2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

13 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We slayed that dragon when we (finally) got rid of Connie.

Have you seen us play defense? Hell, let's just replay Mary trying to decapitate Elish in the Alabama Super Regional in 2019....

We may have slayed some postseason humiliations (especially home regional defeats in 2010 and 2011 and supers in 2012) but god damn, we are still embarrassing at times. 

Edited by Js1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Have you seen us play defense? Hell, let's just replay Mary trying to decapitate Elish in the Alabama Super Regional in 2019....

We may have slayed some postseason humiliations (especially home regional defeats in 2010 and 2011 and supers in 2012) but god damn, we are still embarrassing at times. 

Aren't all teams (outside of OU)?  Embarrassing vs laughing stock is a wide gap.

I don’t know how much NIL money is being spent on college softball but if you really want a bang for your buck buying a transfer pitcher every year is where it’s at. 

College softball is so dependent on having 1 workhorse pitcher. 

Connie was a shit coach and even she came close to winning a championship a few times by riding one pitcher (Cat and Luna). 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I hadn’t realized White was this consistent. That’s impressive. 

Hopefully White can get one of those shut down pitchers and fill out the rest of the staff.  getting Dolcini saved this year and White should get some credit for that.

the beginning of this year was a cluster but besides the debacle against Baylor they came back.  If you put the traitor on Texas and not OSU we likely end up second to OU.

This was a big win to keep momentum going for White and the program.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Hopefully White can get one of those shut down pitchers and fill out the rest of the staff.  getting Dolcini saved this year and White should get some credit for that.

the beginning of this year was a cluster but besides the debacle against Baylor they came back.  If you put the traitor on Texas and not OSU we likely end up second to OU.

Hundo percento, a huge win.

As mentioned, Texas has not won a road regional since 1998 - 11 tries, no regional championship, 16-22 record.  We were also 0-3 versus UW in regional play (0-2 in the 2009 Houston regional and 0-1 in the 2018 Seattle regional). 

Now we have another demon to get rid of it - our road woes in Supers.  Texas is 0-2 in road supers since the format changed, losing both times in 3 games (Tuscaloosa and Stillwater).   Texas has only won home regionals in 2005, 2006, 2012 and 2013. 

Jo Evans not even given the chance to retire

Texas A&M Director of Athletics Ross Bjork announced on Monday morning that head softball coach Jo Evans would not be offered another contract for next season.

• Haha 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Softball needs more parity to make it more interesting.

I do agree.  And we are seeing that this year thanks to the portal + 5th year seniors

• We had a bunch of first time hosts - UCF, Clemson, Duke.  Clemson is only in year 3 of their existence and Duke in year 5
  • UCF, Clemson, Duke and Miss St are in their first ever super regionals
  • Usual hosting teams like Arizona and Texas were 2 seeds who had to travel and won regionals
  • Northwestern is in their second super in the past couple seasons and VT in their second consecutive after a long drought between 2008 and 2021
  • Stanford making their first since 2011 and Oregon State making their first since 2006
  • Alabama had their 16 straight SR appearance streak snapped
  • Washington had their 5 straight SR appearance streak snapped (had been 11 of the past 12 years)

Fun regional weekend that saw a lot of surprises and some new faces making it to the second weekend of softball.  Plus a guarantee of 2 unseeded teams (Stanford/Oregon State and Arizona/Mississippi State) making it to the WCWS. 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Jo Evans not even given the chance to retire

OU slept they coach. LOL

In all seriousness, this should have been done 7-10 years ago. Question now is, how much money will they spend to get her replacement. They have great facilities, and are in a hotbed state for talent. I would be on the phone with Kenny Gajewski or Pete D'Amour asap.

Interesting that Texas/Arky and Clemson/OK State are the only Thursday-Saturday supers.  Probably could have and should have shifted one more into that slot, because some of those west/mountain time starts are insanely late for everyone else. 

And why the hell is there a game in Stillwater, OK at 8:30pm on a Thursday?  Jesus.  They should have done 3 on Thursday, shifted us up 2 hours and stuck one of the LA/Stanford/Tempe ones on Thursday night. 

