Cozumel and Playa del Carmen

RollLeft

Following...  Headed there tomorrow with the family.

Stayin in a condo on the north end of 5th avenue on nte. 40 a block from the beach.  Close to beach but far enough from the party scene.  In our case, it's basically eating, drinking and beach in Playa.

Beach club recommendations where chair rental fees get applied to food/drinks? (Want more of a read a book and get drinks on the beach rather than the bachelor party scene...) We are near Mamasitas and Encanto Beach but looking for other options...

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.mexicanist.com/l/playa-del-carmen-sargassum-seaweed/

Keep this handy as you plan.  A few years ago we made an August visit and the Sargassum  was horrible.   Now Cozumel was supposedly a different story because most of the hotels and beach clubs are on the west side of the island which avoids the Sargassum.  Next time we head to that part of Mexico, I’m booking Cozumel and then we can take the ferry to visit Playa if we wish.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

https://www.mexicanist.com/l/playa-del-carmen-sargassum-seaweed/

Keep this handy as you plan.  A few years ago we made an August visit and the Sargassum  was horrible.   Now Cozumel was supposedly a different story because most of the hotels and beach clubs are on the west side of the island which avoids the Sargassum.  Next time we head to that part of Mexico, I’m booking Cozumel and then we can take the ferry to visit Playa if we wish.

Thanks - Stayed at a condo on the beach in Akumal a few years ago and had to cross 30' of it to get to the water...

We were at a resort about 15 miles south of Cancun near Puerto Morelos  last week. The seaweed made the beach unusable. The resorts were trying to deal with it, but multiple tractors couldn't keep up. It wasn't just a nuisance--it completely shut the beaches down and the stench was pretty bad where it was decomposing. My family was fine with the pools/swim up bars so it wasn't a vacation-ruiner.

One day we took a catamaran out to Isla Mujeres, and there were small parts of the beaches there that had no seaweed--but everyone in Mexico seemed crammed into these few clean areas, and it was wall to wall people. We found some tidal pools on the north end of the island and enjoyed just wading there and looking at the fish. 

I asked one of the locals there, and he said the seaweed problem was constant and that there seemed to be no way of really fighting it. If you haven't seen how bad it can get down there, it is hard to explain. It is washed up on the beach as far as 10 feet and it is up to 2-3 feet thick. Just massive amounts. There is so much floating in the water right off the beach that all the water just turns to a slush of weed and brown--the local guy called it chocolate milk. 

I'll be interested to see what you find. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I'm going to both.  Six nights to split between the two.

I can help with Cozumel, but as mentioned above, the Playa beaches are sargassum hellholes right now.  You want AI, boutique, Airbnb?

Despite the sargassum on the Playa side, you still have cenotes, ruins, shopping, Xcaret, Xelha, Xplore Park, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from Playa this past Friday.  The sargassum is horrible.  Talked to a couple that ferried over to Cozumel for the day and they said it was just as bad on that side as well.  Like the poster said above plan on doing the cenotes or inlet parks if you want nice clear water.  

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I can help with Cozumel, but as mentioned above, the Playa beaches are sargassum hellholes right now.  You want AI, boutique, Airbnb?

Despite the sargassum on the Playa side, you still have cenotes, ruins, shopping, Xcaret, Xelha, Xplore Park, etc.

Yeah, I think this round we are doing Intercontinental or Fiesta Americana in Cozumel.  Mainly looking to snorkel and do a few excursions on the island.  Then heading down to Tulum instead of PDC.  Simply looking for any must see's, pro tips, places to avoid and/or must eats in Cozumel or from PDC down to Tulum.  Thanks again to everyone thus far.   

3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Yeah, I think this round we are doing Intercontinental or Fiesta Americana in Cozumel.  Mainly looking to snorkel and do a few excursions on the island.  Then heading down to Tulum instead of PDC.  Simply looking for any must see's, pro tips, places to avoid and/or must eats in Cozumel or from PDC down to Tulum.  Thanks again to everyone thus far.   

