Your most dangerous travel experiences

Parliament

Picked up a beautiful blonde from Luxembourg in New Orleans. 2am we leave Bourbon Street and walk 7-8 blocks through not so great area to get to her hotel. I was too drunk and horny to know how stupid that idea was. Passed many dudes who looked like they were contemplating shooting me and raping the girl. Danger was way worth it.

Me and my buddy in Bangkok.  We meet some ex pats from England who are teaching in Bangkok.  They take us to this bar and I see this Thai pro who is just my type and the Brits are telling us the system on how to pick them up.  send a drink, then go talk.  So the girl is with her sister and we all decide to go to a dance club.  As we are leaving she says one of you can ride with me and my sister.  I'm expecting a crappy as car but instead its a BMW convertible and her sister is sitting on my lap.  My friend and the brits ditch me.   We get to the club and the girl tells me to pay some random dude and he will watch her car.  We go into a grocery store and to the back to this huge club.  The wont let her sister in.  So she's under 20.   So he sister sits in the grocery/restaurant and orders food while we go in and dance.  We come out and order more food and beer.  Bill comes and its maybe $20 or so.  Yada yada yada.   We're back in the car, 6am, sun coming up barreling down a freeway, music blasting,  sister on my lap trying to make out with me.  While Thai pro is egging her and me on.   guess the only danger was the questionable age of the sister on my lap, the fact we a hauling down this freeway, and that should could have easily had someone rob me.   Definitely a "how the fuck did I end up here"  I just wanted to tell that story. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I was on the street in Matamoros the night the Mexican cannibal / Satanic drug gang took Mark Kilroy and rendered him into stew and jewelry. They tried to take my best friend, but he fought them off. He told us about before we even crossed back into Texas, much less before we even knew Kilroy was missing. Meanwhile, I was feet away, making out with the woman who is now my wife. Fucking TWISTED night.  

That is insane!!! I was in HS in San Antonio when that happened and that was HUGE news.

At Petra, Jordan I somehow got caught up in an adventurous moment and decided to accept a rather sketchy Bedouin's offer for a clearly not sanctioned off-path "hike" out of the park on foot to the south, and to some nearby areas with good views into Petra.  After a few kilometers of nice level walking, the hike turned into some really serious rock climbing going up, up, up.  Now, truly in the middle of nowhere, after scrambling up a particularly steep climb and having an extremely close call with falling backwards to my death due to not being used to the weight of my backpack, I was glad for my guide's offer to let him to tote my backpack the rest of the way.  But the most dangerous moment was when we came to a crevasse/gorge and had to jump across it.  No way down at this point.  So, the only choice is to jump across and keep going up.  I told him I didn't think I could make it.  It was only about 8-ft which seems easy until you do it with no runup and just a push-off to get from one side of the cliff to the other.  He said to jump and grab for his arm, and he would make sure I didn't fall.

Missing this jump would result in falling a couple hundred feet to a painful death wedged between some cracks in the rock, and obviously with no help close by.   I took what can only be described as a leap of faith.  He grabbed me just like he said, in a moment totally out of my control or physical ability to make it on my own.   We sat on a rock ledge for 10 minutes while I got my heart rate back down and stopped my involuntary shaking.

feazUFyO_t.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, midtown said:

Lived in downtown Detroit for two weeks back in 1994 for some business training.  A bunch of us used to go to the Windsor scrip clubs and catch the last bus back to Detroit.  If you know Detroit you know that area right across the border is the worst.  Every night we'd give the bus driver $ to just take us the extra 10 blocks or so to our apartment.   One night the guy said no and told us to get out.   We go five blocks and heard someone in an alley say "lets get them".  3 of us broke out in mad sprints to the apartment.

Not trying to bullshit proof your story at all, and if you stayed downtown for a couple of weeks I trust you knew your surroundings but....right across the border. Tunnel or bridge? I mean the Tunnel lets out right next to the Ren Cen on Jefferson near the river which even in the 90s when things were pretty bleak is pretty much the least threatening area of downtown. The bridge lets out onto the Interstate in SW Detroit. Not exactly a great neighborhood but you're on the interstate. I don't remember it being different back in the day but perhaps it was. 

