2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Parra in the portal. Opens up a scholly. Let’s bring Wenaas home 

I'll miss her booming serve that made her a fan favorite. I was hoping she would be a key piece for next season but perhaps Elliot gently told her that if she wants to be a key rotation piece it wasn't going to happen here.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, sunset87 said:

From my perspective, one of the most improved aspects for this team was the ability to score out of system.  I felt like a lot of that was attributable to SKT's ability to put up solid sets in those situations.  Obviously it helps to have hitters like Logan and Madi to make you look good.

I guess my main frame of reference is what I've seen the last several years from UT and their opponents. I just thought SKT did a much better job of giving our hitters a chance compared to what we saw from Gabriel or Shook (not saying much, I know).  You have probably watched a lot of other teams play and have a better feel than I do.

If you are a setter on a top ten team you better be able to set well in system, not sure you're playing if you don't. 

Listen, I come across as a know it all, and it can be even worse in person, but I don't actually believe it as much as it sounds. I've just found that sounding convicted about my beliefs is beneficial in all kinds of ways. There's plenty of room for different opinions here.

My thought on Gabriel is that she was a lot quicker than SKT, and was capable of bettering balls that SKT couldn't. Given how often we were out of system the last two years and how often Gabriel had to just throw it towards the net, I felt like she did a great job of giving the hitters a chance at it. Not perfect, by any stretch. A lot of the time SKT couldn't even get there. 

That said, I liked SKT's in system sets waaaaaaay more than Gabriel. Some of that could have been Hunt's influence. We moved our attack inwards, away from the antenna, which gave our hitters more space to go line. It also meant a different blocking path for opponents. But I also feel like SKT's backsets were way more accurate and more deceptive than Gabriel's, which helped O'Neal lead the country in hitting percentage. Early on there were issues with the connection with Skinner in particular, but that settled in a lot as the season wore on. 

Among the setters in the tournament, I liked both Anchante and Blossom a lot more than SKT, particularly in out of system sets, but their performance wasn't a good reflection of it because of how brutal Texas was with their serves and their transition attacks. Regardless of my feelings about either Anchante or Blossom, out of system they simply weren't as good as SKT in system. Especially with how well the blocking improved over the course of the season, raising up a notch in the tournament, and the floor defense getting quality dig after quality dig. 

Podraza was better in terms of blocking in the front row. She may be the best blocking setter in the country. But I've never thought of her as an elite setter, regardless of her accolades. I've watched her make way too many trap sets over the season to prefer her over SKT.

And Lazaro is fine in terms of Louisville being lost without her, but again, I wouldn't pick her over SKT ever. 

For this team, that was in system so much and forced their opponent to be out of system as much as they did, SKT in my opinion was perfect. She has excellent accuracy and deception, and she makes good decisions. But I question if her setting would have been as good as Gabriel's - which had warts, for sure - if she had had to run around with her hair on fire the way Gabriel did the last two seasons. In my mind the answer is no. 

What's going to be interesting is to see what kind of setting we get next year, whether it's Swindle or someone from the portal. Heck, Podraza is available, although I have mixed feelings about that. 

Thank you for the discussion. I want to be clear I feel like what you're saying has a lot of merit, regardless of how I see it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, why does nobody think Texas will be the favorites next year? 

If they add somebody like Weenas at OH and a setter I think they will be ranked #1 in the preseason polls. 

Not a chance. Stanford returns everyone plus a heck of a recruiting class. 

I don't understand why Wenaas comes here. Her strength is playing 6 rotations and providing stellar defense in the back row. We have Halter, Akana, and Barnes. We're not running two 6 rotation pins. Skinner is going to get those 6 rotations. 

We'll see what happens, but my guess is a true freshman plays 3 rotations at the left pin. Probably Byrd, but maybe Helmers. Either Phillips or Kahahawai plays on the right pin. If there's an otherworldly offensive threat that's willing to play 3 rotations like Skinner did this year, sure, grab them. But that's not Wenaas. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t think Podraza is a good fit. Her setting itself left a lot to be desired. And her serve sucks 

It actually got better. But yes, it does suck.

Heck, SKT served a 2.56 passing against in the national championship match. It's not really feasible to be worse than that. Understand, I actually liked SKT's serve over the course of the season, but that's abominable. 

Just now, SL Xpress said:

I don't understand why Wenaas comes here. Her strength is playing 6 rotations and providing stellar defense in the back row. We have Halter, Akana, and Barnes. We're not running two 6 rotation pins. Skinner is going to get those 6 rotations. 

