2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

On 2/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, texasstrong12 said:

This 5 game stretch will determine if we make the tournament. This is the easiest stretch in Big 12 play IMO. 

Baylor

@ WV

K-State

Oklahoma State

@ OU

3 winnable games at home and 2 of the easier road games in the Big 12. The key is holding home court. Win all 5 of those and they will get a bid but there are some winnable games on the road. We've probably played 3 out of the 4 toughest road games so far (Kansas, Iowa State and K-State). 

2-0 start. 

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Play like we have the last four games and we'll finish in the top half of the conference for sure.

Fyi, I don't really count Shaka's first team as one of "his" teams, and with that said I think this is the best we've played since Shaka (and "his" teams) took over. We can still be slow and ugly at times, but it's happening less and less, and the stretches of good play are happening more and more. If we keep this up we should avoid being an 8 or 9'seed and having to face a Duke, UVA, Kentucky type team. 

3-4 in the last 7 should be very doable if Ramey and Roach keep shooting well. 

Matt Coleman still befuddles me.  He can't get by guys consistently.  he's just an average Big 12 point guard at this point.  he's not bad by any stretch but I expected him to be much more of a facilitator than he is.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

3-4 in the last 7 should be very doable if Ramey and Roach keep shooting well. 

Matt Coleman still befuddles me.  He can't get by guys consistently.  he's just an average Big 12 point guard at this point.  he's not bad by any stretch but I expected him to be much more of a facilitator than he is.

Matt Coleman has been inconsistent as hell but I thought he was good tonight even though he didn't score many points. 

Coleman has been pushing tempo a lot more which is why our offense is looking better. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Matt Coleman has been inconsistent as hell but I thought he was good tonight even though he didn't score many points. 

Coleman has been pushing tempo a lot more which is why our offense is looking better. 

I agree he was fine tonight.  He's just not what I thought he was going to be...yet. and yes it is the inconsistency that is a problem.

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The college basketball product has really fallen if this Texas 🏀 team thus far this Season is ranked #21 or #23 in any legitimate ranking system.

Glad to see guard play has been better.  Not sure why more teams aren't playing more zone against this poor offensive Horns squad.  To Beat the Horns defense, just get the Ball within 12 feet of the basket, pump fake and draw fouls.

Edited by LTtxfan

43 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Have a huge opportunity coming up to finish strong on the season. K-st isn't great on the road so maybe we can pull one out.

Did not see 1st K-State game where Texas won 67-47.  Would someone please provide info on keys to that Horns victory vs K-State Jan 2nd?

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The college basketball product has really fallen if this Texas 🏀 team thus far this Season is ranked #21 or #23 in any legitimate ranking system.

Glad to see guard play has been better.  Not sure why more teams aren't playing more zone against this poor offensive Horns squad.  To Beat the Horns defense, just get the Ball within 12 feet of the basket, pump fake and draw fouls.

Not all teams practice zone enough to be good at it.

We are also quietly becoming a competent shooting team. Makes zone less viable.

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not all teams practice zone enough to be good at it.

We are also quietly becoming a competent shooting team. Makes zone less viable.

Agree.  We are also making some adjustments like having Coleman in the middle of the zone and the zone collapses and he can pass out to wings.  But the biggest thing in Texas' recent play is Ramey operating and shooting at a high level.  And when Osetkowski goes ofer, we are not relying on him to create any offense as we did last year or earlier in the season.

I've kept up with KenPom's schedule projections especially closely this year, and all year long they've had us beating KU, playing ISU close, and going 4-0 on our current stretch from BU to OSU. So the fact that we've lived up to that to this point isn't all that surprising- but the way we've looked in doing so is. This is the best stretch of basketball that we've played under Shaka since he's had his own players. The right players have been getting the right minutes for a while now, and it appears that everyone- including DO and even Sims- is responding well to having more defined roles. If Shaka could figure out what he wants to do with Hamm then I think we'd be set.

