2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

Then again to be fair, if my entire posting history revolved around lying about Shaka's stats and performance, and ridiculusly claiming that no other coach could be doing any better, I too would not look forward to conversing with the one poster here who's done 100x more research than any other poster on Shaka and his perpetual failure to get his teams to even reach the baseline of their potential. It would really cramp my style to have someone constantly refuting my every assertion with facts, stats, and anecdotal evidence.

Edited by Goo Punch

For example:

From BWG:

Shaka has basically been an extension of Barnes' last 4 seasons at Texas. I think the most compelling argument someone can make about Shaka's tenure thus far is that he's performed at pretty close to the same level Barnes did in his final few years on campus. I went through and looked at a number of offensive & defensive metrics (I don't have the spreadsheet with me) and basically it boiled down to Barnes & Shaka both being really good at a couple of things, pretty good at a few others, and poor at a couple of things by design.

Lies. Bold faced lies, relying on the rest of us being too stupid and lazy to look up the stats ourselves (because he apparently doesn't have "the spreadsheets" (aka the fucking internet) with him.

Here's an excerpt from my refutation, which BWG is "above" reading or responding to. I go ahead and actually present the data, tracking where Rick and Shaka's last two Texas teams ranked nationally in the team stat categories tracked by B-R:

Barnes- 

200th or worse: 10

150th or worse: 15

top 50: 14

top 25: 11

Shaka-

200th or worse: 10

150th or worse: 23

top 50: 3

top 25: 0

do those numbers look "essentially equal" to any of you? Rick's last two years here he had some underwhelming rosters and yet they finished in the top 50 nationally in 15 categories (compared to 3 for Shaka), and finished in the top 25 nationally in 11 categories (compared to ZERO for Shaka). 

Is my point not becoming crystal clear? He tells you all that you really just don't understand what you're watching, he claims that his research proves this but is unwilling to back that up with any stats or facts, and then when presented with stats that refute his claim he just repeats that he's above responding to me. Total fucking assclown, who's done absolutely nothing to deserve the respect he's been getting. 

Edited by Goo Punch

More from BWG:

Shaka's been about like the last 6-7 years of Barnes. 

he keeps repeating this as if it isn't total horseshit. here what some rudimentary fact finding shows:

Barnes' last 6-7 years:

22 wins per year, 66-54 in conference, done with lowly rated rosters and recruits

Shaka since then:

20-13 is his *best* season, he's 27-36 in the league (16-29 without Barnes' players), and he's done this with three consecutive top 8 national recruiting classes, plus the league is way down this year.

BWG is a self important twat with pro-Shaka agenda who thinks you're all too fucking stupid to know any better. I can't stress this enough- everything he says is bullshir, and should've taken as seriously as if cameltoe said it. This isn't some opinion of mine, it's a fact. His takes range from disingenuous to straight up lies. This clown and act should not be welcome here. 

Edited by Goo Punch

here's *another* example of him repeating the same bullshit:

a significant number of fans think these teams are somewhere between mediocre and terrible when most metrics say they're more like "good, but not as good as you want them to be". Shaka's program has yet to find 4th gear, and 3rd gear is good enough to get them into the tourney most years but not good enough to make the kind of run we all want to see in March. Will they ever consistently find 4th gear? Maybe, maybe not. Which leads me to the point I don't think enough people are talking about: Shaka has basically been an extension of Barnes' last 4 seasons at Texas.

Lets break this down: 

"most metrics say Texas has been "good" under Shaka"- what fucking metrics are you talking about? you keep referring to the metrics and the data but you refuse to actually cite any of it you fucking twat. do you mean metrics like these:

a3f7837aaaf942690ce780becf110088.jpg

e13fdc912cb281b3937bbade68e99034.jpg

38caf61fe3cba86b0822c5c3df4df868.jpg

bad32e67d3b910ecf5336955625f0a10.jpg

and again, as i've irrefutably proven, your asinine take that "Shaka has been equal to Barnes' last several years" is bullshit, and your repeated contention that our fans need to take a long hard look and ask ourselves as if we're being unreasonable to ask if we can do better than Shaka, is both insulting and completely retarded. Same goes for your contention that "Barnes had 6-7 good years that no other UT coach has lived up to, therefore we should never expect to be that good again." Fuck off. You're an uninformed asshole and a Shaka Smart Stan. You should change your handle to "Long Winded Cameltoe". 

Edited by Goo Punch

Just now, jeevsie said:

Soooo.....this team is not performing well and the consensus is Shaka is not the man for the job.

What's to argue about?

I couldn't agree more, but BWG LWC (Long Winded Cameltoe) has about 10,000 things he'd like to say about that. None of them are substantive or even accurate, but he's ready to argue nonetheless.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, BWG is making this thread unreadable with all his long winded argumentative screeds.  I just scroll and scroll, but it’s still BWG post after BWG post.  

Why can’t he just chill and accept other people might disagree with him about UT basketball without flying off the handle and making it personal?   Instead BWG just keeps posting and posting the same thing over and over again.  How many posts does he have on this page alone?  

