2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

5 hours ago, VinyVango said:

I get the strength of schedule / RPI analysis and all, but a loss is a loss.  Unless we close the season out with at least 2 wins, we don't deserve a NCAA bid over small conference teams with good records who might get edged for their conference auto-bid.  I'd rather see a 24-25 win, no-name team get a chance over a underachieving, inconsistent team with "good losses".

Don't worry this team is likely going 0-4, though they might win a game in the conference tournament.

7 hours ago, VinyVango said:

I get the strength of schedule / RPI analysis and all, but a loss is a loss.  Unless we close the season out with at least 2 wins, we don't deserve a NCAA bid over small conference teams with good records who might get edged for their conference auto-bid.  I'd rather see a 24-25 win, no-name team get a chance over a underachieving, inconsistent team with "good losses".

This isn't just Texas related but I don't agree with this. Murray State is the perfect example of a team that everyone bitches about. They will finish with around 25 wins but they have absolutely nothing on their resume.

0-2 against Q1 teams. They played 2 bubble teams in Q1 (Auburn/Alabama) and lost both. They then played two meh teams in Q2  (Belmont/Austin Peay) and went 1-1 with a 2 point win over Austin Peay. Austin Peay is just in Q2 too. They are #125 in NET so if they fall to #135 in NET they are in Q3. 

Then Murray State has the #289 strength of schedule. I find it more ridiculous that people want to give small school teams bids that can't beat average teams like Alabama, Auburn and Belmont while playing one of the worst schedules in college basketball. If you play a shit schedule beat one of the decent teams you play. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah but Ja Morant.

Morant is a beast but Murray State isn't deserving of an at large bid. 

Wofford is definitely deserving of an at large bid IMO. Maybe Utah State. If Utah State beats Nevada at home I think they should probably get an at large. After that I have a hard time seeing how any of the other small school types are deserving of an at large. 

......................................................................................................................................

Lipscomb (#205 SOS/2-3 Q1 record). With 6 losses including to meh teams like Belmont, Liberty and FGCU. 

Belmont (#222 SOS/2-1 Q1 record). Their 2 Q1 wins are against Lipscomb and Murray State. Belmont likely doesn't have a win over a single team that will get an at large bid. 

SF (#137 SOS/0-4 Q1 record). No chance they get an at large with 7 losses and no good wins. 

ST Mary's (#44 SOS/1-5 Q1 record). They have a combined 3-7 record against Q1 and Q2 teams. With 10 losses. Really not sure how they are even considered to be a bubble team but the bubble does suck. 

Davidson (#112 SOS/0-3 Q1 record). No chance with 0 Q1 wins and 7 losses. 

UNCG (#123 SOS/1-5 Q1 record). No chance

Furman (#204 SOS/1-5 Q1 record). No chance 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but, what kind of Texas alumni or fan prefers a situation in which some no-name team gets a bid over us? I don't care how shitty we might be.  I just want to see my school in the brackets.

It's a valid question.  Believe it or not, I am about as hardcore a Texas basketball fan as you can find.  I don't prefer any team get a bid over us, just don't think we deserve an at-large bid if we don't hit 17 wins.  The repetitious errors, stubborn ineffective rotations, highly inconsistent display of fundamentals, shallow game planning and piss poor end game management has caused a sour mood to eclipse my optimism this year.  3 or 4 more wins this year would get me excited about an 8-9 or 7-10 or 6-11 match-up in the NCAA tourney.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

This isn't just Texas related but I don't agree with this. Murray State is the perfect example of a team that everyone bitches about. They will finish with around 25 wins but they have absolutely nothing on their resume.

0-2 against Q1 teams. They played 2 bubble teams in Q1 (Auburn/Alabama) and lost both. They then played two meh teams in Q2  (Belmont/Austin Peay) and went 1-1 with a 2 point win over Austin Peay. Austin Peay is just in Q2 too. They are #125 in NET so if they fall to #135 in NET they are in Q3. 

Then Murray State has the #289 strength of schedule. I find it more ridiculous that people want to give small school teams bids that can't beat average teams like Alabama, Auburn and Belmont while playing one of the worst schedules in college basketball. If you play a shit schedule beat one of the decent teams you play. 

It feels like we have gone too far in the opposite direction of how it was done thirty years ago. It used to be any ACC or Big Ten or Big East school with 17 wins was in. Now it seems-- seems-- like small schools with good W-L records get in and those ACC/Big Ten schools go to the NIT.

This may be more perception than reality.

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but, what kind of Texas alumni or fan prefers a situation in which some no-name team gets a bid over us? I don't care how shitty we might be.  I just want to see my school in the brackets.

This.

March Madness without my school in it sucks.  

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Also, March Madness with Texas in it sucks because they're one and done for too long now.  

Would rather have the possibility of winning a (few) game(s) than sitting at home and winning 0, guaranteed.  Crazier things have happened in March, but they don't happen if your team is sitting on their couches instead of playing. 

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Would rather have the possibility of winning a (few) game(s) than sitting at home and winning 0, guaranteed.  Crazier things have happened in March, but they don't happen if your team is sitting on their couches instead of playing. 

I agree completely.  

I'm just sick of watching Texas basketball flounder year after year.  

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Exactly,  this same guy went to the final 4 with a team that had no business making the tournament. There's always a chance as long as you get in.  

