2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. We are still way in the tourney. WAY in. We still have a lot of bed shitting to do before we start feeling the heat. I don't think some people understand what it means to play in the Big XII, not to mention having beaten Carolina and Purdue in non conference. I will be shocked if we miss the tournament, and I think that Shaka could fuck up just about anything. For real y'all- it's too early to panic. Right now we need to be worried about how badly UVA/UK/Duke/Michigan/Tennesee is going to beat us if we happen to win our first round game. 

I think right now we might be trending for a 10 seed. We have 3 likely losses left on our schedule. Not to worry though, based on Shaka’s history, a second game in the tournament probably won’t happen.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Oklahoma State is a must win. They aren't good. They beat us in Stillwater a few weeks ago but they dismissed 3 or 4 players from the team since that game. If you can't win this game you don't deserve to make the tournament. 

Even if we win, we don’t deserve to be in the tournament, but we probably will be.

• Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. We are still way in the tourney. WAY in. We still have a lot of bed shitting to do before we start feeling the heat. I don't think some people understand what it means to play in the Big XII, not to mention having beaten Carolina and Purdue in non conference. I will be shocked if we miss the tournament, and I think that Shaka could fuck up just about anything. For real y'all- it's too early to panic. Right now we need to be worried about how badly UVA/UK/Duke/Michigan/Tennesee is going to beat us if we happen to win our first round game. 

I posted it elsewhere but UT will only be favored in 3 of its last 6 games.  According to Massey Ratings, @OU is a 3 point favorite and TCU at home is a 1 point favor.  If UT drops one of those two games and the 3 games it won't be favored in then the picture clearly changes with a 16 win season.  You guys are in right now but you have arguably the toughest stretch of the season coming up.

I did a little research and the worst record for an at-large (from a major basketball conference) bit was 1991 Villanova (9 seed).  They were 16-11 and lost in the semi-finals of the BE tourney.  They beat 5 ranked teams, 3 in the top 10.  That bodes well for for UT, but that is also the worst team ever to make the tourney.  If projections hold and UT loses either of the OU or TCU game then UT would effectively be the second worst team ever to make the tournament.  Literally even 1 bid stealing team would knock them out of the field.

It is tough to judge who is in and who isn't right now because it will literally change on a nightly basis.  We can howl all night long about how UT is in, but if they drop 3-4 straight then everything changes.  What is in today doesn't mean you are in tomorrow.

Edited by Jhawk

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

It is tough to judge who is in and who isn't right now because it will literally change on a nightly basis.  We can howl all night long about how UT is in, but if they drop 3-4 straight then everything changes.  What is in today doesn't mean you are in tomorrow.

No shit. Nobody here actually thinks we're going to drop 3-4 straight games.

8 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I did a little research and the worst record for an at-large (from a major basketball conference) bit was 1991 Villanova (9 seed).  They were 16-11 and lost in the semi-finals of the BE tourney.  They beat 5 ranked teams, 3 in the top 10.  That bodes well for for UT, but that is also the worst team ever to make the tourney.  

Your problem is you fail to realize this is the worst bubble ever in the history of college basketball. Using past examples doesn't provide much insight because the bubble has never been this bad. 

Stop comparing bubble teams from past years and then go look at the bubble this year and compare resumes. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

No shit. Nobody here actually thinks we're going to drop 3-4 straight games.

The possibility is very distinct.  UT has won 3 games it was a dog in, but has lost 7 games it was favor in.  There is not evidence that UT has a late season run in their future.  Even playing well over the last several games has netted a 4-4 record over the last eight games and a 4-7 record over the last 11 games.  If UT continues to play "well" over the next 6 games you've got 17 wins.  Squarely on the bubble and potentially out.

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Your problem is you fail to realize this is the worst bubble ever in the history of college basketball. Using past examples doesn't provide much insight because the bubble has never been this bad. 

Stop comparing bubble teams from past years and then go look at the bubble this year and compare resumes. 

Thank you for posting this.  I love watching the bubble develop.  That being said, like everything, the bubble is a moving target.  Every game matters and it changes nightly.  A few teams winning with a few teams losing and the bubble ends up with Seth Greensberg and Dickie V crying that their team, or teams in general, didn't get in.

Also note, this guy has UT in the "losers" spot saying only that he THINKS they get in with 3 wins.  If UT loses 4 then they are in deep shit.

Edited by Jhawk

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Thank you for posting this.  I love watching the bubble develop.  That being said, like everything, the bubble is a moving target.  Every game matters and it changes nightly.  A few teams winning with a few teams losing and the bubble ends up with Seth Greensberg and Dickie V crying that their team, or teams in general, didn't get in.

I really have no clue what your point is with the "moving target" stuff. 

No shit the bubble shifts based on results. Thanks for your great insight.

