2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

We are finally out of Lunardi's bracket. Second team out, behind Bama.

3 straight losses including 2 by double digits, and 1 of those at home. Additionally 2-6 over our last 8 games. Incredibly unworthy

Edited by taybo20
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Arkansas was rebuilding (save for Daniel Gafford, who's really good); what about that ugly win made you excited about this team?

I hate Arkansas and want them to suffer forever mostly. 

Hey it was like game 2 or something. So it was a little rough? They just beat the hated Piggies.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Any word on the Hayes injury last night?

The latest I've seen--and it's hours old--is ambiguous.

"Don't know the exact extent of it. Hopeful that it's not extremely serious," Texas head coach Shaka Smart said after the game. "But he was in some pain."

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/15/texas-longhorns-jaxson-hayes-knee-injury

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-texas/article227845089.html

Maybe someone who is more proficient with modern media (thinking of you, Mash) will clue us in.

Just now, Pancho Negro said:

So we are clearly NIT bound. I believe the first four out of the ncaa tourney automatically get the #1 seeds for the NIT.  I could be wrong here though..,

We might not even be in the First Four Out anymore.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

So we are clearly NIT bound. I believe the first four out of the ncaa tourney automatically get the #1 seeds for the NIT.  I could be wrong here though..,

Giving a team WITHOUT a winning record a #1 seed would be tantamount to saying “This is a pub league tournament.”

6 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

He's done for the season.

1) I was afraid of this.

2) I hope that his injury is something minor and that rest is basically all that is needed. (Bone bruise or something)

This just sucks. He's been the most fun player to watch this season. (I haven't caught many games, but he's easy to spot and his energy, size, and hops are crucial to the team's success.)

I'd love for him to come back next year, but I know that that's not going to happen. I wish him well. (Not that he reads Surly... or at least I hope that he doesn't.)

Has Texas upped its play in the NIT or are the wins a product of playing lesser teams?  Shaka is finally playing a deep roster and it begs the question why Liddell didn't get any minutes during the season.  Does Shaka use his deep roster to run at TCU's short roster or does he shrink his roster to those he trusts and again get manipulated by Dixon?  

Lower quality teams and un-scouted opponents stops with TCU.  I think the verdict is in on Smart coaching ability, but with Beard's results the gap has gotten larger between the top of the B12 and Shaka. Shaka can build some momentum with a blasting of TCU, but I doubt that happens.

This dude looked good against Texas in the NIT. Scored 19. Not sure 1) what the scholarship count looks like or 2) if we need another guard but if he's a grad transfer it would be a good option. 

He could be looking at UNLV as that's where his coach landed. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This dude looked good against Texas in the NIT. Scored 19. Not sure 1) what the scholarship count looks like or 2) if we need another guard but if he's a grad transfer it would be a good option. 

He could be looking at UNLV as that's where his coach landed. 

oh shit, that's my boy! he's the guy who i had a conversation with while he was at the foul line. cool guy, and he plays with a calm confidence that i really liked. I'd be so down with him coming to Texas.

Edited by Goo Punch

• 3 weeks later...

C+ coaching? Okie dokie BWG. Zero joke, I know that this is his attempt at objectivity, but his hard on for Shaka still shines through. We were ranked 25th overall in KenPom and ranked 29th and 26th in AdjO and AdjD and we went 16-16. 16 and fucking 16. The only thing keeping our season grade from being an F was winning the NIT, which bumped it up to a super impressive D-. Grading this year as a C is as laughable as every single other take that BWG has made re:Shaka. It's not even funny anymore. 

Also, setting aside for one second that a C+ coaching grade is certifiably retarded, i'll also point out that the logic behind "B + B + C means we had a C season!" is equally retarded. We went 16-16. They *literally* did not mention us on Selection Sunday. Not once. Not even when they talked about the NIT 1 seeds, a group which we did not belong to. We had a top 30 offense and a top 30 defense and yet based on our on-court results we were not even considered at all for tourney selection. Our name never even came up in the discussion. That is pathetic, and in no way adds up to C+ coaching or a C grade for the season. 