Also, I will gladly give credit where credit is due. I've been vocally critical of Shaka's assistant hidings and their lack of a tangible impact on player performance and development, but it appears to me from the outside that Neil Berry has brought an offensive system that this team can run efficiently, and that the additions of Berry, Hayes, and Ramey have done wonders for our team. If Coleman and/or Roach could be consistent and Jones could have been healthy then I dare say that we could have made a run at the conference title this year. We appear to finally have found some consistency on that end of the floor, and the team looks much improved.

Here is our remaining schedule:

2e14fc07aab7e9c5ba00b53b92df0fe6.jpg

Six games against the top 40, three of them on the road. I'm not so much concerned about our exact W/L during this stretch as I am with how we look during this stretch. If we continue to play the way we've been playing the last few weeks then we're a good shooting day or two from making some postseason noise. It's been much nicer to watch this team lately.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Also we went 14/27 from 3 point land and if basically anyone in the country shoots like that they will win every game and even if they had dean wade we would have won shooting like that.

Febres was something like 7for9 and like 5 of them came in the latter half of the 2nd half.  We broke open a back and forth game with a blitzkrieg of 3s in the last 7 or 8 minutes of the game.  

This is a glimpse at the bubble. You have to find about 16 teams (8 seed on) out of this group.

The bubble might shrink of course if there are bid thieves but there are also going to be teams out of this group that exclude themselves based on conference record. For example, Indiana is 4-9 in the Big 10 and OU is 3-8 in the Big 12.

Texas (#5 SOS, 4 Q1 wins, 8 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Baylor (#59 SOS, 3 Q1 wins, 9 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Washington (#55 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Oklahoma (#11 SOS, 3 Q1 wins, 8 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Ohio State (#56 SOS, 4 Q1 wins, 7 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Syracuse (#28 SOS, 2 Q1 wins, 5 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

TCU (#27 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

St. Johns (#63 SOS, 4 Q1 wins, 7 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Ole Miss (#80 SOS, 3 Q1 wins, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Minnesota (#64 SOS, 3 Q1 wins, 7 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

NC State (#249 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Indiana (#31 SOS, 4 Q1 wins, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Alabama (#23 SOS, 2 Q1 wins, 8 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Arizona State (#73 SOS, 3 Q1 wins, 7 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

UCF (#101 SOS, 0 Q1 wins, 4 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Seton Hall (#39 SOS, 2 Q1 wins, 9 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Temple (#57 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

VCU (#34 SOS, 1 Q1 wins, 3 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Lipscomb (#215 SOS, 2 Q1 wins, 4 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Wofford (#158 SOS, 2 Q1 wins, 5 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Utah State (#117 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 3 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Nebraska (#79 SOS, 2 Q1 wins, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Florida (#29 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 5 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)
Clemson (#25 SOS, 2 Q1 wins, 4 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Butler (#30 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 7 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Creighton (#10 SOS, 2 Q1 wins, 5 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Arkansas (#43 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 3 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

UNC-Greensboro (#187 SOS, 1 Q1 win, 2 combined Q1 and Q2 wins)

Edited by texasstrong12

11 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Agree.  We are also making some adjustments like having Coleman in the middle of the zone and the zone collapses and he can pass out to wings.  But the biggest thing in Texas' recent play is Ramey operating and shooting at a high level.  And when Osetkowski goes ofer, we are not relying on him to create any offense as we did last year or earlier in the season.

The key with Osetkowski is to keep him off the perimeter. He actually has some value as a big guy that does the dirty work. 

WV is a good example. Osetkowski was atrocious from the field but he did some good things on the defensive end and on the boards. If Osetkowski rebounds like he did against WV that's all we really want. 

Osetkowski deserves his share of criticism but the one thing I will say about him is I don't think he's soft. He will battle on the boards and defensive end. 