We'll see what happens, but my guess is a true freshman plays 3 rotations at the left pin. Probably Byrd, but maybe Helmers. Either Phillips or Kahahawai plays on the right pin. If there's an otherworldly offensive threat that's willing to play 3 rotations like Skinner did this year, sure, grab them. But that's not Wenaas. 

I personally thought Stanford was overrated this year. The Pac 12 sucked. 

With Bergmark and O'Neal that's one of the best middle combos in the country if not the best. Then Barnes, Halter, and Akana is one of the best of libero/DS in the country. Maybe not as good without Fleck but still really damn good. Then you still have weapons on the pins with Skinner and Phillips. 

If Texas lands a top OH I bet they're ranked #1 in the preseason polls. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I personally thought Stanford was overrated this year. The Pac 12 sucked. 

With Bergmark and O'Neal that's one of the best middle combos in the country if not the best. Then Barnes, Halter, and Akana is one of the best of libero/DS in the country. Maybe not as good without Fleck but still really damn good. Then you still have weapons on the pins with Skinner and Phillips. 

If Texas lands a top OH I bet they're ranked #1 in the preseason polls. 

You have a higher opinion of Bergmark than I do. She's adequate. I would not call her a part of one of the best middle combos in the country. I'm glad to have her, but I don't think she's special. I'm more curious to see what Singletary can do. No offense to Bergmark. I'm grateful she came to Texas. I have no real concerns about her starting as MB2. I just don't think she provides much of a wow factor at all. 

Stanford's big issue is Baird's inconsistency, and Rubin is slightly undersized at 6'1. 

But I like Francis and Vicini more than O'Neal/Bergmark. Miner over whoever Texas has setting. Oglivie is an outstanding libero. Kipp is the best opposite in the country by a mile, and will be the favorite going into the season for national player of the year if Stanford can make it to the Final Four. They utilize 3 6 rotation pins in Rubin, Baird, and Kipp. Kipp is Eggleston good out of the back row. Rubin is a very good 6 rotation defender. Not elite like say a Nuneviller, but as a true freshman she was impressive. 

I don't think Texas is going to land a top OH because they'll have to play 3 rotations. 

Maybe some other program gloms onto enough talent to surpass Stanford as #1 in the preseason polls, but I feel highly confident it won't be Texas. 

15 minutes ago, SATXHorn said:

Did she recently change her Twitter bio recently to just say “Texas”? Also, did she commit to aggy in HS then change her mind and go to Minn instead?

Yes. And she’s from an aggy family. But Skinner is from a Baylor family so who knows 

15 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I could see Devin/Byrd/Helmers competing for that second OH spot. Devin has trained on the left as well as the right. 

I know there’s been some quiet rumblings of TCU’s Carlee Pharis (setter) not being on their 2023 roster and following several Texas coaches on IG.

17 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't get the Stanford hype at all. They were young but also really bad against the top tier teams. 

2-4 against RPI top 15 teams. My opinion is they will be overrated no matter where they are ranked. 

They can be overrated and still be ranked #1. 

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

They can be overrated and still be ranked #1. 

We will see. I think Texas will be ranked #1 if they add another good portal player or 2. 

Either way, I think Stanford will be overrated if they're in one of the top 3 spots. I don't think their coach is very good and their hype is built on beating bad Pac 12 teams from this season. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We will see. I think Texas will be ranked #1 if they add another good portal player or 2. 

Either way, I think Stanford will be overrated if they're in one of the top 3 spots. I don't think their coach is very good and their hype is built on beating bad Pac 12 teams from this season. 

They won at Minny, at Florida and at Nebraska. They lost to the final 2 teams of the season, an inconsistent PSU and at Oregon. They were good. They probably advance out of Palo Alto if not for SD. Who should have been the final #1 seed anyhow 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Got it. Just remember the argument is who is going to be #1, not necessarily who deserves to be #1. I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that Texas is ranked #1 next season. I guess maybe if a Stucky/Anchante/Carlson/Miner type transfers in, but that's not going to happen. And there won't be a Skinner type transferring in, either, IMO. But there's no harm in predicting it. I predict you're wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

They won at Minny, at Florida and at Nebraska. They lost to the final 2 teams of the season, an inconsistent PSU and at Oregon. They were good. They probably advance out of Palo Alto if not for SD. Who should have been the final #1 seed anyhow 

They were definitely good but lost 3-0 to Texas, 3-1 to Louisville, and 3-2 to San Diego all at home. They were clearly a tier below the final 4 teams. 

I think a lot of people view them as a "1 seed" from this past year but I don't think they were. To me, they were the 5th to 7th best team in the country. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, San Diego should have definitely been the final #1 seed over Stanford. They proved it too. 