For Cozumel:

• Isla Passion Tour
  • El Cielo Tour
  • Punta Molas 4x4 Tour
  • Nautilus Submarine tour
  • Punta Sur Park for snorkeling
  • Cerveceria Punta Sur for beer/pizza
  • Hemingways for sunset/food/drinks
  • Guidos for any dinner
  • La Cocay for any dinner
  • Los Tacotales for tacos 

There's about 50 other great places to eat in Cozumel, just post what your looking for.

In Playa, Don Chendos's is the shit for Chicago style deep dish and great Italian.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, squib said:

I didn't realize that shit doesn't even biodegrade.  What a pain in the ass.  They had a tractor running all day our first day but even then all that did was make the beach walkable in the afternoon.  The water was still was unswimmable.  

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I didn't realize that shit doesn't even biodegrade.  What a pain in the ass.  They had a tractor running all day our first day but even then all that did was make the beach walkable in the afternoon.  The water was still was unswimmable.  

I would advise anyone who actually wants to spend time on the beach for vacation to go the Pacific side.    If you are OK just enjoying the resort or condo pools, then Playa/Tulum, etc. is OK.     Just amazed that all that crap originates in the Atlantic so far away and the volumes of it get my multiple islands in the Caribbean and washes up down there like that.  Really unreal.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I would advise anyone who actually wants to spend time on the beach for vacation to go the Pacific side.    If you are OK just enjoying the resort or condo pools, then Playa/Tulum, etc. is OK.     Just amazed that all that crap originates in the Atlantic so far away and the volumes of it get my multiple islands in the Caribbean and washes up down there like that.  Really unreal.

Can't disagree.  We booked totally ignorant of the issue.  It didn't ruin it for us, but it certainly makes me regret for paying for a beach resort with no beach.  I'll definitely spend a few minutes researching next time.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Can't disagree.  We booked totally ignorant of the issue.  It didn't ruin it for us, but it certainly makes me regret for paying for a beach resort with no beach.  I'll definitely spend a few minutes researching on the SHAG next time.

fify

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Can't disagree.  We booked totally ignorant of the issue.  It didn't ruin it for us, but it certainly makes me regret for paying for a beach resort with no beach.  I'll definitely spend a few minutes researching next time.

The last time we went to Playa  was July 2016.   We get to the check in desk at the small boutique style hotel right off 5th Avenue and the desk clerk starts apologizing.   I’m like what the heck is going on?   She then goes on to describe the beach conditions and I’m like, ok this can’t big a deal.  I’ve seen seaweed wash up on Padre Island and it was a little inconvenience, but you could still get in the water.     A few minutes later we walk down to the beach and it was like a dump of sargassum on the sand and water.   And the smell was awful.  And since that summer forward it seems like it’s been the same whenever I check and get the urge to go back down there again.  Winter and spring seems to be better.  

• Hook 'Em 1

USA Transfers still top notch. But watch out  for the bar where you wait- ordered 2 margs and a beer and they wanted 90 USD.  Uh, no and I’m glad I asked before started making them…. Driver had cold beers in the van- 2 for 5 bucks…

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, we booked a beach resort with two other families at Playa Paraiso right near Tulum for July 2 - 7. Bummed to find out about the seaweed situation. Also looks like it might rain most of the time we're there. So looking for other shit to do while we're there. My wife wanted to "just book it" and use a travel agent and of course the agency is suggesting cenote trips that cost $100 a person. I'm not dropping $400 to go swimming. Fuck that. Does anyone have a recommendation on cenotes? Any ones that are better than others close to Tulum? Ones that won't be completely jammed up with people, or that are somewhat easy to get to by taxi? 

• Hook 'Em 1

After a regional power outage across all of PDC and Cozumel that lasted almost 3 hours (cell also out), we hit the beach and there wasn't much junk on the beach. Yea, there was some but they had cleared it off by noon... Water was a little dirty from the rain they got on Monday.