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Did not see 1st K-State game where Texas won 67-47.  Would someone please provide info on keys to that Horns victory vs K-State Jan 2nd?

1) K-State didn't have Stokes or Wade against Texas. Their starting guard (Stokes) and arguably the best player in the Big 12 (Wade). This is completely different team than the one we played in Manhattan. 

2) Texas should run a lot of zone against K-State. That's how we beat them on the road.

They were 6/18 from 3 and we played a lot of 2-3 zone. K-State is #237 in 3 point shooting percentage so they really struggle to shoot. We are a better shooting team than K-State and that's a rarity. 

Wade is their only above average 3 point shooter and he's not a high volume guy from 3. 

3) K-State is #143 in adjusted offense and #6 in adjusted defense. They win games with their defense in the half court. The key in this game is to run because K-State wants to play slow and suffocate you in the half court. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

swap Georgia and Kansas, we're right about where I thought we'd be when we were speculating four weeks ago

cameltoe and greggagym will be back shortly

then we'll lose a few and they'll be gone again

I thought with 19 wins and a .500 record in the B12, we'd get in. If we finish 10-8 in the Big 12 (which, thanks to the KU win, seems credibly possible), I'm certain of it. And texasstrong is right, Shaka is not going anywhere w/that buyout if we make the NCAA Tournament.

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

swap Georgia and Kansas, we're right about where I thought we'd be when we were speculating four weeks ago

I thought with 19 wins and a .500 record in the B12, we'd get in. If we finish 10-8 in the Big 12 (which, thanks to the KU win, seems credibly possible), I'm certain of it. And texasstrong is right, Shaka is not going anywhere w/that buyout if we make the NCAA Tournament.

The reason that I disappeared for a few weeks is because I buried my little sister you piece of trash.

Tim Preston on Ramey

New
It started in the loss at TCU, oddly enough. Prior to that game in Fort Worth, the 6'3 freshman combo guard had taken only 40 shots inside the arc and hit 16 of them (40%). Over that same period, he had attempted 54 three point shots, making 17 (31%).

During those first 18 games of his initial season in Austin, Ramey had the look of a player who was going to be very good to super good during his tenure on the 40 Acres. For an offense that needs its playmakers to "check boxes", he had pen in hand for many of them.

Handle the ball in space? Check
Handle the ball in traffic? Check
Shoot from three? Check
Shoot from the foul line? Check
Create for others? Check
Move in the open floor? Check
Finish in the open floor? Check
Defend in man? Check
Defend on switches? Check
Defend in zone? Check

Penetrate and finish in the lane? ...

That was missing. And, not missing like Eli Mitrou-Long gets into the lane but can't convert. No. Missing as in, not even trying to get to the lane to finish at the rim.

When Courtney was penetrating, it was essentially always as a creator for others as opposed to as an opportunity to get himself a look at the basket.

Then we played at TCU.

Ramey's numbers were far from eye opening (4/11 over all; 2/6 inside the arc; 2/5 from deep; 0/0 at the foul line; 5 assists; 3 turnovers; 3 steals; 2 rebounds). Solid. Unspectacular. Important for a very specific reason.

His next few games sort of followed suit:

Georgia: 19pts - 7/15 overall; 2/7 from two; 5/8 from three; 0/0 on free throws; 5 ast; 1 stl; 2 t0s; 0 rebs)
Kansas: 9 pts - 3/5 overall; 0/0 from two; 3/5 from three; 0/0 on free throws; 1 ast; 1 stl; 3 tos; 2 rebs)
ISU: 6 pts - 2/9 overall; 0/3 from two; 2/6 from three; 0/0 on free throws; 1 ast; 1 stl; 2 tos; 4 rebs)
Baylor: 10 pts - 3/7 overall; 2/4 from two; 1/3 from three; 3/5 on free throws; 4 ast; 2 stl; 1 to; 3 rebs)
WVU: 19 pts - 7/12 overall; 2/6 from two; 5/6 from three; 0/0 on free throws; 4 ast; 1 stl; 0 to; 5 rebs)

In short, Ramey was 33/94 overall in the first 18 games of the year (35% and an average of 5.2 field goal attempts per game). Over the last six games, he's 26/59 overall (44% and an average of 9.8 field goal attempts per game).

