Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They’re going region by region.  Not Bridgeport or Greensboro 

UConn gets a home regional 🙄 2 in Bridgeport 

Can take a field trip to the Pez factory near Bridgeport. 

Edited by Underdog
Fucking spellchecker
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I like our draw. Bring on Stanford again 

Very much yes.

I'm feeling extremely optimistic about our bracket. No juggernauts on our side, we have faced the biggest demon there and emerged victorious.

Finally beating Baylor and knocking them down to a 2 gives our team a ton of confidence and me a big happy.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Good draw. Only person that worries me on LSU is Khayla Pointer. I don’t think Stanford handles press well tbh. 

LSU may have issues with Ohio State’s three point shooting. Which is Vic’s dream opponent.

If Alexis Morris is healthy, worry about her too. But their inside game is weak - Ebo, Gaston, Moore would feast 

Edited by Js1

Getting Ohio State as the 6 and Utah as the 7 was a gift - some of the others who got a 6 or 7 or were possible choices (Georgia, Kentucky, Ole Miss, VT, Colorado, Oregon) were a lot scarier. 

Out of Michigan, LSU and Indiana - got the 3 I think we’d match up with best.  Lowest NET of the 3, 25-5 but only good wins are ISU (we did that 3 times), Georgia twice and Tenn after all their injuries. Think Texas is much more tested (Stanford, Baylor x3, ISU x3, Tenn, Princeton, KSU x3)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So our quarter is pretty much what was projected it looks like. Mulkey's LSU, Stanford, and Nell Fortners GT all in there. Getting the #2 seed kept us from having to worry about UConn getting in our quarter. Lets get to work!

Oh, I forgot about Nell with GT. Very cool, glad she got in, I'll bet they are very happy with their hire.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Really loved that Texas outplayed baylor -- today's win was no fluke!!!  

Final score was 67-58

Also Baylor’s lowest output all year. Was 59 to KSU before we held them to 58

In 3 games to Baylor: 75 -> 63 -> 58

• Like 1

Comparing NET to seeds for the top 16: (Wasn't able to find a 1-68 seed list like they do for the men)

#1 SC (#1)
#1 NC State (#2)
#1 Stanford (#3)
#1 Louisville (#5)

#2 Iowa (#13)
#2 UConn (#4)
#2 Texas (#8)
#2 Baylor (#6)

#3 Iowa State (#9)
#3 Indiana (#16)
#3 LSU (#21)
#3 Michigan (#17)

#4 Arizona (#19)
#4 OU (#35)
#4 Maryland (#14)
#4 Tennessee (#18)

Greensboro - average top 4 NET is 10.5 (70.3 overall - does have two 16 seeds for a play-in and two 11 seeds for a play-in) 
Bridgeport - average top 4NET is 14.25 (61.5 overall - does have two 16 seeds for a play-in) 
Spokane - average top 4NET is 11.5 (46.47 overall - does have two 11 seeds for a play-in) 
Wichita - average top 4 NET is 11.5 (54.43 overall) 

Some top 16 NET teams who didn't get seeds -

#7 UNC (5 seed in Greensboro)
#10 Virginia Tech (#5 in Spokane)
#11 BYU (#6 in Wichita)
#12 Oregon (#5 in Wichita)
#15 UCF (#7 in Bridgeport) 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas’ first round game will probably be on LHN. Second round either picked up by ESPN/2 or LHN again. Just my guess. 

Well nvm.  ESPN App has us listed as 7pm on ESPN2.  Looks like ESPN/2/U/News will have simultaneous coverage of the first and second rounds.

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well nvm.  ESPN App has us listed as 7pm on ESPN2.  Looks like ESPN/2/U/News will have simultaneous coverage of the first and second rounds.

Thanks @Js1 , that's probably good news, more eyes on us and more fans can get the games.

As long as it's not the dreaded "whip-around coverage" where you only see part of your game. That makes me ragey.

9 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Thanks @Js1 , that's probably good news, more eyes on us and more fans can get the games.

As long as it's not the dreaded "whip-around coverage" where you only see part of your game. That makes me ragey.