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Well, we booked a beach resort with two other families at Playa Paraiso right near Tulum for July 2 - 7. Bummed to find out about the seaweed situation. Also looks like it might rain most of the time we're there. So looking for other shit to do while we're there. My wife wanted to "just book it" and use a travel agent and of course the agency is suggesting cenote trips that cost $100 a person. I'm not dropping $400 to go swimming. Fuck that. Does anyone have a recommendation on cenotes? Any ones that are better than others close to Tulum? Ones that won't be completely jammed up with people, or that are somewhat easy to get to by taxi? 

Jardin del Eden is my favorite, I think it's $10/person at the entrance. Don't go on the weekends, it'll be swarmed by Mexican families.

If you have $400 to spend, go to Xel-ha, good times. Buffets and all you can drink stands.

https://www.xcaret.com/en/parks-and-tours/xelha-admission/?langRedirect=1

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Grimas said:

After a regional power outage across all of PDC and Cozumel that lasted almost 3 hours (cell also out), we hit the beach and there wasn't much junk on the beach. Yea, there was some but they had cleared it off by noon... Water was a little dirty from the rain they got on Monday.

It knocked out the entire peninsula. I rather enjoyed it. Laid on my bed and read a book, after about 30 minutes I could actually feel my stress level/BP come down.

• Hook 'Em 1

We are headed to Coz from July 31st to August 6th. Gonna dive for 4 days, and fuck around for one. Our dive boat leaves from the port that is at the end of the runway on the west side. So we found a killer place to stay right downtown:

https://www.vrbo.com/2869723?adultsCount=4&noDates=true&unitId=3441760

Rooftop pool and hot tub are gonna be lit.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

We flew into Cozumel and spent half a week there and half in Tulum.  We were looking for peace and quiet and got it in both places, but for some of you wanting to know the pros and cons of each here you go.  Cozumel feels like it is on island time, is at a slower pace, offers more for families including some amazing snorkeling/sailing/diving.  Tulum is a bit more rustic, vibrant and is more for singles or couples.   Tulum in general is smaller but, imo, their centro feels more on the go with all the local people walking, biking and scooting everywhere. Also, its off the major highway that goes to PDC or Cancun.  No highways in Cozumel.   The irony is the cruise ships stop off in Cozumel so there are more tourists walking around the centro, but if you don't spend time there you won't see much of them on the rest of the island.  Most places you will want to stay at either place are away from the centro but Hacienda Coco in Tulum was quite nice.

If your hotel doesn't have beach front, they are probably associated with a beach club.  Intercontinental, Cozumel, had a great beach front and fortunately had no seaweed issue.  Cozumel also offers Playa Mia a free beach which is in between the two major beach clubs there.  We visited the Fiesta Americana/Explorean and Iberostar properties, Cozumel, during the day.  We did not notice seaweed issue at Americana but it is a snorkeling spot not a beach front like Iberostar.  The Mrs. hates crowds so requested the Intercontinental again and nixed the Iberostar, but its nots all-inclusive. We snorkeled Columbia, Palancar and El Cielo.  It was a bucket list item for me.  Damn, what an experience.  We used Pink Tours and it was adults only, but Fury seemed the way to go if youre a family. Bring biodegradable sunscreen or they may ask you not to get in the water as we witnessed as someone tried to spray some on last minute.   

We stayed at Mi Amor in Tulum.  View was spectacular.  Its on the Eco side of the drive and is guarded after 8pm.  The ruins/eco park was excellent. I'm a reader so didn't use a guide as many people suggested.   Mis Tios street tacos were of note.  Ziggy's and La Zebra served good drinks and made for good date nights.  Tulum has many more hotels with beach front and if your hotel doesn't have one they are associated with other beach clubs but that can be used after a consumption fee, usually minimum of $50+ per.  Tulum has tons of Cenotes if you don't want the beach.  It is apparent Tulum beaches are battling the seaweed.