Again, sizable upticks, but only really important for a couple of reasons. 

1. Even as his two-point field goal percentage has dropped, Ramey's willingness to take the ball all the way to the basket has added an important wrinkle to the team.

2. The loss of point production from Eli and Dylan is getting absorbed by Courtney.

We don't need Courtney to be special. We simply need him to keep attacking.

And, sure, if he's going to hit anywhere close to the 57% from deep that he's been rifling at over the last six games, that'll help a ton, but we didn't need him to shoot 5/6 from the outside to get the win over WVU. We win that game easily if he's 1/6 from deep, right?

But the biggest thing about Courtney playing like he has been is that he creates a defensive crisis for opposing coaches. If this is the Ramey that is playing for Texas as the season winds down, what are teams supposed to do?

Whom do you assign your best perimeter defender to if Ramey plays this well?

Coleman? Okay, then Roach and Ramey will have a field day attacking your weaker backcourt players.

Roach? Okay, then Coleman and Ramey are left to attack the lane at their will and are Texas' two best hard bounce shooters.

Ramey? Okay, then Roach will get to the rim whenever he wants and Coleman can be the facilitator we all want for him to be.

Zone? Well, over those same six games, we've shot 42% from three as a team.

Options!

The potential downside?

Well, Ramey is a freshman. Freshman are difficult to count on even under the best of circumstances.

KSU (#6 adjusted defense, nationally) wasn't in that group of teams we played. Tech (#1) wasn't, either.

But, the key is that Courtney's game appears to be evolving. There's no doubt that he's more comfortable as a penetrator. There's no doubt that instead of simply probing with the dribble, he's assessing the defense and finding spots to attack. There's no doubt that his confidence as a shooter is through the roof.

Even the way he finished that alley-oop in transition showcased a player whose self-belief is soaring.

That's all meant to say that I believe the rough games that are upcoming for him (they'll be there, no doubt) will simply be what they are...rough games, not some kind of reversion to a lesser mean.

Two months ago, I wrote about Shaka giving Kerwin the chance to be the scoring guard this team needs.

Today, I'm writing that Kerwin may well be giving this team the exact type of playmaking and scoring I was hoping for (16.6 pts, 3 rebs, 2.5 asts on 45/40/77 shooting). 

I'm also writing that the biggest reason Kerwin's getting that opportunity is because a freshman combo guard is playing like a veteran with big upside.

Here's to renewed expectations!

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Correct.

47 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I wonder if we went on a winning streak and say went 5-2 down the stretch putting us at 19-12 and 11-7 in the big 12 what type of seed that would get us? 7 seed?

How fucking nice would that be.  Get us out the 8/9 line and having to face a #1 if we win.  (Big if, given our tournament history)

But also, we've shown we can play with very good teams.  So who the fuck knows.  But I'd rather face the 2 than the 1. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

How fucking nice would that be.  Get us out the 8/9 line and having to face a #1 if we win.  (Big if, given our tournament history)

But also, we've shown we can play with very good teams.  So who the fuck knows.  But I'd rather face the 2 than the 1. 

The tournament committee would devour the chance to put a 8/9-seed Texas in Tennessee's bracket, while my insides would turn into the deleted scenes from a Tool video.

17 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

The tournament committee would devour the chance to put a 8/9-seed Texas in Tennessee's bracket, while my insides would turn into the deleted scenes from a Tool video.

I had the same thought, and that exact scenario is the no.1 reason i'm praying we avoid an 8/9 seed, assuming Tennessee gets a no.1 seed. Either way it could be close on selection sunday.