I concede that you're right. I'll simply say this- both of us can be right. And in fact that is the case here- i'm right and you're right as well. BWG came here and started shit with me, and his takes are straight out of the cameltoe/wescott eberts playbook. he's also smug and condescending. i'm not wrong about any of that. but that doesn't negate the fact that i went full retard in retaliation.

still, you're right. i'm fucking the thread up. i've taken the bait, and i've gone full derka. for all the progress i've made i still do "go derka" every now and then, and i'm not proud of it. i stand by every single word that i've said on BWG and his attitude/takes, but you're absolutely right, i'm fucking the thread up. it's not a legit excuse, but the best i can say for myself is that i've progressed to the point where, if you remain civil with me i'll do the same to you. i'll genuinely try to continue improving, but for now i still have problems handling anything that i perceive to be unwarranted shit-talk or derision towards me. still, i acknowledge that i was wrong to go off like that; i need to do better. i apologize. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 5

Texas just needs a few more wins and they will make the tourney. Bottom line, is nobody near the bubble is going to have the quality wins that Texas has on the resume. Still think 8-10 in the Big 12 gets Texas in. @K-State, UNC on a neutral court, Kansas at home, Purdue at home, and Baylor at home. Nobody near the bubble is going to have those type wins. 

Biggest issue with this team is inconsistency but we've looked good these last 3 games. Win against Kansas (tourney team), close loss to Iowa State on the road (Sweet 16/elite 8 caliber team), and dominated Baylor (tourney team). Hopefully, this continues. 

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If this team wants to show they've truly turned the corner, they'll win in Morgantown going away, but I'll take any win on the road at this point.

Two of the bottom tier teams in the league on the road in the next 4 (OU and WV). They need to win one of these. We're a bad road team so if they've taken the next step these are the games they have to start winning. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Two of the bottom tier teams in the league on the road in the next 4 (OU and WV). They need to win one of these. We're a bad road team so if they've taken the next step these are the games they have to start winning. 

Have to beat Pokes at home too. 

47 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas just needs a few more wins and they will make the tourney. Bottom line, is nobody near the bubble is going to have the quality wins that Texas has on the resume. Still think 8-10 in the Big 12 gets Texas in. @K-State, UNC on a neutral court, Kansas at home, Purdue at home, and Baylor at home. Nobody near the bubble is going to have those type wins. 

Biggest issue with this team is inconsistency but we've looked good these last 3 games. Win against Kansas (tourney team), close loss to Iowa State on the road (Sweet 16/elite 8 caliber team), and dominated Baylor (tourney team). Hopefully, this continues. 

at this point i would be shocked if we didn't make the tourney. as you've said the bubble is exceptionally weak this year, and as frustrating as our worst losses have been we have more than enough quality wins to warrant a spot in the field. if we can replicate tonight's performance with any consistency then we could actually fuck around and replicate 2011 VCU, which obviously wouldn't be the worst thing- a team that performed below its talent level during the regular season, but a team talented enough to make a deep run if they do play their best ball when it counts. As bad as I want Shaka gone, I want to make a deep tourney run even more than I want that. We have been playing better, and if we keep it going then Shaka will rightly afford himself another year to improve. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

As bad as I want Shaka gone, I want to make a deep tourney run even more than I want that. We have been playing better, and if we keep it going then Shaka will rightly afford himself another year to improve. 

I don't think Shaka will be fired regardless because of the buyout. The more I've thought about this I think it would be better off for him to survive another year anyways. 

Get Will Baker (might not be a one and done), Kai Jones, and Donovan Williams on campus. 

If Shaka is fired a year from now Hepa, Ramey, Will Baker, Kai Jones, and Donovan Williams is talent to work with. Biggest thing that scares me about firing Shaka this year is losing this recruiting class. It's pretty damn loaded. 

Edited by texasstrong12

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think Shaka will be fired regardless because of the buyout. The more I've thought about this I think it would be better off for him to survive another year anyways. 

Get Will Baker (might not be a one and done), Kai Jones, and Donovan Williams on campus. 

If Shaka is fired a year from now Hepa, Ramey, Will Baker, Kai Jones, and Donovan Williams is talent to work with. Biggest thing that scares me about firing Shaka this year is losing this recruiting class. It's pretty damn loaded. 

I agree. That's always been the biggest thing that's given me pause- I don't want to lose any of our recruits. 

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Neil Berry + Hayes and Ramey = a much improved offense. 

Ramey might be our best perimeter defender. Pretty much shut down Makai Mason tonight (1/7 from the field). If not for the dumb Roach foul on the closeout 3 pointer Mason would have only scored 2 points tonight. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Ramey might be our best perimeter defender. Pretty much shut down Makai Mason tonight (1/7 from the field). If not for the dumb Roach foul on the closeout 3 pointer Mason would have only scored 2 points tonight. 

I think his elbow was what shut down Makai Mason tonight.

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

True but if we lose that game we don't deserve to make the tournament. They aren't the same team that beat us in Stillwater and they were already pretty bad. They dismissed like 3 or 4 players off the team from earlier in the year. 

