Good balsamic vinegar

Chewbacca

Anyone know a good place that ships for this?  My local shop I used to get it at closed during the pandemic.  I don't need $100 bottles of aged vinegar thick as molasses, just something good that I don't feel bad about drizzling over a salad.  I would prefer somewhere I can order it from online.

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone know a good place that ships for this?  My local shop I used to get it at closed during the pandemic.  I don't need $100 bottles of aged vinegar thick as molasses, just something good that I don't feel bad about drizzling over a salad.  I would prefer somewhere I can order it from online.

I buy the best stuff my local HEB sells, then take about a cup and simmer it until it reduces about 60-70%. Simple and makes an amazing drizzle (like molasses) on a Caprice salad or even ice cream. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...

Slight thread hijack since this is a little older--

Our pantry contains balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar, a red wine vinegar a friend made, apple cider vinegar, and regular  white vinegar. Recently I ran across a recipe that called for sherry vinegar and so I subbed in white wine vinegar but I started wondering--with the exception of balsamic which has a wide range in price, age, and quality, for the other types does it really  matter all that much? We use the balsamic quite a bit with various salads or bruschetta, the red wine on salads or with (cooked) wilted lettuce salad (yum) but the other ones I'm mostly using for things like refrigerator pickles or basic recipes.

Thoughts?

White vinegar is much stronger than most of the other types of vinegar and so that goes both ways. For pickling and stuff, you will need more wine or cider vinegar to get the same level of pickle-ness if you use something other than white. And on the flip side, using white when wine or cider is called for will add more harshness and you will want to cut it with water and maybe some sugar. I find for marinades and things, you can change the flavor profiles between cider, red, and white wine but plain white vinegar overpowers everything and breaks down meat fibers faster. 

It will take some experimenting to dial in.