Norman SR - #16 UCF vs. #1 OU
Friday, 3:30pm, ESPN2
Saturday, 1pm, ESPN
Sunday, TBD

Tempe SR - #9 NW vs. #8 ASU
Friday, 7pm, ESPNU
Saturday, 10pm, ESPN2
Sunday, TBD

Los Angeles SR - #12 Duke vs. #5 UCLA
Friday, 10pm, ESPN2
Saturday, 7:30pm, ESPN2
Sunday, TBD

Fayetteville SR - Texas vs. #4 Arkansas
Thursday, 6pm, ESPN2
Friday, 3pm, ESPN
Saturday, TBD

Blacksburg SR - #14 Florida vs. #3 Virginia Tech
Friday, 1pm, ESPN2
Saturday, 11am, ESPN
Sunday, TBD

Palo Alto SR - Oregon State vs. Stanford
Friday, 9:30pm, ESPNU
Saturday, 5pm, ESPNU
Sunday, TBD

Stillwater SR - #10 Clemson vs. #7 Ok State
Thursday, 8:30pm, ESPN2
Friday, 5pm, ESPN2
Sunday, TBD

Starkville SR - Arizona vs. Mississippi State
Friday, 11am, ESPNU
Saturday, 3pm, ESPNU
Sunday, TBD

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

C'mon Js1, Mary decapitating Elish should never be spoken about again. That was horrific and very avoidable but Mary is always going to Mary.

I maintain that Mike can and should upgrade his staff, no one should be safe "if" he can upgrade.

5 hours ago, dcar00 said:

The beginning of this year Mary was a team leader, Shea was a starter and Parker was our starting SS. Mike adjusted once he saw the product on the field and thankfully those True FR stepped up. He needs a better staff IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The only benefit of not hosting a regional is now Texas shouldn't be flustered playing on the road in the postseason. 

Nevermind on the 2nd part. 

Pretty sure, Hog fans will be much more vociferous and loud with every pitch against our ladies….being at Washington helped, but those Hogs will be nasty….it’s what they do…hope they are ready….but, I believe in our girls.

13 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I have a feeling we are gonna lose the super but would love to be wrong. Arkansas has been killing it this year. 

Arkansas vs. Texas is the type of match up that makes softball fun. You have a team in Arkansas that wants to lift the ball and hit HR's on every pitch, and you have Texas with Dolcini as a drop ball pitcher that is looking for ground ball aps.

52 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

What were the odds of her not coming back…..about 20-1?

Looks like she called Bjork’s bluff if it was a “resign/retire with dignity or you’re fired” and Jo was a hell no on that dignity thing. 

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

The beginning of this year Mary was a team leader, Shea was a starter and Parker was our starting SS. Mike adjusted once he saw the product on the field and thankfully those True FR stepped up. He needs a better staff IMO.

I don’t mind Singleton. Bartlett is a WTF bc idk what the fuck she’s doing. Granted our defense really stepped up in Seattle besides JJ’s error 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, how did aggy make a regional at 6-18 in conference and 29-26 overall? The won 2 true road games all year. 

I understand the SEC Is great in softball but that's some straight up SEC bias. 

SEC bias and they did take 2/3 Bama. The RPI is so rigged. Big conference = more average teams = more RPI 26-75 wins 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was really surprised looking at the Arkansas schedule. They only played 1 team all year that made a Super Regional (4-0 vs Florida). I think Florida will lose to Virginia Tech in that Super too. 

Texas played Oklahoma State (4 times), OU (3 times), Clemson (1 time), UCLA (1 time), UCF (1 time), Arizona State (1 time). All teams that made a Super Regional. 

14 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I predict 2 and BBQ. We'll see.  

Our last 2 supers under Mike have been on the road, with LWL so I'm going with that.

Dolcini gives you a great chance to take 1 of the first 2.  Then I think we run out of horses. 

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Pack your defense and we will be alright.

IF we play good defense
IF we get some clutch hitting
IF a pitcher besides Dolcini can step up, like Czech or Simpson

Maybe. 

It's going 3. That's all I got. Get to a third game and see what happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nope.  They've only had 2 chances, though, 2018 and 2021.

13 seeded in 2018, lost to OU in 2 games (7-2, 9-0)
6 seeded in 2021, lost to Arizona in 2 games (10-4, 4-1)

So it's not unheard of for them to lose a home super regional, just saying. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

We're going to miss JJ. The double play she turned in the 3rd was beautiful, high level stuff(as was Alyssa's play to quickly get her the ball from what looked like an in-between hop).

Mia and Alyssa played some ball, can't remember a game that meant something where 3B, SS & 2B played at that high of a level. Mia made some very difficult plays look routine.

Cimusz lacks confidence playing 1B. Too much hesitation on plays where muscle memory should take over.

Our OF does not breed confidence but they've been making most routine plays. Curious why Dayton is not in CF, Popelka seems to cede to her vs. leading the OF.

