2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yeah I don’t know softball coaches like I do for womens basketball, but you can tell in reading texags that they are forcing themselves to like the hire. 

Same with the women’s basketball hire from what I could tell. I’m not as familiar with women’s basketball but they were meh on that hire also. 

Looks like to me they tried to land a big fish in both and settled with decent coaches. 

2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

They had to throw out the biggest contract in NCAA Football history to get Jimbo. Nobody wants to go to aggy unless they pay record levels. (Except for schlossengrabber who was running from marital issue or something allegedly)

Divorce and banging coeds. Perfect timing and luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Personally, I think Arizona State can upgrade over Trisha Ford. 

I mean, it's not THAT hard to find a coach who can win about 70% of their games, 60% of their Pac-12 games, win 1 conference title and go to 1 WCWS in 5 full seasons. 

Especially at a school like ASU that has 2 national championships and 12 WCWS appearances. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

I mean, it's not THAT hard to find a coach who can win about 70% of their games, 60% of their Pac-12 games, win 1 conference title and go to 1 WCWS in 5 full seasons. 

Especially at a school like ASU that has 2 national championships and 12 WCWS appearances. 

Yeah, that's the thing. This isn't Deifel and a school like Arkansas where she had to build a program from the ground up. Arizona State is a good softball program with history. 

There's nothing impressive about Ford's resume in the context of Arizona State. She's not a bad coach but a lot of other coaches could have accomplished much more there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TexasIsBetter said:

Man, still riding that high from last night. What a badass group of girls this is. 

Same.  Woke up like "did that shit really happen?  Did we really beat OSU twice, after going 0-4 against them in the regular season?" 

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

ESPN Has to be thrilled to get a TX/OU matchup vs an all Okie one.

Cannot believe the ladies pulled that comeback off. Awesome moment.

Yep - ESPN getting to pimp Red River Rivalry for the title.   Gotta love that - the best rivalry in college sports. 

OU has played Texas and OSU 4 times each this season.  It's barely indistinguishable in terms of record/runs scored and allowed.  Texas played 2 bad games and had 2 close games and won a 2-run game.  OSU had 2 bad games and 2 close games and won a 1-run game.  

OU vs. Texas - 3-1 record, 21-7 run differential (3-0, 9-1, 2-4, 7-2) 
OU vs. OSU - 3-1 record, 21-8 run differential (7-1, 6-0, 5-3, 3-4) 

Only interesting decision going into this series is what White does with Burke. 

Last night he decided to go with a big bat and used Burke as a defensive substitution. I think we are going need a lot of runs in these games. My guess is White takes the same approach prioritizing bats that have the potential to hit for power. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

The WCWS is now on it's 3rd ever same conference champ series since it was introduced in 2005.  It's been a different conference matchup every time. 

2010 - UCLA and Arizona (Pac 10)
2014 - Florida and Alabama (SEC)
2022 - Texas and OU (Big 12)

4 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I agree the resume is fine, but she is not a great coach. They would have been better off keeping Craig Snyder. My guess is that he goes to SFA now.

Would Tech consider him? 

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Same.  Woke up like "did that shit really happen?  Did we really beat OSU twice, after going 0-4 against them in the regular season?" 

Yep - ESPN getting to pimp Red River Rivalry for the title.   Gotta love that - the best rivalry in college sports. 

OU has played Texas and OSU 4 times each this season.  It's barely indistinguishable in terms of record/runs scored and allowed.  Texas played 2 bad games and had 2 close games and won a 2-run game.  OSU had 2 bad games and 2 close games and won a 1-run game.  

OU vs. Texas - 3-1 record, 21-7 run differential (3-0, 9-1, 2-4, 7-2) 
OU vs. OSU - 3-1 record, 21-8 run differential (7-1, 6-0, 5-3, 3-4) 

• Hook 'Em 2

The SEC in a couple years is going to have at least 3 (or 4, if we do it) championship coaches and 1 (or 2, if we don't do it) runner up coaches. 

Tim Walton (2 titles, 3 runner up finishes)
Pat Murphy (1 title, 1 runner up finish)
Karen Weekly (2 runner up finishes)
Mike White (either 1 title or 1 runner up finish)
Patty Gasso (5 or 6 titles, 2 or 3 runner up finishes)

Beth Torina has 4 WCWS appearances. Rachel Lawson and Trisha Ford each have a WCWS appearance under their belt as well. 

Oh yeah and 4 coaches with over 1,000 wins in their career (Walton, Murphy, Gasso, Weekly). 

SEC Softball, Baseball, MBB and WBB are going to be in-fucking-sane. 

5 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

She admitted in the post game presser that she was gassed. She was trying to gut it out for her teammates, but fatigue was winning. So glad Texas won the game, but sad for Kenny at the same time. He is a great guy and a really good coach. OSU is lucky to have him.

This…saying things did not go their way…lot of little things….said he thinks they never had more than one error in a game, having 3 in this 2nd game…I noticed that in the press conference, Horns weren’t given any credit for their play…

6 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

She admitted in the post game presser that she was gassed. She was trying to gut it out for her teammates, but fatigue was winning. So glad Texas won the game, but sad for Kenny at the same time. He is a great guy and a really good coach. OSU is lucky to have him.

It's interesting that she was so fatigued.  She was cruising until the 4th inning.  Possibly why Kenny didn't start her in game 1 of the semis.  She had some low stress work until game 2 of the semifinals (6.5 games or so from May 12 to June 6).  OSU was undefeated in the postseason from the Big 12 tournament until the semifinals, so it's not like she had to throw extra games like Texas did.  