4 hours ago, RD3 said:

That is insane!!! I was in HS in San Antonio when that happened and that was HUGE news.

I was there that night too.  Started the day off jumping on a bus and delivered to some party/makeshift bar in someone's backyard.  Was in the same club as he was later that night.  

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:51 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I was on the street in Matamoros the night the Mexican cannibal / Satanic drug gang took Mark Kilroy and rendered him into stew and jewelry. They tried to take my best friend, but he fought them off. He told us about before we even crossed back into Texas, much less before we even knew Kilroy was missing. Meanwhile, I was feet away, making out with the woman who is now my wife. Fucking TWISTED night.  

Holy shit, I've never heard this story.  Had to look it up on Wikipedia. 

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I mean the Tunnel lets out right next to the Ren Cen on Jefferson near the river which even in the 90s when things were pretty bleak is pretty much the least threatening area of downtown.

From the tunnel the walk back to our apartment was bad.   Esp for a kid from the suburbs or TExas who didn't really see a lot of urban blight.  Was it escape from ny bad?  no but all those burned out buildings werent exactly a fairly tale setting.  

Edited by midtown

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Holy shit, I've never heard this story.  Had to look it up on Wikipedia. 

For years many people would call Matamoros "Mata-wetos".

I went to South Padre for spring break when I was at UT a couple of years. We went to Matamoros one year on our 1st night. Got a shitty motel in Brownsville and walked across to the Corona Club if memory serves. It was worth doing once to say we went but SPI was a better experience. The next day, we went again hungover and ate lunch at some spot there. If only I actually had money in school; might have been able to stay in better places...

Sadly kids today can't wander into Mexican border towns due to safety issues...

38 minutes ago, RD3 said:

For years many people would call Matamoros "Mata-wetos".

I went to South Padre for spring break when I was at UT a couple of years. We went to Matamoros one year on our 1st night. Got a shitty motel in Brownsville and walked across to the Corona Club if memory serves. It was worth doing once to say we went but SPI was a better experience. The next day, we went again hungover and ate lunch at some spot there. If only I actually had money in school; might have been able to stay in better places...

Sadly kids today can't wander into Mexican border towns due to safety issues...

My kid brother and his friend went to Matamoros while vacationing at Padre Island around 1996 or 1997.  My brother's friend ended up getting arrested by the Mexican police and thrown in jail, so my brother had to find his way back to their South Padre condo to get bail money, which required him to smash a window to break in because his jailed friend had the key, and then go back to Matamoros to get him out.  Scary to think how that was tame compared to what's happened to others.

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

All of this Detroit stuff seems bogus.  If you had described it as a blood-soaked hellscape I might buy it.

I didn't have anything bad happen to me in Detroit but man that place was depressing. My first trip there was for Game 4 of the 2012 World Series. Sunday night game, and the Lions were playing at Ford Field so you couldn't park anywhere near the stadiums for <$50. So I decide to just find a parking lot away from all that bullshit and hike it over to Comerica. Found a half-empty surface lot, go over to pay and the guy at the booth says "Hey, you're going to the baseball game? You might want to park your car under one of the light poles, just for your safety when you come back." WTF?

After the game and after getting away from the stadiums I must have walked five or six blocks through a major downtown area without encountering another human being. Trash blowing across the street. It felt like the apocalypse.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, but the reality is there are some scary ass places here.

I've a gun pulled on me three times in my life:

Pulled over by Louisiana HW patrol, cuffed and on my knees on the side of the road with a gun to the back of my head while they tossed my car and interrogated my girlfriend.

Robbed at gunpoint in NOLA (different trip).

