2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

This team fucked around at the beginning of the season, but I have to give it MW for getting this bunch to the supers. Wow. 

This. I figured a patented Connie-esque 2-2 regional record, getting trounced on the road, was in the cards.  First road regional win since 98 I think. 

Dolcini dragged this team to supers. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This result and the Missouri result absolutely show the committee got it wrong for trying to be cute and/or let geographical considerations trump tr performance. 

Nah it was SEC bias. More average teams in a 15 team conference = more middling wins. Big 12 was top heavy as fuck, but with only 7 teams, it’s great wins or bad wins - there’s no in between.  We should have swept Baylor and we’d probably have hosted. 

Oh well, into the supers we go 

Edited by Js1

Dolcini pitched 21 innings versus UW on the road in 3 straight contests over 2 days

2 hits, 3 runs (a 2 run HR in the 1st)
4 hits, 2 runs (a 2 run HR in the 6th)
2 runs, 7 hits (both unearned in the 7th)

21 innings and UW never scored in more than 3 of them.  Besides the error by JJ in the 7th last night, it looked like fatigue for Dolcini. 

Not that Texas was THAT much better against (mostly) Plain, but had way more opportunities. 

8 hits, 8 runs (3 in the 6th and 5 in the 7th)
6 hits, 1 run (1 in the 5th)
7 hits, 3 runs (2 in the 5th, 1 in the 7th) 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:00 PM, Js1 said:

2 seed losing in the regional champ game. Like Connie never left! 

On 5/13/2022 at 6:12 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

1-6 against the Okie schools this year. Was the 🖕 by White enough to fire him with cause? 

On 5/13/2022 at 6:17 PM, Js1 said:

Probably not but I’d allow it

B10CCAF4-214A-48A8-88FB-051AC12B707C.png.d4ad026326de89895c320ada9b6d8874.png

• Haha 3

Not a long or storied history for Texas - 2022 is only our 7th super regional appearance.  The first time we've made 3 straight appearances in history - Clark only made 2 in a row twice (2005-2006 and 2012-2013), helped by 1 dominant ace (Osterman and Luna).

Mike has done it with Elish/Bolinger/O'Leary, O'Leary/Jacobsen and Dolcini/Czech/Simpson. 

The man knows what he's doing.  He just can't figure out OU/OK State. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rumor is Jo Evans is finally retiring (good, they are terrible) and Kenny G is the frontrunner for that job.

His wife, former Texas-turned-aggy pitcher Rachel Fox, is probably a big reason why. 

Edited by Js1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Rumor is Jo Evans is finally retiring (good, they are terrible) and Kenny G is the frontrunner for that job.

His wife, former Texas-turned-aggy pitcher Rachel Fox, is probably a big reason why. 

so he'll own us at aggy in the SEC instead of Okie state in Big 12? Lovely.   

Nobody is going to own White if given time. His trajectory at Texas is almost identical to Oregon. 

Year 1 at Oregon: 6th in the PAC 12 and Supers

Year 2 at Oregon: 3rd in the PAC 12 and Supers

Year 3 at Oregon: 3rd in the PAC 12 and College World Series.

He didn’t start stacking College World Series appearances until year 5. Conference titles started rolling in year 4. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

so he'll own us at aggy in the SEC instead of Okie state in Big 12? Lovely.   

I mean, probably, but one less potential super regional opposing coach to worry about (barring upsets or the committee doing a bunch of bullshit SEC-SEC matchups of national seeds) 

The SEC is going to be wild - Gasso, Mike White, Patrick Murphy (Bama), Tim Walton (UF), Courtney Deifel (Arky), possibly Kenny G (A&M), Sam Ricketts (Miss St), Tony Baldwin (UGA), Larissa Anderson (Mizzou), Mickey Dean (Auburn), Karen Weekly (Tennessee).  I highly doubt Beth Torina (LSU) is still going to be there by the time we get to 2024.  Her seat is HOT. 

SEC Football, MBB, WBB, Baseball and Softball is going to be a party. 

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Nobody is going to own White if given time. His trajectory at Texas is almost identical to Oregon. 

Year 1 at Oregon: 6th in the PAC 12 and Supers

Year 2 at Oregon: 3rd in the PAC 12 and Supers

Year 3 at Oregon: 3rd in the PAC 12 and College World Series.

He didn’t start stacking College World Series appearances until year 5. Conference titles started rolling in year 4. 

I mean, just Gasso, but that bitch owns everyone.  

The trajectory is there, I just want more consistent pitching from the pitching guru.  The talent is starting to stack (Simpson, Cimusz, Scott last season and some really good talent for 2023 coming in), that's for damn sure, and we are attractive for transfers (Dolcini, Lou Gilbert, Bella Dayton just this past offseason).

Really want that power hitting 1B from SFA and another pitcher to pair with Czech, Simpson and Citlaly.  Two of the top 3 IFs in the class of 2023 are headed to Texas, so someone is going to get Jefferson's spot at 2B and the other might displace Alyssa Washington at SS.  OF looks fine with Popelka, Gilbert, Bella and Mya Holmes. 

Edited by Js1

I want more consistency but some of the reactions (or I guess overreactions) have been amusing. 

Joffe, for example, didn’t make it out of the round of 16 until what year 5 if you don’t include the Covid season? 

I have little doubt that White will have this program as an annual College World Series participant. My only question is if he can win national championship.