This was one of the 2-3 worst UT hoops seasons of my lifetime, and BWG is such an unabashed Shaka Smart Stan that nobody should ever ever ever share his thoughts on the subject here, or anywhere else for that matter. He makes Wescott Eberts' takes on Shaka look reasonable and objective. 

Edited by Goo Punch

27 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

C+ coaching? Okie dokie BWG. Zero joke, I know that this is his attempt at objectivity, but his hard on for Shaka still shines through. We were ranked 25th overall in KenPom and ranked 29th and 26th in AdjO and AdjD and we went 16-16. 16 and fucking 16. The only thing keeping our season grade from being an F was winning the NIT, which bumped it up to a super impressive D-. Grading this year as a C is as laughable as every single other take that BWG has made re:Shaka. It's not even funny anymore. 

Also, setting aside for one second that a C+ coaching grade is certifiably retarded, i'll also point out that the logic behind "B + B + C means we had a C season!" is equally retarded. We went 16-16. They *literally* did not mention us on Selection Sunday. Not once. Not even when they talked about the NIT 1 seeds, a group which we did not belong to. We had a top 30 offense and a top 30 defense and yet based on our on-court results we were not even considered at all for tourney selection. Our name never even came up in the discussion. That is pathetic, and in no way adds up to C+ coaching or a C grade for the season. 

This was one of the 2-3 worst UT hoops seasons of my lifetime, and BWG is such an unabashed Shaka Smart Stan that nobody should ever ever ever share his thoughts on the subject here, or anywhere else for that matter. He makes Wescott Eberts' takes on Shaka look reasonable and objective. 

You.re the exact opposite of BWG that nobody should ever ever ever share his thoughts on the subject here or anywhere else for that matter. You make Westcott Eberts' takes on Shaka look reasonable and objective.

I would take this last season over the 2010 season where we were 17-0 and ranked #1 in the nation and then went 7-10 and 1 and done in the tourney to close the year. That was the most painful sporting season in my lifetime. Such a waste. Classic Barnes burnout.

On 4/25/2019 at 12:49 PM, Katfid54 said:

Ironic (using the actual definition of irony) season recap from @Bitterwhiteguy posted on BC.  Here's the link.

Grades:

• Offense: B+

• Defense: B-

• Coaching: C+

What do a B+, B-, and C+ average to?

• Overall: C

Probably should rename the article to:  Texas Basketball 2018-19:  The Whole Is Less Than the Sum of Its Parts.

I'm not giving a season that ends outside of the NCAA Tournament a grade higher than C, regardless of how the individual elements are graded.

But yea, it's fair to say the whole was less than the sum of its parts given how their record looked compared to what the analytics expected. Texas came in the bottom 10% of Pomeroy's "luck" stat for good reason, they should've won more games than they did.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

I'm not giving a season that ends outside of the NCAA Tournament a grade higher than C, regardless of how the individual elements are graded.

But yea, it's fair to say the whole was less than the sum of its parts given how their record looked compared to what the analytics expected. Texas came in the bottom 10% of Pomeroy's "luck" stat for good reason, they should've won more games than they did.

I'm not goading you to give higher grades.  And I don't take much issue with your overall (although i think the "coaching" grade is pretty generous) grades for the different facets of the team.  And I don't disagree with you on the overall "composite" grade.  It's just ironic that your grading scheme spat out a result that made clear our team was discordant rather than synergistic.

Edited by Katfid54

27 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I'm not goading you to give higher grades.  And I don't take much issue with your overall (although i think the "coaching" grade is pretty generous) grades for the different facets of the team.  And I don't disagree with you on the overall "composite" grade.  It's just ironic that your grading scheme spat out a result that made clear our team was discordant rather than synergistic.

The coaching grade would've been lower were it not for how well they did in the NIT.

The story of the season is "this should be better than the record indicates".

EDIT: I didn't think you were calling me out, just elaborating on why the grades ended up the way they did.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy
  • Like 1