Chicken bus in Guatemala stopped by rebels. Me and a buddy were the only gringos on the bus. They wanted my buddy and I to get off the bus. We told them we weren't getting off the bus. Pointed guns at us. Old abuela went off on the rebel "officer", telling him we were just stupid gringo kids and had nothing to do with anything. They let us go after taking our money (didn't take our passports however).

No guns involved:

Had a knife pulled on me in a park in Barcelona by some kid who looked like he was about 13. It was early in the morning, and I was killing time until I could check into my hotel after a late night bus ride. I told him to fuck off, I didn't have any money. He asked for a cigarette instead. I didn't smoke, but I always carry smokes when traveling. I gave him the entire pack and offered him a light. We chatted for a little while. He told me I should probably find a safer place to hang out, at least until the park got busy later in the morning.

Busted for smoking pot in San jose Costa Rica with same guy mentioned above in bus story. We and the cops came to a "agreement" that we could just pay the fine then to them instead of having to go to court.

Wandered into a bad neighborhood in Cairo, but survived without incident. This also happened in Brooklyn many years ago.

In Kenya on a rural highway after dark (big no no). Came up on a roadblock that was a bonfire (more like a campfire really) in the middle of the road with a couple of guys sitting around it and a truck parked in the oncoming traffic lane. Driver floored it, swerved off the road into the ditch, went around the roadblock, and kept hauling ass. We hit something that took off the driver side (which was the right side) rear view mirror. Never figured out what it was we hit. We were told later that normally no one ever travels on the highways at night, and the custom was for truckers to camp in the middle of the road at night. I still hope to this day we didn't hit somebody with the mirror.

• Like 1

The only time I've had a gun pointed at me was when I was walking from my apt to the train a month after 9/11.  I jay walked in between two black suburbans and when I got to the other side some dude in a suit and sunglasses was leaning out of one of 6 suv windows and pointing an automatic weapon at me.  "hey asshole, the next time someone tells you to stop, you better stop or you're going to get shot"  

Wife and I were in taxi in Sri Lanka. Taxi driver hit a bus full of people on our way to airport. 

Entire bus gets off and along with what seemed like hundreds of random locals surrounded the cab and were yelling/starting to shake cab/bang on windows. Street justice usually prevails in that part of world for traffic incidents  

Driver insisting we wait for cops. I throw some money at him and basically threaten him and have him drive to police station. 

He files report and they let us go to airport where we barely make our flight out. 

These are all great. Matamoros story is crazy. I remember that so vividly. It made Mexico seem like a million miles away to a Texas kid in elementary/middle school. 

Forgot about a few more I have had happen

1) got drugged in Beijing. Tea house scam. Look it up. Two cute girls invite you in and you have some tea, they drug you, and you give them money. The drugs were great and I was feeling great. They told me it was 300 bucks. I remember laughing out loud and then saying "no". then some arguing and crying from them - the entire time I am thinking you motherfuckers are killing my buzz - stop crying. Ended up giving em 40 bucks and calling it a day. 

https://wikitravel.org/en/Chinese_Tea_Scam

i think it was proposed to me like 5 more times when in China that time. 

Highly recommended if you are in a big city in China and need to pass some time.  Kind of free drugs, some drama, cute chicks, a little tea

2) Russia. same trip as when I was mugged in Mongolia. Beginning of the Transiberian railroad in St Petersberg. In a bar at 10pm at night, just got there. Me and my swarthy italian friend. Place was HOPPING. like russian chicks slamming vodka and dancing on tables kind of hopping. I was jet lagged and needed booze. My swarthy friend was generally nervous due to racism, but ok. he tried to get beers. no luck. we were being ignored. I was then walking up the bar (as my friend turned around to walk back to our table) and the bar tender put and machine gun on the bar. I stopped half way there and my friend walked back to me. Bar tender was drunk out of his fucking mind. I was like NOPE. to this day my friend gives me shit about this and says he never saw it. Its etched in my brain that vision of that dude plopping that down on the bar. 

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I've a gun pulled on me three times in my life:

Pulled over by Louisiana HW patrol, cuffed and on my knees on the side of the road with a gun to the back of my head while they tossed my car and interrogated my girlfriend.