Get in

See where you get seeded - it's all about matchups

Let chaos and upsets happen 

11 hours ago, VinyVango said:

It's a valid question.  Believe it or not, I am about as hardcore a Texas basketball fan as you can find.  I don't prefer any team get a bid over us, just don't think we deserve an at-large bid if we don't hit 17 wins.  The repetitious errors, stubborn ineffective rotations, highly inconsistent display of fundamentals, shallow game planning and piss poor end game management has caused a sour mood to eclipse my optimism this year.  3 or 4 more wins this year would get me excited about an 8-9 or 7-10 or 6-11 match-up in the NCAA tourney.

That's how I interpreted your post. You're no doubt one of the more passionate, hardcore UT hoops fans around here so I assumed you were saying that on paper we wouldn't deserve a bid despite us fans obviously wanting to see Texas in the tourney. I remember for example, it was either last year or the year before iirc that a Syracuse team that I vehemently did not believe deserved a bit not only got in but went on a run once they did get in. Of course the Cuse fans used that as evidence that they deserved a bid, but my feeling is that if you were that good to begin with three you should have earned a bid over the course of your 30 game schedule. 

Edited by Goo Punch

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Was that one of the expected losses or are we now expected to go 1-3?

Yeah, Iowa State and TCU aren't good teams on the road. Iowa State is 5-4 on the road and TCU is 2-7 on the road. 

We're also a bad team on the road (2-7) which is why we were underdogs against @ OU, @ Baylor and will be at @ Tech. 

On 2/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, Js1 said:

You always want to dance. Our 2014 baseball team is a perfect example. We finished the year losing 3/4 Big 12 series and a 13-11 record in the Big 12. We were a meh team at best in the regular season and Big 12 tournament play. 

We got hot at the right time and were a couple plays away from making the national title series. 

37 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, Iowa State and TCU aren't good teams on the road. Iowa State is 5-4 on the road and TCU is 2-7 on the road. 

We're also a bad team on the road (2-7) which is why we were underdogs against @ OU, @ Baylor and will be at @ Tech. 

ISU isn't a bad road team either. They don't have any bad road losses, and aside from a 14 point loss to a good Iowa team their next worst loss is a 4 point loss to KU at the Phog. I'm not crazy about our chances in that game.

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

I think we're expected to win our two home games and lose the two road games.

correct, blowing a 19-pt lead on the road and choking away a winnable game in OT doesn't change anything even a little bit. this is what Smart's teams do. 

listening to Smart crow about this season being a success when we ooze into the NCAAs at 17-15 and lose in the first round is going to be like listening to a politician you hate explain why something that is bad is actually really good. No no we don't want the economy to overheat, 0.7% growth is really good. Wage stagnation, what, have you looked at GDP growth?

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

ISU isn't a bad road team either. They don't have any bad road losses, and aside from a 14 point loss to a good Iowa team their next worst loss is a 4 point loss to KU at the Phog. I'm not crazy about our chances in that game.

I'm not saying we win but Iowa State hasn't looked very good in the last few weeks. 

2-3 in their last 5 with losses X2 to TCU and Baylor at home. They beat K-State on the road but that game is deceiving because Wade was injured. The OU game was closer than the final score indicated too. 

Like I said, I'm not saying we win but this Iowa State team hasn't looked like the team from a few months ago. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm not saying we win but Iowa State hasn't looked very good in the last few weeks. 

2-3 in their last 5 with losses X2 to TCU and Baylor at home. They beat K-State on the road but that game is deceiving because Wade was injured. The OU game was closer than the final score indicated too. 

Like I said, I'm not saying we win but this Iowa State team hasn't looked like the team from a few months ago. 

None of that matters when Shaka Smart is on the other sideline.

OU had lost like 6 of 7 before beating us. Shaka is the slumpbuster for Big 12 coaches.

37 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Heard some gossip on Chip's show this morning. Behind the scenes, Shaka is blaming Jai Lucas for Roach.

how does Smart "blame" him? Like "if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have recruited Roach and I'd already be fired"...? Or does he think blame Roach's behavior on someone other than a) Roach and b) the head fucking coach?

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

how does Smart "blame" him? Like "if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have recruited Roach and I'd already be fired"...? Or does he think blame Roach's behavior on someone other than a) Roach and b) the head fucking coach?

Shaka comes from the Charlie Strong school of coaching: show no direction, no vision, no leadership, and when the season flies off the rails, blame players and assistant coaches.

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Heard some gossip on Chip's show this morning. Behind the scenes, Shaka is blaming Jai Lucas for Roach.

Shaka is the dumb fuck who made a guy with LITERALLY ZERO COACHING EXPERIENCE OF ANY KIND one of his top assistants. but it wouldn't surprise me to see Shaka pointing the blame elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't see how CBS can have us as first team out unless they think Big 12 doesn't deserve 6 teams in.

That's going to change, anyway.

We had finally entered the danger zone with a low 10 seed on BracketMatrix, but picking up another Q1 win is a big boost for us.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

This team is going to make the tourney, and it is going to go exactly as far as Jase Febres takes it. I obviously never expected to be saying that this March, but that's what the season has told us- if Jase is unconscious from deep then we can beat at least 3/4 of the field. If he's not then it's almost a guarantee that we'll be in a close, ugly game no matter who we play. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

That's going to change, anyway.

We had finally entered the danger zone with a low 10 seed on BracketMatrix, but picking up another Q1 win is a big boost for us.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Teams right above us also lost yesterday. Ohio State, Florida, and NC State. St. Johns could also lose today. 

I'm not saying you throw in the towel against Tech but Texas needs to avoid injuries tonight. The much more winnable game is at home against an undermanned TCU team that's 2-7 on the road. 

TCU is  down to about 7 players right now. Bane, Noi and Robinson have been logging huge minutes for several weeks now.