Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount, May 5)

atomheartbevo

Yet another absolutely classic Trek episode.  Hit all the classic moments.

I find the actor who plays Sam Kirk has more James vibes than the James actor.  Should have flipped them. 

Pelia needs MORE screen time.  Much more. 

The upcoming episode.

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

Spoiler

As you can see, the Enterprise is going to find itself turned proverbially upside down when an investigation into a subspace anomaly creates a wave through the ship that compels the crew to belt their hearts out in song. And not just the crew: it looks like Paul Wesley’s Lieutenant James T. Kirk is back aboard for some reason. That reason presumably being “like hell are we going to do a musical Star Trek episode and not contrive a way to get the future Captain Kirk doing a song and dance.”

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

Strange New Worlds is just flexing at this point.

edit: And for those curious about the Lower Decks crossover being dropped today instead of Thursday, they had timed the season around San Diego Comic-Con, and they showed the Lower Decks crossover at Comic-Con today.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

That will either be awesome or epically bad.  Glad to see them taking risks.

The actress who plays Uhura got her start on Broadway, has a Grammy for a Broadway recording, and has been nominated for at least one Tony so she'll probably be the highlight.

We've seen Spock/Number One doing the Major-General song from Pirates of Penzance when they were stuck in the turbolift, so they can sing.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Episode 8 will drop Thursday. The season is just being moved up a week. So 3 new SNW episodes in 7 days 

Yeah, they kept it under wraps that they were going to screen the Lower Decks crossover at Comic-Con.  Going by social media, everybody loved it.

For Paramount to be screening a full episode at Comic-Con and then dropping the trailer for a full-blown musical episode (and the fact that they are doing a full-blown musical episode), they must really be happy with SNW.  And it seems like there are a lot more Lower Decks fans around these days.

I rarely watch episodes again, at least not very soon.

Watched this one again tonight.  It's such a perfect episode.  SNW has arguably two of the best back-to-back seasons out of any of the ST series.

Jonathan Frakes maybe my favorite of the TV directors. 

I'll spoiler just in case since some may not realize it's out already.

Spoiler

According to Frakes the "Riker" line was ad-libbed.

And reading around on the Lower Decks and SNW fansites/subs, it seems like both groups were very happy (of course there should be a lot of overlap between both anyways).  LD crowd grumbled that they wanted Tendi and Rutherford but that's about it.

I loved the animated intro for SNW (and the animated ending as well).  Loved the call-out to the Enterprise series, and not just to Archer, but Hoshi and Mayweather as well.

For a crossover episode, it's gotta be the best, because it was absolutely playing to the strengths of both.

And the moment when Una realizes she becomes the prototypical Starfleet officer, to the point where she's the recruiting poster...

Koala made an appearance

8aae3524606847ed267844ab2a3a089d.png

as did a certain parasite

0e4c0b8859f63eff69aee35780c56016.jpg

Just perfect.  I cannot believe how well these two transitioned to live-action.  Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan should be quite happy with their progeny.

af1bf9aa0a9e396310893270b2074d93.png

Edited by atomheartbevo

Damn that was basically what I wanted to see for those who survived the Dominion War or the Voyager crew post-Delta Quadrant 

Dark and heavy and perfectly slotted between the fun crossover and next week’s musical 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Damn that was basically what I wanted to see for those who survived the Dominion War or the Voyager crew post-Delta Quadrant 

Dark and heavy and perfectly slotted between the fun crossover and next week’s musical 

Yep, another brilliant episode. Reminds me of DS9 siege 

SNW’s quickly becoming the best Trek series…

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

So he was the butcher because he killed 3 dudes?  That part wasn't explained very well.

I thought it’s because SF believed he was murdering civilians and kids, including Klingon non-soldiers. 

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The doc I meant.  He killed 3 Klingon warlords and considered himself a monster.

Probably because he believes/believed he’s a doctor who is supposed to save live, not take them as a soldier. Minus poor Alvarado who just poofed out of existence 

This episode was a grand slam of questions about the morality of war and sacrificing lives 

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought he killed a lot more, they just showed the end. ymmv

Great episode. It was driving me nuts who was playing the Klingon because his voice was so familiar that I had to look it up.

Spoiler

It was Janice's father in Barry.

How TF is it possible for this show to get better every episode? Uhura, Chappel and La'an have some serious vocal talent. I really liked it and it worked very well, but let's keep this a one off. It was indeed a strange new plot where no Trek has gone before. But could you imagine if TOS had tried this? I want a number from Bones down by the Suwannee. HA!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/8/2023 at 5:36 PM, Parliament said:

I'm a TNG nerd but I don't know how you can say this isn't the superior series.

spacer.png

On 7/27/2023 at 10:03 PM, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

SNW’s quickly becoming the best Trek series…

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

I will definitely take this over holodeck episodes.  Fucking hate those. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Nope they suck. The best thing about 10-12 episodes streaming versus 20-25 on tv is the lack of dead weight episodes like playing baseball on DS9

I feel like DS9 had a lot less crappy/dead weight episodes than most of the post-TOS series, because they were focusing on their main arcs/Ronald Moore was getting shit done, etc..  TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise had plenty of filler at times.

I can't point to a SNW episode and say "yeah, that's a throw-away and did nothing to advance anything."

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I feel like DS9 had a lot less crappy/dead weight episodes than most of the post-TOS series, because they were focusing on their main arcs/Ronald Moore was getting shit done, etc..  TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise had plenty of filler at times.

I can't point to a SNW episode and say "yeah, that's a throw-away and did nothing to advance anything."

Maybe the fairy tale nebula in season 1? The only episode I didn’t care for 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Nope they suck. The best thing about 10-12 episodes streaming versus 20-25 on tv is the lack of dead weight episodes like playing baseball on DS9

I love SNW, but I'll take a holodeck episode over that singing shit any day of the week, I don't care how many of the staff have great pipes. I, and TNG accept your apology 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I love SNW, but I'll take a holodeck episode over that singing shit any day of the week, I don't care how many of the staff have great pipes. I, and TNG accept your apology 

This is just fucking horrible. Turned it off right after Spock started singing.

If we had gotten the TOS spin-off in the 70s, Star Trek Phase II, this is exactly what it would have looked like.

0ae8c31bb512c8f11e284654ed6d9f4a.jpg

Because this was Battlestar Galactica in the late 70s

carillon-bsg.jpg

Hell, Jane Seymour, Dirk Benedict, and Richard Hatch were just begging to bust out into song, they were all like "we can sing better than those double-faced lounge singers"

MV5BYWY2ZWE4OWYtMTAyMS00ODIyLTk5MDktMzE5

Not big on musicals, but for my money, SNW has been the best Trek since season 4-7 of DS9 even with some of the goofier hijinks.

Maybe its just watching Trek with older eyes and seeing Pike as, more-or-less, Captain "Dad We All Deserve", but SNW (and Lower Decks for us uber-dorks) seems to have found the sweet spot between allegory and escapism from our own modern hellscape.

• Hook 'Em 3