skeet skeet cattle rustler

Bozo_Casanova

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I missed a 100 ac coastal hay patch in Alvin area like that. 1250/ac.  First year out of college. I thought it would be better to get a handle and pay down my student loans.  Fuck me that was the wrong choice.   

Owned the tractor but would need the rest. Probably would have worked out even paying someone custom.  Fuck it.  One mistake of many. 

When my ex wife and I were dating, her dad and I were running some errands around the ranch one day, and had gone to Kingsland for something or other. We were coming back on 261/2241 and right past the lake, he pointed at this non-descript looking ranch gate and said "My dad almost bought that place back in the 70s for $500 an acre. He didn't have all the cash, and didn't believe in borrowing money so he didn't buy it". That place? 2,200 acres with a mile of lake front on Buchanan. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...

Long article, but here's a couple highlights. 

But Jones’ supporters say he was set up. “There’s no question about that,” said Steve Simonsen, who is the Loving County attorney and married to a cousin of Jones’. “If you’re a special ranger and you’re really interested in stopping rustling, you don’t sneak out in the middle of the night and unload a bunch of cattle that you secretly microchipped,” Simonsen said.

----

The latest attempt on July 7 to get enough qualified grand jurors failed for two reasons, he said. Under Texas law, grand jurors cannot be related by blood or marriage. And they are required to reside within the county, which has become a flashpoint since the Loving County justice of the peace in May sent four prospective jurors — including Jones’ son and a county commissioner — to jail on a contempt order for allegedly not living there.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cattle-sting-operation-loving-county-120005139.html

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Baker wrote in the warrant that Jones told him during the interview at the sheriff’s office that “his understanding of the estray law is that if cattle are not marked, anyone can claim them.”

As an at least part-time cattleman I don't rate this as credible, that wasn't even true before barbed wire, so I doubt he really believed that.

I used to work in that area and, as also noted in the article, a lot of ranches in the area, if not most of them, no longer even run cattle (the area is pretty heavily O&G). So it seems for a while now this judge has been able to round up and sell whatever he finds because a good many of them are going to remain unclaimed anyway so nobody notices they are missing. Notably, no ostensible owner of said animals ever came forward to complain, this was just an out-of-town Brand Inspector guy that got a tip.

So this judge got into the (illegal) habit of selling strays and giving the proceeds to a boys' ranch in Amarillo and now will likely go to jail for that. Knowing the backstory didn't make it any less strange.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

When my ex wife and I were dating, her dad and I were running some errands around the ranch one day, and had gone to Kingsland for something or other. We were coming back on 261/2241 and right past the lake, he pointed at this non-descript looking ranch gate and said "My dad almost bought that place back in the 70s for $500 an acre. He didn't have all the cash, and didn't believe in borrowing money so he didn't buy it". That place? 2,200 acres with a mile of lake front on Buchanan. 

And a mile to Lake Buchanan during a drought. 

• Hook 'Em 1