The Shrink Next Door (TV Series, Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Katherine Hahn, Apple+, Nov 12)

atomheartbevo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree with Lurch. It’s well done and the actors are turning in solid performances, but it’s hard to watch that kind of blatant manipulation.

I haven’t read any of the background on this story, but at this point I’m hoping Marty murders Dr. Ike.

2 hours ago, Player said:

I haven’t read any of the background on this story, but at this point I’m hoping Marty murders Dr. Ike.

It's based on a podcast (go figure) of a true story.

Background

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

it seems like every single time i see a preview for something with an amazing cast full of my favorite people, it always flops. based on these tepid reviews, it seems like this might once again be the case. 

Yeah, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, but right now I'm leaning Hard Pass.   

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a sucker for stories about psychologically broken people. In particular, I found the co-dependence of the two characters to be really fascinating. It's wasn't just about a guy being bamboozled by his therapist. In the end, it was about two people who mutually supplied something different to one another, that made the other whole. And the lack of self-awareness of Dr. Ike was really well done... he doesn't ever show any signs of being aware of his own narcissism. His rage comes infrequently and always quickly dissipates, and you get the sense that because he's so good at manipulating, he seldom really needs to really leverage his nasty side, and so he likely isn't even aware he has one. You can really believe that his internal dialog, for the most part, is that of an upstanding therapist: thoughtful, observant, and genuinely compassionate. I have to give Paul Rudd props for being able to shift his expression subtly and effortlessly whenever his focus diverts to his vices.

It's easy to hate the guy, but the uncomfortable truth is that we all have our moments, and I think what made the show work is that as crazy as the events that unfold really are, we can still see ourselves in these crazy characters.

Edited by ndawg
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

When your psychiatrist is putting his own pictures up in your house, and getting upset when you tell other people that the house in fact belongs to you... 

Good show. Depressing. Hard to believe someone allowed themselves to be treated that way for decades before waking up to it.

• 7 months later...