Robbed at gunpoint in NOLA (different trip).

Chicken bus in Guatemala stopped by rebels. Me and a buddy were the only gringos on the bus. They wanted my buddy and I to get off the bus. We told them we weren't getting off the bus. Pointed guns at us. Old abuela went off on the rebel "officer", telling him we were just stupid gringo kids and had nothing to do with anything. They let us go after taking our money (didn't take our passports however).

No guns involved:

Had a knife pulled on me in a park in Barcelona by some kid who looked like he was about 13. It was early in the morning, and I was killing time until I could check into my hotel after a late night bus ride. I told him to fuck off, I didn't have any money. He asked for a cigarette instead. I didn't smoke, but I always carry smokes when traveling. I gave him the entire pack and offered him a light. We chatted for a little while. He told me I should probably find a safer place to hang out, at least until the park got busy later in the morning.

Busted for smoking pot in San jose Costa Rica with same guy mentioned above in bus story. We and the cops came to a "agreement" that we could just pay the fine then to them instead of having to go to court.

Wandered into a bad neighborhood in Cairo, but survived without incident. This also happened in Brooklyn many years ago.

In Kenya on a rural highway after dark (big no no). Came up on a roadblock that was a bonfire (more like a campfire really) in the middle of the road with a couple of guys sitting around it and a truck parked in the oncoming traffic lane. Driver floored it, swerved off the road into the ditch, went around the roadblock, and kept hauling ass. We hit something that took off the driver side (which was the right side) rear view mirror. Never figured out what it was we hit. We were told later that normally no one ever travels on the highways at night, and the custom was for truckers to camp in the middle of the road at night. I still hope to this day we didn't hit somebody with the mirror.

damn! where was that in Guatemala? Thats always been a nightmare for me in Central and South America. Heard many horror stories yikes. 

Edited by staboner

On 5/20/2018 at 5:54 PM, idahorn said:

Didn't want to drag it out too long.  Walked back to my hotel; everyone was walking in the street not the sidewalks.  I saw Gene Hackman coming toward me from about 30' so I had a chance to think.  As we passed each other I said "Poseidon Adventure" ( a 70's Hackman movie about a tidal wave-induced by an earthquake turning an ocean liner upside down). He laughed pretty hard but kept moving.  Got a bus to the airport (we didn't go on any overpasses) and tried to sleep a few hours on a bench somewhere in the lobby.  Flew out about 2 PM the next day.

There is a Henry's Hunan at 924 Sansome and another at the intersection of Grant and Green.  If someone were paying for my meal and I had a choice between Henry's and the French Laundry, I'd take Henry's.

And then?

Never was in real danger.  Friend got robbed in St Petersburgh Russia, but he invited it.  

Sketchiest was first night in Cairo, walking the streets by myself, not long after the Egyptian revolution.  

Manila in parts feel sketchy as hell too.

I was in Restaurant Montee in the 14th when some nut job tried to take out a number of cops on the Champs-Elysees.  I had no idea anything was happening until my phone blew up with texts during dinner asking if I was ok.  That's about all I've got.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paris-shooting-champs-elysees/

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
Don't post while distracted

Was traveling in Northern Peru with two friends in the summer of 2007. One was a former professor of mine and the other was my father's dissertation chair (back in 1975). Both traveled extensively and always checked out the local strip club. We're in Chiclayo and jumped in a cab intending to ask the driver to take us to the nearest club. We didn't speak Spanish and he didn't speak English. After some back and forth it seemed like he understood what we were looking for. He starts driving us out of the city. We drive about 10-15 minutes before turning off the main road and enter a residential area. Drive by one house with a guy holding what looked to be a machine gun. Getting a little nervous. Leave the residential area and drive for another 5-10 minutes. Pull up to a motel. Not sketchy at all. We go through the main door and pay a small entrance fee. Walk through another door and enter a open air quad with rooms all around the perimeter. There are about 40-50 guys hanging in the quad. We're the only white ones. Where the fuck are we? A door opens up and woman in lingerie appears. A group of 10-15 guys closest to the door make a mad dash for it. One guy gets in. Ahhh, it's that kind of place. We locate the bar. Order one beer each. Start to notice eyes on us. Time to go. Pound the beers and head out. Luckily the cab driver was still outside. 

