Can we get a San Antonio sub in this forum?

Hozz

5 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

All the Mexican-Americans I know from San Antone call it that with the accent.

I've spent well over 30 years in total living here and I never hear it pronounced like that unless it's someone trying to be cute so let's just end this stupid debate.

• Hook 'Em 1

George Strait, Doug Sahm, Bob Wills?
Bunch of fucking white people fucking up a Spanish name. Unfortunately par for the course in this country. 
Fuck anyone who says San Antone

Well the Spanish that named it that were a bunch of murdering disease carrying conquistadores and priests, so you should be calling it by whatever the Tonkawas called it.

22 hours ago, Hermanator said:

George Strait, Doug Sahm, Bob Wills?

Bunch of fucking white people fucking up a Spanish name. Unfortunately par for the course in this country. 

Fuck anyone who says San Antone

BREAKING: English speaking country anglicizes words. Ask a Miller/Mueller about their name situations.

As for San Antone it serves more than one purpose. Obviously it kinda anglicizes it, but more importantly it keeps to the Texas (And probably other places) tradition of making words less syllables than they really need to be. If you can get your point off using less breaths and effort to do so, then by all means. Saying "San Antone" cuts the syllable count down from five to three, and honestly you can probably say two, as most people who use it probably only say "San 'Tone.'

Anyway. Hope to see you in San 'Tone some day, bud!

Edited by UncleBuck

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Well the Spanish that named it that were a bunch of murdering disease carrying conquistadores and priests, so you should be calling it by whatever the Tonkawas called it.

Yah but the ones who came over in 1731 may be where our chili originates from, so let's cut them a slight amount of slack. Overall, though, point taken CLOAK ROOM

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

BREAKING: English speaking country anglicizes words. Ask a Miller/Mueller about their name situations.

As for San Antone it serves more than one purpose. Obviously it kinda anglicizes it, but more importantly it keeps to the Texas (And probably other places) tradition of making words less syllables than they really need to be. If you can get your point off using less breaths and effort to do so, then by all means. Saying "San Antone" cuts the syllable count down from five to three, and honestly you can probably say two, as most people who use it probably only say "San 'Tone.'

Anyway. Hope to see you in San 'Tone some day, bud!

I live here, I’m Mexican-American, and I’ve heard “San Anto” (mostly from hardcore Mexicans) way more than San Antone, and “SA” way more than both of those combined. They’re both the same or fewer syllables than “San Antone”, and are both less condescending to boot. Everyone here says either San Antonio or SA really. 

I’ve legit never heard “San ‘Tone” in my life. You went off the deep end there.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

FFS, are you that gotdamn dense?

*EDIT: Wait, don't have to answer that. The density. Aaron Judge. Gunna go ahead and iggy this one out. You have a good one. 

Edited by UncleBuck

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

I live here, I’m Mexican-American, and I’ve heard “San Anto” (mostly from hardcore Mexicans) way more than San Antone, and “SA” way more than both of those combined. They’re both the same or fewer syllables than “San Antone”, and are both less condescending to boot. Everyone here says either San Antonio or SA really. 

I think you're hearing Ese.  Like - Why the hell do we need a sub for San Antone, Ese.

• Haha 1