2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

Biggest game of the season tonight.  Win game 1 behind Dolcini and you're in the driver's seat in the supers, because it means you can throw Czech/Simpson tomorrow and then come back with Dolcini if needed on Saturday.

Delce (2.18) and Haff (2.61) don't look *that* scary considering who we've faced this year - Plain (1.93), Maxwell (1.22), Bahl (0.95), May (0.99), Trautwein (0.42), Cagle (1.96), Fairaimo (1.71), Fouts (2.10)

We went through all that pain just for this moment. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

If Dolcini can start 3 games in 2 days like at the regional there’s no reason she shouldn’t be able to pitch 3 games in 3 days of a super regional. 

You would like to have another pitcher you can trust but there’s a big drop off from Dolcini. 

They have to ride her arm. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

28 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Even if Texas wins tonight, they need to let Dolcini pitch in game 2. 

You can't give away games against quality opponents like this and have to give your best shot in all 3. They started Dolcini in  the winner's bracket of the regional so I expect her to pitch all 3 games. 

I disagree.  I think Mike would set up Dolcini for game 3 if we win tonight.  That's just my personal opinion though. 

Just now, Js1 said:

I disagree.  I think Mike would set up Dolcini for game 3 if we win tonight.  That's just my personal opinion though. 

I think it’s very unlikely. White would have rested Dolcini in game 3 of the regional if that were the case.

I don’t think White has much faith in other pitchers. You want to give it your best shot in all 3 games and definitely don’t want to get destroyed in game 2 where you give the other team momentum. 

35 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think it’s very unlikely. White would have rested Dolcini in game 3 of the regional if that were the case.

I don’t think White has much faith in other pitchers. You want to give it your best shot in all 3 games and definitely don’t want to get destroyed in game 2 where you give the other team momentum. 

I'm not saying throw game 2 if we win tonight.  He may not have as much faith in his others as he does Dolcini, but we are no longer in the era of riding one horse through the supers and OKC.  I'd rather see what Czech/Simpson can give you and have Dolcini ready to close out a game 2 if our offense came to play.  Otherwise, she's ready for game 3. 

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm not saying throw game 2 if we win tonight.  He may not have as much faith in his others as he does Dolcini, but we are no longer in the era of riding one horse through the supers and OKC.  I'd rather see what Czech/Simpson can give you and have Dolcini ready to close out a game 2 if our offense came to play.  Otherwise, she's ready for game 3. 

Exactly  !

Arkansas is a much, much better hitting team than Washington.   Check their stats.   Need to show them something different.

Edited by torre

1 hour ago, torre said:

Exactly  !

Arkansas is a much, much better hitting team than Washington.   Check their stats.   Need to show them something different.

Both Washington and Arkansas are HR hitting teams. Arkansas 4th in the country in HRs per game and Washington 9th in HRs per game. 

This is more reason why White stuck with Dolcini in all the games against Washington. She's a drop ball pitcher which = ground outs. That's what you want against teams that try to lift the ball for home runs. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Both Washington and Arkansas are HR hitting teams. Arkansas 4th in the country in HRs per game and Washington 9th in HRs per game. 

This is more reason why White stuck with Dolcini in all the games against Washington. She's a drop ball pitcher which = ground outs. That's what you want against teams that try to lift the ball for home runs. 

Dolcini isn't a drop ball pitcher.  She is primarily screw and curve pitcher, with a rise and change up on occasion. 

7 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Dolcini isn't a drop ball pitcher.  She is primarily screw and curve pitcher, with a rise and change up on occasion. 

I don't think I agree with this. I believe @FloridaHorn and I had this discussion before. 

Actually, FloridaHorn had the same thought process as me on the last page. He's far more knowledgeable in softball than me so what's your thought on this @FloridaHorn?

Edited by Rickylovesweed

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think I agree with this. I believe @FloridaHorn and I had this discussion before. 

Actually, FloridaHorn had the same thought process as me on the last page. He's far more knowledgeable in softball than me so what's your thought on this @FloridaHorn?

Dolcini can and does throw all the other pitches, but she is know as a down ball pitcher. She likes to keep the ball down, or run the screw ball in on the hitter's hands. Power hitters like the ball up, and out where they can extend their arms. IMHO, Dolicini will have to throw innings in all 3 games for us to win this series. Simpson has shown that she can keep hitters off balance with her change up, but she becomes hittable after a few times thru the order. Shea is also a drop ball pitcher, but she apparently lost her mojo somewhere between the team bus and the dining hall. Texas needs a complete game win from Dolcini tonight and probably 3-4 innings again tomorrow. If we lose one of those two, she will need to toe the rubber again in game 3 until she can't go any longer. Arkansas has tremendous power throughout their lineup, but they are not just an offensive team. Delce and Haff are both really good pitchers and can be dominant. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Shea is also a drop ball pitcher, but she apparently lost her mojo somewhere between the team bus and the dining hall. 

Fucking LOL.  But true.  Wtf even happened to her

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fucking LOL.  But true.  Wtf even happened to her

This remains the biggest mystery to me. She had games early in her career, where I thought she could be a front of the staff kind of pitcher. She has a head coach that is one of the best pitching coaches in the country and yet she has gotten worse every season.

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This remains the biggest mystery to me. She had games early in her career, where I thought she could be a front of the staff kind of pitcher. She has a head coach that is one of the best pitching coaches in the country and yet she has gotten worse every season.

In Shea's defense,  weight gain may be (certainly not sure) because of medication she takes for Graves Disease.    I read Graves Disease causes weight loss but you take antithyroid meds which can cause weight gain.

Also,  she has been here since 2019 and has not yet graduated.    Seems to be personal issues,  softball is an outlet.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, torre said:

In Shea's defense,  weight gain may be (certainly not sure) because of medication she takes for Graves Disease.    I read Graves Disease causes weight loss but you take antithyroid meds which can cause weight gain.

Also,  she has been here since 2019 and has not yet graduated.    Seems to be personal issues,  softball is an outlet.

She could be a summer 2022 or Fall 2022 graduate. She is coming back. Mary graduated Fall 2021 and played the spring 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The defense certainly ain’t thinking about it with 2 strikes. She got blown away with the fastball after battling all AB. 

Not a bunt or fake bunt. It puts both eyes directly on the ball and keeps them there