The problem is the bubble isn't going to shift much because the bubble sucks. All the bubble teams are losing so you have a group of teams on the bubble that aren't doing much to separate from the pack.

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The possibility is very distinct.  UT has won 3 games it was a dog in, but has lost 7 games it was favor in.  There is not evidence that UT has a late season run in their future.  Even playing well over the last several games has netted a 4-4 record over the last eight games and a 4-7 record over the last 11 games.  If UT continues to play "well" over the next 6 games you've got 17 wins.  Squarely on the bubble and potentially out.

The possibility has been distinct most of the season. Despite the fact that we have substandard coaching and inconsistent players, we usually play up and down instead of just down.

I find minimal enjoyment in this season, but your concern trolling is going to be fun to revisit assuming we don't completely shit the bed.

Edited by Machinator

On 2/12/2019 at 11:43 PM, Goo Punch said:

This is more about the 2020 team, but it's probably a bit early to start that thread. I went out tonight to watch Texas commit Will Baker and Texas recruit (and a former student of mine who i'm close with) KJ Adams as Westlake took on Austin High in their season finale. Baker and KJ dominated the game from start to finish, and KJ was actually the best player on the court despite being a sophomore. Here are the highlights:

There are more black guys on the floor for Westlake here than there were in the entire school (1500) when I was there in the early 90s. 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The possibility has been distinct most of the season. Despite the fact that we have substandard coaching and inconsistent players, we usually play up and down instead of just down.

I find minimal enjoyment in this season, but your concern trolling is going to be fun to revisit assuming we don't completely shit the bed.

I'm not concern trolling.  I think straight up that UT doesn't get in with only 2 wins and I think IF they get in with 3 then they will be in a play in game.

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I really have no clue what your point is with the "moving target" stuff. 

No shit the bubble shifts based on results. Thanks for your great insight.

The problem is the bubble isn't going to shift much because the bubble sucks. All the bubble teams are losing so you have a group of teams on the bubble that aren't doing much to separate from the pack.

People in this thread, Derka especially, are saying UT is "WAY IN".  That is the case if the season ended today.  But that is a fantasy because the season doesn't end today and UT has more games on the schedule that it can lose than it can win.  Counting past wins up to right now doesn't matter at all.  Counting wins going forward does matter and they aren't there unless UT plays well out of its ordinary level for the rest of the season.  I'm being told that UT has been playing great lately and it has netted a .500 record over the last several games.  If that is playing well then UT doesn't have a chance at getting in.  Nothing that has happened in the shaka era, or even just this season, suggests that UT can play at a level better than they are for the next 6 games.

I'm not concern trolling, I'm calling my shot.  UT doesn't get in with 2 more wins and I doubt they get in with 3.  They need at least 3 wins and will only guarantee a spot with a 4th win (conference tourney).

Edited by Jhawk

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

People in this thread, Derka especially, are saying UT is "WAY IN".  That is the case if the season ended today.  

1) They are way in currently. 105 out of 106 brackets have them in the tournament. Most of which don't even have them in the "last 4 group". 

2) Nobody is denying Texas will miss the tournament if they don't finish with some wins down the stretch. 

3) Nobody here thinks it's a guarantee we close well. Have you read this board or is reading comprehension tough for you? Most people wouldn't be shocked at all if we finished shitty down the stretch but that's not even the point. The point is the bubble sucks, our metrics are good, and if we close out the season at about .500 we're probably in the tournament. 

Better yet. If you're an expert on the bubble please compare resumes in this thread and tell us which teams are going to get in over Texas. It's going to be enjoyable watching you argue teams like OU, Indiana, Florida, Creighton, Nebraska and so on should get in over Texas. Those are pretty much your options at this point....like I said, the bubble sucks. 

Edited by texasstrong12

this is a good read for our Kansas friend. https://cbbtoday.com/mens/hold-my-bubbly-beer-the-2019-ncaa-tournament-bubble-is-drunk/

The number of bubble teams is growing, not decreasing. Teams are playing their way downward more than they are improving. The bubble cut line is being lowered as we speak. What would be a clear-cut NIT resume in past years might be an NCAA Tournament resume this year. It’s like a U.S. Open golf tournament in which 10 over par makes the cut. The point of all this: If you think your bubble team is in bad shape, wait until you get a load of how other bubble teams — inside or beyond your conference — are faring.

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

1) They are way in currently. 105 out of 106 brackets have them in the tournament. Most of which don't even have them in the "last 4 group". 

2) Nobody is denying Texas will miss the tournament if they don't finish with some wins down the stretch. 

3) Nobody here thinks it's a guarantee we close well. Have you read this board or is reading comprehension tough for you? Most people wouldn't be shocked at all if we finished shitty down the stretch but that's not even the point. The point is the bubble sucks, our metrics are good, and if we close out the season at about .500 we're probably in the tournament. 

