Aggy to build new campus in downtown Fort Worth

sasquatch69

The new campus is planned to be built around the law school, 1515 Commerce St. Two buildings, the Texas A&M System Research and Innovation Center and the new Education Alliance Building, will flank the existing school. The law school, housed in a former Southwestern Bell call switching facility, will be razed and replaced with a new building serving as an entryway to the campus.

The new campus, described by Sharp as Aggieland North, would be much more than the law school. It could house programs in emergency response communication, medical technology, advanced manufacturing, nutrition, biotechnology, medical laboratory science and nursing.

https://www.keranews.org/2021-11-10/game-changer-texas-a-m-to-build-new-campus-in-downtown-fort-worth

This is a shot across the bow at TCU, which has pretty much had FW to itself w/r/t community/corporate connections.  OTOH, it's a nice boost for the east end of downtown, which has been pretty shabby for a while - and helps bring some new activity downtown after a long exodus of businesses (Radio Shack, Pier 1, XTO, etc.)

Edited by sasquatch69

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

This is a good move for them on paper but I doubt it’ll be super successful.

aggy should be trying to annex UNT, they be a good fit with each other.

I don't know much about UNT other than their top notch jazz program.  That seems like the least good fit with aggie I can think of.  They would probably convert it to a modern country department, where only greaseballs from New Jersey are allowed to sing about beer, trucks, and never moving to the city.

For all I know UNT students love humping farm animals though, so perhaps it is a perfect fit.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

51 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't know much about UNT other than their top notch jazz program.  That seems like the least good fit with aggie I can think of.  They would probably convert it to a modern country department, where only greaseballs from New Jersey are allowed to sing about beer, trucks, and never moving to the city.

For all I know UNT students love humping farm animals though, so perhaps it is a perfect fit.

Can you imagine aggy talking to UNT's music department? "Are you familiar with Goodbye my Coney Island Baby?"

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

former Southwestern Bell call switching facility

you'd think aggy would just keep it because it's their standard brutalist architecture. 

i'm going to guess that the leadership of fort worth aren't going to throw a bitch fest about this the way the "leaders" of houston did when UT wanted to build a data center research campus down here. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

Bad take is bad.  No one is a good fit with aggy, least of all UNT.  Too many hipster musicians in Denton.

UNT students are hard to categorize.  There's a bunch of musical hippies, serious musicians (who tend to be pretty geeky), commuter students, and actually a fair number of just kind of regular residential students like you find anywhere.

It doesn't align well with aggy in any sense.

5 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

It could house programs in emergency response communication,

Hmmm...there's an author on Amazon who was studying in that field. 

51gphWSUIvL._SX450_.jpg

Yes, she's a fitness expert, but she was majoring in emergency management or communication or something.  We should look her up and send her this information and maybe she'd move to Forth Worth to be a professor.

2 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

In this crazy, divided world, there is one thing we can agree on ... the world cries out for more aggys.

The world seems to be getting aggy-er every day.  I don't know what another building to house them is going to do.