2022 Australian Open

shadow_operative2.0

Barty is just a sweet little adorable assassin. 

She was on the ropes in the second round and then just started throwing haymakers (vicious forehands) and that Rocky theme started playing in the background. 

Her lion’s roar upon winning was eye-opening, but she was screaming for an entire continent. It’s impossible not to be happy for her even if you didn’t want her to win. 

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Here’s Jayne the American who is the spokesperson for Tennis Australia. It’s always so weird to see this American lady give the big speech. 

I couldn’t help but notice she did not have an Aussie accent. It seemed suspect for sure. Then again they also have American Jim Courier as their tennis main commentator  in Australia so I guess they like having some American presence down under

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I couldn’t help but notice she did not have an Aussie accent. It seemed suspect for sure. Then again they also have American Jim Courier as their tennis main commentator  in Australia so I guess they like having some American presence down under

1) Courier is a Grand Slam winner and announces matches for the Tennis Channel, but since they don’t have the contract for this tournament, he probably is doing guest announcing for the Aussie broadcast. 

2) The lady Jayne is married to an Aussie (I believe) and lives there year-round. Probably an Aussie citizen and the current head (or something like that) of Tennis Australia.

FROM WIKI:

Carla Jayne Hrdlicka (born c. 1963) is an American-born business executive based in Australia.[2] She is currently the chairman and Board President of Tennis Australia, having been appointed in October 2017. In November 2020, she became the chief executive officer (CEO) of Australian airline Virgin Australia, replacing Paul Scurrah.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayne_Hrdlicka

This article is filled with gems. It’s amazing that these two could just say

-Hey, do you want to go be the best doubles team in the world?… sure, why not? And then go do it.  [not an actual quote]

They now automatically qualify for the season ending ATP Finals even if this is the only tournament they play all year.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5bf4c8653c654f77895f1dafcaeff0e.jpeg

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rowdy-fan-ejected-nick-kyrgios-124225864.html

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Even this match had a fan run on the court. If Nadal doesn’t win set 2, that’s it for him. 

He was up 5-3 in the tiebreak and couldn't do it.  I think he wins one set, but this will be Medvedev's first Aus open and pretty deserved.   Rafa cannot handle Medvedev's wide shots.

Just now, texas08 said:

Medvedev is literally a bitch little punk…

Ungrateful bastard, saying all sort of shit under his breadth when they’re thanking him for being a great athlete

The fans were pretty cruelly against him throughout the match so I have no doubt he considers this post-match applause insincere. They cheered on errors, double faults, etc. from him and made a lot of intentional noise in between his first and second serves throughout. He was unnerved by it to the point where he was asking the chair umpire to step in to stop the disruptions.

• Like 3

The fans were pretty cruelly against him throughout the match so I have no doubt he considers this post-match applause insincere. They cheered on errors, double faults, etc. from him and made a lot of intentional noise in between his first and second serves throughout. He was unnerved by it to the point where he was asking the chair umpire to step in to stop the disruptions.

Make sense.

But damn he makes it almost impossible to be likeable.

Then he gives an excellent post match speech while receiving the runner up trophy.

5 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

This is the correct take. There’s no place in tennis for some of the jackassery by that crowd today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He was saying “boring” and all sorts of crap when the lady presenting the trophies was talking about him. I get being pissed at the crowd, but he was basically telling the lady to STFU under his breadth.

I also didn’t lose a 6hr match after being up 2-0.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s definitely not right how the crowd reacted today, but from what I gather he is becoming the king of pushing limits with how he acts every match. Arguments with refs. Arguments with players. The way he reacts to the crowd. He isn’t Scott free in all this.

• Like 1

Honestly out of the assholes on tour Medvedev is the most likeable.  He is definitely sarcastic and his US Open a few years back had the crowd completely against him.  However, he is reacting to other players (not today, but for example with Tsistsibitch) and to crowds.  And the AUS open crowd was bullshit.  Especially in the men's doubles semi between KK and Granollers/Zeballos who are two super nice guys who did nothing to deserve the abuse.  I think it is (NO CR) a little bit of Covid PTSD in the crowd too.

Either way, he played great, just came up short against the GOAT of clay and certainly at least the #2 player of all time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m a big Medvedev fan in no small part because he beat Novak in NYC last year. 

I also like that he can get testy and throw tantrums in Russian, French, or English. He’s a very intelligent guy. 

I took an hour nap to be alert during the match and slept for 10 straight hours, so I kind of missed it. I recorded it as well as the following SportsCenters to get to about 5 1/2 hours, but I doubt that the match started at 2:30am sharp, so I probably didn’t get the ending. 🙄

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a big Medvedev fan in no small part because he beat Novak in NYC last year. 
I also like that he can get testy and throw tantrums in Russian, French, or English. He’s a very intelligent guy. 
I took an hour nap to be alert during the match and slept for 10 straight hours, so I kind of missed it. I recorded it as well as the following SportsCenters to get to about 5 1/2 hours, but I doubt that the match started at 2:30am sharp, so I probably didn’t get the ending.

I’ve definitely learned any sports program I record like that I always just add 3 hours. Always did 1 1/2 and that burned me once. So always three now.
  • Hook 'Em 1