Better yet. If you're an expert on the bubble please compare resumes in this thread and tell us which teams are going to get in over Texas. It's going to be enjoyable watching you argue teams like OU, Indiana, Florida, Creighton, Nebraska and so on should get in over Texas. Those are pretty much your options at this point....like I said, the bubble sucks. 

I just don't see Shaka mass dumping games down the stretch. That's not his style. He muddles along--winning one , losing one, winning one, losing two, winning two, losing one--with a precision that's almost hypnotic in its sheer awfulness. If I had to guess, we wind up in the tournament, where we rapidly get bounced. As well we should.  

On 2/14/2019 at 9:50 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Your problem is you fail to realize this is the worst bubble ever in the history of college basketball.

The increased number of Early Entry NBA players have dramatically diminished the talent in college basketball...... resulting in a much  weaker product including the bubble teams.

Edited by LTtxfan

38 minutes ago, Aldo Raine said:

Up to an 8 seed in Lunardi’s latest

It's funny that even with losses Texas is rising in brackets but it's not surprising. 

When teams like Ohio State lose to Illinois or Clemson to Miami or Minnesota to Nebraska this is what happens. 

The bubble is so bad that losses to Kansas State are a positive in comparison to other teams that are losing games to bad teams. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not possible. @Jhawk has informed me we are doomed. 

If I was a coach in the Big 12, I would talk Shaka up at every opportunity too. 

no shit.  you know you are in trouble when Bruce F'in Weber is backhanded complementing your team.  ugh, fucking purgatory.  we've got highly ranked recruits all over the place and Bruce Weber is going to win the conference.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we've got highly ranked recruits all over the place and Bruce Weber is going to win the conference.

I get the Bruce Weber stuff but you do realize K-State is good right? They made the elite 8 last year and could very well do it again this year if healthy. 

You act like K-State sucks. Bruce Weber might not be elite but he's built a good team at K-State. You can make fun of Bruce Weber all you want but there are very few coaches across the country that have done a better job than him these last couple of years. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I get the Bruce Weber stuff but you do realize K-State is good right? They made the elite 8 last year and could very well do it again this year if healthy. 

You act like K-State sucks. Bruce Weber might not be elite but he's built a good team at K-State. You can make fun of Bruce Weber all you want but there are very few coaches across the country that have done a better job than him these last couple of years. 

agree. I'd like to get a coach that is at least the equivalent of Bruce Weber.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

The updated bracket matrix has Texas as the 2nd nine seed. 

Texas has the worst record of any team expected to make the tourney right now. I guess its the Jekyll and Hyde nature of this squad that they are still in the mix. Big wins and terrible losses must be better than predictable mediocrity. 

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Texas has the worst record of any team expected to make the tourney right now. I guess its the Jekyll and Hyde nature of this squad that they are still in the mix. Big wins and terrible losses must be better than predictable mediocrity. 

Speaking purely from a resume perspective, only the Radford loss was terrible, and they're still projected to be a tournament team.

That's the disconnect that Texas fans seem to have between their discontent over program trajectory and where we stand this season.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Speaking purely from a resume perspective, only the Radford loss was terrible, and they're still projected to be a tournament team.

That's the disconnect that Texas fans seem to have between their discontent over program trajectory and where we stand this season.

I know this is probably going to turn this into a dumpster fire but our resume is absolutely worthy of being in the tournament. Our resume is better than almost every bubble team if not all and that includes teams all the way down to about the 8 seed line. 

I think people confuse "being good" with being "worthy of a tournament team" when reality is our resume is better than a lot of projected tournament teams. 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's the disconnect that some Texas fans seem to have between their discontent over program trajectory and where we stand this season.

FIFY.

This team is already tournament worthy, and as long as they don't lose out, they'll get a bid. No debate there.

But it's not unreasonable to suggest that Shaka has underachieved with this roster. The two viewpoints are not mutually exclusive.

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

According to the TV announcers, we have the 3# SOS in the country. If we played a schedule that many other teams play, our record would probably be much better. Its possible that we have played more ranked teams in conference than some teams have played all year. That may have a little something to do with our current tourney standing. . 

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Here are the metrics. Actually, since I last checked, Providence has continued to slide, so that loss should also be considered "bad" as well.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/team-net-sheet?team=Texas

That's the one game I wish we could play again because we definitely beat Providence with Roach. 

55 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

According to the TV announcers, we have the 3# SOS in the country. If we played a schedule that many other teams play, our record would probably be much better. Its possible that we have played more ranked teams in conference than some teams have played all year. That may have a little something to do with our current tourney standing. . 

Scott Drew intensifies

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

I’d say Georgia and Okie St are terrible. Nonetheless, we are deserving at present day.