2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Summary of the Texas PC because I watched this morning.  Day, Czech and Dolcini were the 3 players with Mike. 

• Czech and Dolcini talked about trusting their defense the last few days (ha, who would have said that a couple months ago when we were making 3 or 4 errors per game) - "hell of a game" Czech called game 1
  • Dolcini talked about the fifth year seniors just embracing this, no one expected them to be here, so they don't feel any pressure (echoes Mike's "carefree but not careless") 
  • Day talked about Coach Singleton and her going through different stances to find the one she was most comfortable with to take advantage of mistake pitches (I think they found it)
  • Mike talked about how improbable this was, how the coaches have learned a lot this season in how to relate to this generation of players and how to accommodate them while also getting them into position to succeed
  • Mentioned how Texas almost always beat itself against OSU in the 4 previous games this season, finally caught some breaks in game 2 but came out focused and ready in game 1 - had to get through Maxwell, but had to get TO Maxwell first by winning game 1 and they knew that 
  • Talked about how the record is 0-0, both teams have to win 2 games in 3 chances. 

Interesting to hear Maxwell say she was both fatigued and also felt a lot of pressure - she has owned Texas, OSU has owned Texas and she pitched Thursday/Saturday and had 2 off days.  Fatigue was interesting.  Whereas Dolcini has pitched A LOT and retired 6 straight OSU batters (and 9 of 10) to end the game after Texas took the lead. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Summary of the Texas PC because I watched this morning.  Day, Czech and Dolcini were the 3 players with Mike. 

• Czech and Dolcini talked about trusting their defense the last few days (ha, who would have said that a couple months ago when we were making 3 or 4 errors per game) - "hell of a game" Czech called game 1
  • Dolcini talked about the fifth year seniors just embracing this, no one expected them to be here, so they don't feel any pressure (echoes Mike's "carefree but not careless") 
  • Day talked about Coach Singleton and her going through different stances to find the one she was most comfortable with to take advantage of mistake pitches (I think they found it)
  • Mike talked about how improbable this was, how the coaches have learned a lot this season in how to relate to this generation of players and how to accommodate them while also getting them into position to succeed
  • Mentioned how Texas almost always beat itself against OSU in the 4 previous games this season, finally caught some breaks in game 2 but came out focused and ready in game 1 - had to get through Maxwell, but had to get TO Maxwell first by winning game 1 and they knew that 
  • Talked about how the record is 0-0, both teams have to win 2 games in 3 chances. 

Interesting to hear Maxwell say she was both fatigued and also felt a lot of pressure - she has owned Texas, OSU has owned Texas and she pitched Thursday/Saturday and had 2 off days.  Fatigue was interesting.  Whereas Dolcini has pitched A LOT and retired 6 straight OSU batters (and 9 of 10) to end the game after Texas took the lead. 

I loved Coach White's line about telling the girls that they were playing for room keys. He wasn't ready to turn his in, so they had to keep winning to keep their keys. He and this team have somehow found themselves in the middle of a season. Coach White has pushed all the right buttons in this tournament, and he said this has been his most difficult coaching season to date....I would add that it has also been his best.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

If you include the 2 games in the Big 12 championship, Dolcini has thrown 935 pitches over 10 games dating back to May 12. 

Luna threw 989 pitches in the postseason in 2013 - 9 games from May 17 to June 2

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I loved Coach White's line about telling the girls that they were playing for room keys. He wasn't ready to turn his in, so they had to keep winning to keep their keys. He and this team have somehow found themselves in the middle of a season. Coach White has pushed all the right buttons in this tournament, and he said this has been his most difficult coaching season to date....I would add that it has also been his best.

He said the girls told him this is the best team he's ever had.  

I wouldn't go that far, but they have absolutely been his best team ever in terms of what they are playing for, and probably his best postseason team.  Mike had been to OKC 5 times before this one and never got out of the semifinals (2014 and 2018).  His 50-11, 56-9, 54-8 and 53-10 teams couldn't get to this title series, but this plucky little 47-20-1 team is 2 wins away from the whole shebang. 

His teams tended to go to OKC stressed, anxious, filled with pressure and unable to score runs.  Mike mellowed and so did his team. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If you include the 2 games in the Big 12 championship, Dolcini has thrown 935 pitches over 10 games dating back to May 12. 

Luna threw 989 pitches in the postseason in 2013 - 9 games from May 17 to June 2

I hope she's got at least one more game in her.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also the room key line was great, but I liked my joke better that the team hates Austin and doesn't want to go back to real life yet.  Or maybe they aren't ready to go back to the weather. 

OKC weather, Wed to Fri: 81-67, 88-73, 90-67
ATX weather, Wed to Fri: 102-75, 101-75, 105-77

Czech is only a sophomore correct? 2 more years left? I really doubted her, especially after seeing her vs Baylor, but she has been tremendous this postseason. Very happy for her. And I hope SS gets a shot to prove herself again 

Edited by TexasIsBetter

9 minutes ago, TexasIsBetter said:

Czech is only a sophomore correct? 2 more years left? I really doubted her, especially after seeing her vs Baylor, but she has been tremendous this postseason. Very happy for her. And I hope SS gets a shot to prove herself again 

Czech and Simpson make up for any short comings with their will power and determination. If they can bottle that intensity and use it, they will be great over the next few years.