One the way out, we hit a checkpoint or get pulled over (can't remember which). As we're preparing to pull out bribe money, the "officers" get called away on an emergency and let us go. Time to head back to the hotel? Fuck that.

After determining we were looking for bailarinas, cab driver took us to another place. I spent the next couple of hours drinking cheap beer and making out with one of the dancers. 

TL;DR: looking for a strip club in Northern Peru and ended up at a brothel for local mine workers due to a language difference. Did not feel like we'd survive if we stuck around.

Edited by HornPhD

• 2 weeks later...

Damn guys....i have had no major problems

My worst is when i was sleeping in the termini station in rome waiting for my train and woke up with my pocket cut open
Got a few lire and small nikon camera back in '98

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Living in Monterrey during the zetas and golfo shit. Dude got shot in the head 5 feet away at a bar we were at in San Nicolas. My barber was kidnapped while cutting my hair for being a halcone. Also went to jail in guadlajara for a night for fighting and being drunk. That shit was no joke. Lew sterrett ain't got got shit on that. Been robbed at gunpoint point more in Dallas than Mexico though, worst time was 30 and grand, gun to my head for my wallet and phone. That was 2 years ago. Still remember the feeling of the gun and get chills

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Living in Monterrey during the zetas and golfo shit. Dude got shot in the head 5 feet away at a bar we were at in San Nicolas. My barber was kidnapped while cutting my hair for being a halcone. Also went to jail in guadlajara for a night for fighting and being drunk. That shit was no joke. Lew sterrett ain't got got shit on that. Been robbed at gunpoint point more in Dallas than Mexico though, worst time was 30 and grand, gun to my head for my wallet and phone. That was 2 years ago. Still remember the feeling of the gun and get chills

if you carried you couldve taken your phone back, and his

8 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Damn guys....i have had no major problems

My worst is when i was sleeping in the termini station in rome waiting for my train and woke up with my pocket cut open
Got a few lire and small nikon camera back in '98

Yeah, not a dangerous story, but Rome really sucks in regard to the pickpockets. The only time I've ever had anyone try to pick my pocket, at least that I know of, was on the Metro there. Crowded train to the Spanish Steps area. I feel something against my leg and look down. This dude is putting his hand in my pocket. I call him out and he pulls it back out. Car is so crowded neither one of us can move away. A minute later as we're approaching our stop, same shit, same guy. So I lose my shit on the guy & everyone in the car is giving him & his buddy evil looks. Wife (no pics) & I head to the exit as the train stops, and as we leave, there's a transit cop right there. We tell him what happened and point out the guys. Transit cop gets on the train right as the doors are closing, with the pickpockets stuck there. Good. Fuck em. And no, they didn't get any of my shit.

Edited by wood

I went to College Station once for a Texas - aggy hoops game. That seemed kinda dangerous. Lots of very threatening comments directed at me & my girlfriend. Mostly from the older set. They didn't take to us sips, & apparently took special exception to a white boy mixing with a Hispanic girl.

Oh yeah, there was the time me & a buddy were walking back to the ship at the end of liberty in SF. Took a wrong turn I guess somewhere and into a neighborhood that didn't seem bad until we heard some guys saying stuff like "What y'all white boys doin' here?" & "Just keep walkin'". So we did just that.