I have always rented cars and being Mexico is no exception for me.  I'm comfortable driving there but with that said I do not get a car the rest of the tourists are getting.  I don't get a jeep or mustang.  I get the cheap white car that looks like every other car the locals drive as to not draw attention to myself.  Driving Cozumel was easy.  All around the centro, went to the grocery store Chedraui to get wine and then a Farmacia.  If you get the liability/damage waivers, there should be minimum hesitation in doing so.  Heading to Tulum includes driving a highway but if you're from any city in the U.S. it's no problem.  Now, the pro tip for transporting a car from PDC to the island is to buy your vehicle ferry reservation on Transcaribe in advance.  It assures you get a spot and you go to the front of the line.  Ultramar on the way to PDC we had to buy in person, a few blocks from the port, site was down.  The arrival port on the PDC side for both is Punta Venado.  Most of the schedules online for the ferries are for people only and not for those transporting a car.  There are only 2 or 3 crossing each way in car.  Block out 2.5  hours to cross each way.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 2

No highways in Cozumel. 

QRoo C1/Transversal is a 2 lane highway that runs over most of the island

Intercontinental, Cozumel, had a great beach front and fortunately had no seaweed issue.  Cozumel also offers Playa Mia a free beach which is in between the two major beach clubs there.  We visited the Fiesta Americana/Explorean and Iberostar properties, Cozumel, during the day.  We did not notice seaweed issue at Americana but it is a snorkeling spot not a beach front like Iberostar.

That side of the island doesn't get sargassum.

I'm comfortable driving there but with that said I do not get a car the rest of the tourists are getting.  I don't get a jeep or mustang.  I get the cheap white car that looks like every other car the locals drive as to not draw attention to myself.

Policia looking for mordida are not looking at car types, they are looking at license plates. Rental car plates are very distinctive and mexican cops can spot them easily.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

QRoo C1/Transversal is a 2 lane highway that runs over most of the island

That side of the island doesn't get sargassum.

Policia looking for mordida are not looking at car types, they are looking at license plates. Rental car plates are very distinctive and mexican cops can spot them easily.

Yeah, it reminded me of the "National Highway" of Mindanoa.  Its a FM road in TX.  

I don't get that type of car to avoid policia.  I get those cars so that thieves pass on my car and opt for the nice car next to me.  I don't care about a mordida, pay your 10 bucks and get on the road, IF they stop you.  Which i heard they do for speeding, very easily.  The mordida gets a bad rapp. The origin of them were due to the people not having time or money to deal with the local municipality so the cops would take money instead of going through the normal legal procedures.  It later became something else entirely which i also have many stories i could tell.  That said, even if one were to believe they actively look for special plates which may be true, though i doubt, there are easier ways to pull cash from tourists/marks.

Paying mordida just encourages those corrupt assholes to continue targeting tourists. Don't fucking pay. It's illegal for them to ask for mordida AND illegal for you to pay them directly. Always has been. Just keep asking for your ticket. They will eventually tell you to leave.

And there really isn't any debate about them targeting rental cars/foreign cars by checking plates, it's a well known fact all across Mexico.

We rented a condo on 40th between 5th ave and the beach in PDC.  Lots of nice resturants/bars in the area 38th and 5th area and a great location if you are looking for a more laid back, non-party scene. The beach club right at the end of 40th was perfect for us - 500 pesos per person for chair and umbrella with the full amount credited to food and drinks. The north end was much more chill -residential/expat - than closer to centro which was more touristy.  Beaches ok but we took a day trip to Cozumel on the ferry and most definitely it was better there for clear water and snorkeling. We did like the vibe in PDC more than Isla, Tulum, Akumel or Puerto Adventuras in terms of going out to eat and hitting the local bars and having a variety... Wife even discussed getting a place in the area for when we retire in a few years...

