SEC Network

Zeus

I love this network because they just play full games from previous seasons during the day. Some of the other content is trash, especially the HAWT TAKES on the Paul Finebaum show. They are taking calls from fake people in Austin right now lol. I have a theory all they are all fake.

Can we get a thread to analyse what's gonna happen when we in the SEC with this network? I don't get longhorn network but it didn't seem that great anyway. 

Paul is saying now the SEC is going to make Texas a contender.

IMG_20210830_174754.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

LHN is awesome for people that enjoy following secondary sports, and especially baseball and volleyball which get a lot of play.

I can't imagine any actual, real Longhorn football fan in Austin that would call in to Finebaum's show.  That definitely sounds made up.

And all Texas needs to do to be a contender, is stop shitting the bed.  We were contenders long before the SEC was the SECSECSEC.  It's entirely on us.  Hopefully Sark will surprise me and be that guy for us.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

I love this network because they just play full games from previous seasons during the day. Some of the other content is trash, especially the HAWT TAKES on the Paul Finebaum show. They are taking calls from fake people in Austin right now lol. I have a theory all they are all fake.

Can we get a thread to analyse what's gonna happen when we in the SEC with this network? I don't get longhorn network but it didn't seem that great anyway. 

All conference networks suck, with the exception of live sports programming. LHN just didn't have enough content, even with broadcasting secondary sports. ESPN didn't invest enough in compelling documentaries, either, IMO.

Losing broadcast rights to UIL competition also really hurt LHN. Thanks, aggy. Now it can't be broadcast on conference networks, either.

19 hours ago, utee94 said:

LHN is awesome for people that enjoy following secondary sports, and especially baseball and volleyball which get a lot of play.

I’ll bet I can see as much of tOSU’s secondary sports on BTN as you can see UT’s secondary sports on LHN. Maybe more because there are 36 varsity sports at tOSU. And there’s still not enough to fill a network 24/7/365. They don’t cover all of them all of the time. But they cover them enough that I can see repeats of games. Plus I can also see Minnesota vs. Wisconsin in hockey or Penn St. vs. Iowa in wrestling. I can watch a wide variety of women’s sports from gymnastics to ice hockey to field hockey to soccer and volleyball and tennis and softball. I mostly don’t. (Except for gymnastics and volleyball.) But I can. And I can see replays of classic games that don’t involve the Buckeyes.

The Journey is one of the best original series that I’ve seen on any of the conference networks. It started with basketball then they expanded it to football. Every week they introduce you to some players from different teams. You might see their apartments, meet their parents, watch highlights from that week’s games, see them in class, see them in the training facility, maybe see them painting or playing a musical instrument or reciting poetry. Whatever. I think it’s pretty cool to get to know some of the other players in the conference on a more personal level. But then I’m a fan of the conference, not just my school’s team.

Plus the first live game they broadcast was Appalachian State’s upset of Michigan in Ann Arbor so I was sold from the very start.  :D

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ll bet I can see as much of tOSU’s secondary sports on BTN as you can see UT’s secondary sports on LHN. Maybe more because there are 36 varsity sports at tOSU. And there’s still not enough to fill a network 24/7/365. They don’t cover all of them all of the time. But they cover them enough that I can see repeats of games. Plus I can also see Minnesota vs. Wisconsin in hockey or Penn St. vs. Iowa in wrestling. I can watch a wide variety of women’s sports from gymnastics to ice hockey to field hockey to soccer and volleyball and tennis and softball. I mostly don’t. (Except for gymnastics and volleyball.) But I can. And I can see replays of classic games that don’t involve the Buckeyes.

The Journey is one of the best original series that I’ve seen on any of the conference networks. It started with basketball then they expanded it to football. Every week they introduce you to some players from different teams. You might see their apartments, meet their parents, watch highlights from that week’s games, see them in class, see them in the training facility, maybe see them painting or playing a musical instrument or reciting poetry. Whatever. I think it’s pretty cool to get to know some of the other players in the conference on a more personal level. But then I’m a fan of the conference, not just my school’s team.

Plus the first live game they broadcast was Appalachian State’s upset of Michigan in Ann Arbor so I was sold from the very start.  :D

Maybe?  I don't get the BTN here, so can't comment on it.

I do get the SECN and they don't have anywhere close to all of ANY school's secondary sports.  LHN shows far more of UT's secondary sports than the SECN does for any single school.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Maybe?  I don't get the BTN here, so can't comment on it.

I do get the SECN and they don't have anywhere close to all of ANY school's secondary sports.  LHN shows far more of UT's secondary sports than the SECN does for any single school.