Edited by wood

6 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah, not a dangerous story, but Rome really sucks in regard to the pickpockets. The only time I've ever had anyone try to pick my pocket, at least that I know of, was on the Metro there. Crowded train. I feel something against my leg and look down. This dude is putting his hand in my pocket. I call him out and he pulls it back out. Car is so crowded neither one of us can move away. A minute later as we're approaching our stop, same shit, same guy. So I lose my shit on the guy & everyone in the car is giving him & his buddy evil looks. Wife (no pics) & I head to the exit as the train stops, and as we leave, there's a transit cop right there. We tell him what happened and point out the guys. Transit cop gets on the train right as the doors are closing, with the pickpockets stuck there. Good. Fuck em. And no, they didn't get any of my shit.

Plot twist: the transit cop picked your pocket just before getting on the train. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, that would be the way Hollywood would tell it...

Oooooh, then the transit cop would be a hot blond and she'd have picked your room key or ID and had a moment of weakness and she'd track you down and fuck your brains out........  errrr his brains out  ... HIS brains out...  

Then she'd involve you into some Cold War East German Stassi caper (this would all be set in 1975 or so.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oooooh, then the transit cop would be a hot blond and she'd have picked your room key or ID and had a moment of weakness and she'd track you down and fuck your brains out........

This one. I like this version.

This thread has had me racking my brain because I've traveled quite a bit and lived in a few different countries (eastern europe, the Netherlands and the UK) for a few years, yet I can't recall even one moderately dangerous situation while abroad.  Not a good story but the only one I can think of was being under a mandatory shelter in place order at our luxury hotel in Bangkok for a few hours after a terrorist attack about a mile away. On the other hand I've been robbed at gunpoint in LA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

This thread has had me racking my brain because I've traveled quite a bit and lived in a few different countries (eastern europe, the Netherlands and the UK) for a few years, yet I can't recall even one moderately dangerous situation while abroad. 

Edited by mycox

7 hours ago, Chopper said:

This thread has had me racking my brain because I've traveled quite a bit and lived in a few different countries (eastern europe, the Netherlands and the UK) for a few years, yet I can't recall even one moderately dangerous situation while abroad.  Not a good story but the only one I can think of was being under a mandatory shelter in place order at our luxury hotel in Bangkok for a few hours after a terrorist attack about a mile away. On the other hand I've been robbed at gunpoint in LA. 

Yep. That's pretty much where I am. All my "most dangerous situations" have happened in the U.S.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:45 AM, midtown said:

Me and my buddy in Bangkok.  We meet some ex pats from England who are teaching in Bangkok.  They take us to this bar and I see this Thai pro who is just my type and the Brits are telling us the system on how to pick them up.  send a drink, then go talk.  So the girl is with her sister and we all decide to go to a dance club.  As we are leaving she says one of you can ride with me and my sister.  I'm expecting a crappy as car but instead its a BMW convertible and her sister is sitting on my lap.  My friend and the brits ditch me.   We get to the club and the girl tells me to pay some random dude and he will watch her car.  We go into a grocery store and to the back to this huge club.  The wont let her sister in.  So she's under 20.   So he sister sits in the grocery/restaurant and orders food while we go in and dance.  We come out and order more food and beer.  Bill comes and its maybe $20 or so.  Yada yada yada.   We're back in the car, 6am, sun coming up barreling down a freeway, music blasting,  sister on my lap trying to make out with me.  While Thai pro is egging her and me on.   guess the only danger was the questionable age of the sister on my lap, the fact we a hauling down this freeway, and that should could have easily had someone rob me.   Definitely a "how the fuck did I end up here"  I just wanted to tell that story. 

Rookie.

Guess not travel but while living in DC, I had a guy tried to grab my cell out of my hand and run out of the metro

How long ago was this?

Went to visit wife's parents in DC back in 2011 and nobody had any devices out because the snatch and run had become so rampant that no one wanted to chance it.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:51 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I was there that night too. Never crossed the border into matamoros again after that story came out.

Edited by Wild Bill
delete

On 5/21/2018 at 1:51 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I was there that night too. Growing up in the Valley we crossed over many times to party. Never crossed the border into matamoros again after that story came out.

Aww crap, can we not delete double posts on here?

Edited by Wild Bill
correction