Your most dangerous travel experiences

Parliament

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Just flew from Nashville to Austin and TSA had a security check on the jetway while boarding. You had to show an ID, all bags were searched and all electronics scanned with a bomb wand. No explanation was given. No mix tapes were found. WTF?

Could be a random check they are required to do, I guess ...

Hull England, 1996.

imagine being trapped in the movie train spotting, with more tension, anger and violence.

everyone wanted to fight.  Even the wimmenz.  Saw a guy bleeding on the floor after being stabbed in a club.

I never went anywhere less than 4 strong and we had to deescalate or sidestep a fight at least once per hour.

some mayor type took our group for a walking tour of their downtown.  People were heckling and threatening us from the streets and pubs.

f that place.

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just flew from Nashville to Austin and TSA had a security check on the jetway while boarding. You had to show an ID, all bags were searched and all electronics scanned with a bomb wand. No explanation was given. No mix tapes were found. WTF?

April 2017 I was boarding a Lufthansa 747 from Newark to Frankfurt.   The line to board was super backed up but once I got to the entrance to the jet way I realized why.  10-12 plain clothes police were gathered in the little room by the entrance to the ramp pulling people one by one, reviewing passports and asking questions.   A dog was sniffing all passengers as they entered the ramp and then another dog was being walked up and down the ramp.  Was slightly unsettling

It is kind of funny how nothing can make you feel less safe than the presence of police and/or military in situations like that.  Especially when they have dogs.  Meanwhile, when I normally need safety, I’m looking for police and/or military.  And my dog.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:29 AM, midtown said:

April 2017 I was boarding a Lufthansa 747 from Newark to Frankfurt.   The line to board was super backed up but once I got to the entrance to the jet way I realized why.  10-12 plain clothes police were gathered in the little room by the entrance to the ramp pulling people one by one, reviewing passports and asking questions.   A dog was sniffing all passengers as they entered the ramp and then another dog was being walked up and down the ramp.  Was slightly unsettling

Same thing happened to me and the wife (no pics assholes) on our way back from Santiago to Houston last year.  My wife actually got pulled out for secondary screening.  Good thing she had taken all the coke out of her hoohah and I had shoved it up my ass ahead of time.*

*True story except for the coke part.

6 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Same thing happened to me and the wife (no pics assholes) on our way back from Santiago to Houston last year.  My wife actually got pulled out for secondary screening.  Good thing she had taken all the coke out of her hoohah and I had shoved it up my ass ahead of time.*

*True story except for the coke part.

So then, what did she have shoved up yer ass ahead of time ?

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

It is kind of funny how nothing can make you feel less safe than the presence of police and/or military in situations like that.  Especially when they have dogs.  Meanwhile, when I normally need safety, I’m looking for police and/or military.  And my dog.

As much as we complain out the militarization of the police in the US, we don't see cops carrying Uzi's.  Maybe the occasional WR15, but not every single guy.  In Burkina they had .308 FAL battle rifles.  And they did not look well trained.  Like if a car backfired they'd immediately flip the selector to full-auto.

I've been to:
- Flint (didn't drink the water)
- Juarez (although it was before they started putting severed heads in coolers)
- almost drowned on a sketchy parasail adventure in Acapulco Bay
- drive through Chicago south side
- had a gun drawn on me in Houston traffic
- had a knife on pulled me twice (both by my son)

Most skeered though was when Mrs. Fairway called during one of her business trips and she said she was staying in the most bombed hotel in Europe

7 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I've been to:
- had a knife on pulled me twice (both by my son)

Most skeered though was when Mrs. Fairway called during one of her business trips and she said she was staying in the most bombed hotel in Europe

to the first, while traveling? and why? to the second, so she stayed at the flying pig in amsterdam, why scary? 