I'm just saying, this team takes 2 steps forward (beating UNC and playing MSU tough) and a giant leap back (losing to Radford) all too often.  We open Big 12 play 2-0 with a win in Manhattan and then drop 5 of our next 6, including losing to a god awful Georgia team.

Beating KU, losing by 5 to ISU and beating Baylor -> losing to WVa would not surprise anyone on this planet with 2 functioning eyes and a brain with firing neurons.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm just saying, this team takes 2 steps forward (beating UNC and playing MSU tough) and a giant leap back (losing to Radford) all too often.  We open Big 12 play 2-0 with a win in Manhattan and then drop 5 of our next 6, including losing to a god awful Georgia team.

Beating KU, losing by 5 to ISU and beating Baylor -> losing to WVa would not surprise anyone on this planet with 2 functioning eyes and a brain with firing neurons.

Winning in Manhattan isn't that impressive when you consider that they were shorthanded. Beating them in Austin when they're at full strength would be an excellent result.

Losing to teams like WV and OU on the road are much more likely than losing to Oklahoma State at home. 

We're a pretty good team at home and I would say WV and OU are better teams than Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State is down to like 7 scholarship players right now. Oklahoma State is also 1-6 on the road. 

WV is still a tough out on the road. They beat Kansas at home just a couple weeks ago. 

teamrankings gives us these win percentages. @ WV (56.6%), @ OU (34.3%) and Oklahoma State (84%). 

So as of right now we're big favorites against OK State, slight favorites against WV, and pretty big underdogs against OU. 

I would say these are fair but I wouldn't have us that big of underdogs against OU. 

Did anyone find it interesting that Hepa and Liddell played the final 7 seconds with the walk-ons?  Smart has not done a good job in developing the freshman this year.  Liddell should have been redshirted, if Smart wasn't going to use him.  I think Hepa should have been used more frequently in the non-conference to get him acclimated to the speed of the game.  Hayes and Ramey are just flat out better than Sims and Long, so credit to Shaka for moving them to the starting lineup.  And unfortunately for Long, Texas is better with him not on the floor.

1 minute ago, dogbreath said:

Did anyone find it interesting that Hepa and Liddell played the final 7 seconds with the walk-ons?  Smart has not done a good job in developing the freshman this year. Liddell should have been redshirted, if Smart wasn't going to use him.  I think Hepa should have been used more frequently in the non-conference to get him acclimated to the speed of the game.  Hayes and Ramey are just flat out better than Sims and Long, so credit to Shaka for moving them to the starting lineup.  And unfortunately for Long, Texas is better with him not on the floor.

I don't think he's developed a single player since he's been here. player growth has been virtually nonexistent. but you're right, his usage of freshmen often makes zero sense whatsoever, and in fact many of his personnel decisions have been totally nonsensical, although he's probably doing better at it right now than he ever has here. just a couple of the many reasons why he's clearly not the right guy to run the program. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

3 teams right on the bubble look like they are going down tonight (ASU, UCF and Indiana). 

ASU with a brutal loss at home to 8-14 Washington State. 

All 3 lost tonight and they were in Lunardi's "last 4 bye" group. Gives you a good idea of the bubble. All these teams are losing. 

You can probably eliminate San Francisco from the bubble after tonight. They needed to beat Gonzaga as that was one of their few opportunities to get a quality win. 

@ WV (will likely finish as a quad 2 loss or win)

Kansas State (will likely finish as a quad 2 loss or win. This could become a quad 1 result though)

Oklahoma State (will likely finish as a quad 3 loss or win)

@ OU (will likely finish as a quad 1 loss or win)

@ Baylor (will likely finish as a quad 1 loss or win)

Iowa State (will likely finish as a quad 1 loss or win)

@ Texas Tech (will likely finish as a quad 1 loss or win)

TCU (will likely finish as a quad 2 loss or win) 

This is the remaining schedule and how it lines up with the quadrant system. We have four or five more opportunities for a quad 1 win. The key is avoiding the quad 3 loss at home to Oklahoma State. OU and WV aren't great teams by any means but they wouldn't be terrible losses on the road. 

There will probably be other opportunities for quad 1 results in the big 12 tourney. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I would've liked Matthew Mayer over Liddell. I didn't realize he was as tall as he is. I always heard him described as a PG for some reason. He's gonna be nice in the coming years.  

I would definitely take Mayer over Liddell but I don't think he will have much success if Baylor plays him on the perimeter defensively. He couldn't guard any of our perimeter players off the dribble. 

I guess I shouldn't say "much success". I think he will just be a limited role player. Scorer type off the bench. 

Mayer is only playing 13 minutes a game and those numbers are higher than what they were probably going to be until a couple of injuries. I think Wed night showed why. Right now he's too small to guard anyone in the post and too slow to guard anyone on the perimeter. He can score and shoot though. 

If they can bulk Meyer up into a stretch 4 I like his potential much more than as a guard. I'm not sure he has the athleticism to guard anyone on the perimeter. 

Edited by texasstrong12