Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount, May 5)

atomheartbevo

6 hours ago, Stilicho said:

Maybe its just watching Trek with older eyes and seeing Pike as, more-or-less, Captain "Dad We All Deserve", but SNW (and Lower Decks for us uber-dorks) seems to have found the sweet spot between allegory and escapism from our own modern hellscape.

Pike is at another level in terms of Starfleet captains.  He's also one of the most complex/developed captains we've had so early on in a series (arguably during his run on Disco, everybody could tell he was a step above most).

I really liked Shaw on Picard as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/22/2023 at 7:20 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Strange New Worlds is just flexing at this point.

edit: And for those curious about the Lower Decks crossover being dropped today instead of Thursday, they had timed the season around San Diego Comic-Con, and they showed the Lower Decks crossover at Comic-Con today.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:27 PM, Parliament said:

That will either be awesome or epically bad.  Glad to see them taking risks.

On 8/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, Js1 said:

I will definitely take this over holodeck episodes.  Fucking hate those. 

On 8/3/2023 at 2:30 PM, Parliament said:

Woah there son.

worf-merry-man.gif

I'm 19 min in and this musical is ballah.  The creativity that went into this episode is orgasmic.  It makes me want to...sing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:
  Hide contents

Bones has to show up next season at this rate. Maybe Chekhov or Sulu. Oh, my!

Spoiler

Chekhov joined the Enterprise when he was like 22 or 24? He’s like 14-15 during SNW

We know Sam Kirk and M’Benga survive because they have TOS plot  armor. Oretgas and La’An could be on the chopping block

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Chekhov joined the Enterprise when he was like 22 or 24? He’s like 14-15 during SNW

We know Sam Kirk and M’Benga survive because they have TOS plot  armor. Oretgas and La’An could be on the chopping block

Spoiler

Star Fleet Cadet?

Episode 10 thoughts, pardon my hyperbole

Spoiler

Yeah you can put that season finale in the same conversation as "Best of Both Worlds."

That was the best Star Trek movie since "First Contact."  And they spared no expense on CGI, stunts or set pieces

The Gorn are tied with the Borg as the best Star Trek baddie.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Parliament said:

It's a back/forth over time.  But if you're saying the last few seasons of the SW shows > Picard S3, SNW2 and no Discovery, then well I don't know what say.

Rude as fuck to leave off LD

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Parliament said:

The retconned Gorn are so different, they shoulda given them a new name.

This doesn’t bother me. The limitations of portraying alien species from TOS era to now is vastly changed. The fact that Kirk took on a Gorn in TOS - just say it was a geriatric Gorn or something 

30 minutes ago, RPM said:

Guess I need to check LD out. I've only seen the crossover ep.

It will be a bit meh the first half of season 1 and then it gets its legs and really goes off 

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Guess I need to check LD out. I've only seen the crossover ep.

Like Js1 said, once they hit their stride, it’s fantastic.  I love that they try to clean up loose TNG plot points, and sometimes it’s subtle and sometimes it’s not. If you liked TNG you will come to really like LD.  I’ve said it before here, but originally it came off as a parody in the advertising, which I was against, but really it’s ‘Office Space’ or ‘The Office’ set within the TNG era.  It’s the people who have to make second and third contact and who have to fill out the paperwork or do the minor errands that a ship of the line like the Enterprise couldn’t be bothered with.

Agreed with above on Lower Decks. It’s got a lot of deep cuts for Trekkies (especially 90s Trek), but it’s found its own comedic niche that really works. 

Character development has been very well done as well. It’s a legit standalone. 

As for SNW, well, I’m an early 80s kid so the best Trek, for me, was TNG / DS9. 

SNW is just as good if not better than the best of 90s Trek. It has been very, very good with some deep cuts of its own (i.e., a legit nod/send off to the ENT franchise).

I love SNW, but you can't say it's better/worse than the other series, because it's so different.

TOS, TNG and DS9 explored humanity through sci fi.  (Klingons were the Soviets, Riker boinked that non-gender, etc.).  By doing it through sci fi they could push the discussion way further than regular TV.  They also explored the straight up science fiction stuff.  (Dyson Sphere, multiple realities.)

SNW mostly explores interpersonal stuff.  No problem with that at all, and they do a great job of it.  The ST characters we love have been ret conned a bit to fit that.  

The show runners coulda taken all the great characters of Parks and Rec, made them deeper and more serious, and made a show just as great as SNW...And I'm totally cool with that.

Edited by Parliament
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

I love SNW, but you can't say it's better/worse than the other series, because it's so different.

TOS, TNG and DS9 explored humanity through sci fi.  (Klingons were the Soviets, Riker boinked that non-gender, etc.).  By doing it through sci fi they could push the discussion way further than regular TV.  They also explored the straight up science fiction stuff.  (Dyson Sphere, multiple realities.)

SNW mostly explores interpersonal stuff.  No problem with that at all, and they do a great job of it.  The ST characters we love have been ret conned a bit to fit that.  

The show runners coulda taken all the great characters of Parks and Rec, made them deeper and more serious, and made a show just as great as SNW...And I'm totally cool with that.

Fair point. SNW does tend to grapple with morality, consequence, and interpersonal themes much more than hard sci-fi. For me, it goes hard in the paint at trying to define the tension between the ideals of the Federation and the realities of the Federation. I thought the M'Benga / Rau / Pike episode did this extremely well and the allegory is pretty blatant to beliefs surrounding our modern experience, even if the ending to the episode was a bit ham-fisted and choppy.

I too would prefer longer seasons (15ish over the old 24-26 and the new 10). I think that would allow the show to do more hard sci-fi storytelling than it does, without losing all the questions surrounding morality and idealism. Too bad Paramount seems intent on completely fucking this thing over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 6:45 PM, Parliament said:

Episode 10 thoughts, pardon my hyperbole

Hide contents

Yeah you can put that season finale in the same conversation as "Best of Both Worlds."

That was the best Star Trek movie since "First Contact."  And they spared no expense on CGI, stunts or set pieces

The Gorn are tied with the Borg as the best Star Trek baddie.

Dominion over any and all scifi villains.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-cbs-1235573914/

The Paramount+ hit series Strange New Worlds is getting an airing on CBS in early fall as part of a “Star Trek Day” celebration.

CBS will air the show’s series premiere, “Strange New Worlds,” as well as the show’s second episode, “Children of the Comet,” giving broadcast viewers a chance to sample the streaming series.

Strange New Worlds recently finished airing its second season, which received a fair amount of acclaim from critics and viewers alike, and is considered to have helped breathe some new life into the TV franchise.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The Paramount+ hit series Strange New Worlds is getting an airing on CBS in early fall as part of a “Star Trek Day” celebration.

I know it’s mostly because SNW has a lot of acclaim and they are trying to get people to sub to Paramount+, but yeah, also because of the strike that’s going on.  Would be smart to pull some of the streaming stuff over to air.

From that article, I’m actually curious about this special:

Paramount+ also announced Star Trek Day special hosted by Jerry O’Connell that’s “a salute to the franchise,” saying, “the special program will include segments that look back at memorable moments over the past 57 years; commemorate 50 years of Star Trek animation; pay tribute to Star Trek: Discovery, ahead of its final season; provide an exclusive sneak-peek clip from the upcoming fourth season of Star Trek Lower Decks; and commemorate many other moments that highlight Star Trek’s legacy.”

And I would love to watch Lower Decks with a bunch of random Star Trek fans.

There will also be special Lower Decks screenings in 11 cities, 

• Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...