Piggie looks very, very tough. They seem above average at just about everything. Very good approach at the plate with some serious power hitters on offense. Good pitching, good defense & high SB IQ. Maybe I watched their best outings.

Be safe traveling if you're headed up, Hook'em!

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

We're going to miss JJ. The double play she turned in the 3rd was beautiful, high level stuff(as was Alyssa's play to quickly get her the ball from what looked like an in-between hop).

Mia and Alyssa played some ball, can't remember a game that meant something where 3B, SS & 2B played at that high of a level. Mia made some very difficult plays look routine.

Cimusz lacks confidence playing 1B. Too much hesitation on plays where muscle memory should take over.

Our OF does not breed confidence but they've been making most routine plays. Curious why Dayton is not in CF, Popelka seems to cede to her vs. leading the OF.

Piggie looks very, very tough. They seem above average at just about everything. Very good approach at the plate with some serious power hitters on offense. Good pitching, good defense & high SB IQ. Maybe I watched their best outings.

Be safe traveling if you're headed up, Hook'em!

We will miss JJ for a lot of things.  Mia is growing into that 3B spot. 

We bring it the top rated catcher, so Cimusz can catch or DP in tandem with the new girl, especially if we got that SFA transfer 1B who can play every day.  You're right, she let a UW runner on base on a routine play where she had no idea if she wanted to tag or toss to JJ for the out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hmmm, probably doesn't mean anything because it was during the first week of softball but Washington beat Arky 8-0 and 10-5.   I still think the sec..sec..sec is overrated in softball, like in every sport every year.   We'll see.   But Dolcini pretty well shut down ou, and I am pretty sure ou is better than sewage pig.   

Edited by orangeut
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, orangeut said:

Hmmm, probably doesn't mean anything because it was during the first week of softball but Washington beat Arky 8-0 and 10-5.   I still think the sec..sec..sec is overrated in softball, like in every sport every year.   We'll see.   But Dolcini pretty well shut down ou, and I am pretty sure ou is better than sewage pig.   

Dolcini got much better as the season progressed

Alabama - 5.2 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs
Minnesota - 4 IP, 2 hits, 2 runs
ULL - 5.2 IP, 5 hits, 2 runs
LSU - 7 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs
OU - 7 IP, 3 hits, 3 runs
OU - 7 IP, 2 hits, 2 runs
OK State - 8.1 IP, 6 hits, 3 runs
OK State - 6 IP, 2 hits, 2 runs
UW - 7 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs
UW - 4 hits, 2 runs
UW - 7 IP, 7 hits, 2 runs

If HD keeps Pig to 0-3 runs, Texas wins. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

When Dolcini announced she was transferring to Texas, I said on this thread, that she could pitch us to OKC. That was before I realized that Shea apparently forgot how to pitch. Dolcini is a tough match up for Arkansas, but the piggies can go two deep with Delce and Haff. I agree with Js1, Texas just needs to try and get to game 3 and then see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

When Dolcini announced she was transferring to Texas, I said on this thread, that she could pitch us to OKC. That was before I realized that Shea apparently forgot how to pitch. Dolcini is a tough match up for Arkansas, but the piggies can go two deep with Delce and Haff. I agree with Js1, Texas just needs to try and get to game 3 and then see what happens. 

We almost got to OKC after *the incident* in Tuscaloosa. We lost 8-5, with 2 errors, with Bolinger, Shea and Ariana Adams pitching.  (Granted it was 7-1 in the 4th until Rhodes hit a GS in the 5th).  We rallied to win game 2 after *the incident* 

In 2021, we were even closer.  Lost 2-0 to OSU in game 3, and that was with Shea pitching. Two 5th inning hits did us in.  Shea pitched us to a game 2 win. 

Looking ahead to the offseason portal, some intriguing pitchers have put their names in.  Texas is looking to replace Dolcini. 

Alabama's Lexi Kilfoyl - 2.36 ERA in 80 IP, 79 K to 32 walks; occasionally bats as well, .308 with 1 HR and 3 RBI in 13 ABs.  Had a 1.62 ERA in 2021

Michigan's Alex Storako - 1.71 ERA in 200.1 IP, 300 K to 64 walks.  1.05 ERA in 2021

Also expecting chaos regardless - Alabama has 5 players in the portal already, LSU with 5 players now, and UW with quite a few. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like theres lots of dissension at Bama. Tow was sleeping with someone's boyfriend and there was a fight after the Aggie series that Murphy had to break up. 

