RIP Bobby Lackey

TheBryMan81

I hung out with his son about 40 years ago, along with a couple of his friends at SWT who were two of my best friends from HS. They all played golf at SWT, at least my two friends did. I think his son was Bobby Jr., but I may be misremembering. He was dressed more like a rodeo cowboy than a golfer. I knew of his dad’s name, but without the Internet, it was hard to get the particulars, and Brat wasn’t there to tell the stories of the legend  

My own personal three degrees of Bobby Lackey, lol.

15 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I hung out with his son about 40 years ago, along with a couple of his friends at SWT who were two of my best friends from HS. They all played golf at SWT, at least my two friends did. I think his son was Bobby Jr., but I may be misremembering. He was dressed more like a rodeo cowboy than a golfer. I knew of his dad’s name, but without the Internet, it was hard to get the particulars, and Brat wasn’t there to tell the stories of the legend  

My own personal three degrees of Bobby Lackey, lol.

Bobby Lackey Jr's daughter Kim was also quite the talent.

• Drool 1

On 9/2/2021 at 9:06 PM, cafe society said:

He was a favorite Longhorn of my Dad.  For some reason I have a recollection (could be mixing it up with someone else) of my Dad telling me about a two-way star who was missing an eye.  Surely someone here knows if I am confusing all this.

Old buddy, you’re thinking of Bobby Dillon, who died just two years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Dillon

Bobby Dan Dillon (February 23, 1930 – August 22, 2019) was an American professional football player in the National Football League (NFL). He played as a safety and spent his entire eight-year career with the Green Bay Packers.

Dillon was an All-American with the University of Texas Longhorns. Although he was a safety, he also returned kicks and played several games at halfback. He finished his college career with 13 interceptions on defense, one touchdown as a halfback, and multiple kick returns for touchdowns. He was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the 3rd round (28th pick) of the 1952 NFL draft.

After multiple accidents during his childhood, Dillon lost one of his eyes and played his entire career with a glass eye. Despite his handicap, he became one of the most successful defensive backs of his era. His 52 career interceptions are still a Packers' franchise record. He was a four-time Associated Press All-Pro and four-time Pro Bowler. He intended to retire at the end of the 1958 season, but the Packers' new head coach, Vince Lombardi, convinced him to return for the 1959 season. After an injury halfway through the season, he lost his starting job and retired. The 1959 season was the only year during Dillon's tenure that the Packers had a winning record. In recognition of his football achievements, Dillon was elected to the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame in 1974 and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1996.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

In recognition of his football achievements, Dillon was elected to the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame in 1974 and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1996.

You forgot the best part…

Pro Football Hall of Fame

Five months after his death, he was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as part of the NFL's centennial class, with the formal induction ceremony planned for August 2020.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You forgot the best part…

Pro Football Hall of Fame

Five months after his death, he was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as part of the NFL's centennial class, with the formal induction ceremony planned for August 2020.

I just clipped the first three paragraphs of the Wiki article as I saw it started summarizing his time at Wilsonart, and didn’t notice they had sneakily placed the HOF note at the bottom, so good catch. 

Lackey was about a decade before my remembering zone.   I have enjoyed reading your recollections of him.   He reminds me of another UT DB from the valley who went on to play in the pros named Landry.  

One of the best things about Surly is this type of service.   It's kind of like having a digital hall of honor we can open any time and share things about great people  of UT.  It's oral history turned into written.  I wish we had one board devoted to UT individuals who made an impact, great or small, so we could have our own little wikipedia here in surly for reference.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

One of the best things about Surly is this type of service.   It's kind of like having a digital hall of honor we can open any time and share things about great people  of UT.  It's oral history turned into written.

So much this. Being the only Horn in my family, hearing these stories and being able to pass down to my kid(s) is fucking awesome. 

RIP Mr. Lackey. Your story lives on

• Hook 'Em 1

Screen-Shot-2021-03-10-at-5.51.09-PM.png

I think this is also Bobby here...
november-9-1959-sports-illustrated-via-getty-images-cover-college-picture-id81375758?s=612x612

Looks like he wasn’t gonna lackey some loving later on.

And I Iove to see the story about him coming back and talking to the Weslaco kids. My dad was a kid like that - grew up in a nothing border town. But the high school had this one teacher who had gone to A&M. And he would take the school/team bus at least once a year to take the kids to Collie Station to see the campus and an aggy game. Told those boys that if he could go to college there, they could too. A whole generation of those kids followed his lead and went to college (sure, it was Aggy, but hey…college). I remember tagging along with my dad when he’d get together with his high school buddies, most of whom had gone to aggy like he did. Buncha messican kids from nowhere…and all had pretty successful lives, because one teacher showed them they could.

That’s how you give back, gentlemen. Hook’em, Lackey.
  • Hook 'Em 2