Teens found a workout place on 28th and we had no fear when they took off on their own to work out.

Of course, wife and I caught Covid while there so are dragging now that we are back...

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 7:38 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Paying mordida just encourages those corrupt assholes to continue targeting tourists. Don't fucking pay. It's illegal for them to ask for mordida AND illegal for you to pay them directly. Always has been. Just keep asking for your ticket. They will eventually tell you to leave.

And there really isn't any debate about them targeting rental cars/foreign cars by checking plates, it's a well known fact all across Mexico.

print this out and hand it to the policia. y'all are welcome:

Estimado oficial,

Soy turista en Quintana Roo y por eso le pido que cumpla con lo siguiente:

REGLAMENTO DE TRÁNSITO DEL ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO

CAPITULO XVII APOYO AL TURISTA

ARTICULO 241.- Se establece en el Estado; la Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía que la Dirección de Tránsito, en su jurisdicción respectiva aplicará exclusivamente a los Turistas que infrinjan el Reglamento de Tránsito. La Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía no implica costo alguno al que se impone, siendo su objetivo señalar la violación cometida y exhortar a conducir cumpliendo con las reglas de Tránsito. La Sanción de Cortesía es aplicada hasta en dos ocasiones al mismo vehículo y/o conductor y no procede en los casos de actos y omisiones graves contrarios a lo que dispone el presente Reglamento.

Artículo 242.- Todo el personal de tránsito tendrá la obligación de prestar información que requiera el Turista, para localización de calles, dependencias, hoteles o en su caso indicando las carreteras o entronques de las mismas que agilice su tránsito dentro y fuera de la entidad.

Artículo 243.- Las Autoridades Municipales proveerán lo conducente a efecto de que las medidas a que se refieren los artículos anteriores, queden incluidas en sus reglamentos correspondientes a su jurisdicción.

Edited by tejas60

On 12/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, tejas60 said:

print this out and hand it to the policia. y'all are welcome:

Estimado oficial,

Soy turista en Quintana Roo y por eso le pido que cumpla con lo siguiente:

REGLAMENTO DE TRÁNSITO DEL ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO

CAPITULO XVII APOYO AL TURISTA

ARTICULO 241.- Se establece en el Estado; la Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía que la Dirección de Tránsito, en su jurisdicción respectiva aplicará exclusivamente a los Turistas que infrinjan el Reglamento de Tránsito. La Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía no implica costo alguno al que se impone, siendo su objetivo señalar la violación cometida y exhortar a conducir cumpliendo con las reglas de Tránsito. La Sanción de Cortesía es aplicada hasta en dos ocasiones al mismo vehículo y/o conductor y no procede en los casos de actos y omisiones graves contrarios a lo que dispone el presente Reglamento.

Artículo 242.- Todo el personal de tránsito tendrá la obligación de prestar información que requiera el Turista, para localización de calles, dependencias, hoteles o en su caso indicando las carreteras o entronques de las mismas que agilice su tránsito dentro y fuera de la entidad.

Artículo 243.- Las Autoridades Municipales proveerán lo conducente a efecto de que las medidas a que se refieren los artículos anteriores, queden incluidas en sus reglamentos correspondientes a su jurisdicción.

I carried that printout for a couple of years with my car paperwork, due to all the ex-pats pimping it.

Got pulled over in Cancun while stuck behind a milk truck that was doing 40 kph. The policia asked me to get out so he could show me how fast I was going. He had an old, unpowered radar gun with a transparent "85" sticker over the LED readout window. This is what they show anyone they want mordida from.

So I show him that printout, he gets mad, digs around and pulls out some QRoo legal book. He starts yelling in spanish "Show me where that is in this book! These are the laws! It not in this book. It is stupid. It is lies." 

So I just reverted back to the usual "Sir, Please give me the ticket" a few times and he told me to leave.

If you get pulled over, just be polite and keep asking them to write you a ticket. They will eventually let you go.