Good chance it will be whip-around which is why I’ll be using the ESPN+ dedicated feed if there is one 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Comparing NET to seeds for the top 16: (Wasn't able to find a 1-68 seed list like they do for the men)

#1 SC (#1)
#1 NC State (#2)
#1 Stanford (#3)
#1 Louisville (#5)

#2 Iowa (#13)
#2 UConn (#4)
#2 Texas (#8)
#2 Baylor (#6)

#3 Iowa State (#9)
#3 Indiana (#16)
#3 LSU (#21)
#3 Michigan (#17)

#4 Arizona (#19)
#4 OU (#35)
#4 Maryland (#14)
#4 Tennessee (#18)

Greensboro - average top 4 NET is 10.5 (70.3 overall - does have two 16 seeds for a play-in and two 11 seeds for a play-in) 
Bridgeport - average top 4NET is 14.25 (61.5 overall - does have two 16 seeds for a play-in) 
Spokane - average top 4NET is 11.5 (46.47 overall - does have two 11 seeds for a play-in) 
Wichita - average top 4 NET is 11.5 (54.43 overall) 

Some top 16 NET teams who didn't get seeds -

#7 UNC (5 seed in Greensboro)
#10 Virginia Tech (#5 in Spokane)
#11 BYU (#6 in Wichita)
#12 Oregon (#5 in Wichita)
#15 UCF (#7 in Bridgeport) 

I always get pissed when I see a NET rating wildly different from the seeding but I guess sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't.

You folks all know this but I have to remind myself:

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):

• Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of conference
  • Strength of schedule

guidlines-pirates-of-the-caribbean.gif

24 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Good chance it will be whip-around which is why I’ll be using the ESPN+ dedicated feed if there is one 

I do not believe they whip around anymore.  ESPN/2/U/News gives them 4 dedicated channels on Friday.  Saturday has 2 games on ABC as well. 

Texas at 7pm on ESPN2 on Friday night (Louisville plays at 5pm on ESPN2 before us)
Georgia plays at 6:30 on ESPN News
Then two 9pm games on ESPN2 (Stanford) and ESPNU (ISU)

I think the whip-around coverage was probably also a point of contention with the fairness stuff from last year that led to the 68 team field for 2022 and being able to use "March Madness" in their promotion of the tournament. 

The only issue might be starting on the ESPN App if Louisville doesn't finish on time. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

538 has their round-by-round up.

No surprise - SC has the highest chance at 46%. 

Texas, by probability, should reach the Elite 8 - 66% chance of reaching the Elite 8.  Texas is 72% against LSU in a projected matchup.   23% against Stanford in an Elite 8 matchup. 

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

538 has their round-by-round up.

No surprise - SC has the highest chance at 46%. 

Texas, by probability, should reach the Elite 8 - 66% chance of reaching the Elite 8.  Texas is 72% against LSU in a projected matchup.   23% against Stanford in an Elite 8 matchup. 

This is all good news. Great chance of beating Mulkey (please god yes) and making the Elite 8. Love the 23% chance against Standford because we will be underdogs and not expected to do well (I'm sure they will not be overlooking us) but we beat them before in Palo Alto and our team is much improved since then. I like our chances.

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I do not believe they whip around anymore.  ESPN/2/U/News gives them 4 dedicated channels on Friday.  Saturday has 2 games on ABC as well. 

Texas at 7pm on ESPN2 on Friday night (Louisville plays at 5pm on ESPN2 before us)
Georgia plays at 6:30 on ESPN News
Then two 9pm games on ESPN2 (Stanford) and ESPNU (ISU)

I think the whip-around coverage was probably also a point of contention with the fairness stuff from last year that led to the 68 team field for 2022 and being able to use "March Madness" in their promotion of the tournament. 

The only issue might be starting on the ESPN App if Louisville doesn't finish on time. 

I sure hope that’s the case. Guess I’ll stick with ESPN2, but I’ll have ESPN+ ready in case the game before it goes “long”. 

I quoted long because seemingly all games overlap on ESPN, almost like it’s by design. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I sure hope that’s the case. Guess I’ll stick with ESPN2, but I’ll have ESPN+ ready in case the game before it goes “long”. 

I quoted long because seemingly all games overlap on ESPN, almost like it’s by design. 

A 2 hour window is just so stupid for basketball.  Just like football's 3 hour window.  All games should have an extra 30 min built into TV time slots.  Covers games going long/OT periods.

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I always get pissed when I see a NET rating wildly different from the seeding but I guess sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't.

You folks all know this but I have to remind myself:

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):

• Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of conference
  • Strength of schedule

guidlines-pirates-of-the-caribbean.gif

They don't even know what their own critera is!

Texas moved from #10 to #7 in between their last reveal on Feb 28 and March 13 Selection Day.  During that time, Texas beat a #8 seed on the road and then a #9 seed, a #3 seed and a #2 seed in three consecutive days. 

UConn goes from #9 to #6 by beating no one
Iowa goes #14 to #8 by beating Northwestern (no postseason), a #6 seed and a #3 seed

Committee mentions how Iowa finishes down the stretch (7 straight) ..... well how about Texas, who won 11 straight and beat KSU twice, ISU twice, Baylor and KU during that stretch of games? 