You mentioned baseball and volleyball specifically. I can see both Buckeye men’s baseball and women’s softball, and both their volleyball teams, on BTN. Along with the other B1G teams who play those sports. I think I’m getting more than you are. If your interest in college sports begins and ends with the Longhorns then you might disagree  

I’ve watched the PAC-12 network and the SEC network. I’ve never watched LHN because for the life of me I can’t understand why anyone would want to watch a network devoted to just one team (and I’d have to pay extra just to get that network devoted to just one team). Even though Buckeye fans could support a Buckeye-only network, I can see all of that on BTN and more. I think more is better.

My biggest complaint about BTN is that, in the early days, they didn’t advertise the outcome of classic games. So if you didn’t know the outcome ahead of time then you could watch the game like you were seeing it for the first time. Now they tell you ahead of time by calling it a, for example, “Michigan State Classic.” So you know the Spartans are going to win. I wish they wouldn’t do that. But I assume every classic game LHN shows is a Longhorn victory so I suppose it’s the same thing.

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You mentioned baseball and volleyball specifically. I can see both Buckeye men’s baseball and women’s softball, and both their volleyball teams, on BTN. Along with the other B1G teams who play those sports. I think I’m getting more than you are. If your interest in college sports begins and ends with the Longhorns then you might disagree  

I’ve watched the PAC-12 network and the SEC network. I’ve never watched LHN because for the life of me I can’t understand why anyone would want to watch a network devoted to just one team (and I’d have to pay extra just to get that network devoted to just one team). Even though Buckeye fans could support a Buckeye-only network, I can see all of that on BTN and more. I think more is better.

My biggest complaint about BTN is that, in the early days, they didn’t advertise the outcome of classic games. So if you didn’t know the outcome ahead of time then you could watch the game like you were seeing it for the first time. Now they tell you ahead of time by calling it a, for example, “Michigan State Classic.” So you know the Spartans are going to win. I wish they wouldn’t do that. But I assume every classic game LHN shows is a Longhorn victory so I suppose it’s the same thing.

I'm not sure what points you're trying to argue with? But you clearly don't have any idea what the LHN actually shows, if you're touting being able to watch baseball and softball and volleyball on the BTN, because all of those and more are also shown on the LHN. 

I mentioned the two sports I watch most on LHN.  But the network shows pretty much everything and I know people that watch all of the other sports regularly.  My wife is an ag.  I can watch more UT secondary sports on LHN, than she can watch ag secondary sports on SECN.  I care about UT sports first and foremost and as a Longhorn would rather watch all of UT's sport, compared to being an ag and missing quite a few of their sports because the SECN was broadcasting Mississippi State or Kentucky instead.

As I stated I have no experience with BTN, but I've watched a lot of SECN, and my wife is constantly annoyed that I can watch all of the UT secondary sports, but when she wants to watch her ags play soccer or volleyball, the SECN is showing Auburn or Georgia or Vanderbilt instead.

Perhaps you love Michigan so much you're fine when the BTN chooses to air a Michigan basketball game instead of an Ohio State volleyball game.  That's certainly okay, that's your choice to feel that way.

But my wife doesn't care that much about Ole Miss or Vanderbilt.  And I certainly wouldn't rather watch an Iowa State basketball game over a Texas volleyball game.  With the LHN, that's never an issue.

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm not sure what points you're trying to argue with? But you clearly don't have any idea what the LHN actually shows, if you're touting being able to watch baseball and softball and volleyball on the BTN, because all of those and more are also shown on the LHN. 

I mentioned the two sports I watch most on LHN.  But the network shows pretty much everything and I know people that watch all of the other sports regularly.  My wife is an ag.  I can watch more UT secondary sports on LHN, than she can watch ag secondary sports on SECN.  I care about UT sports first and foremost and as a Longhorn would rather watch all of UT's sport, compared to being an ag and missing quite a few of their sports because the SECN was broadcasting Mississippi State or Kentucky instead.

As I stated I have no experience with BTN, but I've watched a lot of SECN, and my wife is constantly annoyed that I can watch all of the UT secondary sports, but when she wants to watch her ags play soccer or volleyball, the SECN is showing Auburn or Georgia or Vanderbilt instead.

Perhaps you love Michigan so much you're fine when the BTN chooses to air a Michigan basketball game instead of an Ohio State volleyball game.  That's certainly okay, that's your choice to feel that way.

But my wife doesn't care that much about Ole Miss or Vanderbilt.  And I certainly wouldn't rather watch an Iowa State basketball game over a Texas volleyball game.  With the LHN, that's never an issue.

In any given week, how many hours of live Longhorn games, in any sport, are broadcast on LHN? During football season, how many live Longhorn games are shown on LHN? How much of their programming is spent rerunning those games and how much time do you spend rewatching games you’ve already seen?

