Asian

South Austin

We have a thread titled "Chineez," but I think a broader "Asian"-titled thread is more appropriate. 

A couple things.  First, I mentioned on another thread, but I have the sads for Hao Q's passing.  I mean, real sad.  That was an important part of my and my kids' dining experience for over a decade.  We were really treated like family there.

spacer.png

Second, the pho at Hao Q was one of my kids' favorites, so now I'm looking elsewhere.  Anyone ever been to Pho MPH in the Triangle? And any other suggestions for Pho in the Burnet Road/Anderson Lane area?

You have our gratitude.

Hadn't heard about Hao Q closing, though I read that the new place at that location planned to keep some of the old menu and add some Filipino influences to the new menu. 

Pho Saigon in the Asian shopping center on North Lamar is my current favorite in Austin.  Phonatic on Anderson Lane is passable.  Good luck.

Tan My is my absolute favorite pho in town, by far. On Ohlen Road, back behind the Target on 183.

I thought we had a Vietnamese thread somewhere, but maybe that was at the old site.

Edited by utee94

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Tan My is my absolute favorite pho in town, by far. On Ohlen Road, back behind the Target on 183.

I thought we had a Vietnamese thread somewhere, but maybe that was at the old site.

I couldn't fine one, and I thought a broader Asian thread was better than separate discrete threads for Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, etc.  In the past all of those discussions eventually blend into one.

My favorite Vietnamese place in town was Sunflower, next to the Target off Ohlen Road, but they didn't survive the pandemic.  I'll give Tan My a shot.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I couldn't fine one, and I thought a broader Asian thread was better than separate discrete threads for Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, etc.  In the past all of those discussions eventually blend into one.

My favorite Vietnamese place in town was Sunflower, next to the Target off Ohlen Road, but they didn't survive the pandemic.  I'll give Tan My a shot.

Yeah I liked Sunflower for Vietnamese in general. But for pho, Tan My has been my favorite in Austin for at least a couple decades. 

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

not a huge fan by any means but Saffron South is starting to grow on me.  At Bee Caves & Walsh-Tarlton.  

They were closed for a long time during the pandemic. Glad they reopened. We alternate between it and Bombay Bistro at Brodie Oaks. The classic bone-in chicken curry is really good.

• 5 months later...

Went to Ramen Tatsuya on Saturday and that place has definitely lost a step.  I wonder if they're being stretched too thin with all the other restaurants they've got running.  One of my favorite side dishes, the yodas, has been completely changed. It's now a pretty dry, shredded brussel sprouts dish that's more like a salad. They give you 3 times as much now but it is mediocre. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Went to P Thai Khao Man Gai this weekend.

P. Thai is the chef behind Thai Kun. This place is all him on his own, without the partners behind Thai Kun.

It's a small stall inside the Hong Kong Supermarket. It's a bare bones setup, with bar style seating. 

Ordered Khao Min Gai and it was delicious. The sauces really make the dish.

P. Thai and staff are friendly and helpful.

Notes:

The soup is not very flavorful. 

The chicken portion is not very large. 

When they sell out, they close up and go home. So it's a lunch place, not a dinner place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been to Red Farm downtown twice. Really good. Way too expensive.  I am not sure it’s getting the foot traffic it anticipated either.  I thought it was going to be a very difficult reservation (not Ref Ash difficult, but maybe ATX Cocina) and it isn’t.  

So I had my first rave Austin restaurant experience in years (for context, I think most Austin restaurants have an outsized reputation, are expensive so should be good, or both, so it’s rare to be surprised).  

Went to House of Three Gorges the other day; Sichuan style Chinese, a couple of store fronts down from the original Ramen Tatsuya on 183.  It was fantastic-large portions, super spicy, and different flavors for each dish (that’s one complaint I had with Thai-Kun-everything tastes the same).    It’s not very large and was crowded with Asians, who presumably know good Chinese.  

I’ve been pretty bored with Chinese food for a long time but this was exceptional-definite recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 2