Dolcini is fucking jealous of Maxwell's 692 pitches in the postseason 😂

OSU probably could have gotten out of the regional without pitching her once.  Could have saved her some innings.  Losing Elish was just so tough for them - you hate to see it, but most importantly, you love to see them watching the finals from their couch. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Would Tech consider him? 

Sorry for the double reply, but I wanted to add. If I were Tech, I would hire Rodney Delong from North Texas. That dude is legit. Spent one season at Austin Peay and turned a dumpster fire into a conference title and his work at North Texas has been just as impressive. He has a tremendous eye for talent, especially on the pitching side of things. If Tech doesn't grab him up, he will be hired somewhere else, very soon.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's interesting that she was so fatigued.  She was cruising until the 4th inning.  Possibly why Kenny didn't start her in game 1 of the semis.  She had some low stress work until game 2 of the semifinals (6.5 games or so from May 12 to June 6).  OSU was undefeated in the postseason from the Big 12 tournament until the semifinals, so it's not like she had to throw extra games like Texas did.  

Dolcini is fucking jealous of Maxwell's 692 pitches in the postseason 😂

OSU probably could have gotten out of the regional without pitching her once.  Could have saved her some innings.  Losing Elish was just so tough for them - you hate to see it, but most importantly, you love to see them watching the finals from their couch. 

I was watching her pitch count her up over 100, 120 and wondering if there’s a level of fatigue that affects precision even if you can keep going. This would have been after the three run innings, so no runs came from it, but the inning she started 3-0 to the first 3 hitters. I was wondering I’d fatigue was there enough to affect her control. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was watching her pitch count her up over 100, 120 and wondering if there’s a level of fatigue that affects precision even if you can keep going. This would have been after the three run innings, so no runs came from it, but the inning she started 3-0 to the first 3 hitters. I was wondering I’d fatigue was there enough to affect her control. 

Softball pitchers, especially power pitchers like Maxwell, can throw until their legs give out. They don't usually get arm fatigue, unless there is an injury. However, the legs get tired, the back gets tired, and then the mechanics go to shit and control is lost. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It may have been fatigue but it was also pressure. 

After the 3 run HR from Day you could tell Maxwell was feeling the pressure. 

Pressure makes diamonds, but it also burst pipes. Last night we saw the pressure burst pipes for OSU. Mia Scott's aggressive base running directly caused the 2nd error and allowed us to take the lead. Even their coach felt the Pressure.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Pressure makes diamonds, but it also burst pipes. Last night we saw the pressure burst pipes for OSU. Mia Scott's aggressive base running directly caused the 2nd error and allowed us to take the lead. Even their coach felt the Pressure.

Kenny and KIP can hang out this week wondering they if they made the wrong choices - KIP starting Azevedo in game 2 and Kenny not going for the deathblow of Maxwell in game 1 while Mike and Patty fight over the title 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't keep up with recruiting. What do the next few classes look like in recruiting? 

I've seen on twitter there's a good SS coming in? Or am I wrong? 

Martinez and Goode are highly ranked INFs and Atwood is the top catching prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't keep up with recruiting. What do the next few classes look like in recruiting? 

I've seen on twitter there's a good SS coming in? Or am I wrong? 

as Js1 said, the positional players in the class are strong. Atwood will get immediate playing time, and either Martinez or Good will push for JJ's spot at 2b. Mike White MUST go portal hunting for a pitcher. Hope Trautwine was at North Texas, so there are really good ones out there. I was hoping for Storako, but I just heard from her former Michigan teammate that she is looking hard at Florida State. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

as Js1 said, the positional players in the class are strong. Atwood will get immediate playing time, and either Martinez or Good will push for JJ's spot at 2b. Mike White MUST go portal hunting for a pitcher. Hope Trautwine was at North Texas, so there are really good ones out there. I was hoping for Storako, but I just heard from her former Michigan teammate that she is looking hard at Florida State. 

FSU or UF felt like the choice for a while. I’m interested if Mike goes for his former UO pitching recruit who entered the portal 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I recently retired so I have time to follow the Olympic sports closer. 

I was introduced to the softball forum on twitter and is that site all OU fans? I went over there to get an idea of who is in the transfer portal and it's constant shitting on Texas. 

Sounds like volleytalk.  

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I recently retired so I have time to follow the Olympic sports closer. 

I was introduced to the softball forum on twitter and is that site all OU fans? I went over there to get an idea of who is in the transfer portal and it's constant shitting on Texas. 

To be fair, we constantly shit on Texas here too...soooo, the internet?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sounds like volleytalk.  

Same as UCS forum - they hate White and really hate Iakopo.

Even UConn Boneyard WBB hates Texas/Vic for his style. Reddit not much better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sounds like volleytalk.  

Never been over there but from following the volleyball thread it sounds similar to the softball site. 

Not to show my age but I was active on Hornsfan back in the day and took a long break from fan forums like these. Recently came back after my niece joined the rowing team because of interest in the Olympic sports. 

Just from getting involved again with all this it's a bit shocking how upset Texas makes other schools. At least that's what I've seen. 

29 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Never been over there but from following the volleyball thread it sounds similar to the softball site. 

Not to show my age but I was active on Hornsfan back in the day and took a long break from fan forums like these. Recently came back after my niece joined the rowing team because of interest in the Olympic sports. 

Just from getting involved again with all this it's a bit shocking how upset Texas makes other schools. At least that's what I've seen. 

This you?

8FC8F123-08C6-492D-97CE-4DB0B590049D.webp

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

LFG.

Oh they actually sent someone from the AAShole paper to cover this? Bc this morning, all they did was piggyback on the Oklahoman and post their article on hookem.com

• Rage+1 1