What I’m saying is that I can probably watch at least as much live and rebroadcast Buckeye sports on BTN as you can watch live and rebroadcast Longhorn sports on LHN, plus I can watch a lot of other live and rebroadcast games from other teams in the conference. Maybe you’re saying you’d rather watch that Longhorns volleyball game five times rather than just twice and then watch a rebroadcast of another match that you missed between other conference teams when it was first aired. If that’s the case then fine but I can’t understand that.

Very few of any B1G games in football and basketball are shown on BTN. Most of them are shown on the major networks. It’s not a matter of BTN “choosing” to show a Michigan basketball game over a Buckeye volleyball game. The Buckeye women’s volleyball team has two matches scheduled on Saturday, Sept. 11. I’ll be watching football that day. I can catch the reruns of the volleyball games later on during the following week along with whatever other conference football and volleyball games I missed. During that next week I can watch them all twice if I want to.

I put LHN on in my studio, sound off, almost daily.

I don’t get the down pressure found here for LHN. Football. Baseball. Basketball. Volleyball. Futbol. Football!

Every year, the RTF school shows student made movies.

When my wife comes out, and if a game isn’t on, I turn the sound up and the programming often makes my wife cry. UT trying to make a better world.

I, for one, will miss it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:39 PM, DFW Horn said:

All conference networks suck, with the exception of live sports programming. LHN just didn't have enough content, even with broadcasting secondary sports. ESPN didn't invest enough in compelling documentaries, either, IMO.

Losing broadcast rights to UIL competition also really hurt LHN. Thanks, aggy. Now it can't be broadcast on conference networks, either.

I agree.

If UIL sports were able to be broadcast on LHN, you could pack a lot of hours of content. 

Then all those high schoolers, parents, and coaches watching games like Lake Travis vs. West Lake every year would get bombarded w/ Longhorn propaganda.

You'd also be able to do the same stuff in all other sports I'd imagine. UIL volleyball, the State Relays, basketball, etc.

And this was part of ESPN's calculus IMO on giving us a network. Well, it was mostly to prevent the Big12 from dying and us going to the PAC16.... but someone had to see an untapped source of UIL content and think they'd be able to monetize that on the network.

The ultimate deathblow to the network, however, was Mack killing himself in recruiting, hiring a position coach as a head coach, hiring a charlatan as an AD, having a temp AD hire a head football coach, and then said AD hiring a turtling MENSA member who enjoyed the aroma of his own farts over hiring a Power 5 level staff and making in game adjustments.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

In any given week, how many hours of live Longhorn games, in any sport, are broadcast on LHN? During football season, how many live Longhorn games are shown on LHN? How much of their programming is spent rerunning those games and how much time do you spend rewatching games you’ve already seen?

What I’m saying is that I can probably watch at least as much live and rebroadcast Buckeye sports on BTN as you can watch live and rebroadcast Longhorn sports on LHN, plus I can watch a lot of other live and rebroadcast games from other teams in the conference. Maybe you’re saying you’d rather watch that Longhorns volleyball game five times rather than just twice and then watch a rebroadcast of another match that you missed between other conference teams when it was first aired. If that’s the case then fine but I can’t understand that.

Very few of any B1G games in football and basketball are shown on BTN. Most of them are shown on the major networks. It’s not a matter of BTN “choosing” to show a Michigan basketball game over a Buckeye volleyball game. The Buckeye women’s volleyball team has two matches scheduled on Saturday, Sept. 11. I’ll be watching football that day. I can catch the reruns of the volleyball games later on during the following week along with whatever other conference football and volleyball games I missed. During that next week I can watch them all twice if I want to.

I think I see the issue here.  You're including rebroadcasts.  Which is fine, but I don't value that and it's not what I was referring to in my initial statement when I expressed what I liked about LHN. I'm talking about live broadcast of secondary sports.

By the time anything is being rebroadcast I've likely already discovered the final scores.  I might still watch a rebroadcast, but that's not the  value I find in the LHN.  It's like having a Tier1 TV contract for EVERY sport, for live broadcasts.

7 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I put LHN on in my studio, sound off, almost daily.

I don’t get the down pressure found here for LHN. Football. Baseball. Basketball. Volleyball. Futbol. Football!

Every year, the RTF school shows student made movies.

When my wife comes out, and if a game isn’t on, I turn the sound up and the programming often makes my wife cry. UT trying to make a better world.

I, for one, will miss it. 

And I agree with this-- I'll miss it.  I won't miss it so much that I'd want to halt the tide of progress, but I'll still miss it.

17 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

because for the life of me I can’t understand why anyone would want to watch a network devoted to just one team

I feel the same way about dipshits from the state of Ohio with 15K posts on a Texas message board about how everything related to tOSU is the always the greatest. Yet here we are.

• Haha 3