• 1 month later...

PSA. State Dept issued warning about using Ubers/Ride shares. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/read-this-before-taking-an-uber-in-cancun-where-violence-between-taxi-drivers-and-ride-share-apps-is-heating-up/ar-AA16O0GE

On Monday — the same day that the the U.S. Embassy and consulates in Mexico issued the security advisory— taxi drivers blocked Kukulcan Boulevard, a main road leading in and out of the hotel district in the resort of Cancun, which forced some tourists to walk or catch rides in police pickups to get check in or to catch their flights. The Cancun police department shared photos of travelers getting into the bed of police trucks, and said “given the blockades on the Kukulcan Boulevard, our transit officers helped people get to the airport,” the Associated Press reported.

The warning reads: “In the wake of recent incidents involving taxi and Uber drivers in Quintana Roo, U.S. citizens are reminded of guidance provided on Travel.State.gov, specifically about the use of application-based transportation services in Mexico, which states: Application-based car services such as Uber and Cabify are available in many Mexican cities, and generally offer another safe alternative to taxis. Official complaints against Uber and other drivers do occur, however, and past disputes between these services and local taxi unions have occasionally turned violent, resulting in injuries to U.S. citizens in some instances.”

What’s more, the State Department has tagged Mexico’s Quintana Roo state with its “Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution” warning due to the potential for crime and kidnapping. “Criminal activity and violence may occur in any location, at any time, including in popular tourist destinations,” its advisory says. “Travelers should maintain a high level of situational awareness, avoid areas where illicit activities occur, and promptly depart from potentially dangerous situations.”

• 2 months later...

I'm headed to Cozumel in July with the family. Staying in the Nah Ha condo complex between Hotel B and Peninsula Grand on the Northwest side of the island.

Any advice on restaurants in the area?  We plan to rent a car, but I haven't booked it yet. 

Mainly plan to snorkel as much as possible. Let me know if anyone has tips on good tour operators or places to go from shore.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

I'm headed to Cozumel in July with the family. Staying in the Nah Ha condo complex between Hotel B and Peninsula Grand on the Northwest side of the island.

Any advice on restaurants in the area?  We plan to rent a car, but I haven't booked it yet. 

Mainly plan to snorkel as much as possible. Let me know if anyone has tips on good tour operators or places to go from shore.

My girlfriend worked at Hotel B for a while, it's a good area. 

Let me know more specifically what you guys are looking for, I can get you hooked up for tour/dive/snorkel ops. 

I'll be with my wife and three kids (15, 17, 19). They all love to snorkel so that will be a priority.  Also some good beach time.  Would love to try some good local restaurants away from the cruise ship / party crowd.  We will probably drive all over the island.

15 hours ago, HookEm said:

I'll be with my wife and three kids (15, 17, 19). They all love to snorkel so that will be a priority.  Also some good beach time.  Would love to try some good local restaurants away from the cruise ship / party crowd.  We will probably drive all over the island.

This place is next to Chankanaab and has good snorkeling, private cabanas. 

https://thecabanabeach.com/

I also like Buccanos, they have a great dinner restaurant also.

https://www.buccanos.com/en/activities

Our main hangout for drinks/chill is usually Hemingway

https://hemingwayloungecozumel.negocio.site/#menu

Cerveceria Punta Sur has great pizza and occasionally good beer. 

https://www.cerveceriapuntasur.com/

Pescaderia San Carlos for fish

https://pescaderia.restaurantwebexperts.com/

Casa Mission is a little more touristy, but they have good food and traditional atmosphere. I used to live about 100 yards from them.

https://www.casamissionrestaurant.com/

I'd recommend boat tours to Isla Pasion, Cielo and maybe a walk through of San Gervasio.

My old roommate Lucy has lived in Cozumel for 5 years, speaks fluent English, is a certified INAH tour guide and can arrange anything you need, if you're interested.

• Like 2