That San Diego team was for real. Blossom best pure setter in the country. Blackwell an elite middle blocker. Frohling right there with Kipp and Londot as one of the best opposites. Lukes and Edwards outstanding 1-2 punch at OH. Benbow terrific libero. I said before the match if they'd been on the other side of the bracket they would have been in the finals. Blossom was a weakness in the front row that Texas exploited over and over (felt good after Gabriel got abused against Kentucky) but neither Louisville nor Pitt had 2 pins with the height/vertical of Eggleston/Skinner. 

Some Louisville fans got pissed at me on volleytalk since they beat San Diego pretty soundly at the beginning of the year, and cited their issues with close matches in the West Coast Conference, but I stood my ground based on what I'd seen. Given the relative results, I'd say I feel at least partially validated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Listen, I come across as a know it all, and it can be even worse in person, but I don't actually believe it as much as it sounds. I've just found that sounding convicted about my beliefs is beneficial in all kinds of ways. There's plenty of room for different opinions here.

My thought on Gabriel is that she was a lot quicker than SKT, and was capable of bettering balls that SKT couldn't. Given how often we were out of system the last two years and how often Gabriel had to just throw it towards the net, I felt like she did a great job of giving the hitters a chance at it. Not perfect, by any stretch. A lot of the time SKT couldn't even get there. 

That said, I liked SKT's in system sets waaaaaaay more than Gabriel. Some of that could have been Hunt's influence. We moved our attack inwards, away from the antenna, which gave our hitters more space to go line. It also meant a different blocking path for opponents. But I also feel like SKT's backsets were way more accurate and more deceptive than Gabriel's, which helped O'Neal lead the country in hitting percentage. Early on there were issues with the connection with Skinner in particular, but that settled in a lot as the season wore on. 

Among the setters in the tournament, I liked both Anchante and Blossom a lot more than SKT, particularly in out of system sets, but their performance wasn't a good reflection of it because of how brutal Texas was with their serves and their transition attacks. Regardless of my feelings about either Anchante or Blossom, out of system they simply weren't as good as SKT in system. Especially with how well the blocking improved over the course of the season, raising up a notch in the tournament, and the floor defense getting quality dig after quality dig. 

Podraza was better in terms of blocking in the front row. She may be the best blocking setter in the country. But I've never thought of her as an elite setter, regardless of her accolades. I've watched her make way too many trap sets over the season to prefer her over SKT.

And Lazaro is fine in terms of Louisville being lost without her, but again, I wouldn't pick her over SKT ever. 

For this team, that was in system so much and forced their opponent to be out of system as much as they did, SKT in my opinion was perfect. She has excellent accuracy and deception, and she makes good decisions. But I question if her setting would have been as good as Gabriel's - which had warts, for sure - if she had had to run around with her hair on fire the way Gabriel did the last two seasons. In my mind the answer is no. 

What's going to be interesting is to see what kind of setting we get next year, whether it's Swindle or someone from the portal. Heck, Podraza is available, although I have mixed feelings about that. 

Thank you for the discussion. I want to be clear I feel like what you're saying has a lot of merit, regardless of how I see it. 

Yeah, Jhenna deserved a lot of credit for usable sets from abominable passing.

• Hook 'Em 3

From secrant:

e: 2022 Volleyball National ChampionsPosted on 12/18/22 at 6:54 pm to CNB
bkm1.png
quote:
Imagine bragging about a women’s national championship

Winning a D1 national championship in any sport, male or female, is hard AF. I hate Texas as much as anybody, but this is a dumb take. Bama has six NCs in gymnastics. You think that’s easy? It’s as difficult and competitive a sport as you’ll ever see.

P.S. You wouldn’t last 10 minutes in a volleyball practice. Those girls would whip your ass.
This post was edited on 12/18 at 6:59 pm

uArw.png33dArw.png1

From secrant.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Damn.

Yeah, she has a wicked serve, but she's still just a 5'11 outside hitter competing with Skinner (6'2), Byrd (6'4), Kahahawai (6'4) and Helmers (6'4) on the roster (or soon to be, in January).  Great, she's also capable of playing 6 rotations too - except we have Halter, Akana and Carissa Barnes coming in and we just won a title by focusing on one 6 rotation OH and one 4 rotation OH, while utilizing the hell out of our littles to dig and pass.  Skinner will take over the Eggleston 6 rotation role, while whoever wins that second OH2 spot will play the Skinner 3 or 4 (serving) rotations role. 

And we just abused a team with multiple 6'0 OHs in a three set championship match sweep. 