i got a couple but i'll start with europe first. traveling to rome on the low class ticket on one of their general trains in 2006 with a high school friend.  We end up being the only two in there, lock the door, fall asleep, then I had a wierd dream of seeing someone stand over me telling me "to go back to sleep".  Woke up in rome and ipod gone. fuck.  A few days later i'm alone and on the way to prague or budapest, again lock the door but know that it isn't foolproof, slept with the stuff under me/slightly more secure and again see someone in the cabin over me and I wake up right away.  It is a skinny dude about my height, he practically runs out of the cabin, it is like 2ish/3ish in the morning, and everyone on the train is assed out.  The skinny guy who had been trying to rob me goes one direction, and in the other direction at the end of the cab is a stockier, taller doofus looking guy.  I think to get his attention by waving my hands and yelling but he just kind of turns away/ignores me. It doesn't click to me that they're in cahoots. Skinny guy disappears into a cabin or out the end of the rail car, not sure so i go and try to make noise but i guess not enough.  I'm banging on the cabin doors next to me, most people don't but some people look out of their little windows and all they see is a short brown person with crazy hair hollering in english, lord knows what language they all spoke.  No one comes out of their cars.  So I'm alone, in a pitiful attempt to wake other passengers up when the skinny guy comes back, says something in some rando language that I don't understand but his gestures get the point across i should shut up.  I don't, and am still trying to wake the people in the cabins next to me when he goes behind me towards his stocky friend at the other end of the rail car. 

Do pickpockets want to deal with a dead body? probably not but still stupid to let the guy go behind me and not face him as he walked by. I was 25 and should have known better, just stupid and half asleep on my part. The two dudes get together, I stay near my cars and and am still trying to get others up but not going into my cabin. The skinny guy again gestures for me to go back in, I don't and decide to stay in the hallway until ..well not sure until what.  Finally the train slows down, i see a conductor come by, and the dudes jump off the train before they can be found. When we get to our destination, lots of other people had shit jacked, mostly money and jewels. I said "yeah, i was banging on all y'alls doors, no one woke up." for a second i think they looked at me suspiciously but fuck'em. I tried even if not a great try, so oh well.

1 minute ago, achooloco said:

i got a couple but i'll start with europe first. traveling to rome on the low class ticket on one of their general trains in 2006 with a high school friend.  We end up being the only two in there, lock the door, fall asleep, then I had a wierd dream of seeing someone stand over me telling me "to go back to sleep".  Woke up in rome and ipod gone. fuck.  A few days later i'm alone and on the way to prague or budapest, again lock the door but know that it isn't foolproof, slept with the stuff under me/slightly more secure and again see someone in the cabin over me and I wake up right away.  It is a skinny dude about my height, he practically runs out of the cabin, it is like 2ish/3ish in the morning, and everyone on the train is assed out.  The skinny guy who had been trying to rob me goes one direction, and in the other direction at the end of the cab is a stockier, taller doofus looking guy.  I think to get his attention by waving my hands and yelling but he just kind of turns away/ignores me. It doesn't click to me that they're in cahoots. Skinny guy disappears into a cabin or out the end of the rail car, not sure so i go and try to make noise but i guess not enough.  I'm banging on the cabin doors next to me, most people don't but some people look out of their little windows and all they see is a short brown person with crazy hair hollering in english, lord knows what language they all spoke.  No one comes out of their cars.  So I'm alone, in a pitiful attempt to wake other passengers up when the skinny guy comes back, says something in some rando language that I don't understand but his gestures get the point across i should shut up.  I don't, and am still trying to wake the people in the cabins next to me when he goes behind me towards his stocky friend at the other end of the rail car. 

Do pickpockets want to deal with a dead body? probably not but still stupid to let the guy go behind me and not face him as he walked by. I was 25 and should have known better, just stupid and half asleep on my part. The two dudes get together, I stay near my cars and and am still trying to get others up but not going into my cabin. The skinny guy again gestures for me to go back in, I don't and decide to stay in the hallway until ..well not sure until what.  Finally the train slows down, i see a conductor come by, and the dudes jump off the train before they can be found. When we get to our destination, lots of other people had shit jacked, mostly money and jewels. I said "yeah, i was banging on all y'alls doors, no one woke up." for a second i think they looked at me suspiciously but fuck'em. I tried even if not a great try, so oh well.

.... the aristocrats!!!