I don't think the committee even considered Texas moving up to #5 or #6 with a win over Baylor yesterday.  This is why having the Big 12 tournament championship on Selection Day is stupid.  I think our spot (#7 overall) was locked in regardless of the outcome. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

It’s one of the reasons I don’t like Dabo in football.  However, I don’t get the sense Vic forces it on the team.  (I do think Dabo does).  I follow Vic on twitter.  He likes and retweet’s some faith stuff.  There’s a difference between being spiritual and religious.  I think Vic is spiritual and it fits him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s one of the reasons I don’t like Dabo in football.  However, I don’t get the sense Vic forces it on the team.  (I do think Dabo does).  I follow Vic on twitter.  He likes and retweet’s some faith stuff.  There’s a difference between being spiritual and religious.  I think Vic is spiritual and it fits him. 

Patty Gasso (OU softball) basically runs a Jesus camp in Norman.  But she wins titles, so no one complains. 

OU’s Patty Gasso focuses on winning souls more than games | Baptist Messenger of Oklahoma

Patty The Messenger (fca.org)

Oklahoma softball 40-game winning streak built on foundation of faith (sportsspectrum.com)

Top-seeded Oklahoma softball team finds strength in Christ as NCAA Tournament begins - Sports Spectrum

• Haha 1

Also if anyone noticed last night, Duke declined the WNIT.  Feel bad for Celeste Taylor - her season is over.  But she was retweeting JAT and some other stuff about our tournament title.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Won’t lie, didn’t like his on-court postgame interview when he said the ladies had a flame and there’s no doubt who put it there. The team worked hard, he coached them hard, why does Jesus get the glory?  He doesn’t care about the result of the game. Are the Baylor players not Christian enough?

I have the same issue when someone survives a traumatic event or major surgery and it’s all about god and prayers and little to nothing about the doctors, surgeons, nurses, EMTs, and whoever else helped to ensure the outcome. 

vic can say hook ‘em and god bless (or ptl, whatever it is) and idgas. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Also if anyone noticed last night, Duke declined the WNIT.  Feel bad for Celeste Taylor - her season is over.  But she was retweeting JAT and some other stuff about our tournament title.  

Whoa! Really? Why decline? More practice time and get to play the game you love one more time.

Yeah bummer for Celeste. Trying to imagine how the year would have been different if she had stayed....

Wonder if she regrets that move.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Won’t lie, didn’t like his on-court postgame interview when he said the ladies had a flame and there’s no doubt who put it there. The team worked hard, he coached them hard, why does Jesus get the glory?  He doesn’t care about the result of the game. Are the Baylor players not Christian enough?

I have the same issue when someone survives a traumatic event or major surgery and it’s all about god and prayers and little to nothing about the doctors, surgeons, nurses, EMTs, and whoever else helped to ensure the outcome. 

vic can say hook ‘em and god bless and idgas. 

Yeah, I cringe every time he does that.

Always seems to take a bit of arrogance to think you know what's right for someone else in that regard. Your world has to be pretty small.

Still my coach though.

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m gonna go out on limb and say they declined the wnit because they want to “build a culture” that’s only about the tournament.  It’s about as rolleyes as you can get. 

Duke's newspaper didn't seem thrilled. 

Duke women’s basketball ends season after missing NCAA tournament and rejecting NIT bid - The Chronicle (dukechronicle.com)

Recent up-and-coming WNIT winners include: Arizona (2019), last year’s NCAA runner-up; Indiana (2018), which has since finished top-20 in the AP poll in three consecutive years; Michigan (2017), which has since been to four-straight NCAA tournaments; and UCLA (2015), which reached the Sweet Sixteen in each of the next four years. The last three runners-up (Ole Miss, Northwestern, Virginia Tech) all received March Madness bids within the couple years following their appearance.

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m gonna go out on limb and say they declined the wnit because they want to “build a culture” that’s only about the tournament.  It’s about as rolleyes as you can get. 

This is the part I found interesting:

The team, however, clearly could not come to a consensus on playing in the invitational.

Junior Celeste Taylor said last week, following the Blue Devils’ loss to Miami in the second round of the ACC tournament, “[we're going to] see what we're gonna do as a team, and probably make that decision together as a team.”

That came in direct response to freshman Shayeann Day-Wilson saying: “Another opportunity is never a bad opportunity. So if the opportunity presents itself, then we're definitely all going to take it.”

Duke's culture is proudly player-led, so it's unsurprising that the decision to voluntarily end its season for the second-straight year would come from the players. With the team's rotation consisting of seven transfers and a freshman who arrived to campus in August (Day-Wilson), the roster includes this year's ACC Freshman of the Year (again Day-Wilson), WNBA hopefuls, Fuqua students heavily invested in their coursework and players who've been to Sweet Sixteens. (Those categories are not mutually exclusive.) Especially given the factors pervading the Blue Devils’ collapse over the past two months, it’s understandable that the team was not fully in lockstep.