19 minutes ago, TexasIsBetter said:

You could tell Maxwell was feeling the pressure the later it got, especially after Day hit the home run. 

She admitted in the post game presser that she was gassed. She was trying to gut it out for her teammates, but fatigue was winning. So glad Texas won the game, but sad for Kenny at the same time. He is a great guy and a really good coach. OSU is lucky to have him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, rumor is the ags have settled on Trish Ford as their new head coach. They have fucked up this coaching search about as much as we did Post Mack Brown. They made public swings at several big names, getting them all more money, and then made a meh hire out of desperation.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TexasIsBetter said:

Amanda S talked a lot yesterday about how it was all mental with Czech - she started off great, went into a big slump (but her spin and location was still exactly where it needed to be) and found another level in the postseason. 

This team is also young - so the future is so bright.

Dayton, Washington, Day, Smith and Czech are all sophomores
Scott, Cimusz and Simpson are just freshmen
We have some top players coming (Martinez, Goode, Atwood) for the fall

Texas just needs to go find another pitcher and another power bat in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Also, rumor is the ags have settled on Trish Ford as their new head coach. They have fucked up this coaching search about as much as we did Post Mack Brown. They made public swings at several big names, getting them all more money, and then made a meh hire out of desperation.

212-89 career record
Took Fresno State to two regionals and took ASU to the WCWS in 2018 and the supers last year

She's never coached east of Arizona though - Saint Mary's, Stanford, Fresno St and Arizona State.  A fine resume, but will that resonate with Texas kids, when you have OU, Texas, Ok State, Arkansas, Alabama and LSU? 

Edited by Js1

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

I bet they're doubling her salary.

Rumor was they offered similar deals to Kenny G and Alameda (and maybe Walton and Deifel).  Think she's making like $200k or something at ASU.  

Pac 12 is notoriously cheap with coaches.  The only reason coaches like Heather Tarr and KIP don't leave their meh salaries is they are playing at their alma maters (and have won championships). 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I gotta say, man....this team is something else.

Getting to "know" these players by name and watching them play with such heart/grit has been fucking awesome.

Hook em!!

This is exactly what underdog teams do.  People tuned into the NCAAT to watch Saint Peter's run to the Elite 8 through Kentucky and Purdue.  People tune it to watch unseeded Texas run all the way to the champ series, taking down Washington, Arkansas, UCLA, Arizona and Ok State to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I bet they're doubling her salary.

Probably more than double. ASU is notorious about being cheap when it comes to softball. They lost Clint Myers to Auburn for this very reason. I am guessing they go cheap again and promote Jimmy Kolatis to head coach.

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

212-89 career record
Took Fresno State to two regionals and took ASU to the WCWS in 2018 and the supers last year

She's never coached east of Arizona though - Saint Mary's, Stanford, Fresno St and Arizona State.  A fine resume, but will that resonate with Texas kids, when you have OU, Texas, Ok State, Arkansas, Alabama and LSU? 

I agree the resume is fine, but she is not a great coach. They would have been better off keeping Craig Snyder. My guess is that he goes to SFA now.

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Probably more than double. ASU is notorious about being cheap when it comes to softball. They lost Clint Myers to Auburn for this very reason. I am guessing they go cheap again and promote Jimmy Kolatis to head coach.

If she's at $200k or so now, I could see $500-700k.  They like to spend money and will pretend they never got turned down by a handful of other coaches. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

If she's at $200k or so now, I could see $500-700k.  They like to spend money and will pretend they never got turned down by a handful of other coaches. 

No doubt. We will start hearing stories of how she was the only candidate they pursued any minute. I still think there 6-12 coaches who would've moved the needle a bit more for them, and that is after the list of 4 that supposedly turned them down.

D'Amour (Va Tech)

Rocha (asst at OU)

Lawson (Kentucky)

Rittman (Clemson)

Drohan (Northwestern)

Young (Duke)

All of those, except Rittman, could've been had for that salary range. I am guessing Rittman would cost 800K or better.

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

No doubt. We will start hearing stories of how she was the only candidate they pursued any minute. I still think there 6-12 coaches who would've moved the needle a bit more for them, and that is after the list of 4 that supposedly turned them down.

D'Amour (Va Tech)

Rocha (asst at OU)

Lawson (Kentucky)

Rittman (Clemson)

Drohan (Northwestern)

Young (Duke)

All of those, except Rittman, could've been had for that salary range. I am guessing Rittman would cost 800K or better.

All but Rocha, yes.  I think JT Gasso or Rocha would have been excellent candidates, but aggy is gonna aggy - they want a head coach, not an up and coming assistant.  