Wonder what's up at LSU and Washington? Beth being Beth and not developing players? Has Tarr lost her touch?

Any rumors about who might be portalling from the Longhorns?

11 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Sounds like theres lots of dissension at Bama. Tow was sleeping with someone's boyfriend and there was a fight after the Aggie series that Murphy had to break up. 

Wonder what's up at LSU and Washington? Beth being Beth and not developing players? Has Tarr lost her touch?

Any rumors about who might be portalling from the Longhorns?

Bama has definite locker room issues.  I had read there was also some locker room bullying. 

UW, I dunno.  LSU - Beth's seat has to be as hot as possible, she's really not developing any players.  2 and Q in the regional was very bad. 

Michigan has 3 or so in the portal already, including their ace.  Hutchins needs to retire. 

We will definitely see some attrition, it's just natural - dunno who though.  If I had to look at the roster and pick possible ones:

• Mya Holmes with the OF log jam
  • Vanessa Quiroga
  • Jordyn Whitaker
  • Ashton Maloney
  • Carlee Ratcliff
  • Camille Corona

Cantu, Hulon, Czech and Gilbert already used their free transfers, so I'd expect them all to stick around, regardless of playing time, unless they have degrees and can grad transfer for free. 

Edited by Js1

Cantu was  the only one on the Spring grad list.

Being overly pessimistic,  I have concerns about Simpson.   She doesn't look happy, intimidated by MW,  alot likely has to do with her age/adjusting to this level.   Perhaps a positive showing in the SR will help if she has that opportunity.    This is where a strong female assistant can build confidence.   With her previous high accolades, her family may have concerns.    Again, overly pessimistic.    Really hope she stays and is successful.

But MW has yet to develop a freshman pitcher at Texas.  Both transferred (White, Green).

Day may be a concern if she is not satisfied with her role as DP/DH,  limited pitching.

But we have the geat advantage of offering a UT education.

https://texassports.com/news/2022/5/19/texas-athletics-ut-athletics-announces-2022-spring-commencement-participants.aspx

Brianna Cantu

Softball

Economics, minor in Business

Edited by torre

On 5/24/2022 at 2:24 PM, FloridaHorn said:

Let's just win the first two games ... and come home!

2 hours ago, torre said:

Cantu was  the only one on the Spring grad list.

Being overly pessimistic,  I have concerns about Simpson.   She doesn't look happy, intimidated by MW,  alot likely has to do with her age/adjusting to this level.   Perhaps a positive showing in the SR will help if she has that opportunity.    This is where a strong female assistant can build confidence.   With her previous high accolades, her family may have concerns.    Again, overly pessimistic.    Really hope she stays and is successful.

But MW has yet to develop a freshman pitcher at Texas.  Both transferred (White, Green).

Day may be a concern if she is not satisfied with her role as DP/DH,  limited pitching.

I do always worry about young pitchers like Green, White, Simpson.  Losing 2 of them sucked, albeit we did go out and get Dolcini and Czech when White left. 

Yes, you can always find pitching in the portal, but homegrown talent like Simpson you don't want to let get away.  I know she had a mid-season injury that maybe she hasn't been 100% back from (shoulder, I think?) and maybe Texas is now focusing on her recovery, versus trotting her back out there. 

The portal era is going to end up with less "trust the process and coaches" and more "didn't get my way, GOODBYE!" 

Also if Cantu has her degree, I could see her leaving again.  She's a utility player, but really lost her 3B spot to Scott and DP has been Day/Cimusz/Whitaker. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Bama has definite locker room issues.  I had read there was also some locker room bullying. 

UW, I dunno.  LSU - Beth's seat has to be as hot as possible, she's really not developing any players.  2 and Q in the regional was very bad. 

Michigan has 3 or so in the portal already, including their ace.  Hutchins needs to retire. 

We will definitely see some attrition, it's just natural - dunno who though.  If I had to look at the roster and pick possible ones:

• Mya Holmes with the OF log jam
  • Vanessa Quiroga
  • Jordyn Whitaker
  • Ashton Maloney
  • Carlee Ratcliff
  • Camille Corona

Cantu, Hulon, Czech and Gilbert already used their free transfers, so I'd expect them all to stick around, regardless of playing time, unless they have degrees and can grad transfer for free. 

Agreed 1000% on Torina. She is a bad game manager, plays to her favorites, has terrible assistants and is in general a bad person. I would watch for a couple more big name transfers out of LSU, and hopefully one of them is the Pleasants kid who is from Houston. That would be a nice LH bat in the middle of the order.

• Hook 'Em 1