She will get picked up by a good program - a TCU or aggy if she wants to stay in Texas. Unfortunately, that's just the nature of the portal beast.  Programs like Nebraska, Texas, Wisconsin - if you can't stand out, you will get passed over by an incoming recruit or knocked down by a portal transfer. 

Best of luck to Mel, Texas fans don't have any hard feelings here.  She's not leaving like Lexi Sun - we truly want what is best for Mel! 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Deandre Pierce in the transfer portal. I hope she finds a place where she can get some playing time. Regardless, nice memory to take with her this season, to say the least. 

Also not a surprise. Best of luck to her! 

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/1605260026691592200?s=46&t=g7-lEzNd-85mk4wxuQPv-Q

what a bizarre nonbraggable fact.  Do they mean second most, behind 2018?

No, last year's championship match - which was a barn burner between the two biggest fan bases in volleyball, Nebraska and Wisconsin - averaged over 1.1 million. 

The match between the two program this year which was only shown on the Big 10 Network (BTN) attracted 589k viewers. 

I'm a little disappointed in the numbers, but that's okay. The overall trend is up, but currently the fanbase is being dominated by Big 10 schools. Both attendance and television ratings are through the roof in the Big 10. Not quite as much throughout the rest of the country. Of course Texas home games being shown on LHN doesn't help, but even the ESPN broadcasts didn't attract anything approaching the numbers the Big 10 showdowns racked up on BTN. UT's biggest regular season draw was one of the Ohio State matches. 

Baby Spice is big time!

Indy's Emma Halter on Texas volleyball's national title run: 'I've just been on a high' (yahoo.com)

The Texas coaches reworked virtually everything from Halter's form and the height of her pass to teaching her to use her arms more and move her feet less. It felt like they were changing her entire game, which was a bit overwhelming at first, Halter said, but the results were immediate.

So we can develop defensive players now?  Thank you, David Hunt! 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

With Akana's brother committing, I am less worried she was a possible transfer candidate, like going back home to Hawaii for her final year, because one of Barnes or Halter is winning the libero jersey.  But with her brother committing, and her serving the championship ace, she staying.  

3 littles is the recipe. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/20/2022 at 8:02 AM, Js1 said:

Yeah, she has a wicked serve, but she's still just a 5'11 outside hitter competing with Skinner (6'2), Byrd (6'4), Kahahawai (6'4) and Helmers (6'4) on the roster (or soon to be, in January).  Great, she's also capable of playing 6 rotations too - except we have Halter, Akana and Carissa Barnes coming in and we just won a title by focusing on one 6 rotation OH and one 4 rotation OH, while utilizing the hell out of our littles to dig and pass.  Skinner will take over the Eggleston 6 rotation role, while whoever wins that second OH2 spot will play the Skinner 3 or 4 (serving) rotations role. 

And we just abused a team with multiple 6'0 OHs in a three set championship match sweep. 

She will get picked up by a good program - a TCU or aggy if she wants to stay in Texas. Unfortunately, that's just the nature of the portal beast.  Programs like Nebraska, Texas, Wisconsin - if you can't stand out, you will get passed over by an incoming recruit or knocked down by a portal transfer. 

Best of luck to Mel, Texas fans don't have any hard feelings here.  She's not leaving like Lexi Sun - we truly want what is best for Mel! 

Yep, I know it was somewhat inevitable, and you summarize the reasons nicely.  For whatever reason, though, I was rooting for her and am sad to see her go.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, here on the 10th anniversary/second NC, pretty sure @Js1 has been leading the charge on informational posts about recruiting, scouting, and team info for pretty much the entire time.

So, thanks, my man, it is much appreciated.  I've learned a lot from you and the other regs on this thread and its predecessors.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

With Akana's brother committing, I am less worried she was a possible transfer candidate, like going back home to Hawaii for her final year, because one of Barnes or Halter is winning the libero jersey.  But with her brother committing, and her serving the championship ace, she staying.  

3 littles is the recipe. 

Also, a couple of times during the FInal, they mentioned that she had Texas on her "dreamboard" or some such as a child or teen.

That made me wonder if she was something of a recruiting miss by Elliott or what. 

Of course, until pretty recently, as a little, you probably take a Corn offer over Texas all day everyday.  Hopefully, that is changing.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, a couple of times during the FInal, they mentioned that she had Texas on her "dreamboard" or some such as a child or teen.

That made me wonder if she was something of a recruiting miss by Elliott or what. 

Of course, until pretty recently, as a little, you probably take a Corn offer over Texas all day everyday.  Hopefully, that is changing.

She and Iosia were the same class I believe. Iosia had more accolades in HS I believe. 

• Hook 'Em 1