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All but Rocha, yes.  I think JT Gasso or Rocha would have been excellent candidates, but aggy is gonna aggy - they want a head coach, not an up and coming assistant.  

I am starting to wonder if Rocha wants to be a head coach. She is a nice lady, a great recruiter, and a great pitching coach. She has had opportunities to leave both Florida and Oklahoma, but has chosen to remain an assistant. Maybe she is content being on the bucket in the dugout. As for JT Gasso, I am guessing he is waiting for Mom to retire so he can be handed the reigns. Any school hiring him would have to be leery of him leaving in a couple of years to return to OU.

Edited by FloridaHorn

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

I am starting to wonder if Rocha wants to be a head coach. She is a nice lady, a great recruiter, and a great pitching coach. She has had opportunities to leave both Florida and Oklahoma, but has chosen to remain an assistant. Maybe she is content being on the bucket in the dugout.

Thought the same about Lombardi - 20 years at OU as an assistant, including for 4 title teams.  Finally took the Oregon job when Mike left. 

Rocha may not feel she's ready yet or the right job hasn't opened up/come calling. 

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is exactly what underdog teams do.  People tuned into the NCAAT to watch Saint Peter's run to the Elite 8 through Kentucky and Purdue.  People tune it to watch unseeded Texas run all the way to the champ series, taking down Washington, Arkansas, UCLA, Arizona and Ok State to do it. 

I'm not saying you're completely wrong...but I don't think I'm willing to put UT and St. Peter's in the same conversation as compelling underdogs. 

They're compelling to me, though, no doubt.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm not saying you're completely wrong...but I don't think I'm willing to put UT and St. Peter's in the same conversation as compelling underdogs. 

They're compelling to me, though, no doubt.

Maybe not Saint Peter's, but they look a lot like 2021 Texas WBB who ran through a #3 seed and a #2 seed to the Elite 8 as a #6 seed. 

Maybe similar to 2021 USC (#6 seed who ran to the Elite 8 in the MBB Tournament) or NC State/UVA making it to Omaha in 2021. 

You aren't predicted to go this far, even though you have before, but it's been a while.  You pick up fans along the way.

Edited by Js1

I'd like to think the UCLA/Arizona/Oregon State/Florida/Northwestern fans who are sticking around will be on our side.  

OSU fans will probably be trying not to cry themselves off a ledge.  Blew it against Texas and now one of the Big 12 "traitors" are going to win the title. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Maybe not Saint Peter's, but they look a lot like 2021 Texas WBB who ran through a #3 seed and a #2 seed to the Elite 8 as a #6 seed. 

Maybe similar to 2021 USC (#6 seed who ran to the Elite 8 in the MBB Tournament) or NC State/UVA making it to Omaha in 2021. 

Regardless, it's been a helluva ride. I understand where you were coming from. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

212-89 career record

obvious they are just looking for a big California connection for recruiting

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

obvious they are just looking for a big California connection for recruiting

Hoping for the next Gasso.    Ross Bjork is a pretty savvy AD.   He missed on a splash hire but likely did his homework.

Props to Mia Scott.

Watched a replay this morning.    During the 5th inning rally,  she "baited" that throw to second from Busby the cutoff by staying off the bag.   She had Busby's attention all the way as Busby never checked Whitaker's progress.   Great softball IQ.

• Hook 'Em 6

11 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Why isn't Cat on our staff? She'd be a great recruiter.

If the NCAA ever passes the 3rd paid assistant proposal for baseball/softball, Cat should immediately be the first call by White.

As it stands, Mike does pitching, Singleton does offense/infield defense and Bartlett does OF defense, I believe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, torre said:

Props to Mia Scott.

Watched a replay this morning.    During the 5th inning rally,  she "baited" that throw to second from Busby the cutoff by staying off the bag.   She had Busby's attention all the way as Busby never checked Whitaker's progress.   Great softball IQ.

She did the same to the Catcher the other day. Mike White called her the faster player he has ever coached.

28 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

She did the same to the Catcher the other day. Mike White called her the faster player he has ever coached.

She's going to be a weapon with her speed.  Singleton will add the power - even if it's just gap to gap power, anything in the gap for her is an automatic double and often a triple. 

14 doubles, 5 triples, 3 homers.  25 walks.  26-28 SB.  There's so much you can do with her, she's like a JJ clone at the plate. 

2nd in BA
2nd in hits with 75 behind JJ (91) and well ahead of Mary (63)
3rd in doubles
1st in triples
3rd in walks
4th in OPS
1st in SB

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

Texags isn’t very happy. 

They missed on a lot of coaches. 

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texags isn’t very happy. 

They missed on a lot of coaches. 

Yeah I don’t know softball coaches like I do for womens basketball, but you can tell in reading texags that they are forcing themselves to like the hire. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yeah I don’t know softball coaches like I do for womens basketball, but you can tell in reading texags that they are forcing themselves to like the hire. 

She was in the WCWS in 2018, so clearly she's the bestest coach ever!!!