better. After trips to the Elite Eight in his first two seasons in Austin, the first Final Four for the program since 2004 seems close. In Rori Harmon, Schaefer has a point guard to build around and a star in the making. Then the portal brought grad transfers Gonzales from BYU and Sonya Morris from DePaul -- and suddenly the Longhorns have the most intriguing backcourt in the country. The arrival of 6-4 Taylor Jones from Oregon State to play alongside forwards Aaliyah Moore and DeYona Gaston gives Schaefer several lineup options and the talent to challenge for a national title.

Texas will face #6 UConn, #9 ISU twice, #16 OU twice, #19 Baylor twice, #24 Princeton and likely will face #4 Tennessee and #7 Louisville in the Battle 4 Atlantis. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas basketball media days: Longhorns express excitement about upcoming season

Senior guard Shaylee Gonzales: "We have a really stacked team right now. We're going to be super tough. I actually got here two months ago. I'm a grad transfer (from BYU) and the differences between teams, I just feel like this team is more aggressive and tough. I feel like I'm playing with taller, faster, stronger girls. Obviously it's a different conference jumping from the WCC to the Big 12 so I'm just really looking forward to being able to see what our team can do with what we've been practicing and conditioning with. I'm just super excited."

Senior guard Sonya Morris: "Every year I'm really excited to play but I think this year, it tops all the other years because the opportunities and we really have a true chance to make it to the national championship. I just think if we just stick our nose to the grind and just stay with it, stay focused, stay consistent, I'm just really excited to see how far we will go."

Junior guard Shay Holle: "So excited, especially being in the Moody Center, this is the first week of official practices in here so it's very motivating just seeing how nice it is. Hopefully seeing these stands be filled is going to be really fun."

Junior forward Taylor Jones: "This is definitely a special group and we are looking to do some damage. I mean, the chemistry with all of us is just amazing, and we also have a lot of talent. I'm very excited just to play alongside of them."

Sophomore forward Aaliyah Moore: "I'm so excited. I'm healthy, we look good, have a good schedule coming up so I'm really excited to play with this team. I think we're going to surprise some people. I'm excited. I'm a sophomore now, not a freshman so it's gonna be a really good year."

This team is loaded with talent and attitude, best chance in a long time to cut the final nets. You don't want to see this group warming up in your gym.

Nor do you want to see this guy working the other bench:

vic7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas is #3 in the preseason AP poll

SC (unanimous #1)
Stanford
Texas
Iowa
Tennessee

Texas is slated to play #6 UConn, #15 OU, #18 Baylor, #24 Princeton and will probably play #7 Louisville on our side of the Battle 4 Atlantis bracket and one of #5 Tenn, #23 South Dakota State or RV UCLA. 

KU, KSU and USF are receiving votes, as is DePaul (our charity scrimmage team)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Texas' televised games by the ESPN family of networks this year:

ULL @ Texas - LHN
Battle 4 Atlantis Champ Game - ESPN2
Princeton @ Texas - LHN
USF @ Texas - LHN
Southern University @ Texas-  LHN
Alabama State @ Texas - LHN
USC-Texas (Dallas) - ESPN2
Houston Christian @ Texas - LHN
KSU @ Texas - LHN
KU @ Texas-  LHN
ISU @ Texas - ESPN/2
Texas @ Baylor - ESPN2
OU @ Texas - LHN
OSU @ Texas - LHN
Tech @ Texas - LHN
TCU @ Texas - LHN
Texas @ ISU - ESPN2
WV @ Texas - ESPNU
Baylor @ Texas - ESPN2

I assume this doesn't include most Big 12 road games that get kicked to ESPN+.  

Texas @ UConn is already on FS1.  Unsure what else FS1 will pick up of Big 12 road games.  Texas @ OU could be an FS1 game or Bally Sports if they don't pick it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:55 PM, closetojumping said:

The initiatives, CFC included, have been mostly focused on triage and it's not in anyone's interest as a fan for us to delve any further into it. The guys leading that are legit with putting their money where their mouth is. The ultimate goal is, across all sports, setting an NIL expectation for each program that is elite or flat out alone at the top on NIL.

That takes time, and specifically at Texas as you guys know, there is a shitload of money that will sit perfectly happy on the sidelines doing nothing and bitching about losses in the process. The major booster backing is waiting to be begged to help. Every sport is going to need a patron or two as well. This coming weekend will be a big deal for all of this. 

I don't want this to be read as negative, because it's more neutral. The goals from the people actually doing shit are in the right place but until someone like one of us achieves billionaire status, we need help from the billionaires who are currently long on opinions, talk, and being patrician, and short on showing up to actually drive things forward. The premise that NIL matters is still being discussed with some of these people for Christ's sake. 

Anyway, it's early. I have confidence Texas will get there and be elite for everything when we do.

A follow-up here for you women’s basketball fans. There will be something big announced in conjunction with something even bigger overarching every sport within the ol’fortnight. It will be the end of the beginning for our UT NIL journey, with many good things to come. Don’t want to spoil anything more than that, but feel free to sleep better tonight. I’m sure Vic and crew have been lately. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A follow-up here for you women’s basketball fans. There will be something big announced in conjunction with something even bigger overarching every sport within the ol’fortnight. It will be the end of the beginning for our UT NIL journey, with many good things to come. Don’t want to spoil anything more than that, but feel free to sleep better tonight. I’m sure Vic and crew have been lately. 

You post quick lol